(Topic ID: 177053)

Flight 2000 resto/shop job, got it complete now.

By northerndude

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0984 (resized).JPG
IMG_0988 (resized).JPG
IMG_0982 (resized).JPG
IMG_1261 (resized).JPG
IMG_1260 (resized).JPG
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
IMG_0976 (resized).JPG
IMG_1259 (resized).JPG
IMG_0972 (resized).JPG
IMG_0918 (resized).JPG
IMG_0917 (resized).JPG
IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
IMG_0879 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-18-08 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-17-56 (resized).png
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 7 years ago

<------------Put your hand up if your as excited as this guy!!!!!

IMG_0879 (resized).JPGIMG_0879 (resized).JPG

#52 7 years ago

Awwwwwww yeah! Congrats, man! Let us know how it goes!

#53 7 years ago

I think your gonna need a LOT more Swedish fish !!!!

IMO keep the original pop-caps

#54 7 years ago

As Forrest told Jenny - "I ate some" already

As for the old parts, I'm like a pack rat, they will end up in box and kept

#55 7 years ago

If you want to replace the stand up target, bob langelius have them in opaque white, yellow and red!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-transparent-targets#post-2587205

#56 7 years ago

What a freakin messy work area, lol.

Picking away at it! Just did my first drop target rebuild, put in brand new targets.

Took out a 1 and four S's

IMG_0898 (resized).JPGIMG_0898 (resized).JPG

IMG_0917 (resized).JPGIMG_0917 (resized).JPG

IMG_0918 (resized).JPGIMG_0918 (resized).JPG

#57 7 years ago

I just parted out a F2K and I have a ton of playfield assemblies and all of the unique parts (except the spinner assemblies) if you need anything.

#58 7 years ago
Quoted from BallyPinWiz:

I just parted out a F2K and I have a ton of playfield assemblies and all of the unique parts (except the spinner assemblies) if you need anything.

Sent you PM

#59 7 years ago

Having a few problems. Put it back together. Powers up of course, but then.........I am guessing it won't "boot"?

I should mention I added an NVram adapter, i'm assuming I messed something up with that...hmm
I posted a few videos,

First is powering up
Second is one button hit test mode
Third is attract mode with me new fancy LED's, including the quick change color leds on rocket blaster area. Too bad the backglass has the paint problems it does though

I think the speaker is effed, also not much for sound attempt, ie: speech

#60 7 years ago

The game is booting up properly, as far as i can see. You wouldn't be able to get it into self-test mode if it wasn't. Have you tried adding credits? Game won't start without credits!

#61 7 years ago

I'm not sure if you need to setup the bookkeeping functions, did you get the correct NVRAM ? mine plugs into both u8 & u13 sockets having the MPU-200 board.

I tried starting my table up with the 3 balls in shooter lane to see if that might be the issue ... played a neat instant muliti-ball anyways

#62 7 years ago

Should be good to go, yeah, no bookkeeping setup, I'll have to research that

IMG_0972 (resized).JPGIMG_0972 (resized).JPG

#63 7 years ago

Couple things..

With any of these games there's some DIP switch settings that will control max credits, display of credits, match features, etc. There's then also high score levels and bookkeeping values stored in the 5101 RAM that needs to be zero'd out -- you get to those via the self-test switch (see below).

Here's the manual:
http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/887/Stern_1980_Flight_2000_Manual.pdf

Take a look at Page 10 for the DIP switch settings.

Page 6 will then have the self-test & bookkeeping functions listed.

The first five times you hit the button will be self-tests, number of the test will be on the credit display.
01 - Burn-in test, all outputs tested
02 - Lamp test, all feature lamps turned on and off
03 - Display test
04 - Solenoid test
05 - Switch test

Hitting self-test again, you should see 01 on the credit display. That's the start of the bookkeeping.. 01, 02, 03 are high score thresholds you can set... the remaining of the bookkeeping functions are things that the game keeps track of (number of coins, replays, etc). You'll need to zero each bookkeeping value out first by hitting momentary button at the top right of the MPU board. For the high score levels (01, 02, 03) you can use the credit button (game start) to set the high score level. Everything else just gets zero'd out. Press the self-test button to advance to the next bookkeeping value, zero-out, self-test to advance, zero out, etc. After bookkeeping function 18 it'll restart the MPU.

Try zero'ing out the bookkeeping and setting some of the DIP switch settings mentioned in the manual. It looks like the game is booting and just not showing a high score? Does it start a game if you press the start button with the correct number of balls in the ball trough?

Hopefully that gets you further along..

#64 7 years ago

No, won't display high score or start game, the new ram will be empty , I'll run through those tests and settings , thanks for the thourough post and explanation!

#65 7 years ago

Well, headway made. I went through all of the bookkeeping functions 6-18, it tops out at 18.

After the reboot after zeroing out each test, I got the attract mode with credits actually going up when coin inserted. (Big break). BUT on the display to the right of the credits I am getting a number, it's 90 now. Thinking it's an error? I'll keep looking.

Edit 2-Make it 80 now, not 90

Edit3 - lol, was getting a switch # on display during switch test, 29, I guess i got it cleared as I now have the O flashing, went through the tests, pin restarted and now I have what I think is error 20

#66 7 years ago

Ah, whoops... you're right it tops out at 18. I just looked at the manual's bookkeeping functions & it mentions "test switch push number" 23 is bookkeeping function 18.

Is the 20 showing up on the 4th player display? Can you start a game now?

#67 7 years ago

No the 20 is in the box on the right side of the credit display. And no, it cannot use the credit button yet to start a game.
After much screwing around at the switch test, the switch 33 kept coming up. And then I read the paper I've seen a hundred times but never read it that says "When self test switch is in switch mode and ball is in the outhole, the number 33 will appear as closed switch" well at least that settles that!! Damn. Lol

Also, just took massive steps back as one of the restarts it did, the GI went out, I'm thinking it's doing something finally, then I smell the smell and unplug, 20A GI dude blown and it stinks, actually can't dial it to any certain thing in the cabinet. Faaaaaack sakes!!!

#68 7 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

No the 20 is in the box on the right side of the credit display. And no, it cannot use the credit button yet to start a game.
After much screwing around at the switch test, the switch 33 kept coming up. And then I read the paper I've seen a hundred times but never read it that says "When self test switch is in switch mode and ball is in the outhole, the number 33 will appear as closed switch" well at least that settles that!! Damn. Lol
Also, just took massive steps back as one of the restarts it did, the GI went out, I'm thinking it's doing something finally, then I smell the smell and unplug, 20A GI dude blown and it stinks, actually can't dial it to any certain thing in the cabinet. Faaaaaack sakes!!!

I had another table that a staple came loose on the bare lamp buss wire on back-box door & blew a fuse.

I noticed on my F2K there is a lamp close to the latch that I put a piece of duct tape over to insulate (I forget if I blew a fuse on this table or not)

I imagine you only removed and re-installed the MPU board. I am not sure if unhooking sound card will or lamp driver board will help troubleshoot start-up troubles ,

IMG_1259 (resized).JPGIMG_1259 (resized).JPG

#69 7 years ago

Found the GI problem. I'm calm and now done going a little bit ape shit, though it was worse, bayonet socket spun and got shorted right out on very bottom of PF. The spade part was on the left and got squished right against the socket. Photo included . Will try unhooking sound board, and try powering up, I have no speech either, might be effed? I'll keep looking

IMG_0976 (resized).JPGIMG_0976 (resized).JPG

#70 7 years ago

It went from 80 to 20, now to 40 with A-720 voice disconnected.

IMG_0978 (resized).JPGIMG_0978 (resized).JPG

#71 7 years ago

<snip this> I JUST noticed a comment for the upper image asking about a chip in U10 socket, <snip this>

mine has it , I don't have the skillz yet to know what it does

IMG_1260 (resized).JPGIMG_1260 (resized).JPG

#72 7 years ago

I looked at pics you posted when you brought table home.

https://images.pinside.com/0/a6/0a64f69a11ba166fe472d0548c0f9839475b38ad/resized/large/0a64f69a11ba166fe472d0548c0f9839475b38ad.jpg

the sound board wasn't connected there either, that purple ribbon cable connects to the lamp driver board at 17 , (the one in my pic is grey)

I also noticed you do have a chip in socket u10

are you getting the 7 flashes ?

#73 7 years ago

triple post

It went from 80 to 20, now to 40 with A-720 voice disconnected.

I thought you were asking about u10 on MPU board ....

my apologies

IMG_1261 (resized).JPGIMG_1261 (resized).JPG

#74 7 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

triple post

I thought you were asking about u10 on MPU board ....
my apologies

Thank you for that pic!! I had the harnesses crossed, voice and sound is clear now, awesome.

BUT still doesn't clear that 80 on my display, lol. I can't start a game yet.

To add on, I get the 7 beeps, and the coil run through at the multi ball contraption, then goes to my attract mode with 06 credits and now 90 to the right of it. This thing is schitzo

#75 7 years ago

Thank you for that pic!! I had the harnesses crossed, voice and sound is clear now, awesome.
BUT still doesn't clear that 80 on my display, lol. I can't start a game yet.
To add on, I get the 7 beeps, and the coil run through at the multi ball contraption, then goes to my attract mode with 06 credits and now 90 to the right of it. This thing is schitzo

The number in the right of the credit display is the match number. It's been a while since I've worked with an MPU-200 machine, but that match number probably reflects the last match number given. Or it may be random each start-up. I'm a bit rusty on the expected behavior since it's been a few years since I've had a F2K or MPU-200 machine setup other than a Black Beauty Shuffle Alley.

Coils in the multi-ball loop should activate at some point to kick any balls out, I'm not sure if activating on start-up is expected.. but I think it activates those 3 times to kick the 3 balls out that could possibly be there. Someone else would need to confirm that though.

Are the 06 credits showing not what was there when the game last was turned off? That number should reflect the last number of credits that were on the machine. So if you add a 2x more credits via coin switches it should show 08 any time the game is started up until you start playing some games on the machine.

As far as starting a game, are all the balls in the ball trough? Some games need to recognize all the balls via the ball trough switches before they'll allow you to start a game. It looked like your board got hit a bit by battery leakage -- is there any discoloration over by the J3 header on the MPU (cabinet switches)? You may want to try wiggling that connector slightly and then pressing the credit/start button (again, with all the balls in the ball trough).

#76 7 years ago
Quoted from acebathound:

The number in the right of the credit display is the match number. It's been a while since I've worked with an MPU-200 machine, but that match number probably reflects the last match number given. Or it may be random each start-up. I'm a bit rusty on the expected behavior since it's been a few years since I've had a F2K or MPU-200 machine setup other than a Black Beauty Shuffle Alley.
Coils in the multi-ball loop should activate at some point to kick any balls out, I'm not sure if activating on start-up is expected.. but I think it activates those 3 times to kick the 3 balls out that could possibly be there. Someone else would need to confirm that though.
Are the 06 credits showing not what was there when the game last was turned off? That number should reflect the last number of credits that were on the machine. So if you add a 2x more credits via coin switches it should show 08 any time the game is started up until you start playing some games on the machine.
As far as starting a game, are all the balls in the ball trough? Some games need to recognize all the balls via the ball trough switches before they'll allow you to start a game. It looked like your board got hit a bit by battery leakage -- is there any discoloration over by the J3 header on the MPU (cabinet switches)? You may want to try wiggling that connector slightly and then pressing the credit/start button (again, with all the balls in the ball trough).

If I put in 2 coins and keep it or do a re-start, yes that number goes up and stays and reflects the credits. I think to pic you are viewing with the red nvram was a pic from a fellow poster that was helping with pics for me. I have done some serious wiggling of connectors and had three balls in trough, still won't begin a game. It looks so much like its good to go, but ohh so close.

#77 7 years ago

If the balls are all in the trough it should not be cycling the multi ball contraption.You should get the 7 beeps and be able to start a game.

#78 7 years ago

Have you verified the start button switch is good? You can test it in the switch test (5 presses on the coin door diagnostic switch, you discovered it earlier in this thread). It will come up as 06 on the displays when you push it while in the switch test.

#79 7 years ago

If I put in 2 coins and keep it or do a re-start, yes that number goes up and stays and reflects the credits. I think to pic you are viewing with the red nvram was a pic from a fellow poster that was helping with pics for me. I have done some serious wiggling of connectors and had three balls in trough, still won't begin a game. It looks so much like its good to go, but ohh so close.

Was referring to this pic: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-flight-2000-repair-and-if-i-should-purchase/page/2#post-3633445 -- I just noticed some discoloration in the ground trace at the bottom of the board & some green/blue at one of the battery through-holes. It doesn't look too bad though.

You'll probably want to go into switch test (via self-test button) and try each of the ball trough switches independently to make sure they're being registered. And also try the credit switch that way too.

#80 7 years ago
Quoted from goochos:

If the balls are all in the trough it should not be cycling the multi ball contraption.You should get the 7 beeps and be able to start a game.

If I run through the diag tests and finish it after #18 it does the multiball contraption, but if I do the quick on/off and balls in trough, It skips that and I get 7 beeps and it finishes quickly.

Quoted from frunch:

Have you verified the start button switch is good? You can test it in the switch test (5 presses on the coin door diagnostic switch, you discovered it earlier in this thread). It will come up as 06 on the displays when you push it while in the switch test.

Holy crap, if that's it i might have a bird. Done several switch tests, but don't know if I actually did the start button :/

#81 7 years ago

You said on startup with all 3 balls in trough you get 7 beeps and it goes straight to attract mode. This is great, just what it should do so I think your trough switches are good. Test that start switch...

#82 7 years ago

i cycled starting mine a few times and I got a couple different match #'s for no reason doesn't correspond to a stuck switch or anything ( turned on holding a different switched closed each time )

I hope he's off playing the thing .... / me crosses fingers

#83 7 years ago

IT WAS THE CREDIT SWITCH, I just shit a bird! There was an open on it. lol. I am a troubleshooter for a living, and I went past the easy thing and went to the difficult thoughts instead using of the K.I.S.S method. Thanks for the thoughts folks. Much appreciated.

Also, like a said earlier, thanks for that photo @chas10e, helped me tons.

This pin works, need to adjust my right slingshot as it goes a bit into machine gun about 4 times mode when hit, switch must be too close.
Also the 1-5 drop targets need an adjustment, not all go up every time, intermittent trouble.

#84 7 years ago

IT WAS THE CREDIT SWITCH

Ahhhhh!!! That's great! Enjoy the fruits of your labor. Congrats!!

#85 7 years ago

w00t \o/

the lit drop should be the last one to stay up, if dropped in sequence there is some kind of bonus

#86 7 years ago

Also the 1-5 drop targets need an adjustment, not all go up every time, intermittent trouble.

In attract mode, push all 5 drops down, than start a new game...it will reset the bank and all 5 drops should come up and stay. If that happens you may be fine. The drops reset after each ball and redrop to last lit target. Inlanes also drop lit target.

However, if on game start they don't hold...you did replace these targets, and some of the new ones don't quite reach to grab the edge of playfield. You can adjust the bar that pushes them up so it is level, and might have to add some material to reset bar to help push drops up higher on reset. I used a cut stack of duct tape under drops 4 and 5 only.

Glad you have it working finally!

#87 7 years ago

At the risk of hi jacking your thread, I do wonder if you or anyone else has an opinion on flipper position. My flippers rest downward so they rest right on the little metal posts under them, was that way when I bought it. I can hit the spinners and drops well, but if I catch the ball on left flipper I cannot hit it off the heel straight up to hit bonus advance target, and I think that is a shot that should be makeable. Maybe raising the flippers up so they are inline with inlane guides will fix that shot, but with this being a wide body will that make hitting the spinners more difficult?

#88 7 years ago
Quoted from swillie:

At the risk of hi jacking your thread, I do wonder if you or anyone else has an opinion on flipper position. My flippers rest downward so they rest right on the little metal posts under them, was that way when I bought it. I can hit the spinners and drops well, but if I catch the ball on left flipper I cannot hit it off the heel straight up to hit bonus advance target, and I think that is a shot that should be makeable. Maybe raising the flippers up so they are inline with inlane guides will fix that shot, but with this being a wide body will that make hitting the spinners more difficult?

Dude, not highjacking at all, because I have been wondering the exact same thing since I rebuilt the flippers. Most pins have them more "aligned" with the inlane, but they are far down and rest on those pins. Is there a default position? anyone....anyone?

#89 7 years ago

mine are resting on them pins also , I can hit the bonus target with either flipper ...well sometimes anyways

I am not sure if all flippers supposed to line up with in-lanes or not myself

#90 7 years ago

Looking at the flyer for the game it shows the flippers angled lower like we have them. I'm thinking that is how they should be. I can hit every shot, even the standup from right flipper occasionally. Left flipper seems I either hit left slingshot, or miss standup to the right. Maybe I can move left sling post over a little to make room for that shot...

#91 7 years ago

Here's a couple shots of my finished product. I am loving playing it BTW, I can't stop trying for the multi-ball, trying is the keyword!!

IMG_0982 (resized).JPGIMG_0982 (resized).JPG

IMG_0988 (resized).JPGIMG_0988 (resized).JPG

IMG_0984 (resized).JPGIMG_0984 (resized).JPG

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Playfield - Other
Bob's Pinball Stuff

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-flight-2000-repair-and-if-i-should-purchase/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.