(Topic ID: 177053)

Flight 2000 resto/shop job, got it complete now.

By northerndude

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0984 (resized).JPG
IMG_0988 (resized).JPG
IMG_0982 (resized).JPG
IMG_1261 (resized).JPG
IMG_1260 (resized).JPG
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
IMG_0978 (resized).JPG
IMG_0976 (resized).JPG
IMG_1259 (resized).JPG
IMG_0972 (resized).JPG
IMG_0918 (resized).JPG
IMG_0917 (resized).JPG
IMG_0898 (resized).JPG
IMG_0879 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-18-08 (resized).png
Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-17-56 (resized).png
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Hey folks, I have a line on a Flight 2000 about 2 blocks away from my house and have a question about a part on it. The machine playfield has normal 37 yr wear, with some paint missing dead center of the board but the rest is in decent condition, I think I would just clean it extensively and protect it and not attempt any type of repaint situation.

BUT, in the following photo I will post from my phone, the fuse board looks to have some definite previous heat issues AND there is fuses missing. The potential seller said the fuse(s) were blowing. So I know there is some issue somewhere, but won't know the depth unless I buy it. Is the following fuse board a standard '77-'80 Stern part? Is there a remake out there ? by Rottendog possibly?

#2 7 years ago

IMG_0571 (resized).JPGIMG_0571 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Is there a remake out there

Several people have remade them.

However, the fuse that is missing is for the coils, so the problem may be elsewhere in the game.

If it's available for a good price and the cosmetics are decent, you should already be in your car bringing it home

#4 7 years ago

Rebuild kits and instructions for those boards are common. The only pain is the wires from the transformer are soldered to the back. Steve Kulpa has some nice photos on his web site. About $80 if you go for a full replacement.

Have you seen the mpu? If it's been sitting battery damage can be an issue. About 110 for a reconditioned board or 200 for an altek.

F2K is a fun game, great spinner rips and a difficult multiball. You may be looking at 280 in new boards so offer accordingly.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

200 for an altek.

A alltek in canada is between 350 and 400 canadain by the time you get it to your house.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

A alltek in canada is between 350 and 400 canadain by the time you get it to your house.

OOF, forgot about exchange rates

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Rebuild kits and instructions for those boards are common. The only pain is the wires from the transformer are soldered to the back. Steve Kulpa has some nice photos on his web site. About $80 if you go for a full replacement.
Have you seen the mpu? If it's been sitting battery damage can be an issue. About 110 for a reconditioned board or 200 for an altek.
F2K is a fun game, great spinner rips and a difficult multiball. You may be looking at 280 in new boards so offer accordingly.

I wasn't smart enough to peek at the battery housing
The MPU looked quite clean and tidy.

I think I may be able to acquire it for $300-400, if I word the offer right....

#8 7 years ago

I think I may be able to acquire it for $300-400, if I word the offer right....

$300-400 you say?
Do you consider yourself to be a thief because that would be quite a steal!

#9 7 years ago

What you haven't bought it yet?!?

#10 7 years ago

Ha, we hadn't fully talked price yet until now. I went over a checked it out last night. and did some research this morning on repairs.

He just told me his bottom dollar is $500, that's a green light for me.

#11 7 years ago

Why are you still here?

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Why are you still here?

I wasn't here, I was picking it up. It's in the garage!

New project, here we go, new learning curve for me.

#13 7 years ago

NICE!!! Congrats!!!! This was a fun thread to read. Definitely post to the solid state tech group here if you have any trouble. Good luck with it!

#14 7 years ago

I wasn't here, I was picking it up. It's in the garage!
New project, here we go, new learning curve for me.

Nicely done!

#15 7 years ago

GPE has their replacement rectifier board in stock.
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=135-105

I recently bought one from them, but haven't had time to install it yet.

#16 7 years ago

dont replace , repair , its the easiest board to learn and work on.

#17 7 years ago

it could be a standard 7A fuse was blowing and not the recommended slow-blow fuse

I'd check for a burnt solenoid someplace & all new caps on solenoid driver-board

nice find

#18 7 years ago

Some pictures .... I paid $500 for mine too and saved it from becoming a virtual pin cab. Congrats, it's a great game.

#19 7 years ago

I'll take a few pics tonight. Searching town for some slow blow fuses today, fucked if I can find any. I got looked at like I was talking pig Latin most times. Found a few here at work, but couldn't find a 7A

#20 7 years ago

I'll take a few pics tonight. Searching town for some slow blow fuses today, fucked if I can find any. I got looked at like I was talking pig Latin most times. Found a few here at work, but couldn't find a 7A

finding these places is half the fun. building electrical supply, radio shack has either 6 or 8 amp slo blo fuses

I just looked in mine and it has an "AGC 5amp" fuse which is a fast acting fuse it's holding & a lower amperage so I'm ok on that one. might be an amp over on another though

#21 7 years ago

I'm quite amazed at the cleanliness of it, no stale stank, definitely has not been in a bar or an old 80's arcade. Rough in the centre above the flippers. Needs several rebuilds, flippers, pop bumpers, etc. Do sleeves, springs, prob do some coils. Some plastics broken. The back glass is dried up and paint flaking tiny flakes, looks good, but lit up has several "pinholes" peering through.

I need to learn about what to do/can i do with older machine. LED's? Just protect playfield and leave it as is? How far to go and so on I suppose....

IMG_0595 (resized).JPGIMG_0595 (resized).JPG
IMG_0596 (resized).JPGIMG_0596 (resized).JPG
IMG_0597 (resized).JPGIMG_0597 (resized).JPG
IMG_0598 (resized).JPGIMG_0598 (resized).JPG
IMG_0599 (resized).JPGIMG_0599 (resized).JPG
IMG_0600 (resized).JPGIMG_0600 (resized).JPG
IMG_0601 (resized).JPGIMG_0601 (resized).JPG

#22 7 years ago

Looks like a great find! Also, doesn't look like there is any battery damage, but I would recommend removing it ASAP and putting on a NVRAM adaptor: http://nvram.weebly.com/ (STERN MPU-200) or http://www.pinitech.com/products/stern_mpu200_nvram.php

#23 7 years ago

Cool, I read it over, it says the old is very static sensitive and can cause funny issues. The old owner mentioned it would toss out an extra ball on occasion and was flaky.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Looks like a great find! Also, doesn't look like there is any battery damage, but I would recommend removing it ASAP and putting on a NVRAM adaptor: http://nvram.weebly.com/ (STERN MPU-200) or http://www.pinitech.com/products/stern_mpu200_nvram.php

I got the red one on my board for U13 & U8 sockets ... not sure about shipping requirements to Canada

the 2 big caps on solenoid driver board look like the originals

the EEPROM's could use a sticker over their windows.

you''l have to watch the original Karate Kid movie

#25 7 years ago

Yeah, probably have to hammer off 40 coats of wax

I fired it up for the first time this afternoon. Amazingly enough, other than the drop target issues, all components seem to be currently working. But every component is working quite sloppy. Did a quick video when i tried it out, didn't want to make it long so I sucked ass at playing.

#26 7 years ago

yeah high score to date memory looks corrupted can clear it & see if new one holds , prolly need a new battery or the NVRAM adaptor as described above.

captured ball works perfectly

I'll be ordering 5 new numbered drops for mine soon, I hadn't messed with those yet

#27 7 years ago

Yeah, ordered an nvram and an led adaptor yesterday. I'll assess the rest of the parts to order slowly throughout the month then make a big order.
I'm happy with the captured ball movement, I was tentative about that

#28 7 years ago

Sifting through coils and such, found about 1/2 my sleeves were aluminum. lol, never changed i'm sure. Such an inexpensive maintenance item. time to update the "Cart"

#29 7 years ago

Sifting through coils and such, found about 1/2 my sleeves were aluminum. lol, never changed i'm sure. Such an inexpensive maintenance item. time to update the "Cart"

Fun game. I love the left spinner!

#30 7 years ago

Hey again, I changed the title as I now am just planning my repairs and restoration.

Has anyone that owns the machine messed with any of the colour scheme?? ie: - Posts, lane guides?

This thing has 34 - 1-3/16 Red posts and 22 - 1-1/16 Red posts - fairly redundant to me, anyone mixed in any other colours to jazz it up?

I have my NVRam and LED adaptor coming. I'm just trying to figure out if I should go with a bit more of the retro look with "warm" LED's or go with the brighter "White" ones? I will be doing color match led's for the inserts, i think that makes them look fantastic. Blue on blue is my favourite for sure!!

Now to the worn playfield. I don't have the artistic skills to attempt any kind of repair on it and don't quite know what alley to go to. Can I protect it with shitloads of coats of wax? Should I try a clear coat? I don't mind the "worn" look at all in the middle, it is 37 years old. I just want to made sure it's ok and not heading in the wrong direction by playing it. I didn't have any plans to strip the entire playfield bare top and bottom. A few pics to follow

IMG_0632 (resized).JPGIMG_0632 (resized).JPG

IMG_0638 (resized).JPGIMG_0638 (resized).JPG

IMG_0635 (resized).JPGIMG_0635 (resized).JPG

IMG_0659 (resized).JPGIMG_0659 (resized).JPG

IMG_0683 (resized).JPGIMG_0683 (resized).JPG

IMG_0688 (resized).JPGIMG_0688 (resized).JPG

IMG_0680 (resized).JPGIMG_0680 (resized).JPG

#31 7 years ago

Mine came with black rubbers when I found it. they looked better than the white ones I saw everywhere else & work really well.

I did get them 5 numbered new drop targets but still need to install them from PBResource they look terrific , the 3 drops on the right on mine looked ok but I have a feeling after I put these in I will wish I had gotten those as well.

what I have there and think are the correct ones would be the "S-Box" in blue http://pbresource.com/pfdroptar.htm#Stern

the only lighting "mod" I did was to use #455 lamps behind the meteor on the backglass

IMG_1196 (resized).JPGIMG_1196 (resized).JPG

#32 7 years ago

Yeah, I also have the full drop target set in the Cart to order. Mine are very worn out and it's tough for them to stay up, the lip that keeps them up must be worn down and the edge is gone.

#33 7 years ago

went to mess with them targets last night & see a couple of the short shafts with the e-clips missing .... I can't seem to find a part # or description for these. most probably a common hardware-store item.

my machine is working for now & only get a few random drops, I got another project pin I need to get going before I dis-able my F2k

#34 7 years ago

Yeah, I also have the full drop target set in the Cart to order. Mine are very worn out and it's tough for them to stay up, the lip that keeps them up must be worn down and the edge is gone.

I'm sure you know this, but those 1-5 drop targets have memory so they do some quirky things when you first encounter this game. If you start a new game they should all come up and stay up...drop all 5 and again they should all reset, good way to test them (during multiplayer games they will all reset and then the solenoids will knock some back down to put them back where they were when last ball fell out).

I have replaced the drops on a friends game. The metal bar that pushes all 5 drops back up can be adjusted so they all come up level, but also so that when the targets fall down the same bar is not stopping any targets from dropping all the way down level with playfield. On my machine, I actually had to build up the bar on one side under drops 4-5 with a stack of thin strips of ducktape, so that those targets would come up enough to catch and stay up. Was easy to fine tune and worked perfect. On my friends machine someone had previously put a small button of silicone type caulk on the bar where each drop contacted it, I assume for the same reason so they would come up enough to grab and stay up. Just some thoughts...

Hey, also if you put rapid led multicolor flashers behind the rocketships thruster flames in the backglass it really brings them alive...

#35 7 years ago

When I have it a run last week the 5 targets were resetting every time the ball passed through the left outlane, lol. I will have new memory in it soon and I'm sure some jumbled up info will get straightened out.

Anyone have any thoughts on the playfield?

#36 7 years ago

When I have it a run last week the 5 targets were resetting every time the ball passed through the left outlane, lol. I will have new memory in it soon and I'm sure some jumbled up info will get straightened out.

#37 7 years ago

Here's my first shot at printing and applying my own decals. Give it a try.I couldnt print the whole planet in one decal,but its the enemy of bad,*its better!

IMG_20170114_192908 (resized).jpgIMG_20170114_192908 (resized).jpg

IMG_20170115_174845 (resized).jpgIMG_20170115_174845 (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

Heres my finished product ,I was able to print a larger decal. The worst part is that my laser printer wont match the orange. I am not artistic at all, so maybe you should think about giving it a try.It cant be worse than it is.

IMG_20170116_182514 (resized).jpgIMG_20170116_182514 (resized).jpg

#39 7 years ago

That might be how the drops work. If I remember right you're supposed to drop them in order. If you hit one out of order they reset once you hit the number you were supposed to. The outlane may spot one number. I can't remember that.

1 week later
#40 7 years ago
Quoted from goochos:

Heres my finished product ,I was able to print a larger decal. The worst part is that my laser printer wont match the orange. I am not artistic at all, so maybe you should think about giving it a try.It cant be worse than it is.

Is that also a decal below the planet around the 1x 2x and so on?

I really don't know what to do with the rest of my playfield. It is basically just dry and has the small spidery cracking of the old clearcoat.
Do I try to remove all hardware off top of PF and get it clearcoated? stuck....

Shitloads of parts in my cart and I just have to pull the trigger and complete the order. Flipper rebuilds, new rubber, new posts, all new sleeves, couple coils, credit sticker, Stern decal, new flipper buttons, pop bumper skirt, chrome ring and rod, lanes guides, new drop target kit, etc...... Found a NOS of the large 13D-128-2T from Sweden (Thanks Kristian!!) my old one was decent except for the two front spots that are behind the drop targets, the front 5/8" broke off the two that protrude.

NOW only if I can find the P8L & P8R plastics........

#41 7 years ago

I'd clean the playfield with novus 2, followed with a coat of wax and get it playing! Personally, I'd hold off on getting the pf cleared/restored until after you've decided the game's a keeper for your collection.

Just my 2 cents!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from frunch:

I'd clean the playfield with novus 2, followed with a coat of wax and get it playing! Personally, I'd hold off on getting the pf cleared/restored until after you've decided the game's a keeper for your collection.
Just my 2 cents!

Yeah, makes sense, the main centre playfield area is so dried up and has no coating, I don't even want to get crazy with any cleaners. I'll probably to all of the rest and just wax the shit out of it and get the rest upgraded then play. Might be a keeper or a trader in the end.

Just need to install the nvram and the led conversion kit soon also and get
it ready for my led order

#43 7 years ago

My bro scored two tables in pretty bad shape that i want to get working and restored. One is Flight 2000 and the other is Skateball. Both were purchased for $140 but are in need of some repair. Flight 2000 just "hums" real loud and all the lights turn on when plugged in. I cant get to tbe boards as I have no key. I know i need to drill out the key hole to get to the boards but then what is my next step? I am a first timer so I am really anxious to get this table in really decent shape but it is going to obviously take a lot of work. Any help would be appreciated. Ill get pics posted asap.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Dodiebird:

My bro scored two tables in pretty bad shape that i want to get working and restored. One is Flight 2000 and the other is Skateball. Both were purchased for $140 but are in need of some repair. Flight 2000 just "hums" real loud and all the lights turn on when plugged in. I cant get to tbe boards as I have no key. I know i need to drill out the key hole to get to the boards but then what is my next step? I am a first timer so I am really anxious to get this table in really decent shape but it is going to obviously take a lot of work. Any help would be appreciated. Ill get pics posted asap.

I'd recommend starting a new thread in the early solid-state tech forum here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/forum/tech-early-80s-solid-state

Best of luck with those games!

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from Dodiebird:

Good luck, use patience! Read, read, read and ask questions

#46 7 years ago

The only pic i have right now

Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-17-56 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-01-31-11-17-56 (resized).png

#47 7 years ago

Backglass is in bad shape too, but $140 for two tables can't beat that!

Screenshot_2017-01-31-11-18-08 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-01-31-11-18-08 (resized).png

#48 7 years ago
Quoted from Dodiebird:

do you have the key to the coin door ? may be the same key for the head -or- the head key might be on a hook over by the tilt mechinism

does it make any dinging noises on startup ? .... the dings correspond to the "seven flashes" on the MPU board .... you'll find out about the "seven flashes" here http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from chas10e:

do you have the key to the coin door ? may be the same key for the head -or- the head key might be on a hook over by the tilt mechinism
does it make any dinging noises on startup ? .... the dings correspond to the "seven flashes" on the MPU board .... you'll find out about the "seven flashes" here http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm

Yeah, I would search inside the entire cabinet for the head key

2 weeks later
#50 7 years ago

OMG, been soooo patient. I have a huge order i've been waiting for at least a month. Had everything shipped to the inlaws in Arizona in January. They are driving home to Sask as I type. I will have everthing about next wednesday, pumped to get at this thing!!!

Did shitloads of coats of wax after I cleaned the PF last week. NEED PARTS!!!!! ha!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
$ 10.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feedback-on-flight-2000-repair-and-if-i-should-purchase/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.