Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 68 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Rager170
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Vaping or Smoking”

• Vaping-not tar/should be safer 20 votes
      36%
    • Cigarettes-dead at 60 aint too bad 7 votes
      13%
    • Grow up and be miserable like me 29 votes
      52%

(56 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chemistry (resized).JPG
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    download (1) (resized).jpg
    A5B5D2ED-3BDA-4A62-B044-4ED4CB821881 (resized).jpeg
    hqdefault (resized).jpg
    images (resized).jpg
    drub (resized).png
    Candy-Cigarettes-Original-WEB_1000x1000 (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpg
    1731DD6C-995F-4DB3-B2F6-AEAE0C7B43B7 (resized).png
    smoke.gif
    RJR 1975 (resized).PNG
    unicorn-cakes-by-vape-breakfast-classics-90ml-blueberry-pancake-strawberry-milk-e-juice-800x800 (resized).jpg
    D9255B16-DF95-450C-BFE6-CC3A0250DCB5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider p1nhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#256 4 years ago

I am a physician and have personally treated, while in residency, teenagers and "adults" in their early twenties with lungs worse than a coal miner. Bronchiolitis obliterans is a horrible thing and something that should be a rarity in clinical practice, however, all these patients had one thing in common: diacetyl that is found in nearly all vaping juices (not to be confused with vitamin E acetate). Diacetyl is well studied, there is consensus and it is known to be dangerous to your health.

Further studies are still needed, but not because we lack consensus or sufficient insight with statistically significant p-values. We try to honor evidence based medicine and biostatistics in striving to design studies with more power, fewer errors, and minimal bias.

There was recently an example of a teenager that underwent bronchoscopy due to progressive dyspnea at rest (shortness of breath). Gobs of vaping juice (that was not vaporized) mixed with the body's natural defenders to form rather large plugs (noncaseating granulomas). Bronchoalveolar lavage was done and the kid could breath again, though complete recovery of lung function is unlikely. I have also seen the same illness in mid-40s men - incomplete vaporization led to an accumulation of vaping juice in the respiratory tree where the body's macrophages walled off the substance and formed granulomas.

We (the body of evidence based medicine) already know what pneumonitis leads to (incredibly common among vape users). Respiratory infections are increasing among those who vape. The mucocilliary system along the respiratory tree is dysfunctional just as with cigarettes - this same system that provides many of the symptoms in patients with CF. Many of the vaping juices come off the boat from China, early studies with murinae demonstrate mutogenic and carcinogenic potential of vaping liquids. Of course, many prospective studies are underway and many retrospective cohorts will be examined in the not-so-distsnt future. We are looking at mutogenic and carcinogenic compounds delivered into a vascular rich zone of the lungs with greatest perfusion. These chemicals being investigated are not the California prop-65 everything causes cancer type but real, legitimate, cancer-causing-screw-the-two-hit-hypothesis agents. There are also a myriad of implications beyond affects on lung pathophysiology (number one risk factor in bladder cancer is smoking, same goes for renal cell carcinoma not cause by VHL).

Bottom line: vaping is hazardous to your health, just as smoking cigarettes. Use the real thing if you are going to do it - at least we have more than a hundred years of scientific research, generally no surprises when a smoker falls ill.

While you are at it, go out to the local coffee shop and pick up a coffee stirrer. Take the deepest breath in that you can and then blow it all out through a coffee stirrer. That is the sensation you will experience as the damage to your lungs progresses to COPD. Some of the worst suffering I've witnessed.

If anyone would like help quitting, contact your 800 quit line. If you tried cold turkey (best method, it is what I did), then try the gum. If you tried the gum, then try the lozenges. Give the patch a whirl. Take an antidepressant with very high success rates. Try hypnosis. Join a gym. Get an accountability buddy. Lastly, ask for a medical-grade "vaping" device, the nicotine inhaler.

Every doctor on the planet would be super pumped if vaping was a safe alternative to cigarettes! Nonetheless, I am sorry to report they are not safe and carry a similar risk profile to anything you inhale deeply into the lungs.

I'll get off my soapbox now and return to pinball. Well, pinball once I put in work, nessun riposo per i malvagi!

#260 4 years ago
    Quoted from benheck:

At the end of the day people just like sticking things in their mouth. If the government makes it harder or less acceptable to do it one way (their 60 years and counting slow motion prohibition of smoking) people will just find something else.

I agree.

Part of me believes that the government should do jack about any of this. Maybe Allow our quasi free market forces to direct the future of the tobacco/nicotine industry. If anything, the FDA could establish standards of purity and require known harmful agents to be removed. Hell, once trial attorneys/medicolegal types get with the times there will be a metric tonne of briefs filed and plenty of juries to award multi-million dollar victories. Most companies will change their ways after the first successful lawsuit.

We could also discuss exclusion criteria in health insurance plans or risk-adjusted pricing (some plans do penalize you for smoking with higher premiums, deductibles, and maximum out of pocket expenses). I have no clue why I am forced to indemnify the risky behavior of others. If you want to skydive, shoot heroin, drive Nascar then there should be a risk-based adjustment for health insurance similar to the actuarial tables. You want to engage in a risky behavior with the potential to be a burden on the other people in the risk pool? Pay for it.

Severe taxes will be the likely solution though, just as with traditional tobacco products. It is an alinsky nudge that does not really affect behavior in the desired way. Nothing more frustrating than the patient that cannot pay a $40 copay for a colonoscopy that saved them from cancer yet they can afford to smoke nearly two cartons a month. Rather than getting reimbursed like I should, those tobacco tax dollars fund the oppressors. For almost every state it is a confiscatory windfall.

Remember all, we had a freaking revolution over a 3% tax. I didn't quit smoking for health reasons, that was a side effect. I quit because I woke up one day and realized big tobacco was controlling me - I hate losing autonomy! What made it worse was the state government in NY kept increasing their take... here I was, with hazardous substance use disorder and my own freaking government was charging me for it.

#262 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rager170:

So to recommend smoking as better simply doesnt make sense.

That was tongue in cheek, thought that was pretty obvious.

Also, the presence of vapor juice in hospital's doesn't mean it is okay for you. I bought one of my first pack of cigarettes in a hospital and just last week picked up a 20oz mountain dew along with a deep fried turkey and mashed potato sandwich with a side of extra creamy mac and cheese. The number one brand of cigarettes chosen by American physicians used to be Lucky Strike, no filter.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider p1nhead.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feds-ban-flavored-vape-liquid-cigarettes-fine?tu=p1nhead and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.