Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by gandamack
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

EE137907-5A7C-49F0-BF6D-FE7488BCAD6A (resized).jpeg
    52AD1D44-CD10-43E3-B3F0-36E1C39BE073 (resized).jpeg
    pee yew.gif
    pasted_imageace (resized).png
    wilson.gif

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 1 year ago

We use fedex at work and I'd fire them if I had any authority to do so.

-When those riots broke out in portland oregon, all packages at or near that distribution hub were frozen for over 30 days, and that terminal was shut down even though the riots were eventually controlled. These were super critical shipments not just ground stuff. They honestly couldn't care less and their reps were not in any authority to do anything. After the dust settled it was a fedex issue not a local government / law enforcement issue.

-They make ordering thermal printing supplies (like their own lables) very painful. It takes at least 15 minutes on the phone to get a roll of labels as their website will block you from ordering them unless it thinks you have used enough to justify the need to reorder.

-They run two different entities of their own company. Fedex Ground and Fedex Express. As a business if you have daily ground pickups thru fedex ground, your next day air express shipments do not get picked up. You need to drive them to a drop off location or schedule a pickup which never happens the same day. So your next day air is always 2 day air, and your 2 day air is always 3 day air.

I cant go any further as im starting to get mad typing this, but suffice to say they are really as bad as everyone says. Total scum.....

#52 1 year ago

They are aren't what they "used to be."
    I'm trying to get product to me for an event, here are my shipping options from UPS.
    Used to be a 3-day or next day air was a few bucks more, but wow.
    (And how is using 2 day, 1/3 the cost of using 3-day??)

Service Delivery Date Charge
    UPS GROUND 2 Days $52.84
    UPS 3 DAY SELECT $156.77
    UPS 2ND DAY AIR SAT $247.95
    UPS 2ND DAY AIR AM $287.62
    UPS NEXT DAY AIR SAVER $462.62
    UPS NEXT DAY AIR $484.35

#53 1 year ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

I'm trying to get product to me for an event, here are my shipping options from UPS.
    UPS GROUND 2 Days $52.84
    UPS 3 DAY SELECT $156.77
    UPS NEXT DAY AIR $484.35

UPS rates have been crazy since they went dimensional weight. Shaving inches off the box size saves tremendous amounts of money. I stock probably 20 box sizes at the moment, because the closer I can make the box to the size of the ramp, the more I can save the customer. A 24"x30"x8" box is 33% more to ship than a 24"x30"x5" box...even though my shipments are light. Dimensional weight really screwed shippers who deal in large but light products.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from twoplays25c:

UPS GROUND 2 Days $52.84
    UPS 3 DAY SELECT $156.77
    UPS NEXT DAY AIR $484.35

Quoted from JodyG:

UPS rates have been crazy since they went dimensional weight. Shaving inches off the box size saves tremendous amounts of money. I stock probably 20 box sizes at the moment, because the closer I can make the box to the size of the ramp, the more I can save the customer. A 24"x30"x8" box is 33% more to ship than a 24"x30"x5" box...even though my shipments are light. Dimensional weight really screwed shippers who deal in large but light products.

I'd suggest buying a scale and use a shipping label service. The rates are *substantially* better than retail at the counter. I've been using goshippo for quite a while now. It has a feature to compare all the major shippers once you enter the package's address, measurements, and weight. More often than not, UPS shows the lowest cost.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from Drain1:

Retired from FedEx EXPRESS after 40 plus years of service. Do not lump FedEx Ground in with FedEx Express. Yes, Ground is a giant step backwards in service and are struggling to keep their heads above water and hire quality people...just like many companies.

If Fedex doesn't want to be associated with their crappy Ground service, they should change the name to separate themselves. Just using green lettering to distinguish Ground services isn't gonna do it. They are only as good as their weakest link.

Fedex's reputation tanked a long time ago. I can't imagine putting in 40 years there. Congrats on that. You persevered through endless changes. What was your number?

I was #58244. I started back when Zap Mail was still a thing, and you could still jump seat in the cockpits for free flights. I once flew with Scott Grissom, now a retired Fedex captain. His dad was Gus Grissom, one of the Apollo 1 astronauts killed in a test launch (mentioned in the movie Apollo 13.)

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Over 40 years shipping with them. The current issue isnt who they hire, just the worker shortage in general,
    the hard labor, hours, and deadlines, with shipping increases, time focused customers, and "attitudes".
    Not an excuse, just the reality of today.

It's not the worker shortage.. its that they treat their workers like shit and cant retain them or find new ones who will put up with it.

#57 1 year ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

It's not the worker shortage.. its that they treat their workers like shit and cant retain them or find new ones who will put up with it.

Totally agree...UPS has hard labor, hours, deadlines, ect..They are just a better company..far from perfect..
    but if we are comparing these two, UPS hands down, their drivers really put them over the top in my book. I actually said, "Thanks" to the FedEx driver today when I met him 1/2 way up the driveway to get my pkg...crickets. Never saw this driver before. I thought, why did I thank this guy? Wish I didn't

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I'd suggesting buying a scale and use a shipping label service. The rates are *substantially* better than retail at the counter. I've been using goshippo for quite a while now. It has a feature to compare all the major shippers once you enter the package's address, measurements, and weight. More often than not, UPS shows the lowest cost.

Pirate Ship is another good one. Wife and I have used many times. You basically get the "ebay" discount that you would get for selling something and buying the shipping through ebay. Good savings.

1 week later
    #59 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLCpunk2113:

FedEx is the worst and for some reason it’s the only carrier pinball life uses.

This is not true.
    Terry.

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from Drain1:

Retired from FedEx EXPRESS after 40 plus years of service. Do not lump FedEx Ground in with FedEx Express. Yes, Ground is a giant step backwards in service and are struggling to keep their heads above water and hire quality people...just like many companies.

Agreed.
    I use express service on nearly a daily basis with my business and it is by far the best for this service (overnight and two day).
    Not sure people are aware, but ground and express might as well be two different companies.
    They even have different trucks where we will get express deliveries in the morning and a ground truck might show up later in the afternoon.
    We have two normal drivers (one for express and one for ground) and they are night and day.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballlife:

This is not true.
    Terry.

I can vouch for this, placed a bunch of orders recently and they all came UPS. UPS is leading the pack right now in our area anyways. On time, gentle, friendly.

#62 1 year ago

Just had another go around with FedEx this week- Now were are getting ghost packages (NOT) that are being marked as signed for.

Except the package isn't here and the person they claimed signed for them never left their office all day.

It's all so tiresome.

#63 1 year ago

I beat FedEx up on this thread for their errors. I must also give them a big thank you for yesterday.

I had a package sent via express. The shipper sent the package to “300 street name” - not my house. The driver went to the house and asked if the owner knew me. It’s a small town of 700 people, so they did. FedEx driver came to my house “500 street name”, knocked, and delivered the package. Driver said she did it because I was expecting it to be here in two days, there must have been a reason.

She could have done her job, which would mean bringing it back to the terminal, and who knows how long it would have taken to get here. I know Express and Ground are technically different companies, but this makes up for the Ground driver last month that said my house doesn’t exist.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from DRDAVE:

Going forward, I will look into using UPS

Good luck with that as UPS uses the same contractor (Accenture) as FedEx to handle it's "customer service".

Quoted from FrankJ:

I beat FedEx up on this thread for their errors. I must also give them a big thank you for yesterday.

I had a package sent via express.

Hopefully someone can verify this BUT there's a difference between FedEx Ground and Express. My understanding is that the Express workers are Union whereas the Ground workers aren't and, most, are contractors.

#65 1 year ago

I'm sorry... but who in the world would name their company "Lasership"???

The stupidity of that name is a non-starter for me.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm sorry... but who in the world would name their company "Lasership"???
    The stupidity of that name is a non-starter for me.

Lasership delivers a lot of online orders for stores like Old Navy, REI, etc. They are considered a "regional shipper". These retailers were forced to use these half ass regional shippers because UPS/FedEx decided they ship too much volume and are more bother than they are worth...so they essentially fired their customers and told them to ship another way. Lasership has a huge problem with drivers stealing packages in some areas. I cringe every time I see something coming my way from them.

#67 1 year ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Lasership delivers a lot of online orders for stores like Old Navy, REI, etc. They are considered a "regional shipper". These retailers were forced to use these half ass regional shippers because UPS/FedEx decided they ship too much volume and are more bother than they are worth...so they essentially fired their customers and told them to ship another way. Lasership has a huge problem with drivers stealing packages in some areas. I cringe every time I see something coming my way from them.

Not FedEx related directly, Staples ships via Lasership and it has been nothing but a clownshow. I'm ready to toss them out the building.

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Good luck with that as UPS uses the same contractor (Accenture) as FedEx to handle it's "customer service".

Hopefully someone can verify this BUT there's a difference between FedEx Ground and Express. My understanding is that the Express workers are Union whereas the Ground workers aren't and, most, are contractors.

Fedex Express and Ground are very separate companies and have very little to do with each other. Same corporate ownership.
    Express employees are not union, the pilots are though. Ground drivers are employees of a "contractor" who usually owns several routes. Fedex has little control over ground drivers, and deals with the contractor.

#69 1 year ago

FedEx gal just put another package up against garage door, lines up to the right side passenger tire of the car inside. Again, if I hadn't seen her walk up the driveway, I could have backed over it not knowing it was there. Five feet around the corner is the walk in door. Ridicules!! & LAZY!! Also seen her do this to the neighbor across the street, I guess this is how she does it. UPS/USPS/Amazon never have done this. FED-EX SUCKS!!

#70 1 year ago

Nice job Dave getting everyone all worked up!

#71 1 year ago

FedEx delivered a package last Friday and left it at the bottom of the driveway cause the lazy cuss couldn't walk their lazy fat ass up to the porch. Well, if anyone keeps track of weather, we got over a foot of heavy wet snow last Friday into Saturday. Discovered the ruined box and merchandise Saturday when I scooped it up with the snow shovel. IDIOTS.

This shit has to be costing them a fortune, I hope the vendor holds them accountable. I'm whole, just annoyed and inconvenienced. I hope FedEx had to eat the cost of the merchandise and the repeat shipping. I HATE FEDEX

FedEx and OnTrac (I call them OnCrap) are the only 2 garbage delivery companies who leave packages at the bottom of my driveway. Thankfully OnTrac seems to have disappeared, at least from my area anyways.

#72 1 year ago

I'll never forget how like a year or two ago I had ordered a $4000 needle for my turn table. FedEx left it at the bottom of the driveway on top of one of the gargoyle statue pedestals. Just out in the weather all alone down there in a fairly small light box. Thankfully I knew I was expecting it that day and by evening went hunting for it. You'd think it was signature required....Oh it was, they signed for me. Jeeze thanks

I HATE FEDEX

#73 1 year ago

You lost me at...

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from RTS:

You lost me at...

Believe it or not thats only moderately priced too, they get a lot more expensive.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Believe it or not thats only moderately priced too, they get a lot more expensive.

I can find decent one for $20-$30. I thought nice ones were about $80-$100. What's the difference between something like that and a $4k one?

#76 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChefHazmat:

I’m still waiting on a package from February that they lost in the 14 miles it takes to get here.

Why did you not just go pick it up??

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can find decent one for $20-$30. I though nice ones were about $80-$100. What's the difference between something like that and a $4k one?

It probably can pick up frequencies beyond the range of the human ear.

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I can find decent one for $20-$30. I though nice ones were about $80-$100. What's the difference between something like that and a $4k one?

Enjoy: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/phono-cartridges?#/+/0/sitePrice_na_flt/desc/?tab=products

Audiophiles are a weird bunch, me included. And yes I can hear the difference and it’s worth it.

What makes it worse is my dog ruined the first one and i had to purchase a second.

#79 1 year ago

Wow, I knew high quality audio exists but that blew my mind. Meanwhile much of the blame for shipping errors is because of sorting issues. Terrible delivery drivers certainly doesn't help.

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from MaxIsDead:

Enjoy: https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/phono-cartridges?#/+/0/sitePrice_na_flt/desc/?tab=products

Audiophiles are a weird bunch, me included. And yes I can hear the difference and it’s worth it.

Yeah, I've been out of the audio game for a minute pursuing other things. I've always thought once a certain price point is reached, there's simply going to be diminishing returns and then it just becomes about branding/style/popularity.

$16k for a needle...jeez. I thought $4k was excessive.

Quoted from MaxIsDead:

What makes it worse is my dog ruined the first one and i had to purchase a second.

That sucks...sorry to hear it. I probably would not be a happy camper about that.

#81 1 year ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

That sucks...sorry to hear it. I probably would not be a happy camper about that.

Yeah, I just rubbed his belly and said sorry buddy, my bad for leaving that turntable where you could get to it.
    He has no idea what it is. Was lickable. Needle was bent like a lightning bolt

#82 1 year ago

Just retired after 34 years at FedEx EXPRESS. There is a difference.

Like it was said earlier FedEx ground is contractors who are working for somebody else who are not FedEx employees. Most of the time they do not have any benefits whatsoever, no vacation no medical, no pension or 401K. They're employees of the contractor. When FedEx took over RPS they basically slapped FedEx ground on the side of the trucks. Those drivers started suing FedEx to become employees like Express. FedEx was losing in court and came up with the idea of we're not going to renew your contract unless you have five or more routes so if you didn't sell your route or buy four more you weren't going to have anything. This also squashed any Union possibilities for ground.

FedEx loves the contractor model, they have a fixed cost per package and all of the operating burdens are on the ground operator. Employees, trucks, maintenance, benefits. All off of the books of the main FedEx.

Over the last few years the push has been to divert even more packages to the ground side and dilute Express. Covid put a monkey wrench into that for a while but it's going that way again.

They constantly try to micromanage stop and areas. DRA (dynamic route assignment) and now EStar. They don't work but if you throw enough money at it they seem to think it will. Like your driver now? Don't get too comfortable, they want plug and play people.

FedEx is not union. They've thrown enough money to keep it that way.

When I started back in 1988 we were $1 an hour away from UPS for salary, and benefits were somewhat close. When I retired, UPS was making over $10 an hour more than we were, still with great benefits. I was paying close to $500 a month for benefits that are a joke for a billion-dollar company. I have better benefits now that I'm retired than I did when I was working.

Pension you ask? New people don't get one now, just a 401K match.

Another issue they were having along with hiring people is legalized marijuana. To get a driving job you need to be able to pass a drug test. With marijuana being legal, it's way harder to find someone who can pass a drug test. I'm not sure, but I don't think ground drivers have to pass that test. Because they're working for a contractor not FedEx.

The people I worked with delivered was pride especially the old timers. The people coming in now figure out pretty quickly that the pay and benefits aren't where they should be and that this is just a bridge until the next job. Some of the guys at the top of seniority are too far in to go now.

We had a district director come in and say that the people that come in the door now stay 1-5 years, she actually turned around to someone in the meeting who was there 5 years and said what are you still doing here? That person woke up after that and was gone within 6 months.

We always would see ground drivers walking around out of uniform, driving with their driver side door open and no seat belt on. That was always a huge no no for Express. They can't even get them to put the seat belt on and close the driver side door.

Trust me when I say most of the FedEx Express drivers that I know never want to be lumped in with Ground.

It's tough to even choose express service anymore because you can pay for Express and they can still route it to ground.

Now that Fred Smith is pretty much out of the picture, I wouldn't have very high hopes for the future. Keep calling and asking for those refunds!

#83 1 year ago

3 weeks later
    #84 1 year ago

Usually get our deliveries through the front of the arcade, not in the back alley two days before we scheduled — without notice. If I hadn’t come in to do a bit of maintenance this CCr would have been sitting here for about 30 hours.

Thanks, FedEx.

52AD1D44-CD10-43E3-B3F0-36E1C39BE073 (resized).jpeg52AD1D44-CD10-43E3-B3F0-36E1C39BE073 (resized).jpegEE137907-5A7C-49F0-BF6D-FE7488BCAD6A (resized).jpegEE137907-5A7C-49F0-BF6D-FE7488BCAD6A (resized).jpeg

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from madamyates:

Usually get our deliveries through the front of the arcade, not in the back alley two days before we scheduled — without notice. If I hadn’t come in to do a bit of maintenance this CCr would have been sitting here for about 30 hours.
    Thanks, FedEx.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

WOW

#86 1 year ago

Last Wednesday Fed-Ex delivered a prewar pinball machine to me. Very small table top game from 1932. They broke the front out of the machine. It was heavily bubble wrapped. They had to have slammed it down on the coin mech which broke out the front panel on the machine. The damn thing made it 90 years and was in very nice condition when it shipped. I'm sick about it. I can repair it but it's only original once. I can't just go buy another one and now the value will be greatly diminished.

I started selling on eBay in 1999 and never had a problem with them. I haven't been selling on eBay for the last 6 years or so. Guess they went to crap in the mean time.

1 month later
    #87 1 year ago

Got a nib machine being shipped to me across the country. The tracking gives an estimated delivery date, but there is a good chance that the family and I will be away for a week. The info on the tracking website says no signature required. So, do they drop the thing in my driveway and it sits there for a week?

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Got a nib machine being shipped to me across the country. The tracking gives an estimated delivery date, but there is a good chance that the family and I will be away for a week. The info on the tracking website says no signature required. So, do they drop the thing in my driveway and it sits there for a week?

Yes, they will likely just leave it there. Happened to us with CCr. They left it in the alley behind our business.

6 months later
    #89 1 year ago

Another Fedex question: My machine is being shipped cross country. Last tracking update said it was in Colorado and delayed due to weather. That was last Thursday. No tracking updates since. I know that Fed Ex facilities are closed on the weekend for pickup, but do the semi trucks not drive on the weekens as well? Originally, the FedEx said that it would be four days for delivery, it has been 10 days now. Strange. I guess the snow blizzard shut down the highways in the Denver area for several days? Anybody in that neck of the woods, can you confirm? Thx

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from gandamack:

Another Fedex question: My machine is being shipped cross country. Last tracking update said it was in Colorado and delayed due to weather. That was last Thursday. No tracking updates since. I know that Fed Ex facilities are closed on the weekend for pickup, but do the semi trucks not drive on the weekens as well? Originally, the FedEx said that it would be four days for delivery, it has been 10 days now. Strange. I guess the snow blizzard shut down the highways in the Denver area for several days? Anybody in that neck of the woods, can you confirm? Thx

We got a couple inches or so of snow last Wednesday, but I am not aware of roads in the Denver metro area being shut down. I could see your delivery being delayed a day or so, but the highways/interstates were open as far as I know. The only issue would be I-70 heading west out of Denver through the mountains and mountain passes. They always seem to get pounded with snow during a snowstorm.

Was your machine at the Henderson, CO, terminal then? That is where my NIB Stern deliveries end up before they bring them to my house on a big box truck.

Gord

#91 1 year ago

Yes in the suburb of Henderson. I would imagine the semi trucks go north to Wyoming and west on 1-90 to get to the west coast. It looks easier to do that than head west directly into the mountain passes.

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fedex-isn-t-what-it-used-to-be/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.