2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by RTS
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

but_isnt_that....gif

#1 2 years ago

Just found out the hard way that when you declare a value sending a FedEx package that does not mean you are insuring it. That value that you pay for only covers if they break it or lose it outright.
    First time I've ever heard that in thirty years of using FedEx.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

That value that you pay for only covers if they break it or lose it outright.

Isn't that the same thing as insurance? What am I missing

#3 2 years ago

So what's the story behind this?

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Just found out the hard way that when you declare a value sending a FedEx package that does not mean you are insuring it. That value that you pay for only covers if they break it or lose it outright.
    First time I've ever heard that in thirty years of using FedEx.

What else would they be responsible for (ie: damage or loss)?

Jaz

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

That value that you pay for only covers if they break it or lose it outright.

but_isnt_that....gif

#6 2 years ago

I also heard that 40% of Fedex's damage claims come from packages delivered on Mondays or Fridays. Sounds like somebody likes the weekend a little too much!

#7 2 years ago

well I know for international air fright the declared value for carriage is for the limited liability the airlines have (20.00 per kg) if your value exceeds that you must pay a valuation fee so they will be liable for loss up to that amount. Now that still would not cover like insurance would.

#8 2 years ago

Ive shipped millions of dollars over 35 years, with a handful of losses from lost, missing, or damaged goods.
    Every loss was handled promptly with no hassels.
    But ive never had a claim against a damaged pin, only a slot machine, and that was covered in full
    Op, did you have an issue with a claim?

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from stevevt:

I also heard that 40% of Fedex's damage claims come from packages delivered on Mondays or Fridays. Sounds like somebody likes the weekend a little too much!

I heard that 40% of the weekdays are Mondays and Fridays.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from twenty84:

I heard that 40% of the weekdays are Mondays and Fridays.

This is so funny...thanks for the laugh!

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Isn't that the same thing as insurance? What am I missing

Quoted from ForceFlow:

So what's the story behind this?

Sent some boards to be repaired. I declared the value at $500 (way less than they were worth repaired, but about what I had into them). Package was delivered, recipient was at a show for a few days & they weren't there when he got back (stolen). I filed a claim & was told that declared value is not insurance, it's only used if Fedex damages or loses the package (even though they charge you for any declaration over $100). Stolen is a civil matter between myself & whoever the thief is (if ever found).
    Lost a newer Stern CPU, a Williams sound board & driver board.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Ive shipped millions of dollars over 35 years, with a handful of losses from lost, missing, or damaged goods.
    Every loss was handled promptly with no hassels.
    But ive never had a claim against a damaged pin, only a slot machine, and that was covered in full
    Op, did you have an issue with a claim?

Not a pin, but almost would have been better because I carry insurance for shipping pins. Screwed on this one...

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Package was delivered, recipient was at a show for a few days & they weren't there when he got back (stolen).

Yeah, if you didn't pay for signature on delivery, and basically ok'd them to leave the package on the steps, you're SOL and insurance will not cover that.

If it didn't work that way, you would get bottom feeding dickheads that ship stuff to friends, insure it for top dollar, then say it was stolen to collect 'free' money without actually losing their goods.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from Nibbles:

Yeah, if you didn't pay for signature on delivery, and basically ok'd them to leave the package on the steps, you're SOL and insurance will not cover that.
    If it didn't work that way, you would get bottom feeding dickheads that ship stuff to friends, insure it for top dollar, then say it was stolen to collect 'free' money without actually losing their goods.

I agree, but by paying for a higher declared value, they should make me choose one of the signature options and not allow it to be a releaseable package. I think if you make it $1000 (not sure exact #) it automatically makes it a signature required package. What if the driver left it in a shitty area? Plain sight of the street?
    I thought declared value was insurance (have to pay for it). Expensive lesson learned..

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballlew:

This is so funny...thanks for the laugh!

i think 40% of the sick days taken are also Mondays and Fridays...

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I agree, but by paying for a higher declared value, they should make me choose one of the signature options and not allow it to be a releaseable package. I think if you make it $1000 (not sure exact #) it automatically makes it a signature required package. What if the driver left it in a shitty area? Plain sight of the street?
    I thought declared value was insurance (have to pay for it). Expensive lesson learned..

Sorry for your loss, but why would you think that it "automatically makes it a signature required package"?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from DennisDodel:

Sorry for your loss, but why would you think that it "automatically makes it a signature required package"?

Because it does. Anything over a certain value automatically turns the package into signature required. You can change it to no signature required and it will cost less.

#17 2 years ago

Something about this isn't sounding right. I've been selling on eBay since 2001, have used UPS for 99% of my transactions, and have shipped thousands of sets of golf clubs valued about more than 1k. Over the past 16 years I've had sets lost in transit, broken, stolen, etc., and not once have I been stuck. There have been times I've had to dig in my heels, ask to talk to a supervisor, or had to go through my account manager at the local terminal here, but in the end, as long as I've had all of my paperwork in order, there's never been a time where I wasn't covered. The 'declared value' has always been the insured value.

#18 2 years ago

You might have a chance if you file a claim against them and argue the driver was negligent where he left the package, exposing it to theft.

It was at a public show, not a business or a residence. You need to say there was a specific shipping/receiving area that never received it. Then the driver will have to explain himself. They will look into it.

The driver must use discretion where he leaves a package, and not do so if there is not a safe location.

I used to work at FedEx, and I know they suck now.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dooskie:

Something about this isn't sounding right. I've been selling on eBay since 2001, have used UPS for 99% of my transactions, and have shipped thousands of sets of golf clubs valued about more than 1k. Over the past 16 years I've had sets lost in transit, broken, stolen, etc., and not once have I been stuck. There have been times I've had to dig in my heels, ask to talk to a supervisor, or had to go through my account manager at the local terminal here, but in the end, as long as I've had all of my paperwork in order, there's never been a time where I wasn't covered. The 'declared value' has always been the insured value.

Maybe UPS is different? I could tell by the conversation I had on a phone the representative had had that same conversation a million times. If I get a chance I'm going to look on their website at the fine print but I'm sure it's in there.

#20 2 years ago

UPS is the same way.

They will leave a $2000 guitar, with the logo on the box facing the street and drive away.

If the box gets stolen, it's not UPS fault, it's now up to me to turn it in on my homeowner's insurance.

UPS's job is to get the package to my doorstep; not to stand guard over it for hours/days until I get home.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from jrio101:

Because it does. Anything over a certain value automatically turns the package into signature required. You can change it to no signature required and it will cost less.

So the recipient should have had to sign for it?

#22 2 years ago

Signature required costs more because a 30 second stop becomes a 5 minute set of stops.

The driver comes the first day, no one is home, fills out a door tag = 1.5 minutes.

The driver returns the 2nd day, fills out door tag = 1.5 minutes.

The driver returns the 3rd day, fill out "FINAL NOTICE" tag = 1.5 minutes.

The driver returns the 4th day, finds the signed Final Notice tag (releasing the driver to leave the package on the porch), and leaves the package = 30 seconds.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Signature required costs more because a 30 second stop becomes a 5 minute set of stops.
    The driver comes the first day, no one is home, fills out a door tag = 1.5 minutes.
    The driver returns the 2nd day, fills out door tag = 1.5 minutes.
    The driver returns the 3rd day, fill out "FINAL NOTICE" tag = 1.5 minutes.
    The driver returns the 4th day, finds the signed Final Notice tag (releasing the driver to leave the package on the porch), and leaves the package = 30 seconds.

I see. I forgot the part about the recipient being gone for a few days. I thought that they would take the package back to the terminal and wait for the recipient to come get it. I always pay extra for a 'Signature Required'. Never had a problem, but I guess I will have to look closer at this.

#24 2 years ago

Sorry this happened, really sucks.

Although this doesn't help the OP- If you regularly receive FedEx or UPS packages remember it's quick and easy to file a vacation hold online for either service.

#25 2 years ago

Or if you have some punks that live on your street, you can sign up to pick up all your packages at the UPS depot.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

UPS is the same way.
    They will leave a $2000 guitar, with the logo on the box facing the street and drive away.
    If the box gets stolen, it's not UPS fault, it's now up to me to turn it in on my homeowner's insurance.
    UPS's job is to get the package to my doorstep; not to stand guard over it for hours/days until I get home.

I always looked at the declared value as insurance. I paid extra to bump it up to $500 over the automatic $100. What am I paying for then?
    If they won't cover the $500 they should make me pay for the required signature (which I would have had no problem doing).

#27 2 years ago

Your paying for if it gets damaged or lost. If you want to be completely safe when shipping items require a signature.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I always looked at the declared value as insurance. I paid extra to bump it up to $500 over the automatic $100. What am I paying for then?

You are paying if UPS, FEDX or USPS looses or damages your package while it is in their possession.

After the package is delivered, they are out of the picture (they have fulfilled their end of the bargain).

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

Screwed on this one...

When is a package considered "delivered" and possession has legally been transferred to the recipient?

It seems like, technically, the boards were stolen from your board guy, not from you, and he's the one screwed out of three boards. But I suppose it's not something you want to fight with him over if you ever want to use him again.

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from Blackjacker:

When is a package considered "delivered" and possession has legally been transferred to the recipient?

As soon as they leave it at your delivery address.

#31 2 years ago

Unless you've made other arrangements, how can you expect them to be responsible once they've dropped it on your front porch?

#32 2 years ago

LOL!

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from RTS:

I used to work at FedEx, and I know they suck now.

I currently work at FedEx. We think you suck now.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

+1

Me too!

#35 2 years ago

I have personally had to deal with Fedx for loss and it was a pain in the ass as they claimed it was delivered and it was, to the wrong address. I had ordered a pascal sound board and it had been a while, so I checked tracking and it was listed as delivered the previous day, (impossible as I had been on vacation for the week). I must have had thirty or more phone conversations which all ended in, "we show delivery to the address listed". Couple more days of talking and getting nowhere, my doorbell rings and it is a guy who ask me my name and then says this is yours and hands me the package containing my board...... Seems he lives at 48** Section Rd. and my address is 48** Section Ave., same numbers only difference street designation Rd.-Ave.. Contacted Fedx and suggested they inform their drivers to actually look at the address before delivering. Now I won't use them any other way than requiring a signature.

#36 2 years ago

I hate to say it, but if you look at
    http://www.fedex.com/us/service-guide/after-you-ship/terms/express-ground-samedaycity.html
    and go to "liabilities not assumed"
    Section AG: Shipments released without obtaining a signature at nonresidential addresses when release has been authorized by the shipper or recipient. (See the Delivery Signature Options section.)

I know it sucks man. Personally I hate when people ship me things with signature required, but I understand it, and whenever I ship anything over $100 I require a signature.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from NJGecko:

I ship anything over $100 I require a signature.

Exactly what I'll be doing in the future. Just wanted to put it out there in case others thought like I did, that it was insurance.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Now I won't use them any other way than requiring a signature.

Good plan but I hope you're doing the same for every other shipping company unless you're 100% positive anybody would never, ever do that again. I'm sure there's plenty of stories across the landscape of shipping companies because people are human and we make mistakes.

#39 2 years ago

So as not to have to go through this headache I have most things I purchase shipped to my work address so there is always someone there to receive it. This gets the better shipping price not being a residence. About the only way something gets shipped to our house is if it will easily fit in our locked mailbox. And I live in a decent neighborhood.

You may not have had the same opportunity for someone to receive and hold it for your repair guy so, yes, signature required would have been the solution.

#40 2 years ago

Remember also, if you are sending boards out to someone who you spoke with many weeks ago, a quick heads up call will let you know if they are going to be on vacation, have been barred from re-entering the USA, or have been kicked out by the wife.

Things can change quickly in the world.

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

I was working there when they introduced the original hand-held tracker in the 80's.

There used to be a real distinction between FedEx and the competition.

It's no longer true.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 79.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 30.00
    Pinball Machine
    Habos Arcade
    $ 10,900.00
    Pinball Machine
    RMV Sales
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Art Prints
    $ 19.95
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 29.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Protection
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 17.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    BK Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Singer Pinball Designs
    $ 109.99
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 11.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside