(Topic ID: 153040)

Feature Request: 14-no-post probation period for new users

By lowepg

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 8 years ago

But it can be instantly removed by a paypal donation (since it would verify the user's identification).

#2 8 years ago

It would discourage a lot of new users from staying, but people who care enough to create alternate accounts will wait anyway.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from jar155:

It would discourage a lot of new users from staying, but people who care enough to create alternate accounts will wait anyway.

Maybe.

Or maybe it would force new users to lurk a bit before posting.

Perhaps even 7-days.

I think d-bags who need to create alternate accounts would crave the instant gratification of posting right away....

Just an idea...

#4 8 years ago

Never been a fan of features like this on forums (or websites in general). Usually the way it works is I find a site, sign up for it, am not able to use my account for a set period of time, and then by the time my account is usable I've already forgotten about said forum.

#5 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

Never been a fan of features like this on forums (or websites in general). Usually the way it works is I find a site, sign up for it, am not able to use my account for a set period of time, and then by the time my account is usable I've already forgotten about said forum.

Hmmm. You're right. As soon as I read your comment I recalled a site I abandoned for that very reason (they had a point system or something you needed to build up).

So, put another way:

IS THERE a way to discourage flooding a site with fake accounts (besides an appeal to maturity)?

#6 8 years ago

I would like to see this implemented for 'for sale' ads but don't think its necessary in the general forum.

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from WaddleJrJr:

I tend to agree: changing the forum rules for a single individual is perhaps a bit extreme and will impose a strong limitation on all newcomers. We'll see.

#8 8 years ago

I get where lowepg is coming from and it's a good thought, but in the end I gotta agree with waddlejrjr. I think the collateral damage that policy would do would outweigh the benefit. It's really just a very small number of immature attention-starved babies who want to abuse this place, and I think the moderator team can handle it. Keeping those threads from being topped by not responding to them would go a long way too. If they stop getting the attention they crave, they'll find some other community to inflict their brain damage on.

#9 8 years ago

Trolls get bored eventually if they don't get the results they're looking for. If their posts are never seen (ie, deleted), they never get any attention.

#10 8 years ago

I am all for banning newbies all together

#11 8 years ago

Everyone is new at some point. Best to give new people a friendly welcome.

Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. The trolls usually are easy to spot and out themselves in time.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from PorkChopExpress:

Everyone is new at some point. Best to give new people a friendly welcome.
    Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. The trolls usually are easy to spot and out themselves in time.

Agreed, just would be cool to have some sort of ID verification to stop multiple accounts, if one gets banned, stay gone.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/feature-request-14-no-post-probation-period-for-new-users and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.