(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 8 years ago

This pilot episode was pretty bland and boring overall. I am very concerned about the characters in this one, as I didn't find any of them to be interesting in any way. I will give it time to develop and see where it goes, but man, compare this pilot episode to the pilot of TWD (which is one of the best pilot episodes of any series I've ever seen) and it was an epic failure.

When the episode was over, I sure didn't think "oh man, I can't wait to see the next episode!"

#34 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So you won't be watching next week then?

Yes, I will. Like I said, I'm going to give it a chance to develop and see where it goes. But I'm sure not feeling any great anticipation for next weeks episode.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's tragic.
Hopefully in time, these characters will be able to rope you in like all of those Walking Dead characters who were instantly beloved by all.

Me too.

Many of the characters on TWD's pilot episode were instantly interesting compared to what we saw on Fear TWD.

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Funny...I didn't see it that way. My first thought was "ah, a 28-days later ripoff," followed by an hour of Rick holed up in a suburban exposition house. The episode was slow, didn't reveal much, and clearly was designed to set the show up for a payoff somewhere down the line.
Kinda like the Fear debut, with less going on of course and a much narrower snapshot of the world.

There is no comparison in my opinion. The pilot of TWD was superb. The build up of tension in that episode was fantastic. The way the story was being told was excellent. The cinematography was top notch. I wanted to learn more about the characters. It was directed by Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and it showed.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

It's pretty hard to build up tension with long commercial breaks every 5 minutes.

Huh?

They had a run early on that must have stretched 20 minutes straight without a commercial.

#60 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Just watched the second episode. I enjoyed it a lot more. Like the sudden change in pace.....and the characters.... I thought were more likable.

Yes!

This episode was *much* better than the premier! It had everything that was lacking from the first episode. Real tension that was built gradually but at a steady pace. Some of the stuff that was happening was subtle. And watching the characters continue to learn what is really happening and how it is effecting them was well done. The way the daughter asked her mom to tell her what was happening, and how she completely ignored her as she couldn't get over the fact that she had just killed her co-worker with a fire extinguisher for example.

The way that the public was reacting to seeing cops repeatedly shoot "unarmed people", resulting in the start of riots and general chaos. The way the police and other agencies were not communicating anything about what was happening to the public. The brief shot of the police filling the trunk of their patrol car with jugs of water.

The kid that got his knife back. How does he know so much? Interesting character who I want to know more about.

So glad to see such a dramatic improvement!

#61 8 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Is it just me, or is this series a little more...um...*ethnic* than the other one? It seems with TWD, they tried to get all walks of life in the cast. In this series, not so much.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. Plenty of examples of minorities. Was the Barber Shop owner, including english subtitles when he was speaking spanish, not enough for you?

2 weeks later
#109 8 years ago

This line will probably be hilarious in hindsight: "You know how I feel about guns!"

#118 8 years ago

Worst episode yet. Holy cow almost nothing happened until the last five minutes. 2 episodes left in the season. This series just isn't looking promising so far.

#126 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

One thing these two shows accurately point out is that people from rural Georgia who hunt, camp and shoot guns are better prepared for zombie apocalypse than the average city dweller who have only experienced first world problems their whole life.

Apparently they also make way more interesting characters.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Yeah, there's no comparison in the character department. I don't think they could make these characters less interesting if they tried, and I don't see any way to strengthen them later. I already want most of them to get bitten, particularly the dope head and his Sister.
Another thing I don't like is how they automatically project the military as the typical bunch of bad guys, just like in 28 Days Later, killing random civilians, bored with their jobs, and generally uncaring about humanity. Maybe this might happen to some of them after a couple of years of trauma and chaos, but not to an entire unit of citizen-soldiers after only 9 days. I give this show a D- right now, and find myself rooting for the zombies. It actually makes Syfy's very low budget Z-Nation look good.

I gave up on Z-Nation...yet I agree with you. Since there are only 2 episodes of FTWD left, I will watch them so I can say that I gave the entire first season a fair shake (there have been a couple of decent episodes), but it's unlikely at this point that I will bother watching season 2.

#130 8 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

If there even is a season two. Seems like there are a lot more people that don't like the show, than people who do.

As long as the viewership is high enough that they can sell advertising spots and make money, there will be a season 2. I think the ratings will stay high enough just based on the fact that this is a spinoff of the most popular show on TV right now. But if things don't change soon, the ratings will go down fast.

Not a single zombie in last nights episode...even when she went outside the fence.

#133 8 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

I guess that you are right. Nobody in my family likes the show and we are still watching it and probably will continue to watch just to see what happens.

...and that's exactly what me and my family are going to do as well, and I'm sure there are tons of others that will do the same.

#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I sure as hell wont watch the show live though and sit through commercials

I don't do that now.

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Considering TWD fans whine relentlessly at the hint of a favorite character dying off, maybe they're intentionally trying to keep these characters less likable?

I don't think TWD fans "whine relentlessly" at the hint of a favorite character dying off. In fact, since they know that one of the main/favorite characters can die at any time is one of the things that gives TWD so much drama, as you don't know what's going to happen.

It makes zero sense to make characters less likable just because they are going to kill them off. If you don't like the character, who the hell cares if they die? Make the character interesting or likable, and their death becomes much more impactful.

The biggest indicator that FTWD sucks is the fact that I couldn't possibly care less if any single character from the show dies. Well, maybe I would be just slightly bummed to see the barber die, as I actually think he's the most interesting character so far, but that's not saying much.

Quoted from guyincognito:

I ended up watching it and changed my mind about it. It's not terrible. Sure there isn't much human VS zombie action, but that's OK with me. In my opinion there's only so many minutes you can devote to severing zombie heads. If anything the zombies are somewhat secondary to the apocalypse drama that the humans have to face as society crumbles around them. If you listen to interviews by George Romero, he pretty much says the real horror story is about how humans interact with each other when societal norms break down, and not so much about an endless video game approach to slaughtering undead corpses.

Of course the drama of seeing society crumble around them should be a huge part of the story. The problem is that they are doing a terrible job in demonstrating it! Very cliched representation of the military, for example, and like others have mentioned, the unrealistic lack of any real news or media coverage of what is happening. Also, the 9 week gap from last weeks episode to this weeks resulted in missing a huge amount of seeing the society crumble. It goes from a picture of the military coming in at the end of last weeks episode, to being fully contained within a fence in the next. I just feel like we went from the kid at the protest, seeing police officers shooting zombies, to being in a fenced off neighborhood was rather jarring.

And while we don't need to see a video game approach to mowing down a ton of zombies every week, the complete lack of even a single zombie was kind of stupid in my opinion.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I totally agree. It probably cost too much money to produce. I want to see the evacuation of cities, the abandonment of power plants, or the government response to the illness. Instead, they give us terrible charterers stuck in a cul-de-sac. The thing is, I think they could of stretched the society crumble into many episodes... and I would watch them all.

Nailed it!

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree with a lot of what you said except this comment. Let's dissect what we know:
-The kids know that shit is going down and no one will listen to them so they stop giving a flying F*ck. In this scene; it shows that they know shit is bad, they even said something to the matter of 'its not like theyre ever coming back anyway' then begin to trash it. I think it was a very important scene.

I agree with what you are saying in terms of what this scene showed, but I think it was poorly done. To see the daughter completely dressed up, including makeup and her hair done to perfection, trying dresses of a stranger on etc. just didn't make sense to me and seemed weird. The sexual tension between her and her step brother was also strange and out of place. I didn't like the scene at all.

-Now lets look at Dad: Completely ignorant and in denial that anything bad is really happening. There was a moment he thought things were getting bad in the first couple episodes, but the military blinded him and the community of what was going on that he conformed and just figured it'll pass. Thats why he had no reason to go gung ho violent like a lot of us wanted. Then, in this episode he has a gun pointed at a zombie and is told that its no longer human so kill it. And he almost does it...but then see's her name badge and makes it personal. Still, he cannot get a grip of reality, and doesnt believe there's any reason to kill this person 'or thing'. Then, he see's the troops raid a building of zombies and we get his perspective...he's freaked out hearing gun shots, and screams, and the cb radio. He begins to get out of the vehicle in dissaray, then a few soldiers come back and say the LT is dead, WE"RE OUTTA HERE! It was a big eye opening moment for the dad and he's starting to realize it.

I don't think he's beginning to realize much of anything. Which makes it stupid. See below.

Now Mom (girlfriend); she's a lot more hardcore. And the dad from a few episodes ago would have had no part in the torturing. But when he came back after seeing what he saw, he was 'sorta' ok with them torturing the dude for info.
All in all; we are very critical of the acting and writing but i think that portion is fine 'for the most part'. Its the direction that the director took it coupled with the budget that makes it a little more lackluster. This past episode made me a little excited to finally say, "i cant wait to see what happens next". Where all the other episodes i was thinking "i cant wait til its over".

I agree that the mother is much, much tougher than her husband. *She* is the one who, when the barber was breaking down crying, hoping that his daughter would understand and/or forgive him for torturing the army officer, simply asked him "did you get the information that we need?" Stone cold!

By complete contrast, I have to disagree with your statement that her husband was "sort of ok" with them torturing him for info. Not at all. His statement to his wife was something like "please tell me that you had no part in this" or "please tell me that you didn't know about this." I got the impression that he was completely against it, and hasn't come to realize or accept much of anything, despite being smacked in the face with it. My guess is that he is going to be one of the first ones to get killed off. I hope.

The new character (the black guy who "bought" the druggie) is the most interesting character we've seen yet.

Overall, this episode was better than last weeks...but that's not saying much. Overall, the acting really is quite poor in my opinion. All four of the main characters are below average actors. I still wouldn't feel much empathy for any of them, and still couldn't care less if any one of them dies.

1 week later
#211 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Definitely the best episode yet. Still don't like the characters. The druggie has his little epiphany about how everyone else is just catching up to him? Give me a break. Then the pacifist suddenly beats someone to a pulp and shoots his x wife in the head? Right. Then they let out the zombies to kill everyone in the military compound? Even Rick in the real TWD hasn't graduated to that level.
I'm guessing the writing is so bad in this version because they don't have comic books to roughly follow?

I agree with all of this. Best episode of the series so far, yet that isn't saying much and there was still plenty to criticize.

The reason it was the best episode is because at least there were finally situations that the characters were in that created some tension and drama throughout the episode. We really didn't see much of that previously.

But man, lots of stupid stuff still, like the ridiculous example of the pacifist dad that you mentioned nearly killing the soldier with his bare hands. And the portrayal of the military continues to be pretty ridiculous and stereotypical of many shows. They are in the middle of a huge horde of zombies, running for their lives, but one of the soldiers has time to get sexual with the daughter and asks her if she's sure she doesn't want to go with him?

I'm surprised that there wasn't some type of cliff hanger ending that would try to hook people into wanting to watch next seasons first episode. All we are left with is them possibly getting ready to get on the boat with Strand.

7 months later
#831 7 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Too bad they did not focus FTWD on the collapse of civilization / early stages of the infection. Now we basically have a TWD remake with a lower budget and characters most of us hate.

Couldn't agree more.

There was actually tons of potential with FTWD to go many different routes and to make the series very distinct from TWD. They could have easily spent at least a couple of seasons concentrating just on the early stages of the infection and given us more details of the collapse of civilization. Instead, it felt like we got a couple of episodes about it then BAM virtually everything has gone to shit, and we are in the same world, at the same time, as TWD, just in a different part of the world.

The Barn rehash is a great example of how weak the writers for FTWD are. Lazy. Uncreative.

#833 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm still trying to reconcile with the fact that you all think FTWD is poorly written when it exhibits ALL of the same characteristics of the original Walking Dead Show

Because it doesn't.

#837 7 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

We don't watch these shows because the writing is good, we watch it because we like watching zombie soap operas.

Sure, but not all zombie soap operas are created equally, as is clearly the case here.

2 months later
#855 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

What an idiot giving up his food and water because some woman has a baseball bat? In the land where you fight zombie hordes and robbers galore you run from a bat? Dumb.
I was rooting for the dogs.

Exactly. The whole episode was full of dumb shit like that.

Another example:

Quoted from Stones:

when Nick was in the zombie group....and they just magically over run the guys with guns.

Really boring, bad episode.

#861 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Besides smearing an ounce of blood on themselves to go unnoticed by zombies, this was actually a good episode.

How lame are the people who film the show to not realize this? Blatantly obvious, all 3 of us watching tonight said the same thing.

I was thinking to myself one real problem with the first two episodes was a complete lack of suspense/drama...then it started raining zombies. lol

Better than last weeks episode for sure.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Still, why did they do this show? It's TWD 2 or TWD West...what is the "different" take we are getting? I'll watch because there's nothing else on..but...

Agreed, it's definitely been a missed opportunity for sure.

I am curious how they will deal with the character who apparently got bit and didn't turn though. He could be key to a cure.

1 month later
#928 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

The speculation is interesting to who Negan killed.

I still think it was a big mistake the way that the ended last season with the cliffhanger as to who Negan killed. If you really wanted to know the answer, you can find it. That's one of the pitfalls to doing it the way that they did.

They should have just shown who Negan killed. Leave us with that. It would have had more impact then than it will now.

1 week later
#941 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

was just watching last season's finale of The Talking Dead and Producer Scott Gimple was saying he understood the criticism of the season 6 finale but they have the pressure to make a season 7 premiere that makes it worth it. I think they succeeded.
I wasn't sure how they were going to do it because I didn't really care who they were going to kill. I had already heard Glenn was the one in the comics and Abraham should already be dead but the emotion and tension was so high throughout. There was some speculation that Rick would get his hand cut off (I think it happens sometime in the comic?) and so I was really tense that he would cut his own hand off but then they pulled an Isaac and the Ram twist and Negan stopped Rick. It was really great.

Well said.

I knew who the two characters were that were going to die too, and also thought that Rick was going to lose a hand.

And while I still say that the death of Glenn and Abraham would have had a bigger impact if they did it during the season finale last year (since we would not have seen it coming) it is amazing how good of a job they did in this episode, even knowing what was coming..

I actually felt sick by the end.

This season has the potential to be the most depressing yet in light of how they've laid the table. How long will they be providing for Negan before getting their revenge?

#957 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Also they never should have done that stupid "dumpster save". I think for some it lessened the emotional impact of his second death.

Bingo!

Glenn was living on borrowed time to say the least. That dumpster save scene still pisses me off to this day.

#958 7 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Also was surprised Negan didn't let him chop his kids arm off, that would have really showed what a dick he is.

Yeah, cuz killing Abraham and Glenn by bashing their skulls into oblivion didn't quite do it.

He saved Carl's arm for psychological reasons, as part of getting them to work for Negan (or as Negan put it, to get Rick to stop giving him "that look")

2 weeks later
#985 7 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

All I know is, I was going crazy listening to that damn song. Poor Daryl.

Overall I did not think that this was a good episode. I thought the "torture" of Darryl was just ridiculously weak and did not come close to measuring up to what we saw from Negan in episode one. Music? Really? And even Negan's direct discussion with Darryl, while waving Lucille in his face, was weak and completely lacking in drama. I guess part of the reason is that when you have already killed two major characters just 2 short episodes ago, you knew there was zero chance that Negan was going to bash Darryl's head in.

And the stuff with Dwight and Negan taking his wife etc. just seemed too contrived, and I'm also having a hard time buying into the fact that apparently pretty much everyone actually hates Negan (including his right hand man) but they are all too stupid to realize that if they all opposed him he would have no power.

I liked week 2's episode far more than this one.

#991 7 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Everything they did was common practice for today's "enhanced interrogation" techniques as documented in many articles that came out of places like abu ghraib, so it was pretty realistic to me.

Yes, but never once did I even come close to feeling sorry for Daryl. I never felt that he was going through hell or being tortured. These techniques just didn't measure up to Negan's way of doing things. Weak.

If anything Daryl deserves more punishment for killing Glenn.

#992 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I think he wanted more "mental" torture than physical since he was grooming him to be sidekick..though he did iron Dwight's face but that was a payback for escaping.

Yeah, you just helped make my point. Iron to the face is much more Negan's style than playing music. The iron to the face appears to have worked, at least for now, as Dwight and Negan "are cool" even though Negan is screwing Dwight's wife.

#1001 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Negan isn't inherently evil.

#1018 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I'm growing tired of the show and wished it centered around Negan since I'm only enjoying when he is on.

Wow. Complete opposite for me!

I was thinking very early on into the episode that Negan is getting old REAL fast. He talks the exact same way, with the same cadence, all the time. You can pretty much guess what he's going to say before he says it. He's already a caricature of himself. Not good. I don't even fear him anymore. He's actually turning into one of the weaker main "bad guys" they've had to deal with in terms of believability. The Governor was 20 times more interesting than Negan so far.

And this episode just got off to a really bad start for me when you see Negan arrive at the gate, with his silhouette showing on the fence holding Lucille. Rosita (and the other guy) were there in the car....WITH GUNS. Why not shoot Negan dead right then and there? Yeah, they still have Darrell, but so what? With Negan dead, I don't know that his followers would necessarily kill Darrell as it would just lead to more of them dying as well.

I am usually capable of suspending a lot of disbelief for this show but for some reason I couldn't get past that one.

#1019 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Im getting tired of it too ... but because of Negan. His character seems contrived and overdone (yes, I know it's a show about zombies...) His dialogue is reaaally tiresome.
His "concept" is flawed. How could you create an empire with a baseball bat when everyone else has guns? Baseball bat has a 4 foot range. A guns range is slightly more than 4 foot. Someone would have shot him in the face by now. And he must get really hot wearing the Fonz' leather jacket out in the sun like that.
When Negans bunch showed up at Ricks place last night, they were all standing in a tight bunch in a bottleneck. They should have all been shot in <60 seconds. Problem solved.
But then they'd need to come up with another villain to fill up the series.
rd

I agree with all of this...but more importantly, glad to see that you survived the earthquakes RD!

#1027 7 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

To each their own. I don't analyze or knit pick every aspect of the show and just enjoy it for the entertainment. There are so many far fetched things on the show I don't watch thinking to myself could this really happen.

Same here, and like I said, I am normally very willing to suspend my disbelief for this show. You have to. But when it gets to the point where it is so obvious, and not even consistent with what we've been taught about the characters, it's hard not to be disappointed. That's what happened in this episode.

As stated by others:

Quoted from zr11990:

How long are we going to have to watch Rick and his people cower down to Negan? They could have killed him multiple times last night but they all just stood there with their dicks in their hands. Shit, they could have killed him at the gate. Coral could have put a bullet in him. Rick could have beaten him with his own bat. Its getting hard to watch for me.

Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It bothered me that they werent up on the tower with the Bazooka...I believe they had a few rounds.
Between that. and firepower at the gate, no brainer.

Quoted from rotordave:

Im getting tired of it too ... but because of Negan. His character seems contrived and overdone (yes, I know it's a show about zombies...) His dialogue is reaaally tiresome.
His "concept" is flawed. How could you create an empire with a baseball bat when everyone else has guns? Baseball bat has a 4 foot range. A guns range is slightly more than 4 foot. Someone would have shot him in the face by now. And he must get really hot wearing the Fonz' leather jacket out in the sun like that.
When Negans bunch showed up at Ricks place last night, they were all standing in a tight bunch in a bottleneck. They should have all been shot in <60 seconds. Problem solved.

#1035 7 years ago
Quoted from 30FathomDave:

And The Governor is more evil than Negan?

Speaking for myself, it isn't a matter of whether The Governor "is more evil than Negan", it's a matter of him (The Governor) being a much better written and developed (and believable) character. His followers had reason/logic to follow him, even if misguided. I don't see that same reason/logic for Negan's followers.

Quoted from RobT:

The Governor was 20 times more interesting than Negan so far.

#1039 7 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

We havent cared about zombies in TWD I think since the quarry Horde.
I do enjoy all the quality acting and character development, but maybe its time for the zombies to mutate, and be a threat
again

The Zombies were very much a threat just last season. Remember Rick and company trying to protect Alexandria from the largest herd of walkers we've ever seen on the show?

The human element is always going to be the driving force of the story, but I do agree that the walkers should not be forgotten as a major threat by the writers, and so far this season, they have been. But the season is young.

1 week later
#1044 7 years ago

Wow, not a single post about last weeks episode?

Can't say I'm surprised. The show continues it's downward spiral this season. Ugh.

And it's showing up in the ratings:

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/walking-dead-ratings-fall-to-lowest-in-years-190236582.html

1 week later
#1097 7 years ago

Finally got around to watching this latest episode.

Ugh.

An entire episode dedicated to Tara? I forgot that she was even missing from recent episodes. This was another throw away episode with virtually nothing memorable about it (other than the obvious set up at the end about revealing that they exist and have guns, which we know Tara will reveal eventually)

The downward spiral for this season continues, and after this one, it's almost getting painful to watch.

#1106 7 years ago

Based on what we've seen this season, TWD is no better than FTWD.

I thought last season (6) was a very good one for TWD.

#1109 7 years ago

Why are we having *any* discussion about the comics in this thread?

It's ridiculous to be having a debate about whether certain discussions about the comics constitute a "spoiler" since the solution is so easy: no discussion about the comics should be allowed in this thread whatsoever. Period. The word "comic" should be banned from the thread.

There is another thread, mentioned above, where people can go if they want to discuss the comics.

I already know of a couple of people who have had to drain this thread because of the boobs who keep talking about the comics.

#1113 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So I take it there should be no mention of other zombie movies or homages? If so, it seems a bit ridiculous.

Just like your post.

#1115 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

All in all, they are building up a story line that involves a lot of characters and a lot of societies as well psychological mindsets. TWD is no longer about a handful of people trying to survive, but a handful of communities trying to survive.

Which is fine, but the problem is that all of these set-up/building up a story episodes have been boring and unmemorable. The coming big payoff at the end isn't going to do much to remedy the boring ride we had to endure to get there.

I am currently watching the last season of GOT on blu-ray. Very similar story structure there (lots of different groups), but the story telling is so much better in GOT it isn't funny. Plenty of episodes in GOT so far have not had a lot of action or big surprises either, other than the premiere episode, just like TWD. Better writing and acting can go a long way.

As someone else mentioned earlier, TWD needs to get back to using the writers that made the show what it was.

#1117 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude I can't disagree with that! GOT is my favorite show. So much, I am rewatching all the seasons/episodes now (slowly). It is so good. And holy crap it's so much better the second time through knowing all the main characters and story lines - it's easier to follow the side stories and back stories more.
Last season was TWDs peek. I don't get too much time to watch adult shows, so It's becoming a filler for the most part and it is losing its lust. Especially next to writing/acting such as GOT and Westworld.

I've got to start watching Westworld. Will have to wait until it streams or is released on blu-ray though.

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's the only way to do it.
I was a late starter for TWD and GOT so I was able to sit down and smash through the box sets on BluRay which I can get from the public library for $5 a week. We would sit down and watch 2-3 episodes a night.
Watching the new TWD series "in real time" on TV is torturous. We have it shown here same day as the US on free to air tv. The ads are killing me. And how do you wait a week between episodes? You forget what the hell is going on!
No way I could watch GOT like that .. there are so many plot lines and characters you'd just forget what the hell was happening and it'd be a big jumble. "Who's that dude again?"
rd

Couldn't agree more RD!

In fact, even with me doing GOT on Blu-ray, I find myself forgetting what happened during the previous season because I had to wait so long between seasons being released.

It was *much* better when I first got hooked on both TWD and GOT as they were both already several seasons along, so I could watch an episode every other night or so, or even more, if I wanted.

Now that I am caught up, I obviously can't do that anymore.

Same thing for me on Breaking Bad. I didn't start watching that show until it was already in it's 4th season. Being able to watch it regularly was a huge bonus.

But out of all of them, GOT is the one that is hardest to spread out because like you said, it is very easy to forget all that has happened with each of the characters (and "houses") between seasons. The story line is so deep and nuanced, it needs to be watched regularly without big gaps.

#1132 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Overall good show. But once again one of these idiots has Negan's baseball bat in his hand, is standing behind him and does not take the shot. Coral was on top of him walking down the stairs to the "Iron" scene. The kid just went in throwing his life away to get the guy but ends up singing him a song and holding Lucile? BS.
Negan just has hurt too many of his own people to not get wacked by now.

I kept thinking to myself "ok, this episode seems quite a bit better than what we've been seeing, I just have to put the stupid scene of Coral having a super easy shot to kill Negan with Lucille out of my mind."

Sadly, I couldn't. That stupid scene is what I remember most from the (1 1/2 hour long) episode.

Ugh.

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

And Z Nation more or less filled the hole left by TWD, even though it's a bit campy.

A "bit" campy?

Please. Z Nation is so over the top campy that I had to force myself to watch 5 episodes in order to "give it a chance" and frankly I regret watching that many episodes. Ugh.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

None of the comments about this season so far has made me want to pick up TWD again yet.

Did you watch last season? It was the best season in years. If you did watch last season and didn't like it and gave up on it, I don't see how you would ever be interested in watching it again. If you missed last season and you liked TWD previously, you really missed out IMO.

I see I'm not alone in this since the ratings are spiraling downward.

This season has been a disappointment so far, especially compared to last season.

I wonder if AMC would go back to Frank Darabont and ask him to save it.

Highly unlikely. That relationship ended on a really bad note. One reason is Darabont wanted more money for production, and AMC wouldn't give it to him. With ratings going down, it's unlikely that AMC would start spending more money on the show. Too bad, because the show has never really had quite the same feel to it once Darabont was gone (which was early on).

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Believe me, I want to like it....I really do. The series started off with a bang. I just can't stand the daytime soap opera nonsense that gets shoehorned into the show. That gets more screen time than the zombies do.

You say that like that's something new to the show. It's not. The show has never been just about the zombies. The term "walking dead" doesn't even refer to the zombies. The show is about how humanity acts when faced with the (zombie) apocalypse. If the human interaction is what you define as "soap opera nonsense" I have a hard time understanding how you *ever* liked the show.

#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It wasn't always the main focus.

I disagree.

Right from the pilot episode they had created the story line where Shane and Lori thought that Rick was dead, resulting in the two of them getting together (I think the second episode is the one where they were having sex in the woods) despite the fact that Shane was Rick's partner and friend. These kind of "soap opera" plot lines have played a big role right from the start.

1 week later
#1163 7 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Yeah, she will mind game you to death.

Carol is capable of much more than that.

Messages Image(3735173808) (resized).pngMessages Image(3735173808) (resized).png

Messages Image(3092702936).pngMessages Image(3092702936).png

Messages Image(2271616819).pngMessages Image(2271616819).png

#1198 7 years ago
Quoted from taz:

The show has always been on the boundary of believability in regards to human emotions and actions (forget the Zombies). But giving in to Negan so fully in a world with nothing else to lose is too much of a stretch. Thats why the ratings are plummeting.

Bingo!

1 month later
#1222 7 years ago

What a great episode! Amazing what some decent writing can do.

And...most epic mass Walker kill evar!!!

#1230 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

While not a realistic scene, the wire between the cars was a pretty good kill scene.

Quoted from Wickerman2:

Lucky thing both those cars fired right up!

Really?

Of all the unrealistic scenes that we've had in this series, this one was as realistic as anything we should expect at this point.

No reason that the cars wouldn't start or not have gas in them, as they had explained that the Saviors had recently moved them there.

#1233 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Moved does not equal just got the grease monkey 20 point tune up and actually driven....

Who said that it did?

If the Saviors were able to start those cars and get them moved to that spot, why wouldn't they start up for Rick?

Again, of all things to criticize...

#1245 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Fight the Rankor I mean Ronald or whoever spike guy was.
So many apocalypses shows have the strange garbage pail kids community with strange societal language and mannerisms. But that is usually a few generations after the apocalypse and nor just a few years.
10 minutes left to the show so I want to make my prediction before scenes from next week. They need the guns from the fish eating women.
Still better then most shows on TV. And no Coral this week!!!!!!

Agreed. The Dune type group was a bit jarring.

I liked the episode overall though. Partly because no Coral, but for me, no Negan was almost as much of a plus!

#1257 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

The jarring thing for me about the garbage pail kids group was the horrific cgi. When they show how big the trash empire is, the cgi is shamefully bad.
Edit: oops, someone already mentioned had bad it was.

It sure was.

But let's not forget about the equally terrible CGI of the stupid tiger.

#1264 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

What was worse specifically as compared to the rest of the season(s)?
Seems like it's following the usual TWD pattern of character development. Aside from the cheesy CGI, you can't deny it was heartwarming seeing Daryl Carol reunited. That last hug put you over the edge...you were crying and you know it.
They always throw in some slow filler setup episodes. This is nothing new.
It's still better than most of the rest of TV(not saying much but still).

Other than the season premiere and possibly the mid season finale, every episode this season has been a filler setup episode, and this one was no exception. I thought that as filler setup episodes go this season, this one was not bad.

1 month later
#1417 7 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I think there will be a twist at the end and he'll be around at least another season.
I suspect the garbage people will reveal they are with Negan.
LTG : )

You called it several weeks prior!

#1418 7 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

Fingers crossed Sasha dies but we know she won't.

Quoted from zr11990:

I can't mother ducking believe they did this. It's a giant fuck you to everyone who stuck with this shitfest all year to watch Neegan get his throat cut. The garbage pail kids turning on Ricks people was a surprise but I can't believe they ended the damn show without putting an end to Neegan. I watched this boring ass show every episode waiting for them to finally take him out and they give me the big middle finger. I'm done.

Seriously? There was almost zero chance that Negan was going to be killed in the season finale. There was not enough buildup for that to happen, and I always assumed that they would take a similar story arc that they used with The Governor, who also lasted a full season and half.

Negan will be dead by the middle of next season.

I was *hoping* he would be dead by the end of this season because I just can't stand his character. It's really bad. Annoying. And just not believable. The way he talks is beyond stupid. The Governor was 10 times better. We don't know shit about Negan and his background, or what made him the way he is. Complete opposite of The Governor, who was a much more complex and interesting character.

This whole season was a big letdown. Every episode will filler/setup. I *did* like how they dealt with Sasha's death in the finale....but good grief, when Ezekiel showed up with the Tiger and was yelling some nonsense was about the corniest thing I've seen yet. It was laughable.

I thought last season was really good. This year? It went downhill after the first episode, and it went downhill fast, and never really recovered.

#1428 7 years ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

Are you serious? The way Negan talks is so freaking awesome. It's definitely the best part of his character second only to the way he leans when talking.

lol

#1429 7 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Nope. He'll be around for a few more seasons. Bank on that.

That would be suicide for the show.

#1432 7 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Was anyone else put off by the obvious plot device that having Sasha hide in a casket was? I mean, what was the point of that ridiculous elaborate setup anyway, other than to give her a private place to take the poison pill and die in a slow, dramatic fashion to fill half the episode? L-A-M-E.

I thought it was the best part of the entire episode.

Quoted from Fytr:

I agree with most of your comments and generally feel the show has become too spread out across the characters, in too many different locations, with not enough happening in any one episode most of the time to provide a satisfying watch. I'm also sick of Negan's character already, hope he isn't featured much next season.

Agreed. I was sick of Negan after 3 episodes.

Quoted from Fytr:

My favorite episode this season was when Rick and Michonne were raiding the military amusement park. That was fun to watch and briefly rekindled the old vibe that the show originally had.

I couldn't agree more with this! That episode did give more of a feel of the first season or two.

1 year later
#2054 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Walking Dead finale: Terrible. This show has really worn out its welcome, has nothing new to say or do. Are we really supposed to get excited about some possible HIlltop vs. Rick storyline? I know the show isn't going anywhere as it's still profitable but it sucks ass now. They should have killed off rick - the show needs something that drastic to renew interest.

Agreed, the finale was beyond terrible. I was pissed that Rick let Negan survive. Not only because it's stupid as far as the story itself, but personally I have found Negan to be one of the most annoying characters ever put on the show.

People find this interesting/funny/amusing?

I much prefer a villain that is more complex and interesting when it comes to his character and what makes him tick (like the Governor).

6 months later
#2176 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Judith Grimes....The New BadASS!

DumbASS writing is more like it.

"Judith. Judith Grimes."

And with that, this show has certainly officially jumped the shark, if it hadn't already.

Holy crap, what a disaster of an episode. We were all played. Again.

#2177 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

And Herschel, Glenn, Abraham, etc, etc, etc....

We did see Herschel, which was cool, especially in light of the actor having passed recently. But no Glenn. No Abraham. No Lori. But we got to see Sasha! You know, that character that was never particularly close to Rick. So yeah, it made perfect sense to have Sasha in one of his dreams/flashbacks.

#2178 5 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Hopefully Rick's last episode is better then Carl's, that was painful.

How'd that work out for ya?

Quoted from gweempose:

There is no way Rick dies from that Horde that's heading towards him. In fact, I think it's unlikely that Rick will be killed off in any way in the next episode. I agree that he will probably wind up with whoever is in the helicopter.

Nailed it.

#2181 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Is that Alexandria getting nuked in your avatar?

I wish!

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from Fulltilt:

Apparently Rick's departure makes more sense. He's being lined up for 2-3 possible spin-offs on AMC.

Yep. Rick's "final episode" was nothing more than a desperate money grab. TWD's ratings are the lowest they've been since the series first started. They are just trying to milk every last bit out of it before it dies a horrible death.

#2194 5 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

DumbASS writing is more like it.
"Judith. Judith Grimes."
And with that, this show has certainly officially jumped the shark, if it hadn't already.

Quoted from Fytr:

This is definately the episode where the series jumped the shark.

Quoted from fxdwg:

was just coming here to post JUMPED THE SHARK!!

Yep.

#2206 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Did anyone actually think they were going to kill off Rick Grimes? I wasn't fooled for a second.

I agree, but I never thought the show would go on without him either.

Trying to think of how many of the original characters from the first season are left? Daryl and Carol? Don't know if Morgan counts?

All I know is that there are fewer characters that I am interested in, and even those that I do care about are less interesting since most of the characters that they played off of are dead.

We are at the point in this franchise where we are watching it die a slow and painful death.

#2212 5 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Why wouldn't Morgan count? I think he was in episode #1 and he's still alive &amp; kicking..

I question whether he counts because it doesn't appear that he will be showing up much anymore. I know they did some kind of crossover with FTWD but I am clueless as to what happened with that since I don't watch FTWD. If his character is going to continue to be on TWD, then he obviously counts.

So even including Morgan, there are only 3 characters left from season 1.

#2213 5 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

Unfortunately I think that there is not much story left to tell with TWD, and they should wrap it up before it turns into a joke. I keep hoping that it gets better, and I keep watching. After last night I am not so sure that I am going to continue watching. More often than not, it is a chore for me to sit through an episode, whereas in the past I did not want the current episode to end.

I could have written this myself, exactly how I feel.

#2220 5 years ago
Quoted from SteveO:

When is Negan going to escape and stir up trouble again?

Exactly. Such an obvious setup.

And having Negan "imprisoned" so close to the open where he can freely talk to Judith is

2 weeks later
#2245 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's still the #1 rated show on cable according to the article you posted so not sure AMC will give a shit?
I mean...obviously SOMEONE is watching:
"On the bright side, this week’s episode was up a few percentage points in each measure from last week’s episode. It was also once again the highest-rated show on cable for the night, with the show currently ranking as cable’s top-rated show for the season."

The midseason finale had a viewership that was 1/3 of that for Season 5. And the numbers were significantly lower than last years midseason finale, which was already the lowest rated one to that point (a 2.0 rating vs 3.4 last year, which is a decline of 42%).

Fans of this show are leaving in droves.

But AMC doesn't give a shit? Uh, ok.

#2247 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

#1 is #1. I think you are overplaying the droves.
The show's been on forever. You'd expect it to be off the air by now, rather than just losing fans. This is normal for any hit tv show that's been around this long.
They'll milk this thing as long as they can, but get back to us when it's #2 and we can really start to panic!
Have YOU abandoned the show now, and just watching ratings numbers?

I have semi abandoned it. I stopped watching halfway through the prior episode out of sheer boredom, and I have not watched the mid season finale yet.

#1 is not #1. There are obviously different levels of #1. Do you seriously think that advertisers pay as much for a commercial when the rating is a 2.0 compared to a 7.6 rating? That is a viewership of 5.1 million vs 14.8 million. Just a tad more than 1/3 of the peak viewership.

Those low ratings equate to less money in AMC's pocket. So it seems pretty obviously that they do care, despite your prior comment.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robt.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight?tu=robt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.