(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#47 8 years ago

Watched it on AMC's player online. My deep thoughts:

1) why do all these networks need custom video players in this day and age?
2) why do all these networks' custom video players suck so much in this day and age?
3) why are all the FTWD characters at best really boring, and at worst completely unlikeable?

I give this pilot 7 horrible online video players out of 10; I don't even know what that means.

1 month later
#329 8 years ago

Didn't see anyone mention Rick badly cutting his hand. They made it reasonably obvious his hand was cut and bleeding badly for some reason, and anyone who has read the comics (I actually haven't but know enough to be aware) should find this event potentially interesting...

Also I doubt Glenn is dead, but he should be. I don't like flip flopping unless there's a very good plot device in place (as I believe there is in something like GoT) and in TWD I don't see any escape from Glenns fate except some classic/lazy deus ex machina

3 months later
#462 8 years ago

I feel like it was supposed to be the midseason opener. The passage of time and jarring change in tone was odd for only being one week apart from the last episode. Feels like someone made the decision to move the midseason finale in between the two dark themed and violent episodes for a better cliffhanger (that seemed a bit forced and impromptu with the weird "mom" timing conflicts and other inconsistencies between episodes)

Was a good episode imo, but it didn't feel like it fit quite right in the pacing. Took the whole episode to find out we were two months later (unless I missed that mentioned earlier) but it would have felt correct if we had waited a few months for the episode itself.

2 weeks later
#500 8 years ago

I don't like this thing Carol is doing where she's getting all wound up over killing people (theoretically the worst people we've met!) and seemingly regressing a bit. She became such an independent badass, saving the entire group from Terminus, and ultimately getting shit done that others couldn't/wouldn't do, even going so far as to 'fake' being nothing more than a housewife in Alexandria. I don't enjoy seeing her start to second guess herself all over again.

That said, the acting from Melissa Mcbride this week was great, even if I disliked the character arc. She really sold her "pretend weakness" mode but at the same time conveyed (to the audience) that it isn't 100% a facade anymore - she is potentially 'weakening' while still trying to show determination when necessary (boom! headshot!)

#503 8 years ago

The more I think about it the more I think Carol is going to die this season finale. Someone pretty much always has to go and her death would hit hard, and could probably conclude her actions and remorse in some sort of redemptive way. Saving Maggie's baby seems to be the likely trade there.

Still a shame imo. She's by far the second best character in the series imo....

#510 8 years ago

Regardless what happens, one thing I hope they don't do is trivialize all this Negan/Saviors stuff in the next season. They spent like what 1-1.5 entire seasons hyping Terminus, left it on a great cliffhanger, introduced a very compelling villain in Gareth at the start of the next season, then resolved Terminus in like one episode, and concluded Gareth after like 3 or 4. Was very disappointed at that.

We've now spent half a season building to Negan (and with limited knowledge of the comics the hype of Negan from the comic fans has ALWAYS been high) so I sure hope it can deliver a good solid plot arc next season that lasts more than the premiere and a follow up episode.

Looking back on this season I feel like the show needs something to anchor it a bit more, and it's been the lack of a true villain that has held it back imo. The wolves, the saviors, zombies, these are lately all just fodder for chaos and conflict and are mostly interchangeable in my mind (especially since I know exactly zero names as they are almost all immediately dealt with in any given incident).

I think we need a longer lasting Governor/Gareth/Negan type character to really focus a plot line and bring some storytelling to the antagonists. Otherwise its just an endless revolving door of 'oh we're being attacked by _________ today".

#515 8 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

It does look, however, that Fear the walking dead, may be drastically improved, and catch my attention better in the 2nd season, by the previews

The #1 issue I had with FTWD was that 100% of the characters started off essentially unlikeable and then continued to make dumb moves that made me dislike them more.

If they somehow manage to correct that in an episode or two I might get into it, but as it stands FTWD is not something I will watch much past a couple more episodes at this point.

#516 8 years ago

Does ANYONE actually care about Abraham/Sasha/Rosita like, at all? I've hated Abraham and his tryhard-tough-but-ineffective facade since he was introduced, Sasha is just frustratingly moody and inept when the show requires it, and Rosita is literally pointless. The new character Jesus is 100x better written and more interesting than these other 3 combined even after seasons of exposure...

Am I just not invested in large aspects of the series anymore or are these just painfully annoying and pointless characters?

#528 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

You have to have some boring characters or else everybody will be over-the-top...tough guy sheriff, samurai lady, redneck tracker etc. You need some filler around them or else they are like the Avengers.

Fair enough and I do agree, but when parts of the show, or in this case almost the entire episode, specifically revolves around them it feels pretty forced to me.

#529 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Goodbye Carol (again!), don't let the gate hit your bony ass on the way out....

Quoted from Stones:

Wtf is going on with the whole Carol angle? I wonder if they go chase after her next week.....and someone dies

There's no way Carol survives this season imo - I would bet she gets captured (again) next episode, and eventually killed (possibly others as well) by Negan in the finale.

Man the Negan hype is huge - I honestly don't expect them to deliver on it just due to the unrealistic expectations I've built up over how 'bad' he is. For years I've been reading "Just wait until Negan...." and all season it's been "Negan is coming"... at this point killing Carol isn't even all that shocking or upsetting in the context of the show.

1 week later
#570 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'm not buying that.
You already watched SIX episodes, and you are gonna watch more, yet you are threatening to not watch it anymore?
I find that hard to believe.

Six episodes is nothing - not even half a season of a full fledged 13 episode season run. I've abandoned shows after far more commitment than a measly six episodes. Six episode commitment = lifetime viewer for you? I find that hard to believe.

If it was confirmed to me right now in an advance review that this season of FTWD will be exactly the same crap as those six episodes I won't even threaten - Ill tell you right now I won't tune in even to the premiere.

#571 8 years ago

Interested to see who dies next week. I feel like Carol OR Darryl is inevitably done for, but Carol's plot kinda went a different way this week than I anticipated. Glen is probably safe as long as there is a dumpster nearby

I also feel like there will be a casualty in the Abraham love triangle... could just be a guilty hope tho.

Can't wait to finally see what this Negan character is all about. Been hearing about him for years - hope he delivers.

#575 8 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Daryl better be fucking dead.

I definitely don't think he is yet - they seemed to add the "He'll be fine" line after the fade to black probably because of all the crappy cliffhanger "deaths". Next week might result in his death though; it looked like Darryl was bait next week in the preview, and based on what the character seems to be about, I'm guessing Negan is looking to "make an example" of someone.

Quoted from lowepg:

I'm starting to feel like these people are too stupid to survive much longer....

I'm not sure if this is intentional or just sloppy storytelling - Rick has seemingly been on a bit of a 'humanizing' or 'complacency' journey as far as leadership goes and it's resulted in a ton of bad decisions throughout Alexandria. I tend to lean towards poor story telling though since they haven't really made a 'thing' about it (unlike with carol) and he still tends to act as needed when he's directly involved (shooting wolves, stabbing Hilltop guy, shooting at a runaway this week)

#583 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Pack up your shit and go and a nice spacious ISLAND....

For what it's worth, it looks like FTWD is heading towards this 'at sea' idea. At least, the finale suggested it, and the previews seem to indicate that direction.

#585 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

I think the fact that this program is on AMC will not help Negan's character. If this show was on HBO.. Watch the fuckidy fuck out!

Without knowing exactly what this character is all about, I've heard the Blu-ray will feature a less restrained cut of his debut. They've done this a couple times I think in TWD where they put in F-bombs on the home release in place of less 'offensive' verbage from the aired version. No clue if that makes it's way into the Netflix version which would be the only home version I'd tap into.

I do find it a bit odd that we can have peoples faces, guts, and limbs literally eaten/smashed/cut off on screen, but a few F-bombs is beyond AMC. Put a special disclaimer before the episode on excessive profane language and let er' rip I say!

#586 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

the previews make it look like it doesn't go well either...maybe the writers got tired of the "find an island" solution

The problem with these types of solutions in any form of entertainment is that if they are really such a great idea, there's no story left to tell.
If they decide to try this 'easy street' solution there will always have to be some way it goes wrong - usually by people doing stupid shit to ruin it - which fits right into the horrible FTWD character behaviour frankly.

#591 8 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

It's one thing when their in close quarters, but for chrissake, when you're out on the open use a spear??!?!?!

This is exactly what my brother harps on and there's no excuse.
You built a wall, you can stand on the wall, make ONE spear ---> you literally just killed 100% of the zombies at your wall over the course of the next ~45 minutes.

Although the hilltops and saviors seem to carry spears as of last episode... and Alexandrians put spears on vehicles now which makes NO sense.... why on earth would you want the zombie you hit to stick with you?!

In a real zombie apocalypse (with these shambling non-running zombies) a spear/polearm/halberd would be your go to weapon, with firearms restricted to killing other humans unless absolutely necessary to use on zombies.

#592 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

you can just hit them with a staff apparently...Morgan does it all the time with zero head "penetration"

I think the 'theory' is that the blunt force trauma to their mush brain/skull kills them.

It's BS imo which is another reason I hate Morgan - another character that was hyped up over a couple seasons, who then showed up and proceeded to be a huge obstacle and not much else. Plot wise, what purpose does he even serve? Aside from 'omg he was in the first episode' he has contributed nothing but proof he isn't a fit in the show/universe... even his speech about how the Wolf he captured saved Denise so 'people can change' is such shit - the only reason she needed saving was directly due to Morgan's selfish and unrealistic actions (twice!) and it's debateable if he did it for himself or not.

Would be interesting to see Negan deal with Morgan and vice versa - Negan seems to be a fan of hitting things with sticks too

#594 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

He will be the catalyst for the shift in Rick's behavior... Moving towards reestablishing a society and system of order beyond just killing.

Without knowing anything about the plotline in the comics, I feel like Negan is about to prove Rick correct and make sure society and order is the last thing on the group's mind... If anything I feel like it's more likely Morgan will be forced to realize what might be required in this new world.

Despite the few issues over this season it has kept me entertained better than some seasons past - at least stuff is happening and I'm compelled to be interested in how it turns out.

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

<temporary edit by moderator - comic book spoiler removed>

Thank you

Quoted from pmWolf:

I need a consensus on how you want to handle comic book spoilers.
- Nobody cares, and it is allowed?
- Not allowed, but just have the post edited?
- Not allowed, post should be edited and user ejected. (24 hours for first offense, 5 days for second, permanent thread eject for third)

Not allowed - just edit I would say

Quoted from jonesjb:

The ironic thing is I mentioned the contents of my edited post with good intentions to assuage Purpledrilmonkey that my earlier response wasn't a TV spoiler from the comic (due to different plot progressions in the comic).

I appreciate your efforts but I don't need my concerns addressed in any way by the comic
If I was wanting that I'd have started reading it years ago, but I'm content to wait and see how the show goes. I just like BS'ing about stuff I'm interested in, the good and the bad.

I still say Morgan is crap

#604 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

I think that it's quite amusing that the, so called "spoilers" that are being reported... (which is a fucking joke in itself).. only prove the fact that you cannot look to the graphic novel to predict what the AMC show is going to do..

Still, even pointing out the differences with the source material can indicate (or indicate a source material departure of) the next steps in the plot.

For instance I found out that GoT has skipped over a key character in the show that was in the book - now the consensus is that exact character isn't coming to the show, but for me a comparable substitute character showing up in the same context has significantly less 'wow' factor just by knowing what the 'universe' of GoT might hold. I'd rather not have known about the book plot at all in this instance.

#605 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Part of the discussion about the TV show should be about discussing the source material

Disagree 100% in the context of a 'show' discussion.

#615 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

That's a good point, so the concern about the spoilers is not that it's ruining the comic for would be readers, but potentially spoiling the TV show

Bingo (imo at least)

That said, I can understand the desire to discuss the comparison and similarities/differences but there are dedicated spaces for that discussion. The comparison is often fascinating from the context of what works/doesn't work in specific entertainment mediums.

Once TWD has run its course as a show I fully plan to seek out the key differences for curiosity sake, but I don't really plan to read the comics.

#618 8 years ago

Dumb question.... is FTWD based on the graphic novel too?

#637 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

That is a spoiler. One again why do we have to heard about the Fucking Comic! He did not say he could not kill the leader and he smashed in someone unknown. Could be Rick but I guess not if he said that in the comic.

It is a spoiler and I'm tired of "in the comics _____ happens" but frankly with the stupid cliffhanger ending the show did, there's no way it's Rick anyway imo

#638 8 years ago

My thoughts,

- Negan was awesome; best 10 minutes of this part of the season no doubt. The acting from Andrew Lincoln (Rick) sold the situation more than anything.

- Rest of the episode was 'meh'; should have been a 60 minute episode and the Carol/Morgan plotline continues to meander to nowhere, with the only breadcrumb now being a bunch of football padded horsemen.

- Cliffhanger was beyond dumb; they needed to show someone dying after all this hype, and frankly it should have been multiple people as it's been since carl's eye got shot that we have had a 'big death' and I don't know if anyone was sad to see that family go anyway.

With the way they did this, it basically rules out anyone important as the death will be anticlimactic as hell next season, even if it starts right from that scene. My guess is we will actually be doing a "6 months later" opening where Rick and Co. are subservient to Negan, and we find out 'oh so-and-so is the one who died'. This to me means its likely going to be Aaron as he's the closest to a forgettable 'Red Shirt' in this situation, but I could see Eugene, Shasha, Rosita, or Abraham as well. Despite the old "anyone can die" mentality these shows like TWD and GoT tend to push, TWD is certainly becoming pretty safe for main characters imo.

#640 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Red shirt seems like it is not exciting enough, but when a major player gets killed we see it and go into shock (Like Beth).

If they'd have SHOWN it this episode, it could have been (almost) anyone. Now it pretty much has to be a Red Shirt because there will be no shock in Season 8 premiere, just 'wtf it was ___?'. The death of the main characters deserve more than this imo, but frankly TWD has been inconsistent enough that I guess they could try it this way.

#641 8 years ago

For the record, despite the issues, I enjoyed this season. Stuff actually happened that kept me entertained.

There were some pretty rough patches back in season 3-4 if I recall where I almost abandoned ship where it seemed like the plot stalled out and we were just going though the motions. This season had issues, but it was entertaining.

Looking forward, as I said before, I hope Negan can last a season or two. This show needs an antagonist with a name, a face, and a motive that can persist past a few opening episodes. Would love to see Rick and Co. hit the road again with the intent of rallying for revenge; probably with Carol's Riders of Rohan who, while interesting, looked a little silly frankly.

1 week later
#711 8 years ago

I didn't watch FTWD. Based on the lukewarm responses I've read online I will be bowing out of that series.

See you guys in season 7 of TWD!

#733 8 years ago

I got into this last year on Netflix (here in Canada-land it comes out episode by episode the day after airing in the US - only way to watch it legally here afaik) and I was admittedly 100% ready to hate all over it...

It is in fact one of the better apocalyptic/sci-fi shows going right now. My ONLY gripe is it does touch on the whole young-adult/hunger games/'teenagers can do anything' genre a bit heavily in the earlier episodes, but it's never insufferable enough to overshadow the more compelling plot lines.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider purpledrilmonkey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight?tu=purpledrilmonkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.