(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1431 7 years ago

Was anyone else put off by the obvious plot device that having Sasha hide in a casket was? I mean, what was the point of that ridiculous elaborate setup anyway, other than to give her a private place to take the poison pill and die in a slow, dramatic fashion to fill half the episode? L-A-M-E.

I agree with most of your comments and generally feel the show has become too spread out across the characters, in too many different locations, with not enough happening in any one episode most of the time to provide a satisfying watch. I'm also sick of Negan's character already, hope he isn't featured much next season.

My favorite episode this season was when Rick and Michonne were raiding the military amusement park. That was fun to watch and briefly rekindled the old vibe that the show originally had.

6 months later
#1506 6 years ago

I'm at the point that if Negan isn't dead by the end of the next episode... maybe I watch something else. How long can you string it out? It's really not that interesting anymore.

2 weeks later
#1550 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Funny how those cars sit for years with good batteries and gas.
I'm still routing for the zombies. Daryl can live. Only good scene was him capping the guy before Rick could even react.

Yeah, and why aren't there any late model cars abandoned anywhere. The last time I saw a car on the show that didn't look like it was 15 years old when the zombie apocolypse hit was back when they drove around in that lame Hyundai for a few seasons...

3 weeks later
#1653 6 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Example was last season finale when Rick was about to be killed, Sasha comes out like a Jack in the box and all the sudden the tables are turned (what?). 99.9 a single zombie is nothing but have one pop out of a coffin and it’s like the end of the world for the Saviors.

Yeah that whole bit where she rides in a casket was a ridiculous plot device. Really lazy writing.

1 month later
#1751 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I was pondering when the show went bad. I'd say it was good through to when Alexandria was discovered. Went south with Rick's hair brained scheme to march the pit of walkers down the road. From then on, character after character made stupid choices, or they did dumb stuff like fake Glenn death.
The big pit of walkers could have been dealt with easily - just set up snipers to take out the ones most likely to break out, even if its hundreds I'm sure they had enough ammo, and reinforce that pit to keep doing what it was doing, which was keeping Alexandria safe.

I think you nailed it. Jumped that shark right then and there. Stopped being an interesting thought experiment on actually surviving and became a vehicle for senselenss plot twists, etc.

3 weeks later
#1807 6 years ago

I thought it was an okay episode. They did take too long for Carl to die, and he was waaay too chatty in the end. He really did seem to perk up at one point. Better direction could have fixed that.

I really like that Carl died from some random walker bite in the middle of some relatively mundane task vs. as the pinnacle in a giant plot point (killing Negan or something). That rang true for a change. And I lol'ed when he shot himself, I saw that coming 10-miles away.

The show is a caricature of itself at this point, but still entertaining.

#1814 6 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

That wasn't exactly hidden. I don't remember exactly what Carl said, but it was something along the lines of him being strong enough and not wanting to put that burden on anyone else.

Yeah, but it occurred to me at the start of the episode. Why wouldn't Carl be the one to do it. He took his own mother out after all.

3 weeks later
#1875 6 years ago

I agree Rick's inability to hit Negan with a friggin' machine gun and then pistol, and to sooo poorly manage his ammo was ridiculous. I guess he's supposed to be in some kind of insane rage or something and not thinking but gimme a break. Should have brought Daryl he would have nailed him with the crossbow no problem.

I half expected them both to end up trapped in a pit together and have to make friendly to survive or something.

Still watching though.

#1887 6 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I want to see Negan's #2 guy, whatever his name is, die a horrific death. He is a total fucking asshole and deserves it.

You mean Eugene? Ha, I couldn't agree more!

3 weeks later
#1956 6 years ago

TWD and FTWD have both moved away from the aspect that I actually enjoy the most, seeing how the group survives against the externalities (walkers, starvation, etc.) and become glorified soap operas that are way too character driven now. There's zero attention paid to how the group feeds itself, walkers are only a threat when the plot demands that they be, etc. Frankly, with all the politics and personal BS going on between the groups and characters I'd rather head out on my own for some me time.

Reminds me of how the original few seasons of Survivor where hunger, cold, etc. were critical elements of the show. Now it's just Big Brother on a tropical island.

I'm sure it's way cheaper to shoot a zombie show where 90% of the shots are close-ups of people standing around emoting vs. actual action in the world. Sucks though.

#1958 6 years ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

I have to respectfully disagree. I want to see character development. And FTWD did spend a lot of time last season about food and water, in addition to having two groups merge together into one. There was a lot of tension between the groups, as well as tension about the water situation and how the groups dealt with that. It was just really good storytelling.
On the other hand, TWD seems to be "put them in this situation and see what happens" and isn't paying attention to characters anymore.

Yeah, FTWD was certainly better than TWD has been in that regard.

I feel like TWD has milked their characters for too long without earning it recently. I'm kind of at the point where I'd be happy to see them all die in a hail of self-inflicted bullets, ricocheting off the broad side of the barn wall that they couldn't hit if Negan was standing in front of it.

I feel like I'm now rooting for the crazy garbage pile lady...

4 weeks later
#2061 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

Just watched the 2 most recent FTWDs. Holy hell are they making some compelling TV. This is easily the best Walking Dead story telling I can recall since "look at the flowers".
And the production values of Fear have always been superior to the original. Very cinematic. And unlike some of the TWD episodes directed by Nicotero, who tries to get all art school with it, here the devices they use are far better executed.

Yeah so far this season of FTWD has been great. Loved the old waterpark stuff, so fun.

Part of it is balancing compelling new characters with those you already know, and keeping the cast size down a bit. Love the struggle to survive aspect which TWD alludes to but spends more time on interpersonal politics than anything else. A little worried that we're headed for another season of giant gun battles though after the last episode where they open the cache and are out for revenge...

...I hope it doesn't end well!

3 weeks later
#2070 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I think the entire genre is out of ideas. The reality is if there was some sort of catastrophic apocalypse, the survivors would have long grouped up for survival. And I mean in large groups working together. Not handful of double digit people groups and then fighting amongst themselves. Or, still vulnerable to outside threats like a herd.
A city of 2000 people working together would make short work out of any of these problems.

Except each 2000 person community would war with one next to them. It's in our nature.

1 week later
#2077 5 years ago

Well this season has been ups and downs in turns of quality. This week's show was pretty brutally directed IMHO. All the cheesy slow motion couldn't save the crappy writing. It was so bad it was funny.

The camera lady is already a farce. Oh god, let's bring out the camera again...

Anyway, they went for something and missed. It happens. I look forward to the cowboy recovering and he and the blonde lady living happily ever after.

3 months later
#2106 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I stopped watching, decided to check this thread to see whats going on and.... yikes. When everyone stops caring you are finished.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm still watching. I'd say the first 1/2 of the latest Fear season was pretty good. The second half slowed down to the usual crawl with characters all inexplicably deciding to bugger off on their own for no particular reason, etc. etc.

...and the ridiculous crazy lady with the walker on a stick. That whole thing was lame as hell. As if you could sneak up on people on a wide open road like that. Idiotic.

Ended with a whimper like they're some kind of super heroes or something. FAIL.

#2114 5 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

So what's with them announcing Rick Grimes leaving? Seems desperate. I mean, yeah the actor may want out after 9 years, but they used to not announce this stuff.

It's a tease. They'll drag it out forever and in the last 30 seconds of the last episode he'll suddenly decide that he doesn't want to leave the show after all, completely out of character. I'm still friggin' pissed about them robbing me of the satisfaction of FINALLY seeing Rick blows Negan's fat head off last season.

1 month later
#2192 5 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

So why exactly was there a crate full of dynamite just sitting on the bridge?

Because everyone knows you need dynamite to build a bridge... And it's always a good idea to just leave it out in the elements to get rained on and such.

This is definately the episode where the series jumped the shark.

Greg Nicotero is great effects guy and a shitty director.
Totally zero emotional investment in Rick's "demise". Cheezy slow motion group reaction shots, so bad.

Maggie being completely and instantly swayed/played by Negan's cry baby act was just brutal. Just f**ng bash his head in nice and slow already, puleeeeze. How incredibly satisfying would that have been for the viewers. But no. Gotta milk that dried up cow some more.

I could have written a better farewell for Rick in my sleep. How about Rick comes back and tries to stop Maggie from killing Negan and Maggie puts him down in the struggle, and then totally bashes Negan's head to small pieces in a grief driven rage upon realizing what she's done. Beautifully ironic that Rick dies trying to save Negan, etc. etc.

Must be time to start watching something else I guess...

1 week later
#2223 5 years ago

...nobody is going to mention the utter and complete ridiculousness of the zombie hoard "talking" as it passed by Eugene and co.?

If the zombies start talking I'm friggin' out. They are turning this into a (bad) parody of what it started out as.

4 months later
#2337 5 years ago
Quoted from Coolpinballdino:

I'm kinda disappointed with the pike scene half the characters killed I couldn't even tell you there names probably and the main characters that were killed I was like finally good riddance.

You're disappointed that they got rid of a bunch of charcters you didn't like? I was pretty happy about it myself.

Though it was disturbing how quickly they all seemed to get over the mass killings of long time characters...

Good epidsode I would say.

#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinballs:

To kidnap so many folks from the fair does suggest rather lax border security. Also, Alpha's facemask looked too Dove cream like the actual character and not like a leather corpse mask a la Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
And what wusses most of the characters and 'leaders' are. It's a liberal hand-wringing PC Hollywood conspiracy I tells ya
Besides that, a relatively good episode. Darryl is easily the best and most interesting character right now. That big guy right hand man to Alpha is good too, in a James Bond Jaws kinda way. Making his fight with Darryl one of the best scenes IMO.

Well in order to bring groups together you have to compromise, something that requires, you know, consideration of others positions and stuff.

I agree it's nice to have a new villian in the show. Though seems like they can just avoid each other's territory and keep the peace? Yeah... that won't happen.

1 week later
#2370 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Walkers frozen standing, 100yds later- crawling out of the snow like it's nothing. /sigh.

Snow is a great insulator. Totally makes sense.

I actually have to say that on the whole i enjoyed this season. Glad to see they are losing some older characters and moving forward. It's just a stupid zombie show afterall.

2 years later
#2409 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

This show has gotten horrible and need to die a quick painful death. Too many spin offs. Ridiculous storylines. It was pretty good up to Negan. When they kept Negan alive it was all downhill….the dood killed your husband and others. It’s like they characters got dumber as the show went on. We all wanted one more showdown with Daryl and Beta and Negan takes them out…lame. And Carol goes from becoming a BAD ASS blowing up the building as they were about to be gutted at the trough to soft hearted wimp again…only reason we watch is to see the end which can’t get here soon enough. FTWD is even more ridiculous so don’t get me started on that one. TWD was great in the beginning but has become one of the worst shows which is a shame.

I agree. Not killing Negan and giving the fans the satisfaction that would have brought was the lamest decision they ever made. They were simply thinking hey, with Rick stepping out we need a charismatic lead so Negan it is!

Still watching to the end though...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fytr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight?tu=fytr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.