(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg
There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 49.
#201 8 years ago

It's frustrating to watch.. These awful charterers simply have no dialog among each other of what the hell is going on. The military - Of all the millions of people is southern California, why did the military select that shit hole neighborhood to protect? And a soldier let a civilian fire his weapon, give me a break!

#202 8 years ago

The finale was great IMHO.

Love Strand. I hope he plays a huge role in season 2.

Flight 462 should be interesting.

Now bring on Season 6!!!

Marcus

#203 8 years ago

Cannot wait for TWD season 6, but man, FTWD...This shows characters need to coalesce in the next season if there is one.

I'm just not suuuure..... And I'm a serious Zombie fanatic.

#204 8 years ago

This show was an appetizer before the main course, TWD. I'm ready for Rick, Carol, Morgan, and the gang.

#205 8 years ago

The finale should have been the first episode. I basically have no appreciation for any of the characters, other than the rich not-white guy.

Some of the characters man'd up this episode, but too little too late.

#206 8 years ago

Well, I guess now the kid never gets out of those stupid clothes!

Terrible continuity at the end. The father beats that solider to a pulp with his bare hands, but then in the final scene they zoom in on him and there are no marks at all on his knuckles.

Strand is the only interesting thing in the show. He could probably carry the show if they kill off half the other character and introduce some other interesting people. I'd still give the show a chance. I mean, Season 2 of TWD was pretty awful but they turned that around the following season. Strand just needs a believable back-story. Why he would let any of those people stay with him, let alone save the kid unless he was planning on using him as a human shield. They really need to show why he would have empathy for the kid. If the writers flesh that out, then it could be interesting.

I am so glad they showed a boat! Almost everyone I've spoken to about the TWD has asked why they don't head for an island or a boat. I know the zombies can survive underwater, but it must be better than on the mainland.

Anyway, looking forward to Rick taking over the town next week!

#207 8 years ago

Definitely the best episode yet. Still don't like the characters. The druggie has his little epiphany about how everyone else is just catching up to him? Give me a break. Then the pacifist suddenly beats someone to a pulp and shoots his x wife in the head? Right. Then they let out the zombies to kill everyone in the military compound? Even Rick in the real TWD hasn't graduated to that level.

I'm guessing the writing is so bad in this version because they don't have comic books to roughly follow?

#208 8 years ago

My thoughts exactly. These bunch of nice guys just killed how many people by releasing the Zombie herd? Oh wait, it is the evil military so we don't care.

They did it to get three people back and ended up with just the druggie.

The druggie thinks everyone is in his world now? How's that? He spends his life leaching off other people and now those people and resources are not available. Sure, his mom grabbed a bunch of drugs for him, she is a tool. Druggies death would have been the only saving grace to this season.

Oh, and little idiot boy trying to take on 3 soldiers. That was just stupid. Why not just say "we don't have the keys" or something? But trying to punch him out was so stupid.

The best thing about this show is the fact that now that it is over the real show comes back on Sunday. I hope it does not start to suffer from whatever happened to this train-wreck.

Does anyone know if this is the consensus on blogs outside of Pinside? Is AMC hearing this?

#209 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

My thoughts exactly. These bunch of nice guys just killed how many people by releasing the Zombie herd? Oh wait, it is the evil military so we don't care.
They did it to get three people back and ended up with just the druggie.
The druggie thinks everyone is in his world now? How's that? He spends his life leaching off other people and now those people and resources are not available. Sure, his mom grabbed a bunch of drugs for him, she is a tool. Druggies death would have been the only saving grace to this season.
Oh, and little idiot boy trying to take on 3 soldiers. That was just stupid. Why not just say "we don't have the keys" or something? But trying to punch him out was so stupid.
The best thing about this show is the fact that now that it is over the real show comes back on Sunday. I hope it does not start to suffer from whatever happened to this train-wreck.
Does anyone know if this is the consensus on blogs outside of Pinside? Is AMC hearing this?

Can't please everyone. I thought the episode was the best of the bunch and left the show at a good place.

In TWD they would never have found everyone again after running from the prison. Then Carol shows up to the second that Glen's about to take a Louisville Slugger to the back of the head.

It's a show, not everything is going to follow logic and reality 100%. I mean, it's about zombies!

#210 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Then they let out the zombies to kill everyone in the military compound? Even Rick in the real TWD hasn't graduated to that level.

Yes, I found that to be completely unbelievable. The writing has been all around pretty bad. I was hoping for more of a story about how the infection came about, how society broke down, etc. I don't feel like I've really gotten much of that from this series to this point.

I'll still watch next season, but I hope they can pull it together to hold my interest.

#211 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Definitely the best episode yet. Still don't like the characters. The druggie has his little epiphany about how everyone else is just catching up to him? Give me a break. Then the pacifist suddenly beats someone to a pulp and shoots his x wife in the head? Right. Then they let out the zombies to kill everyone in the military compound? Even Rick in the real TWD hasn't graduated to that level.
I'm guessing the writing is so bad in this version because they don't have comic books to roughly follow?

I agree with all of this. Best episode of the series so far, yet that isn't saying much and there was still plenty to criticize.

The reason it was the best episode is because at least there were finally situations that the characters were in that created some tension and drama throughout the episode. We really didn't see much of that previously.

But man, lots of stupid stuff still, like the ridiculous example of the pacifist dad that you mentioned nearly killing the soldier with his bare hands. And the portrayal of the military continues to be pretty ridiculous and stereotypical of many shows. They are in the middle of a huge horde of zombies, running for their lives, but one of the soldiers has time to get sexual with the daughter and asks her if she's sure she doesn't want to go with him?

I'm surprised that there wasn't some type of cliff hanger ending that would try to hook people into wanting to watch next seasons first episode. All we are left with is them possibly getting ready to get on the boat with Strand.

#212 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

But man, lots of stupid stuff still, like the ridiculous example of the pacifist dad that you mentioned nearly killing the soldier with his bare hands.

I'm actually totally ok with this. he was /pissed/ because it's now his fault that Ophelia got shot. He trusted the guy, and learned that Daniel was right all along - he never should've let him go. He tried to do the right thing and it totally backfired.

http://io9.com/fear-the-walking-dead-ends-with-death-destruction-and-1734681624

#213 8 years ago

The Waking Dead is a very good show. Fear the Walking Dead is not in the same league. In last night's finale, they had to resort to cheap lighting effects for the fight scenes. I think the makeup and the costumes for the walkers are simply cheap, and they disguise it with night scenes and strobe effects. However, I still watched... thank goodness for DVRs.

#214 8 years ago

Okay, here's my post-mortem thoughts about Fear the Walking Dead for whatever they're worth. First of all, I'm glad it ended with a short run so that they can regroup and try to get it better next time, and let's face it, improvement is about all they can do. I think I read somewhere that they green-lit two seasons off the bat, so if that's true we're going to get a second season whether the show deserves it or not. There were so many lost opportunities in the six episodes, especially wasting a few on the druggie kid's problems and dropping all of the interesting characters besides Strand and the Barber. I've been asking myself why they even introduced the former wife and tangled up the family dynamics, if all they were going to do was kill her as an afterthought. I think as they were filming the last episode it occurred to them that a cast regular had to die, so they improvised and picked her. Also, shouldn't we have seen the scene where she "might" have been bitten, and why not leave that drama as a cliffhanger, as someone else pointed out in another thread? It kind of reminds me how TWD did the former Army medic's bite last season, but at least they had the awesome cannibal scene later to use him so that made up for it.

I'll give them some positive though, they did a little better in the final episode, giving Strand more prominence, and the boat waiting offshore, so thumbs up there. If they capsize it in the first episode of next season and the only survivors are Strand, the Barber, and maybe the Blond lady, it would be a good start. Sadly, the cast is so lame that the only name I know is Strand, and it's because others got his name down in previous posts.

#215 8 years ago

I just thought of another reason it's difficult for us to overlook the problems of Fear the Walking Dead. In the original TWD, there were always a few awesome/high drama scenes each season that knocked it out of the park and often made up for the weaker episodes. Fear the Walking Dead didn't seem to have any that stood out to me. Here are some examples of awesome TWD that stand the test of time, IMHO of course:

Early Seasons - Merle cutting off his hand on the roof. Zane pounding Lori as Rick approaches the camp. The CDC episode in it's entirety. Carol's lost, but now zombified daughter coming out of the barn

Mid Seasons - introduction of Michone and her two pet zombies. Awesome Governor action all around: Glenn handcuffed to a chair with a zombie, the heads in the aquarium, the arena fight, etc. Darryl taking over as the most popular member of the show, scene by scene.

Later Seasons - The army medic waking up as he's being eaten and then turning the tables on the cannibals by showing them his zombie bite. Also, Carol putting Lizzie down, "look at the flowers." The great genius Eugene with the mullet, who supposedly had the answer to save everyone.

In fairness, TWD's second season did suck a lot though, and then there's everything about Carl to boot. However, compare TWD Shane beating the hell out of Carol's husband's sorry butt in the first season, to the main character of Fear the Walking Dead beating up the soldier. Zero believability for comparison, and that's a big part of the problem.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from taz:

I just thought of another reason it's difficult for us to overlook the problems of Fear the Walking Dead. In the original TWD, there were always a few awesome/high drama scenes each season that knocked it out of the park and often made up for the weaker episodes. Fear the Walking Dead didn't seem to have any that stood out to me. Here are some examples of awesome TWD that stand the test of time, IMHO of course:
Early Seasons - Merle cutting off his hand on the roof. Zane pounding Lori as Rick approaches the camp. The CDC episode in it's entirety. Carol's lost, but now zombified daughter coming out of the barn
Mid Seasons - introduction of Michone and her two pet zombies. Awesome Governor action all around: Glenn handcuffed to a chair with a zombie, the heads in the aquarium, the arena fight, etc. Darryl taking over as the most popular member of the show, scene by scene.
Later Seasons - The army medic waking up as he's being eaten and then turning the tables on the cannibals by showing them his zombie bite. Also, Carol putting Lizzie down, "look at the flowers." The great genius Eugene with the mullet, who supposedly had the answer to save everyone.
In fairness, TWD's second season did suck a lot though, and then there's everything about Carl to boot. However, compare TWD Shane beating the hell out of Carol's husband's sorry butt in the first season, to the main character of Fear the Walking Dead beating up the soldier. Zero believability for comparison, and that's a big part of the problem.

You forgot "The Grove"...Awesome episode.

#217 8 years ago

So they are replaying the whole series of TWD right now. I forgot how much smarter walkers were early on. They climb fences and use rocks in an attempt to smash windows....when did they become so stupid where they just sit at a fence to get stabbed in the face? They certainly don't pick up rocks to break car windows when survivors are trapped.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballNewb:

So they are replaying the whole series of TWD right now. I forgot how much smarter walkers were early on. They climb fences and use rocks in an attempt to smash windows....when did they become so stupid where they just sit at a fence to get stabbed in the face? They certainly don't pick up rocks to break car windows when survivors are trapped.

This was a huge "pet peeve" of mine after the CDC episode. Not only the "smart" walkers, but corpses in the huge traffic jam that were not walkers, not executed with head trauma, but normal dead. Like the driver of the pick up that had all the great knives conveniently in his possession. He did not turn. He was just dead.

Regardless of these annoyances, I still love the Walking Dead Universe.

I'll give Fear The Dead another shot for season 2. If only to see what Strand has up his sleeves.

Marcus

#219 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

I hate to get into it, and I hope I don't offend anybody, but this is my take on it.

Most of the time when I see actors/actresses/writers/producers for this show, for instance on "Talking Dead", they always amaze me in that many of them don't seem to get what's appealing about the show. Chris Hardwick does seem to get it, but the others always act like they're trying to tell this deep tale about humanity and what goes on in people's souls or something. They speak as if they think that we like the morality of the show, or the struggle that Michonne is going through in her heart.

The way I've always appreciated the show is that it's kind of campy, the whole premise is ridiculous but it's kind of fun because they get to mindlessly destroy things. What happens when they go into a deserted drug store? What happens if they take over a prison, and there's still people locked up!!!! What happens if they go to the CDC? What happens if they're in a department store in downtown Atlanta??? What if somebody gets handcuffed to the roof???!!!! What if you had a tank!!??? All this stuff was bad-ass and awesome! Couldn't wait to see the next episode.

------------------------------------------------------------------

So when the writers get it in their head to tell a story about the hearts of the characters, they drive it off into the ditch. The comic books from the first show keep it at least somewhat grounded in the original premise.

The only reason we care about Carol's character is because there was so much action and cool shit going on in the original season, that everybody got attached to her and now they really like her. We never would have cared about her if she didn't beat her rapist, asshole husband's head in with a pick axe in that one episode! That is what this show is about!

You can't do a whole season trying to force people to like characters just because they deliver soliloquies and seem like victims.... or at least you can't in a show that's all about blood, guts, and zombies eating your throat.

#220 8 years ago

Found the last episode to be a very decent finale. Clearly above what I saw before. Now waiting for the "real" walking dead...

#221 8 years ago

Good show. Great finale. I'll keep watching. And so will all of you no matter how much you bitch.

#222 8 years ago

Time for the Real thing now .... So excited I am considering buying Twd pin lol

Rick in the teaser really sounds like a bad motherfo now

#223 8 years ago

So that's how you act, write, and direct a TWD.

#224 8 years ago

Good show....loved the black and white time warps - well done!

#225 8 years ago

Yeah... it's like night and day, really made the other show look like crap with such a solid show tonight...

#226 8 years ago

Wow. Just wow. Fear the who now? That season premier last night was off the charts! Fantastic!

#227 8 years ago

Ricks a badass!

#228 8 years ago

yep, great season premier.

#229 8 years ago

Awesome

#230 8 years ago

So well done. From the characters to the filming. The Black and White cuts to the past are a nice touch for building the "how we go to this point".

Story Sync is a bit lame, but nothing to do with the show.

Bravo -

#231 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

corpses in the huge traffic jam that were not walkers, not executed with head trauma, but normal dead.

I didn't imagine at the beginning of TWD you could die and not turn right? At that point you had to be bit. Then somewhere, think leading up to CDC or maybe at the farm.. They realized that's changed and now they are all basically infected and will change for dieing of any cause. Unless they just hadn't seen anyone die of natural causes yet.. If so I got the wrong impression.. Or just imagined it (I binge watched the first two seasons)

Which is why I found the first two episodes of FTWD incongruent.

#232 8 years ago

Could have used more zombies.

j/k Off the charts awesome! Glad Rick and the gang are back.

#233 8 years ago

Thinking I imagined there was a time prior to the pathogen being in every one and zombies. Just spent too much time reading about people describing how the pathogen affects the brain stem and some "problems" with various theories of how it works

#234 8 years ago

Thank God for Greg Nicotero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregory_Nicotero

His makeup and fx experience in Film and TV has made him the perfect Director for this show's budget and schedule.

The best episodes of the series' past few seasons have been Directed by him.

#235 8 years ago

What a great season premier! Im a bit late, but thought the season finale of FTWD was great! It still has its flaws, but im rooting for it to get better. I need FTWD to succeed.....so we have something to watch in between TWD.....to get our zombie fix

#236 8 years ago

For Mr. I Don't Take Risks Anymore, this whole parade concept seems awfully.... risky.

I don't understand why this wasn't time for a molotov cocktail party.

#237 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

For Mr. I Don't Take Risks Anymore, this whole parade concept seems awfully.... risky.
I don't understand why this wasn't time for a molotov cocktail party.

When Carol blew up the propane tank at Terminus all it did was create a bunch of Zombies on fire.

#238 8 years ago

There was a scene where one of the walkers squeezed through the two trucks, and when he did, his skin caught on the metal edge of the trailer, and filleted him... so after he walked through, the front half of his chest had all the skin flapping back and forth. awwwwwwwwesssssommmmmeeeee

#239 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

When Carol blew up the propane tank at Terminus all it did was create a bunch of Zombies on fire.

Then you need more fire. They weren't going to get out, they would just keep burning.

#240 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I didn't imagine at the beginning of TWD you could die and not turn right? At that point you had to be bit. Then somewhere, think leading up to CDC or maybe at the farm.. They realized that's changed and now they are all basically infected and will change for dieing of any cause. Unless they just hadn't seen anyone die of natural causes yet.. If so I got the wrong impression.. Or just imagined it (I binge watched the first two seasons)

There were signs of it early on. The first clue was when they found two zombie security guards that had no bite marks. But at that point no one had died of anything other than a bite. The fact that the virus was in everyone and that being bitten only accelarated death was the secret the CDC guy whispered to Rick at the very end of season 1.

Fear The Walking Dead had the military using the electric cattle hammer to cause brain trauma to keep them down. So they learned about this early.

#241 8 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Then you need more fire. They weren't going to get out, they would just keep burning.

I definitely would have done it, that was my first thought when I saw the hoard, why don't they just light 'em up? They can't walk after awhile if they're incinerated because the fire would destroy all their muscle and ligaments.

We might be thinking too far into this.....

#242 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I definitely would have done it, that was my first thought when I saw the hoard, why don't they just light 'em up? They can't walk after awhile if they're incinerated because the fire would destroy all their muscle and ligaments.

But most of them shouldn't have been able to walk anyway as they fell in off the cliff. I was thinking time to whip up a batch of napalm, but that doesn't make for much of a story. I suspect most of the season will now revolve around defending their sanctuary from these zombies and the Wolves, or being back on the run after getting overrun.

#243 8 years ago

Of course the reason is for future conflict. But I thought they said something to the extent of if they started getting the heard to riled up they would be breaking loose and running wild. If they kept them calm they could be controlled and lead.

Also, that would take a lot of fuel they might not have or need. I forgot how the ones outside Mercy Hospital got burned. The tar on the road was made molten and still they were alive, just stuck to it.

#244 8 years ago

Keep in mind they needed the horde to move away, not be burned or destroyed to lure all other straggler walkers far from Alexandria. It was the noise of the walkers drawing others into the quarry. If a large horde was moving on up the road it would continue to draw those behind that way.

Besides, it would take vast amounts of fuel to even make a dent on that hoarde.

The truck collapsing blew the plan of a smaller controlled hoarde.

#245 8 years ago

Fear the walking dead was utterly terrible. Not one likeable character and not one fully developed character. They kept reacting inconsistently to situations and none of them seemed real or would explain/talk about things in the way a real human would, the whole government plot line kind of fizzled out too. i was expecting some big shocking finale but it was just a whole bunch of "meh". The strand character just doesn't work either and seems like they are trying to hard, he seems like a bad copy of Johnson from peep show but that show is a comedy not a horror/drama! If it wasn't part of the walking dead universe we would have dropped it after the first few episodes it's that bad.

Going to watch twd tonight, hopefully it's better. twd is a show that frustrates me for 3-4 episodes then delivers a great episode to make up for it.

#246 8 years ago

The ratings for Fear the Walking Dead must have been decent, because Chris Hardwick announced on "Talking Dead" this week that they're doing Talking Dead after every episode of Fear the Walking Dead next year.

#247 8 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

Zombie lore has always been split on this. The dawn of the dead remake, for instance, has "you have to get bit to turn" as a rule.

But original Romero says you die you zombie. Don't matter how. So that's what I've always gone with. And so has walking dead.

By the way surprised to see all these complaints about inconsistencies and stuff that doesn't make sense in walking dead premier. I've been hearing all summer how logically perfect the show is compared to fear walking dead!

Great premier

#248 8 years ago
Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

Fear the Walking Dead

Now that they've "escaped" the city and they know about bolting zombies in the head....how is Fear going to be anything other than TWD 2? I'll still watch but seems like it'll be a little redundant...

#249 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Now that they've "escaped" the city and they know about bolting zombies in the head....how is Fear going to be anything other than TWD 2? I'll still watch but seems like it'll be a little redundant...

They're going to be out on the open seas...Pirate zombies!

#250 8 years ago

For me FTWD was not strong enough for me to continue. I baled on it after 2nd episode. I could not get into the characters at all.

Watched the first episode of TWD Season 6 yesterday. I have to say, I was very disappointed. It felt like a filler episode, the flashbacks were all over the place and the CGI looked cheap. I am really hoping they get back on track or this season might go off the rails. Watching Talking Dead was boring as well. Nicataro and Gimble sitting there all smug liked they created some new art form using b&w fashbacks made me laugh. Didn't feel any love for this episode at all. I did love how they nailed Heath though. Looks exactly like the comic. Too many pointless scenes. Hoping it gets much better.

There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.