(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg
There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 49.
#151 8 years ago

Thinking of a French version of FTWD. Specifically:
Real humans got a fighting chance:
- French walkers are inactive half of the time (on sick leave or Holidays) and spend the rest bitching about their fate.
- French walkers only seek gourmet food (fresh meat, no fat)

You can't fight your genes, even after death.

Wonder how the Eiffel tower zombie would look like.

#152 8 years ago

are we ever gonna find out, whose in that house over yonder, flashing the light ?

not that it matters now, im kinda over it..

#153 8 years ago

My wife and I will keep watching and we are both excited to see the finale. Almost as much as we were eager to see the last TWD finale. However, it's for different reasons. Looking forward to FTWD season ending and not having to watch this poorly written and terribly acted show anymore.

#154 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

are we ever gonna find out, whose in that house over yonder, flashing the light ?

They had potential for a good side story or for the mom to run into whoever was in the house, but nope, instead they just killed em off with what appeared to be a rapid light from a machine gun.

I really wish the mom encountered a zombie behind the fence so we can start seeing a transformation from typical working mom into a michone type character who eventually blows off the retarded boyfriend for dead.

Like I wanted to like the dad/boyfriend but he really turned into an asshat. Horrible father who doesn't listen to or pay attention to his son. Is afraid to stand up to his 'all about me' narcissist x-wife, and gives the neighbor really really poor advice. Hope he gets eaten before the end of the season.

Only 2 characters worth keeping is the mom and salvadorian Barber. And who knows, maybe that's what's leading up to the season finale?

#155 8 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO CARE AND HAVE NOT YET SEEN THIS EPISODE

LAST CHANCE

The people in the house outside of the fence were killed by the Military. If you watch the scene again, you see that they flash their light once, but then muzzle flash erupts in the house. For those that do not know, muzzle flash is the light created by a rifle when it is fired.

Here is a link to a website that explains things in the episode.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3555103-5-things-you-might-have-missed-in-fear-the-walking-dead-not-fade-away

Marcus

#156 8 years ago

Considering TWD fans whine relentlessly at the hint of a favorite character dying off, maybe they're intentionally trying to keep these characters less likable? More likely, they are planning to transform them with future challenges, once things get darker.

What was the daughter doing in her room? Tattooing her arm to look like a bite so she gets moved to the hospital to find her boyfriend?? Whatever it is, 'that's dumb, just kill her now' went through my head immediately.

#157 8 years ago

I think that the daughter was trying to have a more permaneant reminder of the design her boyfriend drew on her arm. (A few episodes in, and I still don't know any of their names, and do not really care what they are.)Just what I want to do if there is an infectious, possibly airborn disease or virus going around. Homemade tattoo. Great idea.

#158 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

What was the daughter doing in her room? Tattooing her arm to look like a bite so she gets moved to the hospital to find her boyfriend??

The boyfriend drew something on her arm in the first episode. I figured she was just making it permanent with a tattoo?

#159 8 years ago

We'll the series is hit or miss with me. The episode before last I thought was great. While the one on this previous Sunday completely blew. In some ways I understand why it's kind of slow and that is the epidemic is just starting. However couldn't they have at least shown a scene in this last episode with the Military going through the Demilitarized Zone and mowing down newly infected walkers? Not one freakin' zombie in this entire episode.

A couple of thoughts of mine.
I can't stand the druggy son. I can't wait for him to be bitten off the cast. He is a waste of human life.

In the original TWD we had a few memorable zombies. We had Bicycle Girl, Well Walker and a few others.
I give you the new memorable zombies from Fear the Walking Dead that I have named.

Zombie in the Park (Episode 1) - "Cap'n Crunch Zombie" - with his pirate hat on.
Zombie from outside the barbershop window (Episode 3) - Emperor Palpatine Zombie

fear_the_walking_dead.pngfear_the_walking_dead.png

fear20the20walking20dead20zombie.jpgfear20the20walking20dead20zombie.jpg

#160 8 years ago

I ended up watching it and changed my mind about it. It's not terrible. Sure there isn't much human VS zombie action, but that's OK with me. In my opinion there's only so many minutes you can devote to severing zombie heads. If anything the zombies are somewhat secondary to the apocalypse drama that the humans have to face as society crumbles around them. If you listen to interviews by George Romero, he pretty much says the real horror story is about how humans interact with each other when societal norms break down, and not so much about an endless video game approach to slaughtering undead corpses.

I can't see any of these characters as either personable or likable like the ones from the original show. The blonde mom/teacher and the older barbershop owner are the two that seem to have any remarkable qualities. I'll watch the next two episodes, but I won't cry if this doesn't make it to season 2.

#161 8 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Zombie in the Park (Episode 1) - "Cap'n Crunch Zombie" - with his pirate hat on.

I thought that was Vietcong zombie?

#162 8 years ago
Quoted from Neal_W:

Considering TWD fans whine relentlessly at the hint of a favorite character dying off, maybe they're intentionally trying to keep these characters less likable?

I don't think TWD fans "whine relentlessly" at the hint of a favorite character dying off. In fact, since they know that one of the main/favorite characters can die at any time is one of the things that gives TWD so much drama, as you don't know what's going to happen.

It makes zero sense to make characters less likable just because they are going to kill them off. If you don't like the character, who the hell cares if they die? Make the character interesting or likable, and their death becomes much more impactful.

The biggest indicator that FTWD sucks is the fact that I couldn't possibly care less if any single character from the show dies. Well, maybe I would be just slightly bummed to see the barber die, as I actually think he's the most interesting character so far, but that's not saying much.

Quoted from guyincognito:

I ended up watching it and changed my mind about it. It's not terrible. Sure there isn't much human VS zombie action, but that's OK with me. In my opinion there's only so many minutes you can devote to severing zombie heads. If anything the zombies are somewhat secondary to the apocalypse drama that the humans have to face as society crumbles around them. If you listen to interviews by George Romero, he pretty much says the real horror story is about how humans interact with each other when societal norms break down, and not so much about an endless video game approach to slaughtering undead corpses.

Of course the drama of seeing society crumble around them should be a huge part of the story. The problem is that they are doing a terrible job in demonstrating it! Very cliched representation of the military, for example, and like others have mentioned, the unrealistic lack of any real news or media coverage of what is happening. Also, the 9 week gap from last weeks episode to this weeks resulted in missing a huge amount of seeing the society crumble. It goes from a picture of the military coming in at the end of last weeks episode, to being fully contained within a fence in the next. I just feel like we went from the kid at the protest, seeing police officers shooting zombies, to being in a fenced off neighborhood was rather jarring.

And while we don't need to see a video game approach to mowing down a ton of zombies every week, the complete lack of even a single zombie was kind of stupid in my opinion.

#163 8 years ago

I think you can sum up this week's episode with this line: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help." This show has been more "Fear the mindless government." I'm enjoying it for what it is. It's not "The Walking Dead", we've seen that before. This show is more of society dealing with a pandemic rather than fighting zombies. With two episodes left they are still fleshing out the characters and story line for the next season. We are seeing characters questioning what the military is doing and starting to wise up and see that things are not what they seem on the surface.

I'll watch the remainder of this season and most likely the next. It's showing enough promise to keep me tuned in for now. The Walking Dead is just a few weeks away!

#164 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Only 2 characters worth keeping is the mom and salvadorian Barber. And who knows, maybe that's what's leading up to the season finale?

Quoted from hassellcastle:

A couple of thoughts of mine.
I can't stand the druggy son. I can't wait for him to be bitten off the cast. He is a waste of human life.

Uh oh. I think I just figured out the season finale. Mom gets bitten saving druggie son because they /have/ to kill someone you don't want them to.

#165 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Of course the drama of seeing society crumble around them should be a huge part of the story. The problem is that they are doing a terrible job in demonstrating it!

I totally agree. It probably cost too much money to produce. I want to see the evacuation of cities, the abandonment of power plants, or the government response to the illness. Instead, they give us terrible charterers stuck in a cul-de-sac. The thing is, I think they could of stretched the society crumble into many episodes... and I would watch them all.

#166 8 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I totally agree. It probably cost too much money to produce. I want to see the evacuation of cities, the abandonment of power plants, or the government response to the illness. Instead, they give us terrible charterers stuck in a cul-de-sac. The thing is, I think they could of stretched the society crumble into many episodes... and I would watch them all.

Nailed it!

#167 8 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Now that you mention it, on the original show the part where they went to the center for disease control was one of the best story arcs, prob. cost a ton to film, though...

#168 8 years ago

I actually like the show and am looking forward to the next episode although I think its a safe bet there will not be a FTWD pinball machine.

#169 8 years ago

Wow, lots of criticism. I thought this weeks episode was easily one of the best thus far. Finally was able to dvr and watch without commercials. So much better. Lots of drama and actual pathos in this one. I could care a whit that there weren't any zombies. They're coming, I assure you.

They've set up the next two episodes for being absolutely action packed with plenty of plot. I think they'll deliver. I do agree that some of these "major" characters could die off and the show would improve...and I'm hoping for it. Hopefully the show is planning some big surprises.

#170 8 years ago

And another backslide. We needed to see that black dude 3 episodes ago. Definitely the best character thus far. I don't like the druggies chances now! Episode fell flat for me. At least TWD is waiting in the wings, and the previews look awesome!

#171 8 years ago

It seems to me they must be on a really limited budget with this show. Maybe AMC figures even if it isn't very good, we'll still watch it? At least in my case, this is true so far.

#172 8 years ago

I am looking forward to next week. Because it is the last episode for the season and this crap fest can end. The way these people view the military is really absurd.

This just shows me how much they lucked out with the original. If this writing leaks into the original its over, the magic is gone. The zombies have left the building so shut the lights off.

#173 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

It seems to me they must be on a really limited budget with this show. Maybe AMC figures even if it isn't very good, we'll still watch it? At least in my case, this is true so far.

Yea, reminds me of movie sequels wherethe writing and acting sucks. Kind of a 'cash in' on the original hit.

As for the episode; it's clear now (which I always speculated) that the writers are giving us the perspective of the civilians and how secluded from the truth of what's happening to the world. The doctor mentioned it this episode saying something along the lines of 'you're trying to save 6 people, well I'm trying to save 600,000'. Then, when the military guys invaded a horde of zombies and we only got to see the dads perspective, no one else's. Then the LT died and the military guys are like, peace were out now.

So all in all, even though we know the worst is yet to come, these people of the show are finally starting to realize that it is as bad as they feared especially since the salvadorian dude got all the good info out of the soldier. So put me down as someone who liked this episode. And yea, hoping the black dude has a big role in the show.

#174 8 years ago

Well, the Barber dude, the one character that I liked so far turned out to enjoy torture and picked the one likeable soldier on the show. Dang! Again, more story arc making the military appear evil, unprofessional, and going crazy this soon after the outbreak which is unrealistic. The main character doesn't have half the balls of his wife and can't even take down a zombie. This entire production sucks. If it didn't have the Walking Dead name it would already have been canned.

#175 8 years ago

I actually enjoyed last night.

Well, Kinda. I had to look past the bad acting, and the way the plot line played out, but the premise was right, and this episode or next, may be the best of what we will see.
In failing to establish any empathy for any of the characters, they will now end the season essentially bringing them to the beginning
of TWD. If we dont care about them, its the same show, isnt it?

I had to suspend how they portrayed the military, and replace it with what could have happened, but I think the writing point
was simply to share quiet town ignorant to whats outside. Military at the stage of Collapse, Chaos coming to the characters.

Got it. Now, do I care?

At least this week Z nation had Blasters! A New Zombie created from those that died from Radiation Exposure,
and Z-weed. Herb made from planting in.........

Worth a shot!

#176 8 years ago

I enjoyed the episode, but I needed more. The scene in the "rich house" was wasted time. The posturing of the lead military dude: wasted time. And now that guy is just gone? Whatever.

They could have done so much more to build tension. The torture stuff was meh, they could have edited that way better. I thought we'd get two balls to wall episodes, but they are really unfolding this slowly...too slowly if the the sentiments related here are shared by the broader viewing audience.

I think the producers are simply assuming they have an automatic franchise on their hands and can spin it up anyway they please. I'll admit I'll keep watching, because I think there is enormous potential....but overall it's been pretty bland.

#177 8 years ago

Funny, I have not read anything about FTWD outside of this Pinside thread. If I have time I am going to look outside and see what other fans are saying. But I have the feeling it will be the same, just a lot more of it.

#178 8 years ago

This episode was not bad. The black dude is the only likeable character so far.

The season finale of Ray Donovan was awesome. Definitely blew FTWD away.

#179 8 years ago

FTWD...complete waste of my time. Gave the first five episodes a chance and they stunk. Not going to watch any more.

#180 8 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

The scene in the "rich house" was wasted time.

I agree with a lot of what you said except this comment. Let's dissect what we know:

-The kids know that shit is going down and no one will listen to them so they stop giving a flying F*ck. In this scene; it shows that they know shit is bad, they even said something to the matter of 'its not like theyre ever coming back anyway' then begin to trash it. I think it was a very important scene.

-Now lets look at Dad: Completely ignorant and in denial that anything bad is really happening. There was a moment he thought things were getting bad in the first couple episodes, but the military blinded him and the community of what was going on that he conformed and just figured it'll pass. Thats why he had no reason to go gung ho violent like a lot of us wanted. Then, in this episode he has a gun pointed at a zombie and is told that its no longer human so kill it. And he almost does it...but then see's her name badge and makes it personal. Still, he cannot get a grip of reality, and doesnt believe there's any reason to kill this person 'or thing'. Then, he see's the troops raid a building of zombies and we get his perspective...he's freaked out hearing gun shots, and screams, and the cb radio. He begins to get out of the vehicle in dissaray, then a few soldiers come back and say the LT is dead, WE"RE OUTTA HERE! It was a big eye opening moment for the dad and he's starting to realize it.

-Now Mom (girlfriend); she's a lot more hardcore. And the dad from a few episodes ago would have had no part in the torturing. But when he came back after seeing what he saw, he was 'sorta' ok with them torturing the dude for info.

All in all; we are very critical of the acting and writing but i think that portion is fine 'for the most part'. Its the direction that the director took it coupled with the budget that makes it a little more lackluster. This past episode made me a little excited to finally say, "i cant wait to see what happens next". Where all the other episodes i was thinking "i cant wait til its over".

#181 8 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Again, more story arc making the military appear evil, unprofessional, and going crazy this soon after the outbreak which is unrealistic.

I think you have to assume that the geopolitical world is much different then our own. Maybe the military or government is responsible for creating this whole zombie outbreak. We really don't know.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

-The kids know that shit is going down and no one will listen to them so they stop giving a flying F*ck. In this scene; it shows that they know shit is bad, they even said something to the matter of 'its not like theyre ever coming back anyway' then begin to trash it. I think it was a very important scene.

So "good" kids rather than having respect for the dead become vandals? Screw them, should be shot for looting but it is unfortunate that they will be around. Could have been likeable, now they are trash.

#183 8 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I think you have to assume that the geopolitical world is much different then our own. Maybe the military or government is responsible for creating this whole zombie outbreak. We really don't know.

Yes, they like to push evil military and government. Getting tired of that overused plot line. Maybe its a group of environmentalists thinking they are getting back at some "big bad corporation" that end up causing the biggest issue ever by smashing up some lab.

#184 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

So "good" kids rather than having respect for the dead become vandals? Screw them, should be shot for looting but it is unfortunate that they will be around. Could have been likeable, now they are trash.

Who said they were good? They both come from broken homes; one is the sister of a heroin addict and presumptially had pre marital sex with her HS boyfriend. The other has a mom who chose not to be with him at this time of need and a dad who has absolute no concern in his opinions or best interest. So yea, they're gonna rebel in some way shape or form and the fact that they know no one is coming back to live in that home even makes that scene bigger than made out to be cause pretty soon they're gonna have to give a shit or become a zombie feast.

#185 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I agree with a lot of what you said except this comment. Let's dissect what we know:

I agree with what you are saying in terms of what this scene showed, but I think it was poorly done. To see the daughter completely dressed up, including makeup and her hair done to perfection, trying dresses of a stranger on etc. just didn't make sense to me and seemed weird. The sexual tension between her and her step brother was also strange and out of place. I didn't like the scene at all.

-Now lets look at Dad: Completely ignorant and in denial that anything bad is really happening. There was a moment he thought things were getting bad in the first couple episodes, but the military blinded him and the community of what was going on that he conformed and just figured it'll pass. Thats why he had no reason to go gung ho violent like a lot of us wanted. Then, in this episode he has a gun pointed at a zombie and is told that its no longer human so kill it. And he almost does it...but then see's her name badge and makes it personal. Still, he cannot get a grip of reality, and doesnt believe there's any reason to kill this person 'or thing'. Then, he see's the troops raid a building of zombies and we get his perspective...he's freaked out hearing gun shots, and screams, and the cb radio. He begins to get out of the vehicle in dissaray, then a few soldiers come back and say the LT is dead, WE"RE OUTTA HERE! It was a big eye opening moment for the dad and he's starting to realize it.

I don't think he's beginning to realize much of anything. Which makes it stupid. See below.

Now Mom (girlfriend); she's a lot more hardcore. And the dad from a few episodes ago would have had no part in the torturing. But when he came back after seeing what he saw, he was 'sorta' ok with them torturing the dude for info.
All in all; we are very critical of the acting and writing but i think that portion is fine 'for the most part'. Its the direction that the director took it coupled with the budget that makes it a little more lackluster. This past episode made me a little excited to finally say, "i cant wait to see what happens next". Where all the other episodes i was thinking "i cant wait til its over".

I agree that the mother is much, much tougher than her husband. *She* is the one who, when the barber was breaking down crying, hoping that his daughter would understand and/or forgive him for torturing the army officer, simply asked him "did you get the information that we need?" Stone cold!

By complete contrast, I have to disagree with your statement that her husband was "sort of ok" with them torturing him for info. Not at all. His statement to his wife was something like "please tell me that you had no part in this" or "please tell me that you didn't know about this." I got the impression that he was completely against it, and hasn't come to realize or accept much of anything, despite being smacked in the face with it. My guess is that he is going to be one of the first ones to get killed off. I hope.

The new character (the black guy who "bought" the druggie) is the most interesting character we've seen yet.

Overall, this episode was better than last weeks...but that's not saying much. Overall, the acting really is quite poor in my opinion. All four of the main characters are below average actors. I still wouldn't feel much empathy for any of them, and still couldn't care less if any one of them dies.

#186 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

"did you get the information that we need?" Stone cold!

Best line of the season!

I'm not defending the show; it's got a whole lot of hit or miss, more miss.

Quoted from RobT:

I got the impression that he was completely against it, and hasn't come to realize or accept much of anything, despite being smacked in the face with it. My guess is that he is going to be one of the first ones to get killed off. I hope.

Yea I agree which is why I said 'sort of' cause he wasn't at first but once he found out they got some real solid info from it he seemed a little more ...understanding. And yes, I hope he gets killed off too before this season ends!

Quoted from RobT:

The new character (the black guy who "bought" the druggie) is the most interesting character we've seen yet.

Totally agree!

#187 8 years ago

Appreciate the opinion SKB. I got the scene but agree with Rob... Just didn't enjoy it and think the time coulda been used forwarding other elements. What elements is hard to say, because the overall story is still so big picture after 7 episodes. I'm still all in because I like the potential. I just want more meat! You'd think more of the neighborhood would have come together by now. But it appears as if the last episode is just gonna be some kind of free for all to get to the desert or whatever. But frankly I'll be shocked if anyone even gets out of LA this season.

#188 8 years ago

I liked it a lot better this week, mainly because of the barber and the black guy. I agree the black guy should have showed up weeks ago, they need more characters like that and personally I feel characters like that are more true to what would actually happen if this were legit.

Also I'm wondering if part of the problem isn't just editing? I may have missed it, but I thought I heard the guy running the military patrol basically saying that everything went to hell, and he's just acting like the military is still in control, to give his 'boys' something to do and keep their spirits up.

If they would have made that more clear, earlier, again it would have been much more interesting. If this is just some rogue (although very large) group of army guys, and the commander is just giving them busy work to make them all think everything's fine (and the government still has a plan) then that makes for a much more interesting story.

The way it was presented from the beginning, it seemed like it was your typical 'evil government' plot.

#189 8 years ago

Buried yet another FTWD in an AMC survey.

No connection with entire cast.

No heavy scenes of society crumbling.

Military not giving a rats ass. Yeah. Sure.

Characters just gone with no death scenes.

And where the Fuck are the Walkers??? ( Kimberly waitress was ok though.)

And AMC is really pushing this crapfest with this web series:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/fear-the-walking-dead-flight-462-premiere-date/

Pre-pre apocalyptic? Cmon man.

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

The biggest indicator that FTWD sucks is the fact that I couldn't possibly care less if any single character from the show dies. Well, maybe I would be just slightly bummed to see the barber die, as I actually think he's the most interesting character so far, but that's not saying much.

I totally agree. And the Mr Blonde from Reservoir Dogs scene from the barber was just stupid and spoiled that character for me too.
The black guy in the cage is definitely the only interesting character, except that he bothered to save the stupid son. I was hoping he would do a Jamie Lannister and kill the kid and use the distraction to escape!

The son should be killed on principle just for not changing his clothes the entire series so far, the filthy pig. It's driving me nucking futs.

But seriously, 5 episodes and not one real likable quality in any of the characters as far as I'm concerned. I mean, sure, TWD has some annoying characters I'd like to see die, (Glen and Maggie for example), but a lot of the other characters are really interesting, like Michon, Daryl, even The Governor was a cool character that made you want to see what he would do next. FTWD - they could kill the entire cast and start again and it wouldn't bother me.

#191 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

And yea, hoping the black dude has a big role in the show.

We needed to see that black dude 3 episodes ago

Quoted from John_I:

The black dude is the only likeable character so far.

Quoted from RobT:

Quoted from LyonsRonnie1:

I liked it a lot better this week, mainly because of the barber and the black guy.

He has a name, it's Victor Strand

#192 8 years ago

Another thing that struck me as I read the last few posts. This family (recently a split/merge of two families) is being portrayed as having no local family, zero friends, and only really knew one of their neighbors. That's kind of bizarre and further shows how boring these folks are. Long before the military arrived, me and my friends and most people I know would have already circled our wagons.

Quoted from lpeters82:

Yeah, I can understand this and much like the original series, they live in a world where I suppose there's never been zombie movies, so they don't really have a frame of reference for the phenomenon, hence "walkers," "biters," etc. So, we do have to accept that the world is different than our own, but everything else seems like normal, except for the military conduct. I retired after 23 years in the military so maybe I'm more sensitive to the portrayal of our military than others. I've never seen such unprofessionalism by an entire unit, even in 115 degree temperatures halfway through a tour in Iraq. An individual acting like one of these guys I could get, but an entire unit, just seems too far of a stretch and too convenient for the show. It's the same lazy rogue military film formula, like so many other movies like: The Stand, 28 Days Later, etc. That's not what a member of the Walking Dead family of shows should have to rely on. I also have trouble picturing any government organization, especially the military, abandoning an arena with thousands of walkers which could eventually get out or be set free without any security or without taking care of them permanently. They seemed almost too quick to deal with sick people, civilians out of line, etc., so lack of action didn't seem to be one of their problems.

#193 8 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

He has a name, it's Victor Strand

Hah! I don't think any of us know anyone's names! ...except you
But that's how unrelatable these characters are and how little Impact they've made to Us viewers.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

But that's how unrelatable these characters are and how little Impact they've made to Us viewers.

I had to look it up because I had no idea as well. I just thought it was funny because everyone was referring to him as the black dude. Him and the barber are the only characters I look forward too and wouldn't bet upset at all if they killed off everyone else.

#195 8 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

everyone was referring to him as the black dude

I would call him 'The Closer', which is how he introduces himself in this episode, which seems to in reality be 'The User'. For some reason he mentally tortures the other cellmate to the point of breakdown, just to make more room or just because he could.

I expect we will get a flashback episode to learn why he is in medical detention with no health issues, and maybe see some backstory about the breakdown of society then.

Quoted from underlord:

Buried yet another FTWD in an AMC survey.

Que?

Quoted from taz:

Again, more story arc making the military appear evil, unprofessional, and going crazy this soon after the outbreak which is unrealistic.

The military pulling out and 'humanely killing the detained' AKA - Cobalt, is not necessarily an evil plot. Maybe they are being recalled to hold more strategic key basses for the survival of man, which would seem evil if you were being left behind in the LA burbs. As far as we know from TWD, the army is ultimately defeated. They tried to show the soldiers were outmatched in this episode, but didn't drive the point home.

Quoted from taz:

I also have trouble picturing any government organization, especially the military, abandoning an arena with thousands of walkers which could eventually get out or be set free without any security or without taking care of them permanently.

I think that was just a plot device to prove the tortured soldier was not lying, and to paint an horrific image of what happens when the infection spreads in an evacuation shelter the size of an arena. A hopeless situation requiring the unthinkable, and an example of the impossible task of stopping the spread.

#196 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Omg you are freaking right! I just realized that off the top of my head I hardly know any of these characters names! Nick and Ophelia and that's it. And they are the two that could die first and no one would even miss them.

I'm sticking with 'the black dude' even when he gets a name. More bad ass way

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Yeah, I can understand this and much like the original series, they live in a world where I suppose there's never been zombie movies, so they don't really have a frame of reference for the phenomenon, hence "walkers," "biters," etc. So, we do have to accept that the world is different than our own, but everything else seems like normal, except for the military conduct. I retired after 23 years in the military so maybe I'm more sensitive to the portrayal of our military than others. I've never seen such unprofessionalism by an entire unit, even in 115 degree temperatures halfway through a tour in Iraq. An individual acting like one of these guys I could get, but an entire unit, just seems too far of a stretch and too convenient for the show. It's the same lazy rogue military film formula, like so many other movies like: The Stand, 28 Days Later, etc. That's not what a member of the Walking Dead family of shows should have to rely on. I also have trouble picturing any government organization, especially the military, abandoning an arena with thousands of walkers which could eventually get out or be set free without any security or without taking care of them permanently. They seemed almost too quick to deal with sick people, civilians out of line, etc., so lack of action didn't seem to be one of their problems.

I agree. I don't like the direction they are taking things, but I think it's a faulty argument to say, "there is no way that would ever happen". Really the only thing I've liked about the show was this picture...

// Error: Image 457595 not found //

#198 8 years ago

This. Episode. Had. One. Fucking. Zombie.

And the zombie had a name.

#199 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

And the zombie had a name.

O

#200 8 years ago

Omg you are freaking right! I just realized that off the top of my head I hardly know any of these characters names! Nick and Ophelia and that's it. And they are the two that could die first and no one would even miss them.
I'm sticking with 'the black dude' even when he gets a name. More bad ass way

On Walking Dead shows it really doesn't pay to learn the black guys' names as they won't be around long.

I still like the show and I'll keep watching.

I think a lot of the problem for people is they have somehow conned themselves into thinking the original walking dead is a good show with smart dialogue, well developed characters with motivations that make sense, and a smart logic to it.

It isn't. It's just like this show. But we like the zombies and the situations.

This show will be around for a while, it's still getting good ratings. It does have a bit of a bargain basement feel to it but again Walking Dead does sometimes as well. Didn't they slash the budget of TWD years ago to pay for the salaries of the Mad Men folks?

There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.