(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg
There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 49.
#1101 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've read the comics and I honestly I don't think there have been any "spoilers". Maybe I missed some. When I've discussed the comic in the past, I try to do it in a code. I'll say something like, "I think it's looking like Daryl will be taking on the upcoming Carol plot." To a comic reader that would have meant something. To a non-comic reader that means nothing. Do comments like that seem fair?

Go back 8 months and see the posts the moderators did remove back then.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight/page/12#post-3065284

Then time slips by and the same players come it and do the same thing because the "comic friendly" thread is dead and they come back here to ruin it.

#1102 7 years ago

After that last episode I'm done with this show, TWD is now officially dead to me.

#1103 7 years ago
Quoted from Dewey68:

This was the worst episode of the last couple of seasons, IMO. Writing was "meh", acting was wooden.
I find myself watching the show because I have invested so much time into the series rather than being excited that it's on. Frankly I'd like to see it come to an end sooner rather than later, but I'm sure that as long as the graphic novels are being written and AMC is making money, it will continue on until the ratings drop and they finally cancel it.

im not liking each episode concentrating on one character. i know it will all tie in, and thats good. but it just loses momentum for me and has become disjointed.
previous seasons, we saw the whole group together, or most.... in every episode dealing with the new world.
Certain scenes, yes were very well done, but that doesnt save it...

Lets get back to the previous writers.. such as Gimple, Kang, Hoffman and Co.

#1104 7 years ago
Quoted from ledge:

im not liking each episode concentrating on one character. i know it will all tie in, and thats good. but it just loses momentum for me and has become disjointed.
previous seasons, we saw the whole group together, or most.... in every episode dealing with the new world.
Certain scenes, yes were very well done, but that doesnt save it...
Lets get back to the previous writers.. such as Gimple, Kang, Hoffman and Co.

Last few seasons it seems like they focus on one character at a time per episode, seems like a good way to to waste time (filler) till something big happens.

#1105 7 years ago

I agree that the last episode was a snoozer, but I've still enjoyed more of this season than I haven't.

I hadn't read a single issue of the comic up until a couple of weeks ago, but once I started, I couldn't stop. I'm now 100% caught up, and anxiously awaiting this month's issue.

No spoilers here, but I will say that now that I've read it (and it's excellent), I have a greater appreciation for he show. If they go with the story that's currently happening in the comic, we're in for some fun.

#1106 7 years ago

Based on what we've seen this season, TWD is no better than FTWD.

I thought last season (6) was a very good one for TWD.

#1107 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I've read the comics and I honestly I don't think there have been any "spoilers". Maybe I missed some. When I've discussed the comic in the past, I try to do it in a code. I'll say something like, "I think it's looking like Daryl will be taking on the upcoming Carol plot." To a comic reader that would have meant something. To a non-comic reader that means nothing. Do comments like that seem fair?

Why not go start a comic book thread and talk about it there? No risk of pissing people off here, and you'll be able to freely talk about it with other fans of the comic.

#1108 7 years ago

Negan was on Howard Stern the other day. I wish he would interview Norman Reedus instead since he is a fan of the show.

#1109 7 years ago

Why are we having *any* discussion about the comics in this thread?

It's ridiculous to be having a debate about whether certain discussions about the comics constitute a "spoiler" since the solution is so easy: no discussion about the comics should be allowed in this thread whatsoever. Period. The word "comic" should be banned from the thread.

There is another thread, mentioned above, where people can go if they want to discuss the comics.

I already know of a couple of people who have had to drain this thread because of the boobs who keep talking about the comics.

#1110 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Why not go start a comic book thread and talk about it there? No risk of pissing people off here, and you'll be able to freely talk about it with other fans of the comic.

thewalkingdead website has a comic section with comments/forum

#1111 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Why are we having *any* discussion about the comics in this thread?
It's ridiculous to be having a debate about whether certain discussions about the comics constitute a "spoiler" since the solution is so easy: no discussion about the comics should be allowed in this thread whatsoever. Period. The word "comic" should be banned from the thread.
There is another thread, mentioned above, where people can go if they want to discuss the comics.
I already know of a couple of people who have had to drain this thread because of the boobs who keep talking about the comics.

So I take it there should be no mention of other zombie movies or homages? If so, it seems a bit ridiculous.

#1112 7 years ago

I think it's comical people are getting so upset.

#1113 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

So I take it there should be no mention of other zombie movies or homages? If so, it seems a bit ridiculous.

Just like your post.

#1114 7 years ago

Here's where i stand with it so far. For the most part, yea, i agree this season has been pretty weak especially compared to last season. But if we take a step back and look at the big picture lets see whats going on. This season they are introducing a wide variety of characters and communities so in that respect, they are forced to go through these snooze fest like episodes to build characters and story lines. I for one am intrigued with this new female community - they too went up against Negan and felt their wrath tremendously. But, unlike hillside and the tiger dude place, they said F you and bailed to a remote location. The possibilities of what can happen to them if these Negan folks find their location and/or find out Tara (and even Rick) are holding out info.

All in all, they are building up a story line that involves a lot of characters and a lot of societies as well psychological mindsets. TWD is no longer about a handful of people trying to survive, but a handful of communities trying to survive.

Some of the acting and writing is drawn out; but i think the 2nd half of this season is really going to take the plot on a fun roller coaster.

#1115 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

All in all, they are building up a story line that involves a lot of characters and a lot of societies as well psychological mindsets. TWD is no longer about a handful of people trying to survive, but a handful of communities trying to survive.

Which is fine, but the problem is that all of these set-up/building up a story episodes have been boring and unmemorable. The coming big payoff at the end isn't going to do much to remedy the boring ride we had to endure to get there.

I am currently watching the last season of GOT on blu-ray. Very similar story structure there (lots of different groups), but the story telling is so much better in GOT it isn't funny. Plenty of episodes in GOT so far have not had a lot of action or big surprises either, other than the premiere episode, just like TWD. Better writing and acting can go a long way.

As someone else mentioned earlier, TWD needs to get back to using the writers that made the show what it was.

#1116 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Which is fine, but the problem is that all of these set-up/building up a story episodes have been boring and unmemorable. The coming big payoff at the end isn't going to do much to remedy the boring ride we had to endure to get there.
I am currently watching the last season of GOT on blu-ray. Very similar story structure there (lots of different groups), but the story telling is so much better in GOT it isn't funny. Plenty of episodes in GOT so far have not had a lot of action or big surprises either, other than the premiere episode, just like TWD. Better writing and acting can go a long way.
As someone else mentioned earlier, TWD needs to get back to using the writers that made the show what it was.

Dude I can't disagree with that! GOT is my favorite show. So much, I am rewatching all the seasons/episodes now (slowly). It is so good. And holy crap it's so much better the second time through knowing all the main characters and story lines - it's easier to follow the side stories and back stories more.

Last season was TWDs peek. I don't get too much time to watch adult shows, so It's becoming a filler for the most part and it is losing its lust. Especially next to writing/acting such as GOT and Westworld.

#1117 7 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Dude I can't disagree with that! GOT is my favorite show. So much, I am rewatching all the seasons/episodes now (slowly). It is so good. And holy crap it's so much better the second time through knowing all the main characters and story lines - it's easier to follow the side stories and back stories more.
Last season was TWDs peek. I don't get too much time to watch adult shows, so It's becoming a filler for the most part and it is losing its lust. Especially next to writing/acting such as GOT and Westworld.

I've got to start watching Westworld. Will have to wait until it streams or is released on blu-ray though.

#1118 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've got to start watching Westworld. Will have to wait until it streams or is released on blu-ray though.

That's the only way to do it.

I was a late starter for TWD and GOT so I was able to sit down and smash through the box sets on BluRay which I can get from the public library for $5 a week. We would sit down and watch 2-3 episodes a night.

Watching the new TWD series "in real time" on TV is torturous. We have it shown here same day as the US on free to air tv. The ads are killing me. And how do you wait a week between episodes? You forget what the hell is going on!

No way I could watch GOT like that .. there are so many plot lines and characters you'd just forget what the hell was happening and it'd be a big jumble. "Who's that dude again?"

rd

#1119 7 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That's the only way to do it.
I was a late starter for TWD and GOT so I was able to sit down and smash through the box sets on BluRay which I can get from the public library for $5 a week. We would sit down and watch 2-3 episodes a night.
Watching the new TWD series "in real time" on TV is torturous. We have it shown here same day as the US on free to air tv. The ads are killing me. And how do you wait a week between episodes? You forget what the hell is going on!
No way I could watch GOT like that .. there are so many plot lines and characters you'd just forget what the hell was happening and it'd be a big jumble. "Who's that dude again?"
rd

Couldn't agree more RD!

In fact, even with me doing GOT on Blu-ray, I find myself forgetting what happened during the previous season because I had to wait so long between seasons being released.

It was *much* better when I first got hooked on both TWD and GOT as they were both already several seasons along, so I could watch an episode every other night or so, or even more, if I wanted.

Now that I am caught up, I obviously can't do that anymore.

Same thing for me on Breaking Bad. I didn't start watching that show until it was already in it's 4th season. Being able to watch it regularly was a huge bonus.

But out of all of them, GOT is the one that is hardest to spread out because like you said, it is very easy to forget all that has happened with each of the characters (and "houses") between seasons. The story line is so deep and nuanced, it needs to be watched regularly without big gaps.

#1120 7 years ago

Is this okay?

Ezekiel (resized).jpgEzekiel (resized).jpg

#1121 7 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

I'd prefer not to have the discussion in a comic book thread because it's a discussion about the TV show. Discussing previous episodes is pretty easy for everyone, however when talking about future predictions I make sure mine are spoiler free, because I do have knowledge of what might happen. Here is another real example, "I think the mid-season break will be the cliffhanger at the end of issue 106". If you read the comics, that might have meaning (or you might have to go to a wiki page for a refresher); but either way it allows us to discuss future events of the show without spoiling things for anyone else. I'd prefer to be able to continue to discuss the TV show in one place without having to have two completely different conversations with half of the fans in each group.

#1122 7 years ago

If you have to speak in code, why not just speak freely in a comic discussion thread?

#1123 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

If you have to speak in code, why not just speak freely in a comic discussion thread?

Quoted from lpeters82:

I'd prefer to be able to continue to discuss the TV show in one place without having to have two completely different conversations with half of the fans in each group.

75% of what comic readers want to discuss about the TV show is relevant to both groups. It's that 25% where we just have be respectful of non-comic readers and make sure we're not spoiling anything.

#1124 7 years ago

Moderator's comment:

The title of this thread should be clear: No comic book spoilers.

If you want to discuss what happens in the comics, discuss that in another thread. If you have to contribute a "coded message" to get around "no comic book spoilers", it doesn't belong here because it is a spoiler.

Please be respectful of the others in this thread who would prefer not to read comic book spoilers.

#1125 7 years ago

I hope there's something to talk about after tonight's episode.

#1126 7 years ago

From the previews, it looks like in next week's episode they are giving Negan his comic book look, by making him clean shaven like his source character. Supposedly Jeffrey Dean Morgan had to keep his beard initially due to his obligations for his role in the Good Wife.

#1127 7 years ago

Good episode tonight. 2nd-best of the season IMO.

#1128 7 years ago

Overall good show. But once again one of these idiots has Negan's baseball bat in his hand, is standing behind him and does not take the shot. Coral was on top of him walking down the stairs to the "Iron" scene. The kid just went in throwing his life away to get the guy but ends up singing him a song and holding Lucile? BS.

Negan just has hurt too many of his own people to not get wacked by now.

#1129 7 years ago

Yea he treats everyone like shit, I don't think there is one person that likes him, can't see anyone that looks like they respect him they all look scared. I am sorry but he just doesn't as a character scare me, his arms are so skinny they should have at least put some fake muscles in his fonzie jacket, I dont know who hired him for that character but I think Ron Perlman would have been a better fit. Of course Coral could have killed him but he didn't he got talked by iron man instead, why that guy didn't let him shoot him and go about his day is beyond me, the wrighting just sucks, at least they could have tackled him before he aimed at Negan, than it would have been more believable. Oh well I guess pretty soon I will have only Game of Thrones to look forward too cause this show is going down really fast.

#1130 7 years ago

Why does everyone keep spelling Carl as Coral?

#1131 7 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Why does everyone keep spelling Carl as Coral?

Because Rick is played by a London actor that can't seem to pronounce it right putting on a Southern accent. We think it is funny.

Also he was one of the most hated group members for a few seasons so you want to pick on him.

Coral.gifCoral.gif

#1132 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Overall good show. But once again one of these idiots has Negan's baseball bat in his hand, is standing behind him and does not take the shot. Coral was on top of him walking down the stairs to the "Iron" scene. The kid just went in throwing his life away to get the guy but ends up singing him a song and holding Lucile? BS.
Negan just has hurt too many of his own people to not get wacked by now.

I kept thinking to myself "ok, this episode seems quite a bit better than what we've been seeing, I just have to put the stupid scene of Coral having a super easy shot to kill Negan with Lucille out of my mind."

Sadly, I couldn't. That stupid scene is what I remember most from the (1 1/2 hour long) episode.

Ugh.

#1133 7 years ago

I thought he had plenty of time with the assault rifle in the back of the truck.

I wouldnt know if Negan would have had a chance to raise his Arm, and block the Barbed wire on the leather Jacket....

Loved it though.....Then tuned in Westworld!

#1134 7 years ago

Corral!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1135 7 years ago

a simple sweeping motion would've mowed them all down

Make it somewhat believable/logical writers!!

#1136 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

a simple sweeping motion would've mowed them all down
Make it somewhat believable/logical writers!!

I never started watching this season since I had enough of the manufactured soap opera drama and stupid decisions characters always seemed to make. And Z Nation more or less filled the hole left by TWD, even though it's a bit campy.

None of the comments about this season so far has made me want to pick up TWD again yet.

I see I'm not alone in this since the ratings are spiraling downward.

I wonder if AMC would go back to Frank Darabont and ask him to save it.

#1137 7 years ago

I really enjoyed the short scene with Spencer and Gabriel. He doesn't seem to get much screen time, but I'm really enjoying the transformation of Gabriel.

#1138 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

And Z Nation more or less filled the hole left by TWD, even though it's a bit campy.

A "bit" campy?

Please. Z Nation is so over the top campy that I had to force myself to watch 5 episodes in order to "give it a chance" and frankly I regret watching that many episodes. Ugh.

Quoted from ForceFlow:

None of the comments about this season so far has made me want to pick up TWD again yet.

Did you watch last season? It was the best season in years. If you did watch last season and didn't like it and gave up on it, I don't see how you would ever be interested in watching it again. If you missed last season and you liked TWD previously, you really missed out IMO.

I see I'm not alone in this since the ratings are spiraling downward.

This season has been a disappointment so far, especially compared to last season.

I wonder if AMC would go back to Frank Darabont and ask him to save it.

Highly unlikely. That relationship ended on a really bad note. One reason is Darabont wanted more money for production, and AMC wouldn't give it to him. With ratings going down, it's unlikely that AMC would start spending more money on the show. Too bad, because the show has never really had quite the same feel to it once Darabont was gone (which was early on).

#1139 7 years ago

Campy is what makes it fun....not for everyone, but at least there are changes in society and zombies.

With no disrespect intended for the Christmas Holiday, but in the spirit of "How Campy can you get?"

Heres the Nativity Scene from Z Nation, note the 3 Wise Zombies, and.....

Or A Zombie getting Stoned!

#1140 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Did you watch last season? It was the best season in years.

Yes. Aside from a few interesting moments, I didn't think it was that great.

Believe me, I want to like it....I really do. The series started off with a bang. I just can't stand the daytime soap opera nonsense that gets shoehorned into the show. That gets more screen time than the zombies do.

Quoted from RobT:

This season has been a disappointment so far

...which is why I haven't bothered with it

Quoted from RobT:

Please. Z Nation is so over the top campy that I had to force myself to watch 5 episodes in order to "give it a chance" and frankly I regret watching that many episodes. Ugh.

It's a little silly at times...maybe in a similar vein as the evil dead movies and tv series.

But the soap opera stuff is kept to a minimum, and it's mainly about survival and the interesting predicaments the survivors find themselves in, how they get out and survive them, and all the while following their mission to help save humanity.

#1141 7 years ago

Has anyone played the new Resident Evil 7 Demo on the Playstation VR. It's one of the creepiest experiences I've had. It's amazing what we're going to be able to do with zombies in entertainment in the near future. The experience is so immersive, and that thing in the basement! So much dread!!!

#1142 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes. Aside from a few interesting moments, I didn't think it was that great.
Believe me, I want to like it....I really do. The series started off with a bang. I just can't stand the daytime soap opera nonsense that gets shoehorned into the show. That gets more screen time than the zombies do.

I honestly don't think it's the show for you. I think that you are correct. The Walking Dead is mostly a human drama set in a zombie apocalypse. In a way, the zombies are secondary. It's about how the different individuals and groups have learned to survive and adapt in this new world. That was one of the reasons that I didn't think it would make a great pinball theme. I was personally hoping for more of a campy theme like Zombieland.

#1143 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I honestly don't think it's the show for you. I think that you are correct. The Walking Dead is mostly a human drama set in a zombie apocalypse. In a way, the zombies are secondary. It's about how the different individuals and groups have learned to survive and adapt in this new world. That was one of the reasons that I didn't think it would make a great pinball theme. I was personally hoping for more of a campy theme like Zombieland.

Zombieland could translate to a pin in many ways. You could set it up as the amusement park with many toys like the drop ride and clowns. The rules could be the "Rules" for many modes like double tapping ramp shots and cardio loops. Collecting the lit Twinkies shaped inserts.

#1144 7 years ago

I cant stand when shows do crap like the back of the truck scene when Carl is holding the gun on them. If he's there to kill Negan, and Negan walks in front of you when you're holding a loaded gun, kill Negan. It's so easy to write that kind of scene better. He runs out of ammo while Negan hides out of view, then they grab him. Was that so hard?

#1145 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

You say that like that's something new to the show. It's not. The show has never been just about the zombies. The term "walking dead" doesn't even refer to the zombies. The show is about how humanity acts when faced with the (zombie) apocalypse. If the human interaction is what you define as "soap opera nonsense" I have a hard time understanding how you *ever* liked the show.

#1146 7 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

You say that like that's something new to the show. It's not.

It wasn't always the main focus.

Quoted from RobT:

If the human interaction is what you define as "soap opera nonsense" I have a hard time understanding how you *ever* liked the show.

There's a big difference between character development and soap opera drama. Good character development can drive a show--westworld, game of thrones, breaking bad, deadwood, etc. Bad character development turns into a soap opera.

#1147 7 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Zombieland could translate to a pin in many ways. You could set it up as the amusement park with many toys like the drop ride and clowns. The rules could be the "Rules" for many modes like double tapping ramp shots and cardio loops. Collecting the lit Twinkies shaped inserts.

...Kill of the Week, Woodie Harrelson, Bill Murray, Emma Stone, etc.

#1148 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

It wasn't always the main focus.

I disagree.

Right from the pilot episode they had created the story line where Shane and Lori thought that Rick was dead, resulting in the two of them getting together (I think the second episode is the one where they were having sex in the woods) despite the fact that Shane was Rick's partner and friend. These kind of "soap opera" plot lines have played a big role right from the start.

#1149 7 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

One way to find out!!!
They've hinted at the weakness of the individual cult members with that sandwich making ironed face Dwight already...foreshadowing...seems obvious that will eventually be the way Negan and his crew fall.

nailed it...Dwight and/or his "ex" wife obviously left that note for Darryl since Darryl's bike was ready to roll w/the keys.

Also:

Quoted from Wickerman2:Also, if they made a move Darryl would open a can of wuppass and that dude Jesus would pop out of the bushes...game over man. Game over.

Nostradamus...who needs the comic book?

#1150 7 years ago

At least most are on the same page now and are ready to plan an attack, maybe they can still salvage this season before they loose all there viewers.

There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.