(Topic ID: 136745)

The Walking Dead , Fear TWD, NO Comic Book Spoilers! Show Discussion......

By OLDPINGUY

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 2,412 posts
  • 173 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by miracleman
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

corey-hawkins-as-heath-the-walking-dead (resized).jpg
wall falls 2 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
giphy.gif
TVSHOWS (resized).png
CD0ACFA4-F349-43D7-9B87-291D2CCCBF10 (resized).jpeg
DTS19NHX0AAC6Ii (resized).png
vlcsnap-2018-10-08-00h10m09s275 (resized).png
IMG_3933 (resized).jpeg
54E1E698-185E-46FC-ABF4-97939B92A8E7 (resized).jpeg
the-walking-dead-s9-poster (resized).jpg
901782DC-EAD0-4BB1-A655-281B315D1F98 (resized).jpeg
remote (resized).jpg
Kim-Dickens-as-Joanie-Stubbs-in-Deadwood-Season-2 (resized).jpg
There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 49.
#601 8 years ago

I think that it's quite amusing that the, so called "spoilers" that are being reported... (which is a fucking joke in itself).. only prove the fact that you cannot look to the graphic novel to predict what the AMC show is going to do..

#602 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

<temporary edit by moderator - comic book spoiler removed>

Thank you

Quoted from pmWolf:

I need a consensus on how you want to handle comic book spoilers.
- Nobody cares, and it is allowed?
- Not allowed, but just have the post edited?
- Not allowed, post should be edited and user ejected. (24 hours for first offense, 5 days for second, permanent thread eject for third)

Not allowed - just edit I would say

Quoted from jonesjb:

The ironic thing is I mentioned the contents of my edited post with good intentions to assuage Purpledrilmonkey that my earlier response wasn't a TV spoiler from the comic (due to different plot progressions in the comic).

I appreciate your efforts but I don't need my concerns addressed in any way by the comic
If I was wanting that I'd have started reading it years ago, but I'm content to wait and see how the show goes. I just like BS'ing about stuff I'm interested in, the good and the bad.

I still say Morgan is crap

#603 8 years ago

The comic has been out for over 10 years, if you haven't read it yet, it's well past the time period of being a spoiler. Part of the discussion about the TV show should be about discussing the source material. There is a lot of interesting conversation to be had by drawing comparisons to the comic. If I mention that Bruce Willis is a ghost at the end of sixth sense, now 15 years after the movie was released, is that really still a spoiler? I don't think so.

To people concerned about the comic spoilers, are you planning on reading the comic at some point?

#604 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

I think that it's quite amusing that the, so called "spoilers" that are being reported... (which is a fucking joke in itself).. only prove the fact that you cannot look to the graphic novel to predict what the AMC show is going to do..

Still, even pointing out the differences with the source material can indicate (or indicate a source material departure of) the next steps in the plot.

For instance I found out that GoT has skipped over a key character in the show that was in the book - now the consensus is that exact character isn't coming to the show, but for me a comparable substitute character showing up in the same context has significantly less 'wow' factor just by knowing what the 'universe' of GoT might hold. I'd rather not have known about the book plot at all in this instance.

#605 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Part of the discussion about the TV show should be about discussing the source material

Disagree 100% in the context of a 'show' discussion.

#606 8 years ago
Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Still, even pointing out the differences with the source material can indicate (or indicate a source material departure of) the next steps in the plot.
For instance I found out that GoT has skipped over a key character in the show that was in the book - now the consensus is that exact character isn't coming to the show, but for me a comparable substitute character showing up in the same context has significantly less 'wow' factor just by knowing what the 'universe' of GoT might hold. I'd rather not have known about the book plot at all in this instance.

That's a good point, so the concern about the spoilers is not that it's ruining the comic for would be readers, but potentially spoiling the TV show. I thought that discussing past things in the comic would be okay, but it seems that others may not agree. All good.

To any not reading the comic, I do recommend it. Even better than the show.

#607 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

If I mention that Bruce Willis is a ghost at the end of sixth sense, now 15 years after the movie was released, is that really still a spoiler? I don't think so.

No, but a comparison to a movie that made 700 million dollars doesn't seem really accurate. In other words, you'd have to have lived under a rock not to have heard the end of that movie by now, whereas less than 1% of the population has read the comic--total guess, probably 1/10 of 1%.

#608 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The comic has been out for over 10 years, if you haven't read it yet, it's well past the time period of being a spoiler. Part of the discussion about the TV show should be about discussing the source material. There is a lot of interesting conversation to be had by drawing comparisons to the comic. If I mention that Bruce Willis is a ghost at the end of sixth sense, now 15 years after the movie was released, is that really still a spoiler? I don't think so.
To people concerned about the comic spoilers, are you planning on reading the comic at some point?

No, I don't plan on reading the comic. I don't plan on going to the comic book store to catch up on 10 years worth of a comic. I do plan on watching the show. So I started reading this thread with "show discussion" in the title. If you start a thread called All things Walking Dead or Walking Dead show vs Comic, I will avoid reading.

I read your comment before it was edited and was bummed that I had. I am not the one who reported it as abuse or anything because I know sometimes this stuff comes with the territory. But I guess someone did. And now that the moderator brought it up for a discussion I am making my opinion known. I don't want to hear anything about the comic. Sorry if your opinion is that I should go read the comic to ruin the show for myself, I'll pass. Editing did not work since I had already read it, so I guess punitive action are what it takes for people to have courtesy to other's requests then so be it.

#609 8 years ago

I watch the show. I love the show.

I do not read the comic. I do not plan on reading the comic anytime soon.

I understand that the show does not exactly follow the comics, but it sounds like it does follow it to some extent and therefore talking about what has happened in the comics has a decent chance of spoiling the show.

I would appreciate it if there were no comic spoilers posted into this thread.

Would be great if the topic of this thread could be altered to include "No Comic Discussion". Like someone else mentioned, you want to talk about the comic? Go start a thread with that in the title.

#610 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

No, but a comparison to a movie that made 700 million dollars doesn't seem really accurate. In other words, you'd have to have lived under a rock not to have heard the end of that movie by now, whereas less than 1% of the population has read the comic--total guess, probably 1/10 of 1%.

Come'on EVERYONE and their dog knows Morgan's storyline from the Walking Dead comic!

#611 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Come'on EVERYONE and their dog knows Morgan's storyline from the Walking Dead comic!

Not me. I have no clue. Please do not discuss the comic. Thanks!

#612 8 years ago
Quoted from ChadH:

Not me. I have no clue. Please do not discuss the comic. Thanks!

It was a joke.

#613 8 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, I see where you are coming from and respect your opinions. It makes sense and I agree. Sorry if I've spoiled anything from the show, it wasn't my intention, I was thinking since comic and TV veered off of different paths it would add to the discussion without spoiling.

I'll leave any potential comics spoilers out moving forward.

#614 8 years ago

I don't really care much either way, but it's worth mentioning that there are a small number of very well publicized "spoilers" about the comics that have been all over the tv and internet for awhile now. They've even been discussed repeatedly on the Talking Dead after show. I've never read the comics (beyond the first 40 pages or so), but i know all about them and I'd guess if your a big fan of the show they'd be nearly impossible to avoid, up there with "Vader is Luke's father" (and the previously mentioned Sixth Sense example). I can't begin to really proposed where to draw the line, but I just wanted to point out that a thread eject for these particular sort of spoilers would be a bit ridiculous, particularly in a basement thread.

That said, part of the fun of talking about a show is talking about what might happen in the future of it. Unfortunately the comics are inextricably linked to that discussion for at least some people. So, while I understand that generally "spoilers" = "very bad," disallowing them does pretty effectively limit how people who know about them can participate in forward-looking discussions, even about just the show. Maybe that's worth it to avoid spoilers? Perhaps there should just be a spoiler-free show thread instead and this one could remain to cover both the comics and the show since it has already had some comic spoilers? Idk, just a thought...

#615 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

That's a good point, so the concern about the spoilers is not that it's ruining the comic for would be readers, but potentially spoiling the TV show

Bingo (imo at least)

That said, I can understand the desire to discuss the comparison and similarities/differences but there are dedicated spaces for that discussion. The comparison is often fascinating from the context of what works/doesn't work in specific entertainment mediums.

Once TWD has run its course as a show I fully plan to seek out the key differences for curiosity sake, but I don't really plan to read the comics.

#616 8 years ago

I don't watch the "talking" shows, they annoy me. I don't typically seek out news about the show on the interwebs either--unless I just happen across it.

I just watch the show.

#617 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

I don't watch the "talking" shows, they annoy me. I don't typically seek out news about the show on the interwebs either--unless I just happen across it.
I just watch the show.

Me also.

#618 8 years ago

Dumb question.... is FTWD based on the graphic novel too?

#619 8 years ago

Dumb question.... is FTWD based on the graphic novel too?

No it is not, it's a story developed completely for TV.

#620 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

No it is not, it's a story developed completely for TV.

I hope the junky kid gets eaten by a Sharknado. Then I might become a dedicated watcher.

Do those commercials on the airplane have anything to do with the regular show or are they trying to get you to watch some kind of on-line episodes?

#621 8 years ago

Those are trailers for Fear the Walking Dead, which starts season 2 April 10th.

Regarding Comic Spoilers, how about we just all agree not to post, "What happens next in the comics"
and agree after an episode, its OK to discuss what happened.

#622 8 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I am.

#623 8 years ago
Quoted from Fresh_Wax:

It's amusing that people try to justify posting comic spoilers as if they are not assholes for doing so.

#624 8 years ago

I have really enjoyed talking dead since season 4. They dont give anything away, but they explain certain undertones that I overlooked. I also like the humor of it

#625 8 years ago

Damn, talk about an adult content show. Season finale really built up the tension through the episode. Hard core Negan intro.

#626 8 years ago

Holy shit......intense. "Killing my men, not cool"

#627 8 years ago

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I felt that the finale was underwhelming.

The last scene with Negan was awesome, but the rest of the episode was "meh" to me.

I'm hoping that Fear The Walking Dead will improve in season 2.

Marcus

#628 8 years ago

So Negan is wearing a perfect, looks brand new leather jacket? Really?? Should be a good bit of brain matter on that thing.

#629 8 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So Negan is wearing a perfect, looks brand new leather jacket? Really?? Should be a good bit of brain matter on that thing.

Dude is king of an army. I'd be rockin clean stuff too. Talking dead noted that the show made a big effort to recreate his apparel (jacket, etc) in the comic extremely faithfully.

#630 8 years ago
Quoted from Xerico:

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I felt that the finale was underwhelming.
The last scene with Negan was awesome, but the rest of the episode was "meh" to me.
I'm hoping that Fear The Walking Dead will improve in season 2.
Marcus

I'm with you. First half of the season was definitely 10X better than 2nd half.

And the Neegan scene was great. But a little unbelievable. You just don't keep a rival leader alive in a situation like that; off the leader and the followers have no choice but to abide to your command. Hopefully next season matches the intensity of the 1st half of this season rather than the latter.

#631 8 years ago

This season was pretty good but last night's episode seemed like a half hour of more commercials, and a hour tour thru the woods in a RV. I hope next year we find out it was the writer of that episode that got there brains smashed in by Negan, if not hopefully it was that dumb ass Eugene, the whole episode I was waiting for them to bring out that rocket launcher and blow them away instead of turning around.

#632 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm with you. First half of the season was definitely 10X better than 2nd half.
And the Neegan scene was great. But a little unbelievable. You just don't keep a rival leader alive in a situation like that; off the leader and the followers have no choice but to abide to your command. Hopefully next season matches the intensity of the 1st half of this season rather than the latter.

That's exactly what you do if you want those people to produce for you.....if he off'd Rick....no one could fill those shoes....their group would fall apart....Keeping Rick alive is the smartest thing Negan could do..... ............Joey

#633 8 years ago
Quoted from Breaking_Dad:

That's exactly what you do if you want those people to produce for you.....if he off'd Rick....no one could fill those shoes....their group would fall apart....Keeping Rick alive is the smartest thing Negan could do..... ............Joey

No spoilers here, but in the comic Negan explains that in the comic in the same scene....I cant kill the leader....

They need to swap out his leather jacket.....didnt do him any favors...

#634 8 years ago
Quoted from dzoomer:

Dude is king of an army. I'd be rockin clean stuff too. Talking dead noted that the show made a big effort to recreate his apparel (jacket, etc) in the comic extremely faithfully.

There's a difference between clean and looks like it just came off the rack new. It just didn't look realistic to me.

#635 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

No spoilers here, but in the comic Negan explains that in the comic in the same scene....I cant kill the leader....
They need to swap out his leather jacket.....didnt do him any favors...

That is a spoiler. One again why do we have to heard about the Fucking Comic! He did not say he could not kill the leader and he smashed in someone unknown. Could be Rick but I guess not if he said that in the comic.

We have a big ongoing discussion about not wanting to hear about the comic? Why does every other post mention the comic still?

#636 8 years ago

To me the whole Negan Army thing is a bit unbelievable. It would take a lot of resources to keep a group of that size fed, house, armed and happy enough not to leave. Resources are dwindling with no new gas or ammo being produced. They can't steal enough from the occasional passed by on the road and the small communities are not producing that much (from what we have seen).

In this episode the spent how much to frighten Rick and a camper of people? All day food for the men, gas for the cars, diesel for the heavy equipment, ammo to frighten them. For what? In the hope they will produce? If they just had the army drive up to the gates of Alexandria and say "This is what you are up against" it would have been over.

If we find out there is a thriving community still refining oil, mining minerals and making ammo then maybe. But then it would be so huge there is no future for Rick and the gang and that would be it. It really would be a whole new world order. But that is what we are left thinking.

#637 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

That is a spoiler. One again why do we have to heard about the Fucking Comic! He did not say he could not kill the leader and he smashed in someone unknown. Could be Rick but I guess not if he said that in the comic.

It is a spoiler and I'm tired of "in the comics _____ happens" but frankly with the stupid cliffhanger ending the show did, there's no way it's Rick anyway imo

#638 8 years ago

My thoughts,

- Negan was awesome; best 10 minutes of this part of the season no doubt. The acting from Andrew Lincoln (Rick) sold the situation more than anything.

- Rest of the episode was 'meh'; should have been a 60 minute episode and the Carol/Morgan plotline continues to meander to nowhere, with the only breadcrumb now being a bunch of football padded horsemen.

- Cliffhanger was beyond dumb; they needed to show someone dying after all this hype, and frankly it should have been multiple people as it's been since carl's eye got shot that we have had a 'big death' and I don't know if anyone was sad to see that family go anyway.

With the way they did this, it basically rules out anyone important as the death will be anticlimactic as hell next season, even if it starts right from that scene. My guess is we will actually be doing a "6 months later" opening where Rick and Co. are subservient to Negan, and we find out 'oh so-and-so is the one who died'. This to me means its likely going to be Aaron as he's the closest to a forgettable 'Red Shirt' in this situation, but I could see Eugene, Shasha, Rosita, or Abraham as well. Despite the old "anyone can die" mentality these shows like TWD and GoT tend to push, TWD is certainly becoming pretty safe for main characters imo.

#639 8 years ago

It is a spoiler and I'm tired of "in the comics ____ happens" but frankly with the stupid cliffhanger ending the show did, there's no way it's Rick anyway imo

I agree. (on both)

I figure not Rick or his kid because they would not be able to hold back. Same for Maggie and Glen (also they each just got a pass). We tend to like Darly too much and he is a big money maker for selling toys of him, cross bows and motorcycles, (but possible).
Abraham, while possible, seemed to get a pass from volunteering.

Maybe Michonne just to keep Rick on edge by killing every love interest.
To me most likely Sasha, Eugeen or the guy from Alexandria (brought with them like a red shirt guy from Star Trek). Red shirt seems like it is not exciting enough, but when a major player gets killed we see it and go into shock (Like Beth).

We all wanted Morgan dead but he finally killed someone to say Carol so he's not totally hated. And even the priest is less of a jerk.

#640 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Red shirt seems like it is not exciting enough, but when a major player gets killed we see it and go into shock (Like Beth).

If they'd have SHOWN it this episode, it could have been (almost) anyone. Now it pretty much has to be a Red Shirt because there will be no shock in Season 8 premiere, just 'wtf it was ___?'. The death of the main characters deserve more than this imo, but frankly TWD has been inconsistent enough that I guess they could try it this way.

#641 8 years ago

For the record, despite the issues, I enjoyed this season. Stuff actually happened that kept me entertained.

There were some pretty rough patches back in season 3-4 if I recall where I almost abandoned ship where it seemed like the plot stalled out and we were just going though the motions. This season had issues, but it was entertaining.

Looking forward, as I said before, I hope Negan can last a season or two. This show needs an antagonist with a name, a face, and a motive that can persist past a few opening episodes. Would love to see Rick and Co. hit the road again with the intent of rallying for revenge; probably with Carol's Riders of Rohan who, while interesting, looked a little silly frankly.

#642 8 years ago

He didn't give a comic spoiler. We know it wasn't rick or the kid because At the end of the show before Negan bashed in someone's skull, he said something like 'if anyone tries to stop me, cut out the kids other eye and feed it to his dad.'

#643 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

We have a big ongoing discussion about not wanting to hear about the comic? Why does every other post mention the comic still?

Come on? Think they would really kill of Rick?? And no it wasnt a spoiler....I was just adding to the previous post. I have never given spoilers in these posts...no reason to get butt hurt....

#644 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Come on? Think they would really kill of Rick?? And no it wasnt a spoiler....I was just adding to the previous post. I have never given spoilers in these posts...no reason to get butt hurt....

Last week moderator pmWolf (Pete) stepped in because of abuse reports. I have not done one because it is a basement thread. But he asked about people here deciding what was to be discussed or left out. Most people said they don't want to hear about the comics. They have no intention of reading them and just want to discuss the show. That even the discussion of the differences between the show and the comic is enough of a spoiler that is someone wants to start a thread about Comic vs Show they show do that, but leave the comic out of this thread.

#645 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Last week moderator pmWolf (Pete) stepped in because of abuse reports. I have not done one because it is a basement thread. But he asked about people here deciding what was to be discussed or left out. Most people said they don't want to hear about the comics. They have no intention of reading them and just want to discuss the show. That even the discussion of the differences between the show and the comic is enough of a spoiler that is someone wants to start a thread about Comic vs Show they show do that, but leave the comic out of this thread.

That I understand and respect....moving forward, I wont mention "comic book" again.

#646 8 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

That I understand and respect....moving forward, I wont mention "comic book" again.

Too late, this time I already sent in an abuse report for your wonderful comment towards me. No reason.

#648 8 years ago

It's not Rick or Carl. It's not a spoiler, Negan said it himself, he said if anyone moves take out Carl's other eye and feed it to his dad. This means neither are getting Lucille.

#649 8 years ago

Sorry, go to post 597 (4th to last on the last page) just 5 days ago and read the discussions afterwards. If you want to call me "butt hurt" first thing on a Monday morning when I just wanted to discuss the show it is not appreciated.

#650 8 years ago

I think it's Abraham who felt the brunt of Lucille.

If you noticed in the last few moments, as Negan scanned the group, they made a point to show Abraham straighten up and kind of posture like he wasn't afraid.

Then, after the initial hit by the bat, we see, from the point of view of the person who got hit, the person kind of straighten back up after that first hit.

That's why I think it was Abraham. Not to mention the number of hits, leading me to believe it wasn't a woman or someone of smaller stature.

(And the creators did say on the Talking Dead that there were small clues during the scene.)

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: Forgot about all the talk with Sasha if she'd be up for doing like Glenn and Maggie (meaning bring a life into the world). Making plans like that and giving speeches like that don't seem to be the way to hang around this show.

There are 2,412 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 49.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fear-the-walking-dead-starts-tonight/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.