(Topic ID: 189364)

FCC Starts Dismantling Internet (Neutrality)

By Wickerman2

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 459 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Far-Out-Man (resized).jpg
Net+neutrality+meme+dump_8521b1_6447383 (resized).jpg
7C5CC682-BE91-48EF-BA54-52A75405FDCB (resized).jpeg
829BB22D-EEB9-4E59-A582-9B2D09687799 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2C7C6DC7-EDBE-4DFB-9EF5-5E1F5B09DD16 (resized).jpeg
DNGlrABUIAAr9RO (resized).jpg
what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0 (resized).jpg
NN.png
IMG_0136 (resized).PNG
IMG_0621 (resized).JPG (© www.fringewalkers.com)
IMG_1111 (resized).JPG
highwaydeaths (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drunkbaby.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

This is one reason why Washington should stay out of regulating the internet and creating rules over it.
By 'helping' they have screwed up several several industries in the last 20 years including mortgages, healthcare and college education.
Regulation makes things more expensive, stifles innovation and creates barriers to entry. These is so anti-Silicon valley/ High Tech, I can't believe people want the politicians to get involved. (i know, someone wants to make or save money on it)
The telecoms invested in the infrastructure and should be able to make money on it.
There are no more monopolies in telecom (except in very remote areas) so stop regulating it. People have more options than ever so let them figure out what they like best.
Restrictions/ preferences/ throttling can all be overcome by paying the provider more or changing providers. So for all intents and purposes this is regulating the price of services which is wrong.
So i'm not sure which words describe the side I'm on since the law/act/regulation Titles usually mean the opposite; but I am on the NO Regulations side.

Are we living on the same timeline? I see history repeating itself, at least from my distorted perspective. All of these horizontal mergers and buy outs aren't to lower your costs and give you more options.

Here's a fun fact, in 1994 my home state of Pennsylvania granted Verizon 2.1 billion dollars to roll out fiber to every household by 2015. 1994! They met none of their deadlines and the deal stood despite not living up to a fraction of the contract. I live in a densely populated area and I'm fairly certain I still can't subscribe to FiOS, which wasn't even a blip on anyones radar for another 10 years. Not that I'd want to, I'd have Google Fiber by now at a fraction of the cost with orders of magnitude better speed.

I'd be hard pressed to believe other local or state governments didn't pay telcos to build out infrastructure. Much like rich sport team owners that threaten to leave a city if they don't fund a new stadium, these tactics basically boil down to extortion. But the most ironic part of your infrastructure statement is that Verizon was actively trying to subvert their own copper lines to force customers onto their wireless networks by not fixing existing infrastructure!

(Sources: http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/30544 https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/10/verizon-workers-can-now-be-fired-if-they-fix-copper-phone-lines/)

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Internet access should be free to all and the Internet companies pay for it.
I dont have to pay to enter a target or a wegmans.... Why should i have to pay to enter amazon or facebook?
Without internet access... Amazon is not amazon.

Should UPS and FedEx pay for the highways? Amazon was built on a budding innovation that wasn't created originally for E-commerce, just like the roads weren't originally built to deliver personal packages en masse. Innovation shouldn't be penalized, but it should be monitored and checked whenever harm is extended to the consumer, workers, or environment at large.

There is nothing innovative about blowing away net neutrality other than new and inventive ways to separate you from your money.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drunkbaby.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fcc-starts-dismantling-internet-neutrality?tu=drunkbaby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.