(Topic ID: 189364)

FCC Starts Dismantling Internet (Neutrality)

By Wickerman2

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 459 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Far-Out-Man (resized).jpg
Net+neutrality+meme+dump_8521b1_6447383 (resized).jpg
7C5CC682-BE91-48EF-BA54-52A75405FDCB (resized).jpeg
829BB22D-EEB9-4E59-A582-9B2D09687799 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2C7C6DC7-EDBE-4DFB-9EF5-5E1F5B09DD16 (resized).jpeg
DNGlrABUIAAr9RO (resized).jpg
what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0 (resized).jpg
NN.png
IMG_0136 (resized).PNG
IMG_0621 (resized).JPG (© www.fringewalkers.com)
IMG_1111 (resized).JPG
highwaydeaths (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Half_Life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#331 6 years ago

Received the following from one of my Representatives:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for net neutrality. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to contact me concerning this important matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

Net neutrality rules prohibit Internet service providers (ISPs) from treating different content differently. Without these protections, a given ISP could charge extra to deliver certain data, or even refuse to deliver those data entirely. Such arrangements would disadvantage any group or business that lacked the resources to pay for “fast lane” delivery. As a result, consumers could see reduced access, or no access, to certain content and websites.

Preserving net neutrality is crucial to keeping the Internet an open forum — a place where content providers compete on a level playing field, and where consumers have full control over how they browse the Web.

In 2015, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) enacted rules that effectively guaranteed net neutrality — a decision then-President Obama strongly supported. Earlier this year, with President Trump’s support, the FCC voted to begin the process of eliminating those Obama-era rules. The public comment period recently closed, but a final action is still in the future.

Please know that I strongly oppose the rollback of net neutrality rules, and will fight to keep existing regulations in place to ensure the Internet remains a free, open, and equal forum.

Again, I genuinely appreciate hearing from you on important issues. It is an honor to represent you, and I hope you will continue to share your opinions with me. I look forward to hearing from you in the future.
Sincerely,

A. Donald McEachin
Member of Congress
Virginia's 4th District

#336 6 years ago

Response from one of my Senators:

Thank you for contacting me about net neutrality. I appreciate hearing your views about government and corporate control over the Internet.

Net neutrality refers to the idea that Internet Service Providers (ISPs), such as AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Cox, or Time Warner Cable, should treat all data on the Internet equally. This includes general principles that owners of the networks should not block content or degrade network performance based on the type of user, content, site, application, or platform.

The Federal Communications Commission's (FCC) Open Internet Order went into effect in June 2015. The order reclassifies ISPs as a common carrier service under Title II of the Communications Act. This reclassification means that ISPs will be subject to regulations similar to those imposed on public utilities, such as phone companies. The rules forbid paid prioritization (also called internet fast lanes), which would have allowed ISPs and content providers (e.g. Netflix, Amazon) to pay to speed up delivery of streaming video or online gaming services. The order also prohibits ISPs from blocking websites, gives the FCC authority to intervene when large cable companies do not act in the public interest, and includes network management practices that prevent bandwidth throttling (the intentional slowing down of Internet service). In addition to wired lines, mobile data services for smartphones and tablets are subject to the rules.

The FCC is not involved on pricing or engineering decisions made by companies in managing their networks, wireless data caps are still in effect, and broadband providers are not required to increase network speeds. In June 2016, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit announced a decision to uphold the FCC's rule.

Virginians rely on strong net neutrality protections to stream shows, share videos and photos with family and friends, shop online, and run small businesses; therefore, I support a free and open internet guided by strong net neutrality protections.

On January 23rd, 2017, FCC Commissioner Ajit Pai assumed the chairmanship of the agency-his term was extended for 5 years in October by a 52-41 Senate vote. I voted against extending his term because Chairman Pai has announced his opposition to the Open Internet Order, alongside other rollbacks that would harm consumers. On May 18th, 2017, the FCC voted 2-1 to reverse the internet's Title II reclassification of 2015 and effectively weaken the FCC's oversight of ISPs. Following a review period, Chairman Pai announced that the FCC will take a final vote in December on whether to implement this plan. Unfortunately, repeal of net neutrality is expected to pass the FCC; however, this decision will be subject to court challenges, and Congress can offer a legislative solution.

Internet policies should protect consumers and serve as an engine of innovation, investment, and growth for our economy. Be assured that I oppose any moves by the Trump Administration or the FCC to reverse the Open Internet Order. I hope Congress can work together on a proposal to preserve internet freedom. Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sincerely,

Tim Kaine

#376 6 years ago

The reply from my other Senator:

Thank you for contacting me about open access to the internet, also known as “net neutrality.” I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.

Over the last decade, skyrocketing demand for both mobile and fixed internet access and content services has made it more difficult for internet service providers (ISPs) to manage network traffic. The market for broadband has grown increasingly concentrated and a number of ISPs have acquired companies that directly compete with other downstream content providers. These developments furthered a policy debate over appropriate network management practices, and fears that ISPs may choose to block or degrade service to products and services offered by competitors, or that ISPs may provide better service only to select companies, or for a fee.

On February 26, 2015, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) voted 3-2 to approve new open internet rules, replacing 2010 rules that had been vacated by the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals in January 2014. The adopted rules reclassified broadband internet access as a telecommunications service under Title II of the Communications Act and apply to both fixed and wireless internet providers. Under the rules, the practices of blocking, throttling, and paid prioritization - also known as "fast lanes" - are prohibited. A number of additional provisions are included in the rules that deal with transparency, interconnection agreements, network management, and regulatory forbearance, among other things. On June 14, 2016, the D.C. Circuit upheld the FCC’s open internet rules by a vote of 2-1. Following the reclassification of broadband internet access under Title II, the FCC adopted Broadband Consumer Privacy rules on October 27, 2016. In addition to establishing standards for data breach and cybersecurity, the rules set limits on the collection and use of user data by ISPs.

In March 2017, Republicans in the House and Senate voted on a party-line basis to dismantle the Broadband Consumer Privacy rules using the Congressional Review Act. I opposed this effort and voted against the legislation to roll back those privacy protections.

On April 27, 2017, President Donald Trump’s newly-designated FCC Chairman, Ajit Pai, released a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) to roll back the open internet rules. The FCC voted to move forward with Chairman Pai's proposal by a vote of 2-1 on May 18, 2017. On November 21, 2017, the FCC released its plan to reverse the classification of broadband as a common carriage service. It was concerning that the plan would not retain any of the longstanding open internet principles that have been supported by both Republican and Democratic administrations since 2005. The FCC is expected to vote on this plan during a meeting on December 14, 2017. If you would like to submit a comment to the FCC regarding this plan, you can do so by visiting https://www.fcc.gov and clicking on “File a Public Comment.”

It is important to me that the free and open nature of the internet is preserved so that it can continue to be a vehicle for growth and innovation. As the co-founder of a major wireless telecommunications company, I also understand that it is important to create an environment that encourages broadband deployment. I support policies that allow for an open internet, subject to reasonable network management to meet the needs of all users. Congress will continue to debate legislative options, and I will certainly keep your thoughts in mind if the Senate considers related legislation in the future.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at https://www.warner.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

5 months later
#455 5 years ago

From my state Senator:

Dear Friend,

It's official - we've passed our bill in the Senate to save net neutrality!

So what does this mean? It means that we are one step closer to making sure the internet remains free and open to all. And it means we are one step closer to making sure that internet service providers can't block, slow down, or discriminate against content online. This is a fundamental issue of providing consumers with more choice and control.

Watch my video to hear about today's big vote >> https://www.facebook.com/SenatorKaine/videos/1665715193477567/

In 2015, the Obama Administration put net neutrality rules in place to protect consumers. This past December, the Trump Administration took them away to protect big internet service providers. We're fighting back to stand with consumers. It's as simple as that.

We worked hard for this vote, and now that our bill has passed, we need the House to swiftly take it up so we can reverse the Trump Administration's gutting of net neutrality protections. If we don't act now, the FCC could end net neutrality in less than one month, which could have a big negative impact on your experience on the web. So if you want to keep the internet free and open for all, continue making your voices heard so we can keep up the momentum and get this bill across the finish line.

Sincerely,

Senator Tim Kaine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Half_Life.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fcc-starts-dismantling-internet-neutrality?tu=Half_Life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.