(Topic ID: 189364)

FCC Starts Dismantling Internet (Neutrality)

By Wickerman2

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 459 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Far-Out-Man (resized).jpg
Net+neutrality+meme+dump_8521b1_6447383 (resized).jpg
7C5CC682-BE91-48EF-BA54-52A75405FDCB (resized).jpeg
829BB22D-EEB9-4E59-A582-9B2D09687799 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2C7C6DC7-EDBE-4DFB-9EF5-5E1F5B09DD16 (resized).jpeg
DNGlrABUIAAr9RO (resized).jpg
what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0 (resized).jpg
NN.png
IMG_0136 (resized).PNG
IMG_0621 (resized).JPG (© www.fringewalkers.com)
IMG_1111 (resized).JPG
highwaydeaths (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 6 years ago

Essentially, it would be a significant rule change for the informational highway.

Like with highways right now, cars, trucks, tractor trailers, busses, etc all share highways equally. They can hop on and drive on it at any time, use any lane, and everybody is expected to obey traffic laws and speed limits.

Imagine if highways were changed so that the fast and middle lanes were reserved only for commercial traffic (tractor trailers, busses, etc), and all non-commercial and commuter traffic was required to be in the slow lane. Traffic would become a nightmare.

Not a perfect analogy, but that's basically what could happen.

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Will this affect me if I run a VPN?

Yup.

ISPs can detect VPN tunnels, and can easily throttle those or block them entirely.

They could also throttle VPN providers or require VPN providers to pay additional fees for using certain networks or services.

#75 6 years ago
Quoted from pezpunk:

the ISPs would probably see using a VPN as equivalent to stealing cable.

That's a good point, and I could see the argument ISPs could make for it.

#111 6 years ago

In a nutshell, net neutrality basically ensures that service providers providing internet access are acting as neutral parties when it comes to the data that flows on their networks.

It ensures that everyone has equal access to any content available online. It isn't "regulation" per say--it's protecting unhindered access to online content.

This is similar to telephone service. You can call anyone and anyone can call you. Imagine if phone companies started regulating who could call others and when and for how long. You might suddenly find yourself unable to call your friend across town because he uses verizon and you use AT&T because of whatever corporate shenanigans the two companies are involved with that prevent you from having equal access to phone service. Or, you phone calls are arbitrarily limited to 60 seconds before being disconnected.

Net neutrality is the idea that your access will not be interfered with by organizations that provide that access.

2 months later
#277 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

are claiming they "built it" so they should get some fees...it's bullshit.

They did not come up with the initial concept or contribute to its initial development, but technically, they installed the cabling/fiber and networking equipment that made it accessible to everyone.

#278 6 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

I received this response from our districts congresswoman, after asking her to help stop the FCCs dismantling of net neutrality.
Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns regarding Net Neutrality and Internet freedom. I appreciate hearing from you on this important issue.
Since Net Neutrality was implemented, it has harmed our technology sector and economy by categorizing data as a utility. This restricts self-governance relative to other industries that also have tiered service in conjunction with variable pricing and speeds, such as our rail systems, airlines, and postal service, which has priority mail, standard, and first class. In just two years under this regulation, domestic broadband capital expenditures have decreased by $3.6 billion. This loss of capital expenditures has hurt small Internet providers by decreasing the resources available for the necessary infrastructure investment needed to stay competitive in the marketplace.
I support the efforts to return the Internet to the people. The Internet has always thrived on innovation, not government control. The prior Administration had reversed the decades of bipartisan support that recognized that consumers should control and drive the information superhighway – not any one political party or agency.
Thank you again for contacting me. It is a privilege to serve you in the Tenth District. I may also be contacted at my Sterling office at 703-404-6903, or my Washington, D.C. office at 202-225-5136. By visiting http://comstock.house.gov, you can sign up to receive my email newsletters and follow my efforts to serve you. If I may ever be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Sincerely,
Barbara Comstock
Member of Congress

I received something similar.
-----------

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) 2015 Open Internet Order. I share your belief in the need for strong net neutrality.

The new FCC chairman, Ajit Pai, recently announced the Trump administration’s plan to dismantle the Obama-era FCC rules that required Internet service providers like AT&T and Comcast to treat all internet traffic fairly. This would unravel net neutrality and the FCC is moving in the wrong direction. It will neither invigorate our economy nor spark innovation. Instead, it will limit choices for consumers and greatly increase costs for American start-ups. Keeping the internet open is critical to twenty-first century freedom and innovation, for both businesses and individuals alike.

In 2014, I joined my Senate colleagues in writing a letter to then-FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler urging him to adopt strong net neutrality. I will continue to press the Trump administration to support a free and open internet and maintain critical consumer protections.

I believe the federal government can help ensure that all American households have reliable internet access at a reasonable cost, and will continue to fight for protection of net neutrality.

Again, thank you for contacting me. Please keep in touch with your thoughts and opinions.

Sincerely,

Charles E. Schumer
United States Senator

#280 6 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Nah - they're polar opposites. Comstock is for dismantling it, while Schumer's letter is stating he's for keeping it.
I guess, similar in that they're all form-letters.

Oops, I just skimmed the first line and figured it was a similar form letter

4 months later
#408 6 years ago

Some posts on Twitter are saying there was a bomb threat

Other posts are saying it's just protesters interrupting.

[edit]: Yeah, nobody actually knows yet.

[edit2]: the feed was showing security going around with dogs, so it seems like the issue may actually be a bomb threat.

#413 6 years ago

Well, it was a 3-2 vote to repeal net neutrality. Can't say I'm surprised. Big mistake, IMHO.

#424 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

I believe valuable companies such as Netflix will wage a legal war over this before it is over.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ForceFlow.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fcc-starts-dismantling-internet-neutrality?tu=ForceFlow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.