(Topic ID: 189364)

FCC Starts Dismantling Internet (Neutrality)

By Wickerman2

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 459 posts
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by chad
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Far-Out-Man (resized).jpg
Net+neutrality+meme+dump_8521b1_6447383 (resized).jpg
7C5CC682-BE91-48EF-BA54-52A75405FDCB (resized).jpeg
829BB22D-EEB9-4E59-A582-9B2D09687799 (resized).jpeg
maxresdefault (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
2C7C6DC7-EDBE-4DFB-9EF5-5E1F5B09DD16 (resized).jpeg
DNGlrABUIAAr9RO (resized).jpg
what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0 (resized).jpg
NN.png
IMG_0136 (resized).PNG
IMG_0621 (resized).JPG (© www.fringewalkers.com)
IMG_1111 (resized).JPG
highwaydeaths (resized).png
There are 459 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

deregulation lowered prices​?

It probably can lower prices certainly...that doesn't make it good. For example, say the gov't removed the req's for coal companies to properly store coal mining waste instead of putting it in our public waterways. Of course it's cheaper for the coal guy to just dump it in a river...."maybe" they will pass that savings along to the consumer, maybe not. Not to mention that that example actually eliminates the jobs that were created in properly storing the contaminated waste.

I don't really see the net neutrality issue as the classic "deregulation" argument anyway. This is a more unique situation.

#152 6 years ago

Sure, Is the cost really lowered if we're paying to clean up some eco disaster a decade later? Regulations have purpose, but the pendulum can and does swing too far.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

While you are at it, find me an example where deregulation led to anything but increased prices and reduced services (or economic meltdowns, or environmental disasters, or dead people.... you get the idea). I'll save you time - there are none.

Thank you for trying to save me some time, that's very civil of you. It doesn't contribute to the discussion, but hugs all around. I would have argued that deregulation of industries such as auto insurance, airlines and oh what's my job again - telecommunications - all contributed greatly to lower prices and increased access availability but those all seem obvious and I wouldn't want to waste your time.

Quoted from Brijam:

It's also trivially easy to monitor for any form of VPN traffic and automatically block new ones as they come in. It just isn't being done. Yet.
Anyway, where will that VPN be located? Some magical unicorn land where Net Neutrality is preserved? No, it'll be in a data center at another telco.

A VPN server can be run on pretty much any damn thing down to a twenty year old linux box, put it next to Hillary's email server in the bathroom if you want.

Trivially easy but isn't being done yet? Yeah I see that a lot in this industry.

#154 6 years ago

How will removing net neutrality ("deregulation") improve the internet for end users over what it is now?

Before we're arguing about regulation the question needs to be: Who should own the internet?

I think that we should keep this thread from devolving into partison politics.

Aside from calling reps and the fcc, what can a consumer do to stop this?

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

These facts are bogus. Not one time in history has deregulation lowered prices​? Improved services? You're pushing lies when you say garbage like this, at least go with most of the time it doesn't turn out well. Deregulation is debatable, and in some circumstances the outcome is beneficial.

I have an idea. Instead of calling me a liar, cite some evidence for your claim.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

Aside from calling reps and the fcc, what can a consumer do to stop this?

Not to get overly political but fight the party that is pushing the agenda. All they understand is power and votes.

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from Kwaheltrut:

I think that we should keep this thread from devolving into partison politics.

Quoted from emkay:

....put it next to Hillary's email server in the bathroom if you want.

Too late!

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

A VPN server can be run on pretty much any damn thing down to a twenty year old linux box, put it next to Hillary's email server in the bathroom if you want.

You'll have to clear out some of Trump's rubles first.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from trunchbull:

You'll have to clear out some of Trump's rubles first.

In before the close

#160 6 years ago

OK OK...cool it.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

The difficulty comes when you force your words into my mouth.

No, I've been quoting you.

Quoted from emkay:

My only intention was to bring a level of reality to a flawed argument but even I see the futility in that now.

When did that ever happen?

Quoted from emkay:

I don't get the impression you're trying to understand either and I don't have any desire to engage in combat so hey.

What is there to understand? You have not made any logical case for removing net neutrality.

Quoted from emkay:

Don't say you're sorry if you're not

I'm not sorry for standing by my net neutrality position. I'm sorry if it's coming off too strong for you.

Quoted from emkay:

you obviously have an ax to grind and I'm not sure how I fit in but best of luck to you with that.

No, I don't. Don't know you, don't care. What I care about are the issues. When I see someone attempting to cloud the issues and repeat corporate talking points, I'll continue to share facts and information that is actually helpful for others.

Quoted from emkay:

I'm just here for the pinball.

Interesting. Then why are you posting in this thread? Answer - to cloud the issue and gas lighting people.

Quoted from emkay:

My internet neutrality is safe and sound.

Yes, because it has not been removed yet. Hence, the reason for this thread.

#162 6 years ago

For those that want to bring partisan politics into the discussion; Most major corporations hedge their bets and donate to both parties. Who do you think these politicians are passing legislation for, the average citizens or their donors?

Most major current issues in the country are non-partisan or bi-partisan. I would implore you to not allow one of the political parties craft a narrative for you. Do the independent research and focus on the issues, not the parties. There is absolutely no need to bring partisan politics into this thread unless you specifically want it to get locked.

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

No, I don't. Don't know you, don't care. What I care about are the issues. When I see someone attempting to cloud the issues and repeat corporate talking points, I'll continue to share facts and information that is actually helpful for others.

Your sincerity is as convincing to me as mine seems to be to you. I don't repeat talking points, I'm very well known in my organization for going against the flow and I'm done with you on this topic. I realized as soon as I started down this path that it was a lost cause and you've driven that point home. Cheers!

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Your sincerity is as convincing to me as mine seems to be to you. I don't repeat talking points, I'm very well known in my organization for going against the flow and I'm done with you on this topic. I realized as soon as I started down this path that it was a lost cause and you've driven that point home. Cheers!

All rhetoric no substance. Of all your posts, you never once articulated an argument for removing net neutrality. Everyone reading should take note, this is exactly what you will get when someone attempts to speak in favor of removing net neutrality. There is no logical argument that it would help the consumer in any way, none. This deregulation only helps those in telecom and the politicians that will move back into the private sector and cash in after killing net neutrality.

For those of you who would like to get involved, there are a lot of good resources and groups that provide steps that you can take to help the cause. Here are just a few:

Activism:
https://www.battleforthenet.com/

FCC Comments:
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/filings?proceedings_name=17-108&sort=date_disseminated,DESC

You can contact FCC chairman Ajit Pai and let him know what you think by emailing him: [email protected]. You can also call the FCC at 1-888-225-5322. At the prompt, press 1, then 4, then 2, then 0 to be connected to an agent and file a complaint.

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Thank you for trying to save me some time, that's very civil of you. It doesn't contribute to the discussion, but hugs all around. I would have argued that deregulation of industries such as auto insurance, airlines and oh what's my job again - telecommunications - all contributed greatly to lower prices and increased access availability but those all seem obvious and I wouldn't want to waste your time.

Since you're being so vague, I can't respond other than to say that:

1) I'm not aware of any federal auto insurance deregulation at all.
2) Airline deregulation did not improve air travel, are you kidding?
3) What telecommunications deregulation are you talking about? Kindly be more specific.
4) Sometimes deregulation is mistakenly used to describe the breakup of a monopoly, such as Bell, so if you're talking about THAT kind of deregulation, I'm in favor. I just wouldn't call it deregulation.

With few exceptions I would say that heavy government regulation and subsidies contributed to the increased access availability we see today. The monopolies granted by the government as a result of those subsidies have made Internet a one choice option for many. You don't mean to say that most of the fiber was laid without government approval, subsidies and regulation?

Still waiting for a documented example of deregulation that led to clear human good.

Quoted from emkay:

Trivially easy but isn't being done yet? Yeah I see that a lot in this industry.

You were really vague about what exactly you do in telecommunications. I guess you didn't read the part where I talked in detail about my background. It's okay, it was earlier in the thread. So while it is possible that we may know the same amount about VPNs, but I seriously doubt you know more than I do about them; I sysadmin multiple Linux servers (for fun) and have for decades. My first Linux box was Internet facing in 1996. Between 1994 and 2015 my industry was the Internet, and the decade prior I was a hardcore Internet enthusiast. Doing things like sending emails from an acoustically coupled pocket modem equipped laptop through the Internet and various gateways (University UNIX servers and several commercial services) in the 1980s both in the USA and in travels abroad.

You don't seriously think it would be hard to implement real time VPN blocking in 2017 do you? The only reason Telcos aren't mass banning VPNs is because they can't argue they have a basis to do it... right now. If Net Neutrality is abolished, the telco can successfully argue that you're trying to get around their policies and that would make running a VPN a TOS violation. So yeah, trivially easy, and they just need an excuse. It'll happen as fast as they shut down port 25 for legit mail servers on their "unlimited" residential Internet packages.

Myself, and many people like me worked damn hard to make the Internet what it is. Yes, sometimes we got paid for it, but a lot of our work was done for free (look up Richard Stallman and his legions of followers for more). We fought battles that most people aren't even aware of and take for granted: free and open standards, for access to good encryption, and for NO WALLED GARDENS. We're saying that removing Net Neutrality is damn serious, and this will lead to a dramatically worse Internet. You can scoff at us, ignore us, shake your head like we're a bunch of crazy people... just like a lot of people did back in the 80s and 90s when we were talking about how the Internet would transform society. Or take action.

Lastly, it's not cool and directly against the moderator's stated rules for this thread to try and make this nonpartisan thread partisan with that Hillary quote. Bait not taken.

#167 6 years ago

There are good and relevant analogies in this tread, but the best example still remains with the telecoms. After AT&T was broken up and companies were given equal access to telephone lines, it resulted in huge decreases in consumer costs coupled with an increase in quality due to competition. Net neutrality is to the internet what telecom regulations made possible.

#168 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I have an idea. Instead of calling me a liar, cite some evidence for your claim.

I'm kind of shocked that you confuse your argument with some kind of absolute truth. A much more reasonable position would be "most of the time deregulation is bad"
That's the only point I'm making.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Carrier_Act_of_1980

#169 6 years ago

No one gives a shit if deregulation is blanket always bad or always good. It's a pointless and stupid argument, speaking in absolutes is a recipe for a never ending spew of pedantic counterexamples. The world is never black and white like that.

If you're against net neutrality then make an argument against it specifically. If you're for it stop lumping it in with a bunch of other things it has nothing to do with.

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

No one gives a shit if deregulation is blanket always bad or always good. It's a pointless and stupid argument, speaking in absolutes is a recipe for a never ending spew of pedantic counterexamples. The world is never black and white like that.
If you're against net neutrality then make an argument against it specifically. If you're for it stop lumping it in with a bunch of other things it has nothing to do with.

Agreed. This is not a referendum on the concept of regulation in general.

Net Neutrality specifically is beneficial and critically important, and dismantling it is an absolute tragedy for the free flow of information over the internet.

There is no reason to generalize this cause into an ideological one.

#171 6 years ago

I share the concern on net neutrality (or lack thereof), but if FCC reverses classifying ISPs under title II it doesn't mean there's no regulation. In that case ISPs would be covered by title I which is regulated by FTC. Granted, While the FCC has broad power to regulate communications networks, the FTC focuses on abusive business practices that harm competition and consumers in all sectors and could also do something to protect the principles of net neutrality.

Although net neutrality is in the heart of the debate, I'm surprised no one (incl. Noone) has brought up privacy. Under title II FCC also imposed stricter rules on privacy and what ISPs can do without consumer consent. Yes, FTC also has rules on privacy but FCC added things like web-browsing and app-usage data to the list. Google and Facebook are still regulated by the FTC's looser guidelines and thus are not forced to obtain opt-in consent before they collect and sell your web-browsing and app-usage data, and of course the ISPs are not happy about this discrepancy as they could monetize that info. If that happens, it's potentially a big setback for online privacy

#172 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

I'm not against net neutrality

Quoted from emkay:

The difficulty comes when you force your words into my mouth.

Quoted from Glarrownage:

No, I've been quoting you.

Quoted from Glarrownage:

You have not made any logical case for removing net neutrality.

Quoted from Glarrownage:

Of all your posts, you never once articulated an argument for removing net neutrality.

Fine lady, you can have your deer. Just let me take the saddle off first.

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

I guess you didn't read the part where I talked in detail about my background. It's okay, it was earlier in the thread. So while it is possible that we may know the same amount about VPNs, but I seriously doubt you know more than I do about them

No, I saw it. I've never seen someone detail when they started "using the internet professionally" before but I do remember those days, I would have been smoking cigarettes on the back porch with Dennis Hayes around then. He was losing lots of money and I hadn't made any yet. I never intended to try to make this some competition of legitimacy or knowledge, I didn't realize how little I cared about the topic until hotter heads prevailed - so to speak. I do think there are a lot of nuances that get lost in the sound bites but this obviously isn't the place and I should have known that before I ever opened my mouth.

#174 6 years ago

Thanks Aurich!

I learned a new word, "pedantic!"

#175 6 years ago

Virtual Private Networks only secure and encrypt a network segment. If your target computer or server (proxy) that you are VPN'ing to is hosted by an American ISP that's censoring web sites, a VPN tunnel will not do you any good (because you will not be able to hit those web sites still).

So you'd need a proxy that's in another country (that also supports net neutrality). Reliable and fast proxy services are not free. So add that to your monthly bill.

VPNs are not necessarily the solution...

#176 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Virtual Private Networks only secure and encrypt a network segment. If your target computer or server (proxy) that you are VPN'ing to is hosted by an American ISP that's censoring web sites, a VPN tunnel will not do you any good (because you will not be able to hit those web sites still).
So you'd need a proxy that's in another country (that also supports net neutrality). Reliable and fast proxy services are not free. So add that to your monthly bill.

Good info. Not to mention that all these "solutions" are not going to be available to the average Joe lacking the skill and time...they just want to log on and do their thing. So even if there are ways around, which it sounds like there aren't, that's not the point.

#177 6 years ago

Internet access should be free to all and the Internet companies pay for it.

I dont have to pay to enter a target or a wegmans.... Why should i have to pay to enter amazon or facebook?

Without internet access... Amazon is not amazon.

#178 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

I dont have to pay to enter a target or a wegmans.... Why should i have to pay to enter amazon or facebook?

The roads you take to get to Target are not free. We all pay for them, with things like gas taxes. Infrastructure doesn't just appear and maintain itself.

#179 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The roads you take to get to Target are not free.

True. But I pay my ISP bill every month. Expansion and/or maintenance of the internet network should be covered with what we pay as customers. Same with roads and aqueducs, we pay via taxes.

But where I drive is my business, and my own only.

#180 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Should UPS and FedEx pay for the highways? Amazon was built on a budding innovation that wasn't created originally for E-commerce, just like the roads weren't originally built to deliver personal packages en masse. Innovation shouldn't be penalized, but it should be monitored and checked whenever harm is extended to the consumer, workers, or environment at large.

There is nothing innovative about blowing away net neutrality other than new and inventive ways to separate you from your money.

#181 6 years ago

Where's the best place to sign a petition, email a representative, etc? The second post has a link, but it says it's closed for comments, making me think I can't do much of anything?

https://www.gofccyourself.com/

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

True. But I pay my ISP bill every month. Expansion and/or maintenance of the internet network should be covered with what we pay as customers. Same with roads and aqueducs, we pay via taxes.

Net neutrality in a nutshell.

Quoted from drunkbaby:

Should UPS and FedEx pay for the highways?

Technically they do, that's how gas taxes work, those who use them the most pay the most.

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

No, I saw it. I've never seen someone detail when they started "using the internet professionally" before but I do remember those days, I would have been smoking cigarettes on the back porch with Dennis Hayes around then. He was losing lots of money and I hadn't made any yet. I never intended to try to make this some competition of legitimacy or knowledge, I didn't realize how little I cared about the topic until hotter heads prevailed - so to speak. I do think there are a lot of nuances that get lost in the sound bites but this obviously isn't the place and I should have known that before I ever opened my mouth.

Huh. I've always found it helpful in an online forum when someone indicates they have depth in a topic. It helps me sift through opinions based on nothing versus those based on experience.

If you have a lot of nuances that support the removal of Net Neutrality, I'd like to hear it. Otherwise I'm employing Occam's Razor and following the money on this one.

#184 6 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

I'm kind of shocked that you confuse your argument with some kind of absolute truth. A much more reasonable position would be "most of the time deregulation is bad"
That's the only point I'm making.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motor_Carrier_Act_of_1980

Thanks for posting something concrete. I've done a fair amount of research and had never turned up anything. I'll look into it.

As other have said, the point of this thread is that Net Neutrality is a good thing and shouldn't be removed. I still haven't seen a supportable argument in favor of removing it.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from NY2Colorado:

Carefully think through what you're asking for here. Like many proposals, this sounds reasonable on the surface.

But what would really happen if Amazon paid for your Internet access? They're not going to pay for you to visit Pinside, or anywhere but Amazon. Why would they? Amazon in direct competition with Pinside for revenue.

Longer term, do you think for one second that Amazon's prices will remain low if they could cut out anyone but the big players? Or that the big players won't collude and raise their prices if they know they can lock out other competitors?

Hmmm, sounds like this is what we'd get if Net Neutrality is abolished, doesn't it?

#186 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

It would be trivial for ISPs to block or throttle VPNs across the board. They would view anyone doing what you propose as a thief, getting access to websites you didn't pay for. (Just like the MPAA and RIAA labeled every peer-to-peer file sharing program user a thief).

#187 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Quoted from Brijam:

If you have a lot of nuances that support the removal of Net Neutrality, I'd like to hear it.

You and Glarrownage are working together on this aren't you?

Quoted from Brijam:

Lastly, it's not cool and directly against the moderator's stated rules for this thread to try and make this nonpartisan thread partisan with that Hillary quote. Bait not taken.

You started it:

Quoted from Brijam:

Is profit so important that it Trumps clean food, clean air, free access to all information?

---

Quoted from Brijam:

If Net Neutrality is removed you can say goodbye to Pinside. Anything you like that isn't directly produced by a major telco, it will be GONE. Telcos will slow all traffic going to places like Pinside so that only the hardcore or very rich will be able to pay to use them. As a result, this community will die. Just for a moment think about that.

I do understand the stakes very well but there's really no point in trying to move you off this level of FUD.

#188 6 years ago

enough of the non sequitur gotcha game...articulate a clear for or against PLEASE.

#190 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

Quoted from emkay:

I do understand the stakes very well but there's really no point in trying to move you off this level of FUD.

One of these things is not like the other.

Still waiting for a coherent reason to be against Net Neutrality.

#191 6 years ago
Quoted from Brijam:

One of these things is not like the other.
Still waiting for a coherent reason to be against Net Neutrality.

I'M NOT AGAINST NET NEUTRALITY. No amount of clowns pestering will coax an argument out of me that net neutrality is a bad thing. I also don't believe we inevitably need to say goodbye to Pinside, Jesus. You guys blow my fucking mind with your grasp of the issue. Just please, stop trying to paint me into your corner.

#192 6 years ago

So you have said you are "not against net neutrality", yet you come onto this thread and attack pinsiders who are for net neutrality:

Quoted from emkay:

This might be the stupidest argument on the topic yet. Can you site that legal requirement?

Quoted from emkay:

you may also not be the top of the reading comprehension class.

Quoted from emkay:

The argument is like nails on a chalkboard as far as I'm concerned because users can't be bothered to educate themselves and they pay the price and I don't have a problem with THAT specifically.

Then when challenged and asked to provide a case against net neutrality, you redirect and pretend you don't care about the topic:

Quoted from emkay:

My only intention was to bring a level of reality to a flawed argument but even I see the futility in that now

Quoted from emkay:

I don't get the impression you're trying to understand either and I don't have any desire to engage in combat so hey.

Quoted from emkay:

I realized as soon as I started down this path that it was a lost cause and you've driven that point home. Cheers!

Quoted from emkay:

Fine lady, you can have your deer. Just let me take the saddle off first.

Quoted from emkay:

I didn't realize how little I cared about the topic until hotter heads prevailed - so to speak.

Quoted from emkay:

there's really no point in trying to move you off this level of FUD.

Quoted from emkay:

this obviously isn't the place and I should have known that before I ever opened my mouth.

Quoted from emkay:

I'm done with you on this topic.

Quoted from emkay:

I'm just here for the pinball.

Yet you continue to post. Which of course begs the question, why are you still posting in this thread? As I said in an earlier post, you are intentionally trying to cloud the issue.

I'm going ask you one last time, in fact I'm begging you, please enlighten us with a solid case for the consumer or even online business owners (like Pinside) as to why net neutrality should be removed. Please provide us with the nuance and detail you have referenced on multiple occasions.

#193 6 years ago

Thanks for the link, great article! Sadly, this does not surprise me in the least.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Glarrownage:

Yet you continue to post.

Yet you continue to malign me. I've had my ethics, intentions and experience all questioned in this thread and I've told you repeatedly I wish I hadn't said a god damn thing. Please stop begging, have some self respect and leave me alone.

#195 6 years ago

Stay on point, lest this thread be locked. The more people understand what's a stake, the better.

#196 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

The more people understand what's a stake, the better.

Got it!

IMG_0621 (resized).JPGIMG_0621 (resized).JPG

#197 6 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

How do you feel about the widespread use of license plate scanners?

#198 6 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Where's the best place to sign a petition, email a representative, etc? The second post has a link, but it says it's closed for comments, making me think I can't do much of anything?
http://www.gofccyourself.com/

Worked for me when I clicked it... taking me to a "new filing"... I already filled out this form back with John Oliver made the call from his Last Week show. So I can't follow thru. the https: did fail for me ... so try without the secure socket.

#199 6 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Worked for me when I clicked it... taking me to a "new filing"... I already filled out this form back with John Oliver made the call from his Last Week show. So I can't follow thru. the https: did fail for me ... so try without the secure socket.

It appears to be back up now. From what I've read, the FCC suspended comments after their supposed DDoS attack. I guess they've reopened the comments.

#200 6 years ago
Quoted from emkay:

How do you feel about the widespread use of license plate scanners?

Well, interesting topic also. But so far, I have not yet encountered any roadblocks. Meaning, so far, I can drive where I want regardless of if my plate is scanned or not.

I was going to go into the Express Lanes tangent here, but so far there are alternative roads to take if I don't want to pay the extra fees for the express lanes.

Both paragraphs above do not seem to relate to Net Neutrality very well.

EDIT: Also, there is no expectation of any privacy when you're driving with a license plate. Police can run your plate all day long.

There are 459 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fcc-starts-dismantling-internet-neutrality/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.