Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200209-021053~2 (resized).png
this-is-not-nam-there-are-rules-6774052 (resized).png
you sold it.gif
#1 4 years ago

Heads up - Rant incoming:

I've been looking for a Bally Playboy cabinet for my project for a while, and finally found one (somewhat) locally on FB marketplace. A project Bally Playboy to be sure, but all I needed was a cabinet! So, I reached out to the guy on Wednesday, and while he was a good few hour drive I told him I was interested, and willing to put down money to hold. He wasn't interested in a deposit, but wanted cash on the glass (which I understand). I told him the soonest I could get to him was first thing Saturday morning, and I would check in with him Friday night if he still had it and meet him Saturday morning.

So, last night around 8pm I checked again with him to see if he still had it, and if this morning was still good. I confirm I'm bringing cash for his full asking price (I made no attempt to negotiate). He texts me back yesterday evening that yes he does, and he's "looking forward to seeing me" at 10am this morning.

I get my FiL and a van together to go get this thing, leave early and drive to BFE Florida to get it. I get there early (before the proscribed time), sitting in front of this guys shop waiting for this thing. He's not there - check in with him by text with no response, and then an hour later he shows up. I get out of the van and ask him where it is, and he tells me he sold it last night! It was everything I could do to not lose my sh!t. Not even an "I'm sorry" from the guy. And besides that I have no idea how someone sells a Pinball machine between the hours of 8PM and 10AM without knowing first???

I honestly don't understand how people like this function in society. What the heck happened to just being honest and respectful of people. A simple "it's gone" and it would have been no harm no foul. Ugh.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

Heads up - Rant incoming:
I've been looking for a Bally Playboy cabinet for my project for a while, and finally found one (somewhat) locally on FB marketplace. A project Bally Playboy to be sure, but all I needed was a cabinet! So, I reached out to the guy on Wednesday, and while he was a good few hour drive I told him I was interested, and willing to put down money to hold. He wasn't interested in a deposit, but wanted cash on the glass (which I understand). I told him the soonest I could get to him was first thing Saturday morning, and I would check in with him Friday night if he still had it and meet him Saturday morning.
So, last night around 8pm I checked again with him to see if he still had it, and if this morning was still good. I confirm I'm bringing cash for his full asking price (I made no attempt to negotiate). He texts me back yesterday evening that yes he does, and he's "looking forward to seeing me" at 10am this morning.
I get my FiL and a van together to go get this thing, leave early and drive to BFE Florida to get it. I get there early (before the proscribed time), sitting in front of this guys shop waiting for this thing. He's not there - check in with him by text with no response, and then an hour later he shows up. I get out of the van and ask him where it is, and he tells me he sold it last night! It was everything I could do to not lose my sh!t. Not even an "I'm sorry" from the guy. And besides that I have no idea how someone sells a Pinball machine between the hours of 8PM and 10AM without knowing first???
I honestly don't understand how people like this function in society. What the heck happened to just being honest and respectful of people. A simple "it's gone" and it would have been no harm no foul. Ugh.

Wow Im so sorry to hear that. Life will make him paid..leave all to karma.

#3 4 years ago

Who/Where in Florida?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from DK:

Who/Where in Florida?

Polk County....

#5 4 years ago

Hope you took a shit on his front porch.

#6 4 years ago

Wow. What a dick... not sure what I may have did..

#7 4 years ago

Wow. I'd probably go full psycho.

"Oh, you sold it?"
you sold it.gifyou sold it.gif

#8 4 years ago

this-is-not-nam-there-are-rules-6774052 (resized).pngthis-is-not-nam-there-are-rules-6774052 (resized).png

#9 4 years ago

Yup I feel your pain, been there done that years ago over a Safe Cracker. Told the guy I was coming from two+ hours away only to arrive and have his wife tell me that he sold the game to someone that was only ten minutes away......
Needless to say I drove the speed limit all the way home empty handed. What can you do??

John

#10 4 years ago

Been there. Used vacation time to leave work early at lunchtime, drove 3.5 hrs one way (calling before I left), and miraculously someone else "just happened to show up" and bought the machine while I was enroute.

Sorry to hear about your experience, but if you buy enough games, it will probably happen again.

Also worth noting, I've never had it happen to me with a pinsider, just FB/CL.

#11 4 years ago

That’s why I only work with fellow pinsiders with positive feedback. Never had an issue here.

#12 4 years ago

Damn that's brutal. What an asshole.

#13 4 years ago

I'm not a violent person but I think I would be in this situation. I'd at least be very vulgar and as hurtful with my words as I could. We're talking berating him based on physical and mental characteristics as well as any family members around. I'd find a way to get even. Especially anything over two hours of my time.

Thanks for boiling my blood.

#14 4 years ago

Wow that’s insane. I’m afraid of what I might have done in same situation.

#15 4 years ago

Modern society...no one is afraid to get their ass kicked anymore because no one can do it without going to jail. They have no fear of retribution. A good bitch slap would have been appropriate there.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Modern society...no one is afraid to get their ass kicked anymore because no one can do it without going to jail. They have no fear of retribution. A good bitch slap would have been appropriate there.

Yep, and even using the term bitch slap will get you in trouble, you misogynist

Disclaimer: I personally love the term bitch slap. It really gets the point across

#17 4 years ago

I would’ve risked the jail time.
Actually, I’m a little guy so I would’ve calmly opened my trunk, grabbed a crow bar, and took out his knees then bashed his teeth in with it. Then while he’s laying on the ground I would’ve tossed the money for the game on him and told him to clean him self up.

If only life could be like a Scorsese film...

#18 4 years ago

Unfortunately, not unusual.

#19 4 years ago

I feel your pain. I'm trying to sell a car ('93 Eldorado with only 61,500 miles, if anyone's interested!) on the FB Marketplace. A couple of weeks ago, a guy messaged me and told me he wanted to check it out and he would be paying cash. He agreed to meet me on a Sunday afternoon. I messaged him Saturday night and asked if we were still on, and he sent me a big thumbs-up. On Sunday, I went to get the car, drove it to our meeting spot, and waited. Half an hour passed. I messaged him asking if he was having trouble finding the place. I then watched in real time as he read the message, left the FB Marketplace message group, and blocked me. I'm still livid.

#20 4 years ago

Good old Polk county. I'm not surprised he sold it that late at night. That's when the meth is flowing in those parts. Lol.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

Good old Polk county. I'm not surprised he sold it that late at night. That's when the meth is flowing in those parts. Lol.

Truth man, Truth. Take every stereotype, and you'd complete a bingo card there.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from BRW84:

I feel your pain. I'm trying to sell a car ('93 Eldorado with only 61,500 miles, if anyone's interested!) on the FB Marketplace. A couple of weeks ago, a guy messaged me and told me he wanted to check it out and he would be paying cash. He agreed to meet me on a Sunday afternoon. I messaged him Saturday night and asked if we were still on, and he sent me a big thumbs-up. On Sunday, I went to get the car, drove it to our meeting spot, and waited. Half an hour passed. I messaged him asking if he was having trouble finding the place. I then watched in real time as he read the message, left the FB Marketplace message group, and blocked me. I'm still livid.

That sucks! I sold a truck on FB marketplace recently, and had some similar experiences. I just don't get it.

#23 4 years ago

FB marketplace is 25/25/25/25 for me some buy, some kick tires,some like to tell me they have better than what I'm selling, some just want to talk.

#24 4 years ago

Sadly that’s why I buy from friends and not “CL” anymore. I’ve never been burned but I would start a shit-show if it would ever happen

#25 4 years ago

Wow how do you sell the game while the guy is driving to pick it up. Low life move

#26 4 years ago

I'm betting he had another buyer lined up and talked him into paying more than the original price. The old I've got a guy coming to pick it up for $, but you can have it for $$

#27 4 years ago
Screenshot_20200209-021053~2 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200209-021053~2 (resized).png
#28 4 years ago

Just be glad it was not a full day wasted.

#29 4 years ago

Well, you do have his address.
You can always send him an anonymous gift such as this.

https://poopsenders.com

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

OMG LOL. I had no idea that was a thing. *thinks evil thoughts*

#31 4 years ago

That sucks and I would of given him hell! But on the bright side that lower cabinet you bought from me will arrive after Pinfest. If you want a 2nd Playboy see:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91626

That could get delivered as well...….

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from tomdrum:

That sucks and I would of given him hell! But on the bright side that lower cabinet you bought from me will arrive after Pinfest. If you want a 2nd Playboy see:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/91626
That could get delivered as well...….

Some heroes don't wear capes...

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

That's some expensive shit!!

#34 4 years ago

I will not even bother with FB or CL if its a distance away. If its more than a half hour drive I will not even attempt to buy the item, no matter how good of a deal it may be. If I was in your situation, there is a lot that I would have wanted to do, but sadly there are laws against all of it, so I would have ended up doing nothing. And there is no Karma in a situation like this for the seller. The person was a dick, had zero inconvenience in relation to your attempt to buy his machine, and sold his item. It was fine for him, and I am sorry that it sucked for you. That is why people don't care. As long as they get what they want after placing an ad, to hell with anyone else.

I could not do this though. Lets say someone was driving to my place to buy an item under a false assumption that it was still available, and that potential buyer got into an accident and was injured or worse, I could not live with that on my conscience.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
San Diego, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

2,900 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Macomb, MI
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Coffs Harbour, NS

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fb-marketplace-bs-or-how-i-wasted-1-2-a-day-driving-today?hl=delt31 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.