Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mbaumle
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 39 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-4 (resized).jpg
image-13 (resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image-6_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
Embryon_(resized).jpg
p3_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpeg
image-6_(resized).jpg
4roses_(resized).jpg
ss_lowerpf_(resized).jpg
image-8_(resized).jpg
20150418_172043_(resized).jpg
image-7_(resized).jpg
image-3_(resized).jpg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

I was thinking about alternative "bottom" layouts that could possibly be made as a lower playfield module for the Multimorphic P3.

What's your favorite alternative "bottom" layout?

Here's three that I think look interesting, but I've never played any of them:

Viking:
Viking_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

Spirit:
Spirit_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

Road Runner:
Road_Runner_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

Stargazer has no inlanes and half loops you can lob off a backhand

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2346&picno=32345&zoom=1

#3 3 years ago

I like this thread. There are a bunch that add so much to the game. Even simple opening on Jacks Open making ball trapping a risk.

Although I don't like Future Spa overall. It had a lot of cool stuff thrown on a game just not put together well. Take a look at the lanes, gates and passage on that one.

#4 3 years ago

I can't remember the names but several pins had a pop between the flippers

#5 3 years ago

Is that Road Runner trying to reward you for schatzing the inlane? That's pretty cool.

#6 3 years ago

I kind of like Gold Wings. It's a little crowded though. It might have worked better with a wide body.

image-8_(resized).jpg

#7 3 years ago

Holy hell, it took me a minute or two to see the wire guides leading to the main flippers on Spirit... at first I thought there was nothing behind the flipper which would have meant no cradling AND brutal timing, in exchange for the outlane flippers giving you the chance to score, or save by escaping out behind the sling... DAMN what a devious design that would be! I know that game is rare as heck and I'll probably never get to see or play one.... but has anyone ever tried it without the wire guide?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Holy hell, it took me a minute or two to see the wire guides leading to the main flippers on Spirit... at first I thought there was nothing behind the flipper which would have meant no cradling AND brutal timing, in exchange for the outlane flippers giving you the chance to score, or save by escaping out behind the sling... DAMN what a devious design that would be! I know that game is rare as heck and I'll probably never get to see or play one.... but has anyone ever tried it without the wire guide?

Never tried it, but it doesn't actually roll up that far very often

Spirit's outlanes are great, complete opposite of normal outlanes. They're hard to get the ball into, and you actually *want* to get the ball in the outlanes, since that's where the multiball is.

I love all kinds of weird outlanes, anything that lets you have another chance at saving the ball, and especially if it's not something you have to 'earn' (like a kickback).

Another one with cool outlanes/inlanes is Fireball 2:
image-14_(resized).jpg

I also really enjoy Skateball's, especially if you've got the left one-way gate removed:
image-7_(resized).jpg

Pop bumpers over the outlanes (like Future Spa, Paragon, etc) are also fun

#9 3 years ago

I like the layout of Gottlieb's Torch. The rubber posts give you a chance to nudge/shake the ball out of a possible drain. A good game to practice your drop catch technique

Torch_Flippers_(resized).jpg

#10 3 years ago

First game I thought of was Spanish Eyes. Thought I would hate this game but really got in to the groove trying to nudge when down at that bottom pop hoping to get back up to the flippers.

spanisheyes2_(resized).jpg

#11 3 years ago

A few that have been mentioned:

Stargazer:

Stargazer_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

Jacks Open:

Jacks_Open_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

Future Spa:

Future_Spa_lower_playfield_(resized).jpg

Paragon:

Paragon_lower_playfield_(resized).JPG

#12 3 years ago

Blackwater 100?

image-10_(resized).jpg

#13 3 years ago

Old Chicago..... NO slings & those two pop bumpers down low

image-B_(resized).jpg

#14 3 years ago

Dungeons and dragons. ( or hard bodies). The outlanes turn into inlanes with the second button

image_(resized).jpeg

#15 3 years ago

Jungle Queen has no slingshots but it has an extra set of mini-flippers.

image_(resized).jpeg

#16 3 years ago

Space Mission has kickers instead of slingshots.

image_(resized).jpeg

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Hulk also.

#18 3 years ago

Love the outlane/inland swap on Fathom

#19 3 years ago

Medusa does not look like much. But it acts like Skateball. When you try and save it you end up screwing yourself. Sometimes its best to leave the ball. And it has the shield kicker between the flippers.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1565&picno=52779&zoom=1

Volcano has a manual ball save kicker when lit on the left. On the right a gate can be opened, if not you have a slight chance of using the post to get it back. Nowhere as easy to use as on Centaur.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2742&picno=6692&zoom=1

Lost world has a couple of interesting outlane posts and openings.

http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=789&picno=17140&zoom=1

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

Medusa does not look like much. But it acts like Skateball. When you try and save it you end up screwing yourself. Sometimes its best to leave the ball. And it has the shield kicker between the flippers.

Agree with this...very tricky outlanes.

Quoted from wxforecaster:

Love the outlane/inland swap on Fathom

A feature I would love to see come back.

#21 3 years ago

What's different about Jacks Open? It looks like a standard layout to me.

#22 3 years ago

Q-Bert and Time 2000 have interesting flipper arrangements.

Deadly Weapon and Sharpshooter have pop bumpers near the flippers

Contact has a kick out hole in the slingshot.

pasted_image_(resized).png

image-14_(resized).jpg

image-4_(resized).jpg

image-2_(resized).jpg

image-3_(resized).jpg

#23 3 years ago

I love my haunted house but sometimes I scratch my head over that layout. Its pretty weird

#24 3 years ago

I really like the bottom end of Vector.

image_(resized).jpeg

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

What's different about Jacks Open? It looks like a standard layout to me.

There is a gap in the metal wire allowing the ball to roll up and into the outlanes.There are also some rubber posts so that a skillful nudge will save the ball from draining.

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

There is a gap in the metal wire allowing the ball to roll up and into the outlanes.There are also some rubber posts so that a skillful nudge will save the ball from draining.

Similar to Grand Prix

Another cool one is Touchdown

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from stoptap:

I really like the bottom end of Vector.

I played a handful of games on Vector recently, that layout with the scoops just messes with my thought process....flusters me. No doubt it is unique

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Captive_Ball:

I played a handful of games on Vector recently, that layout with the scoops just messes with my thought process....flusters me. No doubt it is unique

I love it. It really encourages you to nudge the game to try and rescue the ball. However the lack of any tilt warnings is a double edged sword.

#32 3 years ago

Andromeda as well. Wiggler

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

Old Chicago..... NO slings & those two pop bumpers down low

Worked well on Jack in the Box too.

#34 3 years ago

Trade Winds is good.

image-7_(resized).jpg

#35 3 years ago

Possibly any Gottlieb 80b title. Very few traditional placements. I like Hollywood Heat. You have an upper return lane, outlane, and in lane on the left

Also have to agree with Gold Wings.

20150418_172043_(resized).jpg

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from GLSP3022:

Possibly any Gottlieb 80b title. Very few traditional placements.

Or really any 40s or 50s era Gottlieb. When traditional meant mostly all different.

Including one of my favorites-Frontiersman.

image-8_(resized).jpg

#37 3 years ago

Magic Castle is pretty darn cool

#38 3 years ago

Space Station has a different layout that makes trapping a bit more difficult.

ss_lowerpf_(resized).jpg

#40 3 years ago

4 Roses has a slightly different lower playfield that makes cradling the ball very difficult.

4roses_(resized).jpg

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Hi-Fi:

Skill Pool has kickers as well as slingshots.

image-6_(resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago

No Spy Hunter love in here? Sheesh.

2 weeks later
#43 3 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

No Spy Hunter love in here? Sheesh.

I got to play a Spy Hunter for the first time this weekend and it was just brutal!

1 week later
#44 3 years ago

Devil's Dare has an extra flipper button on the left that controls the left outlane kicker. You only get one chance (until you earn another ball save) and timing can be a bitch on fast balls.

image_(resized).jpeg

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from pinster68:

Devil's Dare has an extra flipper button on the left that controls the left outlane kicker. You only get one chance (until you earn another ball save) and timing can be a bitch on fast balls.

The super steep slings on Devil's Dare, Time Line, and Spirit also bear pointing out as a more subtle way to really change up the gameplay

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The super steep slings on Devil's Dare, Time Line, and Spirit also bear pointing out as a more subtle way to really change up the gameplay

Point. I really like the behavior with the slings. It puts a lot of action in front of the flippers and for the in/outlanes. Devil's Dare is such a sleeper ... great art and gameplay.

1 month later
#47 2 years ago

Awesome thread! I've been thinking about this myself and the P3 in the preview video shows a cool alternative lower playfield.

Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more development in this area. Every new pin seems to have the same layout with the two slingshots and standard outlanes especially Stern.

p3_(resized).png

#48 2 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

Honestly, I'm surprised there isn't more development in this area. Every new pin seems to have the same layout with the two slingshots and standard outlanes especially Stern.

Even back in the 90s, Williams advised their designers not to mess with the standard layout, especially on widebodies

#49 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Even back in the 90s, Williams advised their designers not to mess with the standard layout, especially on widebodies

Why? Seems like it would just keep things stagnant.

We see differing upper playfields all the time. I'd love to see some creativity on the bottom playfield.

Gottlieb had some cool stuff that definitely was different.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Florham Park, NJ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Euclid, OH
1,100 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Marshall, MI
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside