(Topic ID: 42835)

Favorite Ward Pemberton design (with poll)

By SilverUnicorn

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by spiroagnew
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Favorite Ward Pembertom game?”

• Fathom 38 votes
      36%
    • BMX 2 votes
      2%
    • Dungeons & Dragons 7 votes
      7%
    • Hardbody 0 votes
    • Mousin' Around 38 votes
      36%
    • Goldeneye 9 votes
      8%
    • Riverboat Gambler 5 votes
      5%
    • Gilligan's Island 8 votes
      7%

(107 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1148_(resized).JPG
    #1 11 years ago

Sadly, often overlooked. May not be the deepest games, but many are quite fun!

What is your favorite?

Visually, I would certainly have to say Fathom (Greg Freres artwork)
    Play wise, I have always enjoyed Mousin' Around very much.

Chris

#2 11 years ago

I own 3 of the games by Ward.
    Fathom, BMX and Hardbody.
    Fathom is probably a better game all around (including artwork package)
    but i have a fondness for BMX.

cheers tom

#3 11 years ago

Sorry for Ward but he peaked right out of the gate. BMX and Mousin' Around are good games, I agree. But Fathom, even without the art package, is a great game. All of the drop targets, the inline targets, the spinner, just a great design. Even non-pinheads enjoy that game.

Maybe some of us would have given Mousin Around a few more plays if it had a better art package too?

#4 11 years ago

Fathom is an all-time Top 5 pin for me.
    Bally's best IMHO.

#5 11 years ago

Who names their kid Ward?

Kim

#6 11 years ago

Now a Chicago firefighter. His parents and sister all worked at Bally on Belmont Avenue in Chicago.

#7 11 years ago

His late Dad's name was Warren. Parents chose these names in the 1950's.

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Who names their kid Ward?

Kim

Could they have been influenced by the show "Leave it to Beaver"?
    Ward Cleaver

cheers tom

#9 11 years ago

Fathom all day long. That game just keeps on giving. Mousin' Around is a decent deck, but needs a serious revision to the ruleset to keep the ramp in the center from dominating the game. I guess in some tourneys, they disable the ramp and the game balances out quite nicely. Hardbody is an incredibly underrated deck. Considering what there is to do on this deck, if you can find one for a good price and deal with the grfx package, consider it after a game or 3. I need to spend some serious time on Goldeneye before I'll make a real judgment about it. But I know of some players that I respect who think it's one of the better Sega titles.

Overall, I'd say Ward was a decent designer who had 1 great game. Now I gotta find me a Fathom!

#10 11 years ago

Ward did Goldeneye?????

Never knew that.

3 years later
    #11 8 years ago

Bumping 3 year old thread. Because Ward Pemberton.

Is he still around? What's he doing now?

#12 8 years ago

Riverboat and mousin.

Great layouts.

#13 8 years ago

Love some Fathom! Played this restored beauty at TPF last weekend. Played more of this game then anything else at the show. This picture was the highest score I was able to achieve.
    IMG_1148_(resized).JPGIMG_1148_(resized).JPG

#14 8 years ago

I'm curious what entails a designer's job. After listening to Trudeau's interview on the Flippin' Podcast, it sounded like he only did the layout of the table and moves on to the next project which means he doesn't influence art or rules. Of course this may vary by designer but are we giving to much credit to the designer? Is it more a cumulative effort between the artist, designer and programmer? If this is true, would the best way to judge a designer's work be how well a game shoots and try to not look at the art or rules?

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I'm curious what entails a designer's job. After listening to Trudeau's interview on the Flippin' Podcast, it sounded like he only did the layout of the table and moves on to the next project which means he doesn't influence art or rules. Of course this may vary by designer but are we giving to much credit to the designer? Is it more a cumulative effort between the artist, designer and programmer? If this is true, would the best way to judge a designer's work be how well a game shoots and try to not look at the art or rules?

I believe different designers contribute in their own ways with art and programming.

The way the game shoots and the rule set are linked greatly. Having one without the other can really hamper a game. Having just one of these will likely not put the game over the top. TWD was an okay game when it first game out...many just complanined about the repeditive shots aspect, but once the rules were fleshed out, many now believe it is a top 10 game. I really like TWD now...and didn't think much of it when it came out...they rules enhanced the layout. Just my 2 cents

#16 8 years ago

GI has to have THE best toy ever. revolving island is awesome.
    Is he working for HOMEPIN?

#17 8 years ago

I loved Mousin and Goldeneye, which I owned both at one time. Fathom is obviously brilliant, and is probably the best early Bally game out there in my book. I've always wanted to own GI even though people give it a hard time. I've always really enjoyed playing it.

1 week later
    #18 8 years ago

Seems like he did a lot of real inventive stuff.

I love the shots on this Dungeons & Dragons

#19 8 years ago

mousin around. tied with fathom.

4 months later
    #20 7 years ago

Fathom has been a favorite of mine since WAAYback.

This time around, I started my collection with known Ritchie titles- Black Knight, Firepower, and Big Guns (Technically a Ritchie Game , and, I have/have had a couple Kimek Games too- Old Chicago, Amigo, and Spy Hunter. I had Never heard of Pemberton before. r, but then I got a Mousin' around. I Still didn't realize who it was until after I got it home, and wondered who created this crazy game. Last week I got a Riverboat Gambler, and now I'm a Ritchie/Pemberton man! Sort of the way people used to be a Marlboro man. Sorry Greg, but your designs - with the exception of the OC, CF, and Xenon, weren't my cup of tea.

#21 7 years ago

Big fan of Mousin Around. Always likened Mr. Pemberton's designs to Dennis Nordman's. Really off-the-wall and unique, with splashes of the familiar.

Mr. Pemberton is a really personable guy. Like everyone in the pinball industry, he's always got time to chew the fat about pinball days gone by.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-ward-pemberton-design-with-poll-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.