61171590bc22787050c0b78d413e390d--orson-bean-twilight (resized).jpg
twilight-sone-wall-art (resized).jpg
The_Twilight_Zone_A_World_of_Difference_TV-172252244-mmed (resized).jpg
5189F116-5E28-4B1C-94DB-FE751B9FB70A (resized).jpeg
HerNameIs (resized).jpg
F332836D-AD04-41D5-A2DE-5DE5EF568AD8 (resized).jpeg
72DFC884-31B6-45B3-9279-9011FFFD530E (resized).jpeg
212878 (resized).jpg
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes. If Albert never got a life time achievement award, he deserves one post mortem.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0758692/

He is one of those character actors who guest starred in just about every long running TV show for a couple of decades, like Jonathan Goldsmith, who only became 'famous' when he was the 'most interesting man in the world" https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0326091/

#52 3 years ago

It might have even been Rawhide.

#53 3 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

like Jonathan Goldsmith, who only became 'famous' when he was the 'most interesting man in the world"

I equate him more to a guy like James Hong. Been in everything, but rarely had a starring role.

#54 3 years ago

Well, Hong may not have done an original Twilight Zone, but he did do a One Step Beyond and an Outer Limits.

hqdefault (resized).jpghqdefault (resized).jpg
#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Tomass:

What was the eposode where the character can push a button and someone random that he doesn't know will die and he gets a pile of cash or something. Had a great twist at the end. Haven't seen it since I was a kid.

That was Button, Button written by Richard Matheson. It was from the 80s Twilight Zone. Great episode.

#56 3 years ago

Here’s my homemade Mystic Seer on my bar. I used a shell on top of a Swami machine, so it takes pennies and tells your fortune.

“It has been decided in your favor”

C6F89B75-67A7-4A3A-A2AE-63EB2C00222F (resized).jpegC6F89B75-67A7-4A3A-A2AE-63EB2C00222F (resized).jpeg

#57 3 years ago

A couple that really hit me as a kid:

"The After Hours" where the woman shopper is being treated stranglely in the department store, finally discovering she is the "human for a day" and her day is over.

I can't remember the name but I liked the one where the child dissapeared and there was a interdimensional hole in the wall of the bedroom and they had to go through to get him.. special effects were weak but I really liked the story and it has been used many times since

Also, my favorite Night Gallery episode was the "Little Black Bag" with the doctors bag from the future with auto-healing knife. The guy cuts his throat expecting it to auto-heal but they sent the auto-destruct signal to the bag and the auto-heal function stopped working....still gives me chills.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from mark532011:

I can't remember the name but I liked the one where the child dissapeared and there was a interdimensional hole in the wall of the bedroom and they had to go through to get him..

Yes, that one was on last week. Forget the title, but it came to mind that the movie Poltergeist ripped it off.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yes, that one was on last week. Forget the title, but it came to mind that the movie Poltergeist ripped it off.

Bewitchin’ Pool. Even the music is similar.

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

Bewitchin’ Pool. Even the music is similar.

The very last TZ episode. There's an interesting back story to that episode as well. It's obvious that the young girl's voice is overdubbed; by none other than the famous voice actress, the late June Foray. She was best known for the voice of Rocket J. Squirrel from Rocky and Bullwinkle fame.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

by none other than the famous voice actress, the late June Foray. She was best known for the voice of Rocket J. Squirrel from Rocky and Bullwinkle fame.

Another fun fact: she was also the voice of Talking Tina.

#62 3 years ago

Twilight Zone was the first TV show I ever got really really into. Talk about a show that was way ahead of its time and a director/creator who wasn't afraid to bring up complicated subjects early on in TV.

Hard to say a favorite, but I'll list a few.

Looking back at the series as a whole I always broke it up into two categories: thrillers and commentaries.
For commentaries on modern society and all of its demons, I would say my two favorites are Se05Ep26 "I Am The Night - Color Me Black" and Se2Ep29 "The Obsolete Man". Both took on really heavy subjects and the presentation of their stories really appealed to me as a kid. I was always a fan of episodes that took place in one setting over a fairly linear-simple timeline. Both of these

For thriller episodes, I'd have to say Se3Ep8 "It's a Good Life", Se5Ep6 "Living Doll". I could watch over and over and over and over again. It's A Good Life has the power of a feature length film in a tv length package. Living Doll scared the absolute hell out of me.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

...the voice of Talking Tina.

"TALKY" dammit!!!

#64 3 years ago

What more can be said about child actor Billy Mumy's body of work?

download (3).jpegdownload (3).jpeg55fa2a53f845b90b4b45fdd9ed6199dd.gif55fa2a53f845b90b4b45fdd9ed6199dd.gif
#65 3 years ago

“A Stop at Willoughby” is my favorite.

#66 3 years ago

Third from the Sun
On Thursday we leave for home
Shadow Play
To Serve Man (the Simpsons parody of this is hilarious)
Valley of the Shadow

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from spidey:

Shadow Play

Classic indeed, love that ep.
I met Dennis Weaver once.... nice guy
I imagine Odin washed his balls or something?

#68 3 years ago

I'll make an effort to watch "A Hundred Yards Over the Rim" any time they show it.

MV5BZmUwNjM2NjQtOWViNi00Mzc1LWE1YzMtOTkzNjE3OWNjN2Y2L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BZmUwNjM2NjQtOWViNi00Mzc1LWE1YzMtOTkzNjE3OWNjN2Y2L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDgyNjA5MA@@._V1_ (resized).jpg
#69 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Odin is right the Grave is an excellent episode. Lee van Cleef and roscoe p Coltrane steal the show.

Actually it was Elen Willard that stole that show.

27 (resized).jpg27 (resized).jpg

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Actually it was Elen Willard that stole that show.
[quoted image]

Yes, and she also starred in one of my favorite One Step Beyond episodes; "To Know the End".

#71 3 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Julie Newmar. She's quite a dish

I just watched her in a Columbo episode. Damn

I don't the name of the episode but it was when the Nazi camp leader goes back to the camp which is haunted. great.
I like them all.

#72 3 years ago

If you have a thing for Julie Newmar, MacKenna's Gold starring Gregory Peck is a must see movie. Even without her, it is a must see movie.

Screenshot_13743 (resized).pngScreenshot_13743 (resized).png
#73 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What more can be said about child actor Billy Mumy's body of work?[quoted image][quoted image]

"Danger...Will Robinson!"

#74 3 years ago

The Shelter inspired me to write a book and build a fallout shelter.
Also the one where all the Civil War soldiers are coming home, (the road?_

#75 3 years ago

“A Hundred Yards Over the Rim”

BE75388B-7C1B-4682-8DE5-0C88DA126FEE (resized).jpegBE75388B-7C1B-4682-8DE5-0C88DA126FEE (resized).jpeg
#76 3 years ago

“A Game of Pool”

C6C63CD9-FCFC-4AA6-9969-5CA522AAC3E2 (resized).jpegC6C63CD9-FCFC-4AA6-9969-5CA522AAC3E2 (resized).jpeg
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

“A Hundred Yards Over the Rim”

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

“A Game of Pool”

These are both episodes I love that I always forget about. Especially the later. What great acting in A Game Of Pool.

#78 3 years ago

So many
Walking distance.
Even as a kid in the 70s it left an impact

The silence, the spooky (even now) living doll, nightmare at 20k feet, the brilliant "hitch hiker".

Must go back and rewatch a few.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Trying to remember the episode on last night that inspired this thread

the 7th is made up of phantoms (resized).pngthe 7th is made up of phantoms (resized).png
#80 3 years ago

“A Stop at Willoughby”

F053E5C8-2638-4492-9F0B-54A7F95001AB (resized).jpegF053E5C8-2638-4492-9F0B-54A7F95001AB (resized).jpeg
#81 3 years ago

Walking Distance with Gig Young and Frank Overton.

73a9afca265561b8306077c00452ca59 (resized).png73a9afca265561b8306077c00452ca59 (resized).pngtwilight-zone-walking-distance (resized).jpgtwilight-zone-walking-distance (resized).jpg
#82 3 years ago
b791e81d80845c44b591ebcf921c1301--russell-johnson-twilight (resized).jpgb791e81d80845c44b591ebcf921c1301--russell-johnson-twilight (resized).jpg
#83 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

What great acting in A Game Of Pool.

Klugman always brings it. Great speech in "A passage for Trumpet" also.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

What more can be said about child actor Billy Mumy's body of work?[quoted image][quoted image]

Not only was he in 2 of the greatest TZ episodes ever, he was Lennier on Babylon 5, and perhaps most spectactularly: also introduced Weird Al to his wife Suzanne! Hollywood.

Favorites: the usuals, but also "A World of His Own" starring Keenen Wynn, and a couple you may not have seen:

"Requiem for a Heavyweight" - a pre-TZ episode of Playhouse 90. It's a TZ through and through. Awesome -LIVE- acting by Keenan and his son Ed. Also Rod's favorite thing he ever wrote.

Finally:

"The Time Element" - this was the pilot to the Twilight Zone, specifically shown to measure interest in the show, aired as part of Westinghouse Desilu Theater. (Yep, Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball are responding for the original Twilight Zone's entire run)

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

For me, any TV show or movie with Albert Salmi in it is a win.[quoted image][quoted image]

Or as Danny's dad in Caddyshack...

#86 3 years ago

The only set of episodes from the series I'm really not familiar with is the 4th season when they switched to hour long episodes. Really disrupted their rhythm. Anybody have any favorites from that stretch of episodes?

#87 3 years ago

I cannot remember the episode name, but Ed Wynn out wits the devil to save a little girls life.

#88 3 years ago

Gig Young and Albert Salmi, were both a couple of tortured souls, it seems. Both good actors..Salmi was more of a career character actor, where Young was a leading man early on in his career.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from elcolonel:

I cannot remember the episode name, but Ed Wynn out wits the devil to save a little girls life.

"One for the Angels"! I forgot about that episode. I remember the name because Murray Hamilton is also in it, who plays Mayor Vaughn in Jaws.

#90 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

The only set of episodes from the series I'm really not familiar with is the 4th season when they switched to hour long episodes. Really disrupted their rhythm. Anybody have any favorites from that stretch of episodes?

There aren't a lot. Season 4 isn't even carried on some of the streaming services - I think Netflix skips it altogether. Robert Duvall is in an episode called "Miniature" which is really good just as a story - the twist at the end you can kind of see coming, but it's a VERY well done episode. Also, the last Burgess Meredith episode is pretty good, where he's a newspaper printer. There's also the episode (I don't know the titles of this season very well) with the wax dummies. Saw that later on in "Gravity Falls" LOL.

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

The New Exhibit was awesome, easily my favorite of the 1-hour episodes with a wicked twist ending.

A museum curator brings some very lifelike wax statues of famous killers into his basement. Then the murders begin...

Those wax statues totally freaked me out as a kid. Great stuff!
39E34E4E-179E-43B6-B49E-8A1A466E53DC (resized).jpeg39E34E4E-179E-43B6-B49E-8A1A466E53DC (resized).jpeg

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The New Exhibit

Oh yeah this one is wild. I totally forgot this was season 4. Totally crazy episode, but one that I always felt would have fit into the 1/2 hour slot just fine.

The ones I remember heavily are "Shadow Of The Valley" which was a little farfetched but used the hour well. Took a story that really wouldn't have played out properly in such a short time. "Mute" I also remember which was pretty intense.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I think Netflix skips it altogether

I think the reason these got skipped in the streaming services is because there was a contractual distribution change when the episodes initially aired that still caries over into present day. My memory is a little foggy on the details.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I can’t watch those. Too long, and the single camera / video tape format just looks awful. I bought the dvd set years ago and skipped that whole
Season.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Too long, and the single camera / video tape format just looks awful.

The video tape format wasn't exclusively for the 4th season. That was season 2. It was a cost slashing restriction that CBS put on the producers because the show was going way over budget consistently. The results were so bad that CBS gave in and allowed their tech budget to boost back up to a whopping $65k per episode.

#96 3 years ago

I feel like I'm living in my "least" favorite episode these days.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I feel like I'm living in my "least" favorite episode these days.

2020: The Year That Wouldn’t Die

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I equate him more to a guy like James Hong. Been in everything, but rarely had a starring role.

One of the most recognizable face and voices in Hollywood, even if few know his name. He was a great advocate asian actors in Hollywood and trying to break the barriers preventing them from having leading roles. Crazy thing is here has been one of the most productive actors of all time, but he did not appear in 'Crazy Rich Asians', the biggest Hollywood hit featuring asian actors, and one no doubt he ultimately helped make happen though of all of his work in helping asian actors over the decades. Six degrees of Kevin Bacon, betting it is more like three degrees with James Hong.

CNN just did a story on him . ..

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/02/entertainment/james-hong-actor-movie-credits-trnd/index.html

#99 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Not only was he in 2 of the greatest TZ episodes ever, he was Lennier on Babylon 5, and perhaps most spectactularly: also introduced Weird Al to his wife Suzanne! Hollywood.

Prior to that he taught us about gun safety on Alfred Hitchcock's "Bang You're Dead".
download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg

#100 3 years ago

"Two"

34aa7fea7e1808ef2c1d64bcda81e397 (resized).jpg34aa7fea7e1808ef2c1d64bcda81e397 (resized).jpg
There are 139 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-twilight-zone-episodes/page/2?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.