Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by TheLaw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

What is your favorite skill shot? Secret, super secret, or other. Mine has to be the outlane on Iron Maiden...20 mill with just one plunge feels pretty dang rewarding... and if you miss and hit the inlane, you're still good for 10 mill!

#2 3 years ago

deadpool. either to the katana or the snkkt. Feels awesome when you do it.

#3 3 years ago

Don’t we have multiple threads on this already?

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Don’t we have multiple threads on this already?

Probably... I just hadn't seen one.

#5 3 years ago

I kinda like the motorized one in Millionaire.

#6 3 years ago

Super Skill Shot on Congo.

#7 3 years ago

There have been multiple threads on darn near everything around here, so who cares if there is another on something fun to discuss.

My favorite has to be Stern JP, with its multiple stages. I just hit the MXV for the first time the other day (left ramp, right ramp, upper loop, raptor tower) which was awesome. I have hit the Ultra Super a couple times (left ramp, right ramp, raptor tower, O lane). Few shot sequences are so satisfying! Plus what, three different secret skill shots if you short plunge instead? Awesome.

I also love the variety of skill shots in AIQ, especially the secret rolling down the upper loop for that sweet portal lock. I hope they add a couple multiple stage ones like JP has. It would be easy to do with all the combos in this game. Even if it's just building on the Tower super skill shot to add the Gauntlet Ramp for double, Gauntlet plus upper loop for triple.

Mustang is another great one. Hold left flipper to allow a full plunge orbit. Then hit the scoop for 2M points, or the strobing lit drop target for 1M points. Time it to hit the center drop when its lit for 1M PLUS 2 gears towards multiball! That's huge, and not easy to pull off with both catching/controlling the ball and timing the hit. It also has a normal lane skill shot, plus a "sneak in" skill shot lane from a controlled plunge. This game overall doesn't get enough credit for its awesome ruleset (and unique layout for that matter). Very underrated.

I also really love plunging directly into the scoop for the super on Stranger Things. I haven't pulled off the MXV of hitting the lit strobing drop target and banking it into the scoop. I'm not sure it's possible on my machine.

TMNT's is an interesting take, having a different shot for each turtle, and then having that light Weapon hurry-up so it becomes kind of an extension of the skill shot. I'm not sure it really feels like a skill shot with how much time they give you though. It's not easy (Leo especially) even with the time given though, don't get me wrong. It feels even less like a skill shot since you can also get a top lane skill shot (on the pro at least), and the timer for the "turtle" skill shot doesn't start until after its out of the pops. And then you also have the option of holding the left flipper to allow a full orbit. But that seems to do nothing for you, so I'm not sure why you would. It's a bit confusing overall exactly what they were going for in the code there. Hopefully it will be flushed out a bit more in a future update. If not, still fun, and a unique take on a skill shot.

Most any game that allows the left flipper hold to open up a plunge orbit and hit a good shot for a super skill shot is satisfying for me. Metallica has a great twist on it instantly lighting the inserts for hurry-up on the lit shot, and also if set up correctly allowing a simple dead bounce to go right in the scoop. Star Trek's and especially Deadpool's version of the left button full plunge skill shot are also very satisfying.

One last mention, I also really love games with upper flippers that allow a short plunge to upper flipper skill shot. X-Men is the best with three different ones from hitting either Storm, Rogue, or Xavier (not likely from upper, but possible), each with different character cameos and different point amounts. Spider-Man to Venom and Star Trek to Warp Ramp are good examples of this one too.

Basically, anything other than a boring lane change "skill shot" is all good with me! I'm not a huge fan of the timed launch button shot from the old days either. Data East JP or SW, etc at least had something themed. The B/W like ST:TNG or NF where you just timed what award you wanted were super lame.

Oh! A couple more...going old school. Fireball and Four Million BC! Slightly different implementations, but basically the higher up you go, the more points it's worth, but too high and you fall off the end. Freaking brilliant (especially for their time) and fun.

#8 3 years ago

Objectively, the best is Pinball Magic's hat drop.

Personally, I appreciate any skill shot that doesn't involve the top lanes, with TOTAN's snake-basket and ramp super being my favorite.

I also enjoy the challenge of Stern JP's 3-way combo super-duper skillshot.

#9 3 years ago

Don't let the haters say we have a thread on this from 6 years ago.

And the right answer is TAF with an unskilled shot into the swamp. "Good thinking!" as Gomez says. You can do it 1000x and it always feels good.

#10 3 years ago

IMDN soft plunge to left flipper followed by a bullet to bullseye !! It’s not 20 mil only 6 but I’ll give up the 14 for the rush

#11 3 years ago

Rob Zombie. Nothing like hitting that "1" sling in the perfect spot and watching the ball stairstep up to the pops for a free lit EB. Unlimited timer lets you recover partial shots and creatively finish it off with a flipper shot (as long as no other switches are hit).

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Plus what, three different secret skill shots if you short plunge instead? Awesome.

What is the third? Asking for a friend ... Control room, amber,?

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Metallica has a great twist on it instantly lighting the inserts for hurry-up on the lit shot, and also if set up correctly allowing a simple dead bounce to go right in the scoop.

Heck yeah! I discovered this shot when rebooting the game with a ball already in the plunger. One of those "wait a minute" moments.

#15 3 years ago

One time I got the Super Duper Skill Shot on Stern POTC and that felt great. I still haven't got all three hits on Rob Zombie. I hope one day I get to play an Arena because that one looks fun.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Purdue:

What is the third? Asking for a friend ... Control room, amber,?

Control Room (C), Amber Target (Smart Missile Target), and Right orbit (O). The wiki on Tilt Forum mentions a fourth being the Amber Target from the RIGHT flipper (!) for double the points, a much longer ball save, and amber value vs from the left. My mind boggles at that being possible though, LOL! It would have to be a very lucky bounce or maybe graze off of the truck or the gate post? Plus how would the game know it was off the right flipper, unless maybe any flip from the left flipper negates it? That Elwin guy really thinks of everything!

#17 3 years ago

Taxi - it’s a real skill shot off the plunge, and is very rewarding both in gameplay and mentally.
    Honorable mentions for me are wwh2o, fireball, and adams

#18 3 years ago

The hole-in-one on No Good Gofers is a great one.

#big-guns has a very challenging ss. Fireball is one of my favorites.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jediturtle:

Control Room (C), Amber Target (Smart Missile Target), and Right orbit (O). The wiki on Tilt Forum mentions a fourth being the Amber Target from the RIGHT flipper (!) for double the points, a much longer ball save, and amber value vs from the left. My mind boggles at that being possible though, LOL! It would have to be a very lucky bounce or maybe graze off of the truck or the gate post? Plus how would the game know it was off the right flipper, unless maybe any flip from the left flipper negates it? That Elwin guy really thinks of everything!

Thanks!

Ya that right flipper one is something like 12 second ball save and 20 mil if i remember.

#20 3 years ago

Maiden has some great ones, and the one on Riverboat Gambler definitely requires some skill to get it perfect.

#21 3 years ago

rob zombie, stern JP, Dialed in, maverick

#23 3 years ago

So many to choose from.
    Personal favorites:

Fireball (1972) Uphill Ramp Shot.
    Medusa (1981) Light Gorgons
    Mr. and Ms. Pac-Man Pinball Saucer shot. Probably one of the most difficult skill shots ever.

#24 3 years ago

TNA has a great skill shot(making “lit” lane without moving it.)
    Making that shot is huge in advancing through reactors.
    This is the only skill shot in pinball that I take very seriously.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Chetrico:

oops... please don't put me on some kind of super secret pinsider probation for this.

Never! That's only old members whom do it

#26 3 years ago

Maverick. A skill shot has never been more important in any game. There are 4 (arguably 5). Hitting each one at the right time is the secret to Grand Champion scores and reaching the Poker Championship.

#27 3 years ago

I’m going to pull this with my friends. “Dan, we discussed the weather in 2014. Let’s not do it again.”

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

I’m going to pull this with my friends. “Dan, we discussed the weather in 2014. Let’s not do it again.”

Classic internet horrible analogy; check.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-skill-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.