(Topic ID: 19418)

Favorite pin with bad theme

By Dewey68

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

I searched for a similar thread but didn't find one that fits this exact description. What is your favorite playing pin with a bad theme, a "guilty pleasure" perhaps. I haven't played them all by far, but so far mine is Rollergames. I've got mine playing pretty nicely now. The magnet is catching the ball every time it's active and the upper flipper is making the ramp shot 100% of the time. The artwork is pure '80's cheese, and the "kick butt" song after hitting the jackpot or getting your initials on the board is hilariously cheesy, but damnit if this game isn't fast and fun! It is my only Steve Ritchie pin and sitting next to TSPP they are polar opposites.

#2 11 years ago

Hah, that's mine too. When I read your thread title I immediately thought Rollergames. Never owned it, but am keeping an eye out.

#3 11 years ago

Mine would have to be Johnny Mnemonic and Last Action Hero (Both themes that no one cares for but I enjoy gameplay on both)

#4 11 years ago

^ So I invite you over to my house and play my games and you bash my Johnny Mnemonic, huh?

I actually LIKE the theme. I've read a fair share of William Gibson stories, and I think the pin captures the cyberpunk essence perfectly. While the movie itself sucks ass, the pin is great for what it is. I even found myself re-watching the movie after getting the pin, and being disappointed that the machine's cool techno music wasn't in the film.

As for a pinball I really like with a horrid theme, my vote would have to be for Baywatch. I can't stand the beach-bimbo TV show, but the pinball is fun as hell.

Later,
    EV

#5 11 years ago

#6 11 years ago

Jungle Lord. Can't beat the gameplay if you like early 80's SS machines.

#7 11 years ago

Everyone seems to hate the TS theme (doesn't bother me, I have never played a back glass/trans lite yet) so I have to say TS

#8 11 years ago

Flintstones because they based it on the movie. I have not seen the movie and the story the game tells is incomprehensible to me. Did Fred lose his job and is he possibly the inventor of concrete? Why do I have to give someone a burger, cola, and fries? Is that the guy from Dune on the pf? Who is playing in that band and am I supposed to be knocking them down? Why can't Fred decide between A, B, and C (and why should he?)

Super fun game tho.

#9 11 years ago

World Cup Soccer a lot of people dont like that theme(I am ok with it) or No Good Gofers(again like it myself)

#10 11 years ago

Recurring answer, but Johnny Mnemonic for me by a landslide.

#11 11 years ago

Rollergames is a great theme! If there weren't a pin based on that show, I'd have never owned a pin!

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Rollergames WAS a great theme! If there weren't a pin based on that show, I'd have never owned a pin!

There, fixed it for you. I had to look the show up on Youtube to know it existed. That was right when I was entering the workforce and did a lot of travelling, so I wasn't watching a lot of TV.

#13 11 years ago

TSPP AND FAMILY GUY. great pins bad themes for me

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

TSPP AND Family Guy. greatb pins bad themes for me

Wow, I'd say both of those are good themes, but to each their own!

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Erik:

Flintstones because they based it on the movie. I have not seen the movie and the story the game tells is incomprehensible to me. Did Fred lose his job and is he possibly the inventor of concrete? Why do I have to give someone a burger, cola, and fries? Is that the guy from Dune on the pf? Who is playing in that band and am I supposed to be knocking them down? Why can't Fred decide between A, B, and C (and why should he?)

This post made me laugh out loud. The way you explain it makes it seem so WTF. The movie sucks. You might be better to just make us the story in your head. Actually Fred takes over the entire Dune universe.

#16 11 years ago

of the widely hated pins....

SF2 its not as bad to play as it look at it

#17 11 years ago

Demolition Man (although I actually kinda like the movie in a funny way). Dope flow.

#18 11 years ago

Ripleys Believe It Or Not

#19 11 years ago

NF

There's plenty of games that aren't the best concept to me, WCS, I500, Nascar, but are great games.

#20 11 years ago

Night Moves cocktail...

Now, if I can ever find one to buy...I am going to drive my wife NUTS with that music!

#21 11 years ago

Hey,

The Shadow. People will get mine when I find a nicer one or I drop dead.

Luke

#22 11 years ago

Here's a little secret. The ladies? Don't have a problem with The Shadow back glass...

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rabscuttle:

Here's a little secret. The ladies? Don't have a problem with The Shadow back glass...

Thoughtless little pigs is how he sees them though.

#24 11 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Thoughtless little pigs is how he sees them though.

How dare you talk that way about Alec Baldwin and Tim Curry?! Oh wait...

#25 11 years ago

Wait... Tim Curry is on the pin?! Crap, now I've got to find one.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Blondetall, yeah, I meant to tell you, not only that but he has loads of audio, including a laugh that ends in a snort.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Everyone seems to hate the TS theme (doesn't bother me, I have never played a back glass/trans lite yet) so I have to say TS

Hey wait one New York minute there Gorilla boy. The Shadow movie may be bad but the theme is assuredly not! He's a great old, time honored, dark crime fighting superhero from the golden age of radio and silver screen. So take that!

Other than that, I have nothin.

#28 11 years ago

Demolition Man.

#29 11 years ago

BBH what a horrid theme. I've said it before but I think if stern would have made this thier zombie pin it would have been a huge hit.

#30 11 years ago

I'm thinking its going to be WOZ for me (I won't be buying one but I know a few people who are and I'll get to play it) , From everything I've seen it seems as though its going to be a great game . But for me the theme is just horrible , I knew I didn't like the movie but when I heard of this game coming out I thought well maybe This movie is better than I thought so I recently tried watching it again and it was worse than I remembered . I wish they would have done original artwork based on the book it could have been so much better .

#31 11 years ago

BBH (never have hunted and do not have any interest in trying it) and Nascar (people actually watch cars go around in circles for hours?). Strangely enough my two favorite pins right now.

#32 11 years ago

Johnny mnemonic is my hands down winner for great pin bad theme.
    Hoping woz with replace it.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It is amazing how many people don't care for WOZ but think it will be a good game. There is so much hype, I don't know how it can possibly live up to it.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

It is amazing how many people don't care for WOZ but think it will be a good game. There is so much hype, I don't know how it can possibly live up to it.

A lot of hype because its taking forever for this thing to come out . JJP really should have waited a year into this project before saying anything about anything . People have been waiting so long their imaginations are taking over ( I think its going to be good based on what I've seen) But when will we really find out if its good or not . This is where Stern trumps JJP, people start questioning what their next game will be there's a rumor that its Xmen and then it seems like a month later Xmen is done and being released , less hype doesn't really have to live up to anything (heres the game no speculation what do you think?). WOZ so much time so much hype if its not the greatest playing game ever it might be considered a flop.

#35 11 years ago

Wow, took forever for WOZ to make this list.

#36 11 years ago

WWF, I hate wrestling but love my pin.

I saw a few say DM, I agree with them it is a great pin but I think the them is good as well. It was very well thought out and funny. The best part is it is not really like any other movie I remember.

WOZ, don't have play to base it on yet and I think from a business view with the movies coming out it was a very good call. The movie is going to be thrust back into the spotlight soon and JJP will actually has the pin out before the movie it is licensed for. Little different than we are used to.

#38 11 years ago

Rollergames for me! The layout intrigued me the first time I saw it, but the music was a WTF... then the music wouldn't get out of my head... now I'm hooked The jackpot theme is by far my favorite in the game, it's very 90s nostalgic for me

Rock Rock Rock'n Rollergames!

I like NGG as well, but I wouldn't call it a hated theme ??? It seems like a solid B/B+ Lawlor game no?

Red & Ted, however, I can see people hating. But it's another great game I want in my collection

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jgel:

Fred takes over the entire Dune universe.

The spice will not flow from Arrakis when Fred kills the Kwisatz Haderach.

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

Tim Curry is also on Congo, with speech!

#41 11 years ago

For me its RS, the theme isn't so bad in my eyes, moreso others. I'm not a country music fan by any means and when the Jackpot music comes on its actually one country song I don't mind. The game also is very deep and has alot of good shots, funny lines from Red & Ted throughout and tons to do. Definitely very underrated game IMO. Favorite quote from Ted "I feel like I've been rode hard and put away wet" the first time I heard that I was cracking up!

#42 11 years ago

rollergames but I actually like the cheesiness.

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doot77:

For me its RS, the theme isn't so bad in my eyes, moreso others. I'm not a country music fan by any means and when the Jackpot music comes on its actually one country song I don't mind. The game also is very deep and has alot of good shots, funny lines from Red & Ted throughout and tons to do. Definitely very underrated game IMO.

I agree with this as well.

Wasn't sure how to respond to the OP's question. "Bad theme" is in the eye of the beholder, and I don't think the theme of RS is that bad, so is this really the correct answer for me, or are we to go by what the general perception is?

For me the worst theme for a pin that plays great is Wheel of Fortune. I refused to even play it for a long time simply because of the theme. That was a mistake.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

The spice will not flow from Arrakis when Fred kills the Kwisatz Haderach.

You can't kill him, you can only wait for him to blind himself, wander out into the desert, and never return. Course....then you have to deal with his son, who's half a sandworm anyways...not sure which is worse.

#45 11 years ago

Avatar. Not a fan of the movie at all but it's a pretty fun game.

Quoted from Erik:

I have to agree fully with this. The tie-ins to the movie storyline mud up what could have been a fantastic theme. I'd love to see the software and graphics package redone with Hanna-Barbara Flintstones.

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from Doot77:

I'm not a country music fan by any means and when the Jackpot music comes on its actually one country song I don't mind.

Ya know, neither am I, not one little speck. But for some reason the hoedown jam game over music on FT makes me want to do a little Snuffy Smith dance every time.

#47 11 years ago

Not that I hate the theme, but I'm not into fishing and I love FT. The way it was made out to be somewhat like a cartoon, really works for that pin.

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

Johnny Mnemonic is my hands down winner for great pin bad theme.

Another vote for jm here, I would never sell it though!

#49 11 years ago
    Quoted from johnwartjr:

Rollergames is a great theme! If there weren't a pin based on that show, I'd have never owned a pin!

I agree.. It's a perfect theme for pinball. The show was kind of goofy but the idea of a roller derby-themed pinball game makes sense and that game has a number of clever things in it, like the habitrail that randomly fires captive balls during gameplay.

#50 11 years ago

For me it was Starship Troopers - I like the Theme and the game but I think I am one of 5 people. Had it for 7 years until I could not stand to play one more game

There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-pin-with-bad-theme and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.