9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

1I2B9665,large.2x.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alichino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 9 years ago

Some good examples:

MM - you have to wait for-ev-er for Merlin and the castle to give up the ball; ball lock too really kills the flow
TZ - probably no arguments
AFM - SOL, ball locks, destroying the saucer (or worse, attacking mars)
TAF - shooting any scoop, multiball takes forever
LOTR - has a mini playfield. Enough said
TOTAN - Genie and lamp make for a perfect flow killer
SS - Bash toy, spider web, dead heads
CV - ring master kills flow, so do the weird slings and pops in the middle the playfield
WOZ - weak flippers lol
TSPP

And the list goes on. I've never understood the fixation with flow. Steve Ritchie games are awesome, but there are other games out there.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from accidental:

I think I need some clarification. Scared Stiff and AFM are 'no-flow stop-and-go' pins?
Is your definition of 'flow' that every single shot must be a loop or a ramp that returns the ball to the flippers? If there's a single scoop or saucer then the whole rest of the design, no matter how 'flowy' is thrown out?
Doesn't sound like a helpful definition to me.

Flow isn't really well defined, either, and I'm just poking fun at the zealotry for it on here.

For SS, if the hole is very important to scoring well and it holds the ball for 10-15 seconds (a la the spider web scoop on SS), then it's totally a flow killer. Also, keep in mind, 1/3 of the game is bashing the crate (both for the multiball and wizard). The dead head shot stops at the top and bounces around before being ejected into the pops (flow killer).

AFM... before you collect the left and right orbits, it stops in the pops, and gets shot out through SOL, which is a flow killer. Qualifying the lock is flowy, but having to wait through animations during a lock? Not flowy. And 1/2 of the game is bashing the center target, which is the opposite of flow.

They're great games. Both of them. I'd love to own both of them, but they're not flowy. I'm just pointing out that using 'flow' as a measure of how good a game is is pretty ridiculous. Most games are not Star Trek flowy, and they're still fantastic games.

#21 9 years ago

No worries, and SS is probably the biggest stretch. Especially the left ramp to lock. So satisfying when you can hit it. What I really appreciate about that game is the way it mixes those two styles. Coffin multiball is all about ramp, ramp, ramp (very flowy) vs crate multiball, which is all about slowing down, getting the ball under control, and setting up the shots (not too flowy). And then the wizard mode which just outright combines them.

It's not TZ stop-and-go, but it does weigh in pretty heavily, and the game is that much more interesting for it.

I was just going down the top 100 and picking out the really great games that weren't AC/DC or Star Trek.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
9,899 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 59.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 63.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
€ 69.00
Pinball Machine
Multiball mods
Pinball Machine
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Yucaipa, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alichino.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-no-flow-stop-and-go-pins?tu=alichino and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.