(Topic ID: 97075)

Favorite game you own, not on the 'cookie cutter' list?

By ShaunoftheDead

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 153 posts
  • 125 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Ive
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AP.JPG
    2014-02-24 18.13.25.jpg
    Clark-Griswold.jpg
    lortium.jpg
    image.jpg
    Mousin.jpg
    th-973.jpeg
    There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 9 years ago

Going to have to give some props to TFTC. The theme and that it is a DE really limits its appeal for many. This keeps it off the cookie cutter list. Awesome game by DE.

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Sole effort? Aren't you forgetting a couple games about alien invasions and medieval times? I think you meant first effort or debut.

I think he meant he did the whole game, essentially, by himself. With very little outside help. That's what the back story is, anyway...

#103 9 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I think he meant he did the whole game, essentially, by himself. With very little outside help. That's what the back story is, anyway...

Ah, that makes sense...he did code, mechanical design, layout, etc...? If so, wow!!!!!

#104 9 years ago
    Quoted from drsfmd:

Regarding CBW, you can do the 1/2 billion shot while in the "double" mode and get a billion points for a single shot. I've managed to pull that one off twice.

wow, impressive. I'm still looking to do it for the first time. tough shot to hit.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

Sole effort? Aren't you forgetting a couple games about alien invasions and medieval times? I think you meant first effort or debut.

To clarify, this is a quote from a Steve Ritchie interview about this matter:

MARK: Working with others is essential, unless you are a going it alone.

STEVE: No one could make a great pinball alone. The closest I've seen is Brian Eddy on Shadow, I think. I believe he drew the game and then programmed it. It was quite a feat, but he had to learn about mechanicals on that game. It was tough, but I will always admire him for doing that.

Check out the rest of the interview here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/steve-ritchie-interview-from-2001-i-think

#106 9 years ago

How 'bout SafeCracker?

#107 9 years ago

I don't think any of my pins are really cookie cutter layouts, but the best one? I'd have to say Future Spa is the least cookie cutter in my collection.

#108 9 years ago

Bonebusters inc. and hardbody are two of my faves with an unconventional layout.

#110 9 years ago

Leaves nothing on the table

lortium.jpglortium.jpg

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

lortium.jpg 80 KB

That looks interesting.

#112 9 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Wow, that's a beaut!

Clark-Griswold.jpgClark-Griswold.jpg
    #113 9 years ago

Well the OP didn't specify "pinball" in the title...sooooo...

I have more people on the "If you ever decide to sell, can I get on the list?" list.

2014-02-24 18.13.25.jpg2014-02-24 18.13.25.jpg

#114 9 years ago

Ringer is the BEST game to play with a beer in your other hand.

#115 9 years ago

Swep1 awesome sound, and fun In a big line up, also a must if you already own rfm.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

They way they did the messenger balls is genius.

1 month later
    #117 9 years ago

Just picked up Grand Prix, and I'm love'n it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#118 9 years ago

Okay....I'll admit it....I have NO idea which pins are "cookie cutter" and which one's are not.

Is it a ranking thing? Layout? what?

Ahhh....."Marked by sameness and a lack of originality; mass-produced."

But where is that line drawn?

I guess by default mine is Gottlieb "Roller Coaster" - also the first pin ever with wireform ramps.

#119 9 years ago

Hands down, Congo.

#120 9 years ago

I think Congo is now a "Cookie Cutter" game lol

#121 9 years ago

Mystery Castle... Some of the best sounds & call outs. Just the right amount of easy & hard shots.

#122 9 years ago

Stern AP. I simply love its humor and that it has a toilet, a time Machine, a Sub Drill & A FRICKIN' LASERBEAM!
    "Mini Me.. stop humping the laser." Dr. Evil.
    ~Steveo

AP.JPGAP.JPG
    #123 9 years ago

Data East Tommy! I also have a Congo, but Tommy is the better game!

#124 9 years ago

BBH for the win, easy to play, funny rednecks, good music and fantastic in multiplayer.
    SHOOT AGAIN!

#125 9 years ago

Rollergames. The third game that I bought and the only game I've owned that I have never considered selling. After having it for 3 years, I finally put LEDs in it and it looks great. It is consistently a favorite among guests.

#126 9 years ago

Flash Gordon

this week.

#127 9 years ago

Shadow

No pop bumpers
    Diverters no other machine has
    Upper play field that is a break out type game.
    Cool looking gun launch

#128 9 years ago

Centaur. For all the right reasons.

#129 9 years ago

Fire, no pops, center post.

#130 9 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire even though it is a A list but what other pin has the DMD on the playfield, an interactive backbox, and 2 main toys that go up and down into the playfield. Nothing like it that I know of.

#131 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Congo is mine, by a long shot. It'll never be an A-lister, thanks to the theme, but it's probably the best-playing modern pin I've found.
    I would say Top Score fills that space for me in the EM world - it's not a Centigrade 37 or anything like that, but dam n is it addictive.

yeah well remove the theme, and u have a top 10 A-list pin. getting hard to find, most likely due to most people keeping them on their "keeper list" : P

#132 9 years ago

For me it's my favorite game in my collection "The Avengers" , it's ranked 202 and dropping.
    Do I care for rankings?
    Hellz no , it's a great pinball, it takes time to master it ......

#133 9 years ago

Data East Time Machine. Love the music and ramps and the homage it pays to three great eras of pinball.

#134 9 years ago

Popeye - 1) hilarious detailed playfield art 2) item multiball extremely difficult and rewarding 3) 6 ball wizard mode hugely gratifying

Elektra - 1) awesome 80's art package and sound 2) very difficult 2 ball multiball 3) lower playfield extremely fast and challenges your reflexes for sure

#135 9 years ago

Jealous of the Mystery Castles...

For me, it's Bally Vector. Not a beloved game, but the combination of the callouts, the weird Mad Max/Tron/Jai Alai theme, and the layout make the game quite unique. The drop targets that "defend" the ramp do clutter the playfield for some people, but I like what it adds to the gameplay. The targets you have to hit in sequence add some extra difficulty & depth to the game. It's a little brutal & hard to figure out what to do for casual pin fans I think, but I don't see myself selling it in the near future. Let's be honest, most visitors are just trying to keep the ball in play at the end of the day...

#137 9 years ago

Love Centaur ][ - even with the cab that everyone hates. Less emphasis on the backglass with it being 1/2 sized.

#138 9 years ago

Demo Man? Dunno why, but sharing a room with tz, lotr, tspp, stnng... and other games higher in "tier" I keep finding myself wanting to play with Snipes and Stallone. It's usually the game that motivates me to pull away from whatever I'm doing and start playing some pinball...

#139 9 years ago

Swords of Fury

Had one of these in the family when I was growing up, now I would love to add this to my game room.

#140 9 years ago

Black Hole (Not cookie cutter unless you're a Sys80 collector then it's cookie cutter )

#141 9 years ago

freddy, deep rule set, art package second to non, and the call outs never get old. gottlieb at the top of there game.

#142 9 years ago

I like Freddy too....not a ramp warrior and plenty of open space. Love the claw save and the hand flipper, very creative toys on this one.

#143 9 years ago

USA Football if there's a player two
    6 flippers

#144 9 years ago

A few come to mind: Taxi, Diner, Rollergames, Whirlwind. I'd take Taxi and Diner over AFM any day. One I've not seen mentioned here also would be Arena. Horrible art but killer game that supposedly was supposed to be Zelda but had licensing issues.

#145 9 years ago

operation thunder. never gets old

#146 9 years ago

Hot Shots. It's far from my favorite game, but it always gets me in a good mood.

#147 9 years ago

Indy 500

#148 9 years ago

That's a good one, not many like that one. Unique machine, and quite fun to play, good, fun rules.

#150 9 years ago

AFM is about as cookie cutter as one can get...

There are 153 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-game-you-own-not-on-the-cookie-cutter-list/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.