3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

p1MULH7JsTQC (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Having a tough time picking out the next classics to tackle. Recently completed a few more Charles Dickens. Do you have a favorite? And why?

#2 3 years ago

The Count of Monte Cristo

#3 3 years ago

Sherlock Holmes

#4 3 years ago

Dune

I did like a series of books, The Magician

#5 3 years ago

I’ll second Dune as a classic sci fi novel. I’ve also enjoy Enders game & the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.

In terms of literary classics I found Dante’s Inferno really interesting.

#6 3 years ago

Franny and Zooey. ok its not a classic in the classic sense. but i just love the 1950s writers. The bathtub scene in Zooey. You have to shine your shoes for the fat woman. i had a high school lit teacher who was an incredible teacher he just just loved Salinger. He gave me my love for that period of writing.

#7 3 years ago

When my kids were young we went through the Red Wall series many times over. My wife would read aloud and we would gather round and listen. She could do all the voices for the different woodland characters. Those were good days.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Dune
I did like a series of books, The Magician

Dune... I hadn't come across that yet. I might take that one up. I hear there's a movie remake being done. Would be nice to get the book in before the new movie. I've seen the old one but that was many years ago. Hmmmm. It's got my interest for sure. Thanks!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

Dune... I hadn't come across that yet. I might take that one up. I hear there's a movie remake being done. Would be nice to get the book in before the new movie. I've seen the old one but that was many years ago. Hmmmm. It's got my interest for sure. Thanks!

Dune, the book is so much better than the movie. It's like night and day. It's a pretty heavy read though.

A topical idea for right now is The Stand by Stephen King. Less topical but good would be Christine. Once again, completely disregard the movie if you read this one as the book is a million times better.

#10 3 years ago

Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass are simple but unusual reads due to the language used and pacing.

If you're open to Comic books, 2 lines that I really enjoyed that lean into classic literature:
- Fables - Features fables type characters (Snow White, Big Bad Wolf, Tales of Arabian nights, pretty much any public domain character (human or otherwise) you could imagine) and puts them in modern times/conflict. Nothing like the TV series that sounds similar.
- League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - Similar concept to the movie, but much better done in written form, as well as a little disturbing

Enjoy.

#11 3 years ago

A Confederacy Of Dunces. Hysterical and one of a kind.

#12 3 years ago

If you like Dickens, try the non Holmes work of Arthur Conan Doyle. He wrote some great mystery/supernatural short stories.

M. R James - best Gothic ghost stories.

Ian Fleming - not sure if it's classical, but his Bond works need to be read.

If you enjoy classic fantasy (i.e. Lovecraft), try Clark Ashton Smith - no one ever else put down to paper what he did.

#13 3 years ago

DC comics "Kingdom Come" a future story

#14 3 years ago

Moby Dick is my favorite book and sometimes called the greatest novel ever. Interesting it was a flop when first released and was rediscovered after the authors death.

“Melville died in 1891, largely forgotten by the literary world. By the 1920s, scholars had rediscovered his work, particularly Moby-Dick.”

#15 3 years ago

Much easier read than Moby Dick another favorite of mine is The Catcher in the Rye.

#16 3 years ago

Guys, these are great recommendations. Some I've read, others I've never heard of. I am looking up every single book. This may end up turning into my pinhead list of books to read. I was struggling for motivation a bit but these recs are breathing fresh air into the issue. Thanks much!

PS:
A Confederacy Of Dunces has caught my eye, seeing how I LOVE catch-22.
I have Moby Dick on the nightstand and haven't made it through yet. Still working on it (been 15 years so far) but on a small (large) break.
Read Catcher in the Rye recently (again). Hadn't since high school.
Yes, quite a fan of Dickens but haven't delved into Doyle yet. I will look into these.
I've never read or experienced a comic book, but am open to it. I've seen them and looked through but never read. My son likes that type of reading sometimes. Will look into it.
Oh, and not ready for Count of Monte Cristo again (or Three Musketeers). That is one of the best in my opinion.

There are others above that look great so really appreciate!

#17 3 years ago

I've read a lot of books. Good and bad.

The one I always enjoy on a rainy cold Fall day is a book with a collection of Edgar Allen Poe's works.

LTG : )
Disclaimer : My lottery win would be that, in a small den with a fireplace and sipping a hot buttered rum.

#18 3 years ago

"A Night to Remember" is a 1955 non-fiction book by Walter Lord that depicts the sinking of the RMS Titanic on 15 April 1912. The book was hugely successful, and is still considered a definitive resource about the Titanic. Lord interviewed 63 survivors of the disaster as well as drawing on books, memoirs, and articles that they had written.
A movie was made with the same title 3 years later in 1958.

#19 3 years ago

Watership Down, I read this when I was younger but it was a book that stood out to me at the time.

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

Lord of the Rings plus The Hobbit (I’ve read it several times.)

#20 3 years ago

Anyone ever read brotherhood of the rose and fraternity of the stone, by David Morrell? Great books, he was author of first blood

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Moby Dick is my favorite book and sometimes called the greatest novel ever. Interesting it was a flop when first released and was rediscovered after the authors death.
“Melville died in 1891, largely forgotten by the literary world. By the 1920s, scholars had rediscovered his work, particularly Moby-Dick.”

I just finished Moby Dick about a week ago - i was determined to slug it out and finish it no matter what. I didn't care for it at all. At all.

Dipping into some Charles Dickens since I've read everything else in the house - finishing up David Copperfield tonight or tomorrow and just knocked off Oliver Twist before Moby Dick.

#22 3 years ago

"Animal Farm" and "Of Mice and Men" -

Now my favorite medium is graphic novels

#23 3 years ago

Can't read anything like mystery or fantasy or even bio's but love science and physiological studies.

Really enjoy

Neil D. Tyson - Astro Physics for people in a hurry
Carl Jung - Aion
Stephen Hawking - A brief History of time
Christopher Hitches - God is Not great and Hitch 22
Richard Dawkins - The God delusion.
There's so many more but these are the ones that really stayed with me.

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I just finished Moby Dick about a week ago - i was determined to slug it out and finish it no matter what. I didn't care for it at all. At all.

I loved it.

Read it twice already and like to start a third time.

#25 3 years ago

So many good books...
Here are a few off of the top of my head that have some resonance with our current predicament:

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac
Foundation by Isaac Asimov

#26 3 years ago

I may not meet your definition of classic but here’s a list of books I’ve read that may work

Arthur c Clarke’s 2001, 2010, 2061 etc
Asimovs robot series
Crichton’s great train robbery
Seabiscuit by hillenbrand
Patricia highsmith ... talented mr Ripely series plus her short story collection
Ludlum
Tolkien
Mccullough”s books on the Panama canal and Brooklyn bridge
Twain’s Connecticut yankee in King Arthur’s court
Yeager - his autobiography
Iacocca - his autobiography

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Watership Down, I read this when I was younger but it was a book that stood out to me at the time.
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.
Lord of the Rings plus The Hobbit (I’ve read it several times.)

I also enjoyed Watership Down, and have read it a few times over the years. Just a couple of weeks ago I watched the 1978 movie with my son after it came up in conversation.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from RonSwanson:

I also enjoyed Watership Down, and have read it a few times over the years. Just a couple of weeks ago I watched the 1978 movie with my son after it came up in conversation.

Netflix did a miniseries with voice cast James McAvoy, Ben Kingsley etc. but I was not sure if I liked it they much just watched part of it.

#29 3 years ago

Anything Hunter S. Thompson is a good read.

I like biographies personally and geared towards sports. Open by Andre Agassi and Hitman by Bret Hart I found really well written and very revealing.

#30 3 years ago

The entire Bounty Trilogy by Nordhoff and Hall. I just was telling my son about it and dig up a pdf online, and I’m sucked right back in to it.

Also The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay was really amazing. I never thought I would enjoy a novel about boxing and revenge!

#31 3 years ago

Also, if you are able to slog through Dickens, the Idiot by Doestoyevski is really great...and if you can make it through all the classic Russian novelists, then I recommend my favorite novel of all time:

The Story of The Stone (Aka Dream of The Red Chamber) by Cao Xueqin (all 5 volumes)

It’s crazy difficult to read bc the cast of characters is immense and there is a lot of references to poetic rules that don’t translate particularly well, and it never was officially finished (another writer pieced together an ending after the author died) but it’s still beautiful and heartbreaking and funny and immense.

#32 3 years ago

Not necessarily a classic, but Ready Player One is a great read, especially if you're into 80s nostalgia.

#33 3 years ago

Red rising series

Mic Drop...

... pick mic back up

Bobiverse series

Enders game / Bean series

Mic drop

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Dipping into some Charles Dickens since I've read everything else in the house - finishing up David Copperfield tonight or tomorrow and just knocked off Oliver Twist before Moby Dick.

Mellive did some other work that is worth reading including a few short stories. I remember one called Barnabey something or other.

David Cooperfield is excellent, however I think Tale of Two Cities is garbage.

#35 3 years ago

I’ve read every single one of Steinbeck’s novels. Probably my favorite author. I wish he had written more. Grapes of Wrath, East of Eden, Of Mice and Men are some of the best. Winter of Our Discontent, In Dubious Battle are also really good.

In terms of more recent literature, I’ve been getting into Cormac McCarthy. The Road was the first book I read by him and loved his style. Blood Meridian is quite good but really dense and not a quick read. I’m 2/3 of the way through his Border trilogy, having read All the Pretty Horses and The Crossing. It helps if you know some Spanish for those as there’s a bunch of untranslated dialogue. Google translate was my friend.

#36 3 years ago

Well that's quite a list. I've looked into many of these. Early on though, Dune caught my attention, and like pinball - once it's got my attention, I must have it! So, Dune it is for this time. I'm going to favorite this thread so I can keep checking these off the completed list. Thanks much all!

now time for a little...

p1MULH7JsTQC (resized).jpgp1MULH7JsTQC (resized).jpg
#37 3 years ago

Lots of good recommendations here. Not sure if they’re considered classics yet but Cormac McCarthy is my favorite author. The Road, No Country For Old Men, and Blood Meridian are all incredible books that were all traumatizing in their own way haha. Also, another vote for Confederacy of Dunces. Catch-22 is also a favorite of mine (and yours) and they’re very similar in many ridiculous ways.

#38 3 years ago

Many of my favorites have been mentioned. A few unmentioned gems that I have always loved:

Job: a comedy of justice by heinlein

Taran Wanderer (book 4 black cauldron series)

Alvin Maker series

A soldier of the Great War - Mark Helprin

#39 3 years ago

I'd also suggest William S. Boroughs. Naked Lunch is a great dive in

#40 3 years ago

So I started Dune last night. Am very glad I put up this post. It’s just what was needed. Is a genre I wasn’t considering and recommended by likeminded hobbyists. Weird to be excited about a the beginning of a book but that’s how I feel. Usually take me 1/2 way or more through it. Thanks again all!

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from Chisox:

Not sure if they’re considered classics yet

If it is to you then its a classic. What other people think is a classic means absolutely nothing, kinda like the Pinside top 100.

#42 3 years ago

No Country for old men: very great. Explains more than the movie (also great tho).

Dune was great too. Lots of books I like to read again after I forget most of like 10 years later. Get a lot more on the second or third read through.

The Chronicles of Amber too classic Fantasy.

Lucifers Hammer post apocalyptic or Ringworld sci-fi

#43 3 years ago

I know nothing about you other than you like classics and have never read a comic book. If you want to try something different but classic, you shoul read “Maus”.

First graphic novel to win a Pulitzer.

#44 3 years ago

King's "The Stand" has been my favorite book since I read it when it first came out...

Started doing Audible a few years ago & this was my first listen - Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shackletons-Incredible-Alfred-Lansing/dp/0465062881
Wow, just Wow. The reader was perfect, the story more than amazing.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from DaWezl:

Also The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay was really amazing. I never thought I would enjoy a novel about boxing and revenge!

I read power of one in about 4th grade....not sure if it was age appropriate at the time but thought it was good. Re-read it a few years ago and it definitely holds up!

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from SDpinballer:

So I started Dune last night. Am very glad I put up this post. It’s just what was needed. Is a genre I wasn’t considering and recommended by likeminded hobbyists. Weird to be excited about a the beginning of a book but that’s how I feel. Usually take me 1/2 way or more through it. Thanks again all!

just stick to the books that Frank Hebert wrote. the series was continued after his death but those books dont have the richness of tge originals

#47 3 years ago

OP, when you get done with Dune, read Frank Herbert’s White Plague. It’s one of his last novels, and one of his best. It’s a stand alone, not part of a series. I found it chilling and compelling when I read it back in the 80s. I revisited it last year and it still stands up exceptionally well. It’s even more relevant during the current new reality.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from zombywoof:

OP, when you get done with Dune, read Frank Herbert’s White Plague.

Looking into this for sure. Can’t put Dune down.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-classics-novel-book?hl=ronswanson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.