Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,059 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ar445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230401_160206_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    diabolik-wide (resized).jpg
    71X8cOH+8hL._AC_SL1001_Lattitude (resized).jpg
    8B8A62BC-92EC-411B-9B08-B785EF313EBC (resized).jpeg
    BFE8B164-79D3-409D-A3D9-5F8446F4F7A0 (resized).jpeg
    jcvh (resized).jpg
    eac (resized).jpg
    Mole_People (resized).jpg
    the_trip (resized).jpeg
    699D3487-F86E-4E96-81F6-84C46E122779 (resized).jpeg
    6EF80FB1-5D2A-479C-A1ED-1722756C3B4F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#11 4 years ago

Death Race 2000 is so completely over the top it’s awesome. David Carradine and Sly Stallone ham it up to the max.

Death Race 2000-poster (resized).jpgDeath Race 2000-poster (resized).jpg

They Live is often forgotten, that is 100% certified awesome classic. Roddy Piper our hero forever.

They Live-fanart (resized).jpgThey Live-fanart (resized).jpg

#15 4 years ago

Here's another one from my collection, another classic of cheese, this one never gets old.

Born Losers-poster (resized).jpgBorn Losers-poster (resized).jpg

#24 4 years ago

Hard Times, there's one I forgot about. I remember it was pretty good. Gotta watch that one again. Is Charles Bronson ever NOT awesome??

Of course he was in a ton of movies and many of them are not obscure (Death Wish etc), but maybe 2 more that might meet this requirement that I always thought were good are Mr Majestyk and Telefon.

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

Best cheerleader movie of all time. And could never be made today. Edit: I”m talking about the original version, not the toned down re-release.
    [quoted image]

Better than Debbie Does Dallas???

#85 4 years ago

Here's another I haven't seen mentioned yet. A classic, with Henry Fonda no less. The bar scene with the shot glasses is one of the greatest movie scenes, ever.

My Name Is Nobody-poster (resized).jpgMy Name Is Nobody-poster (resized).jpg

#391 4 years ago

Race With The Devil (mentioned twice) and the Devil's Rain are two good ones I forgot about. Gotta watch those again.
    I want to watch Hard Times again but no luck finding it so far, Netflix doesn't have it.

#454 4 years ago

I'll see your tower movie with another:

sliver (resized).jpgsliver (resized).jpg

#532 4 years ago

cube (resized).jpgcube (resized).jpg

#561 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Some high rated Australian movies.
    1. True story about a school kidnapping that happened down here back in the '70s.
    [quoted image]
    2. If you can make it past the sensory shock of the first ten minutes the rest of it is hilarious.
    [quoted image]
    3. War crime courtroom drama based on Australian military involvement during the Boer War.
    [quoted image]

How about The Castle, how is that one considered by the Australians? I remember watching it and it was pretty darn funny. I want to watch it again but Netflix doesn’t have it currently.

#566 4 years ago
    Quoted from jsyjay:

[quoted image]

(Jason and the Argonauts poster)
    Its probably not really an obscure one, most people know it. But that movie poster is interesting, why? Because there are no skeletons shown on it! Now I will agree, the movie is filled with all sorts of adventure and cool stuff. But when people think of that movie, what do they think of? Skeletons! Because you know what the coolest part of that movie is by far??? The fight with the skeletons, that's what. It still looks cool as hell today.

Skeletons.

#579 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

Definitely top 5 and very well known and regarded down here so I tried to pick some more obscure but highly rated titles that may not have had an international release.
    I heard The Castle overseas distributors had to overdub some of the lines to fit in with an international audience as the punchlines were a bit too Aussie-centric?
    e.g.
    What's for dinner tonight?
    Australia: Rissoles.
    USA: Meatloaf.

I had to look up rissoles LOL. I want to watch it again, it was quite a while back when I saw it, unfortunately not available on Netflix right now. Even though it is well-known in Australia, I don't think it is much known in the USA.

#681 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Obscure? Perhaps....considering the fact that this outstanding film bombed hard at the box office but later went on to achieve cult status. Karl Urban completely nailed the iconic character here, just a legendary badass performance. And like the comics, he never removes his helmet the entire film. Lena Headley plays the perfect villain, right before she achieved super stardom in GOT. The straightforward underdog story draws you right in & delivers.
    I cannot state how fricking awesome & underrated this movie is. A perfect throwback to the R-rated violent action flicks of the 80's. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. Sadly most people didn't get to see it in 3D. Slow motion violence & bloodshed spewing all over the audience. One of the best experiences I've ever had at the theaters. Haha. If you have not seen, give it a try.[quoted image]

I'm with you on this one. A surprisingly decent movie of the modern era, I liked it.

#734 4 years ago

Kurt Russel has made a number of appearances here, but I don't think this one has shown up. This is from the 90s and I call it obscure because no one that i know ever has heard of it when I tell them about it. Watched it again last night, its another classic performance from KR and a great movie, IMO anyway.

soldier (resized).jpgsoldier (resized).jpg

#754 4 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I was afraid to post this, lol. I think it scored a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, but loved this movie.

I agree. This movie completely fell through the cracks. Why do so many people hate it? Maybe some would say Russell isn’t really acting since he hardly says anything through the movie. I think it was a great performance, he says a lot in an expression. The plot is an absolute classic of getting your comeuppance. Great action throughout.

1 week later
    #790 4 years ago

That one was a major flameout for sure.

Quiz: What movie had the most internet buzz and excitement in relation to how crappy and dumb it actually turned out to be when it came out?

Here are 2 hints: It involves snakes. And a plane.

#794 4 years ago

Tank Girl, that's a good one! I totally forgot about that one.

#802 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

If you haven’t seen this, well.... you know what to do.
    It’s the Cohen brothers first movie, and it’s pretty damn excellent.
    [quoted image]

Agree. This is a good one.

3 weeks later
    #845 4 years ago

Just watched Night of the Hunter not too long ago. That's some strange stuff in that movie I'll tell ya.

See No Evil Hear No Evil is pretty funny.

1 month later
    #877 4 years ago

Hollywood Shuffle is GREAT! I have watched that about a million times. It is just packed with really funny stuff. Good social commentary stuffed in there too, but in completely hilarious ways.

Batty Batty Batty!

Another good one is Don't Be a Menace to South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood, its a bit sillier but still pretty funny.

4 months later
    #893 3 years ago

OK, who remembers these two??

frankenstein (resized).jpgfrankenstein (resized).jpg

dracula (resized).jpgdracula (resized).jpg

There was some sick stuff in the 70s.

4 months later
    #909 3 years ago

Some great person uploaded the full movie The Castle on YouTube. Found it last night and watched it again. Wife came in and saw the beginning and said now what weird stuff are you watching? I said this is a great movie, you should try it. She ended up watching the whole thing, and at the end she says, well damn, that was pretty much the best movie I have ever seen. It’s a great one for pandemic watching, if this movie doesn’t lift your spirits a bit nothing will.

1 month later
    #940 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I'll be rewatching on Halloween. It is cool to see other people "accidentally" watching it as kids.
    The part with the hand gave me nightmares for a decade.
    I was about five. I am sleeping alone on the couch in the living room.
    The bloody hand reaches out from under the couch. I wake up as it grabs me. More than once. This nightmare continued until the 1980s.

Your post reminded me of another one that I think is somewhat obscure because most people that I know haven't really heard of it and I think it's definitely a cult classic. It is The Hand with Michael Caine l from 1981. I watched it again recently.That is one strange movie let me tell you in many different ways.

1 week later
    #968 3 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I have seen The Mechanic the 70's one still haven't seen the remake. I always remember a The Critic episode with Charles Bronson in Deathwish 8 in a hospital bed saying I wash I was dead over and over. I miss that series.

Quoted from TheLaw:

Haha what a great ending on that one

I watched the original not long ago. It is a classic from a previous era. It is a great movie overall, but the pace will be far too slow for a modern audience. Just look at how long the opening scene goes. That whole sequence would take about 22 seconds to execute in a 2020 movie. Like TheLaw said, one of the greatest movie endings ever.

The remake is everything you would expect if you translated the story to the current era, and popped in Statham instead of Bronson - full of fast action and fights and explosions and noise and so on. In other words, it sucks.

3 weeks later
    #972 3 years ago

Does anyone remember this one? I haven't seen it since way back when it came out. I remember it was pretty good, and Richard Gere was particularly nasty in this one as the bad guy. Think I'll watch it again.

Internal_affairs_film (resized).jpgInternal_affairs_film (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider xsvtoys.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-classic-movies-that-are-somewhat-obscure-?tu=xsvtoys and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.