Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,059 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ar445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230401_160206_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    diabolik-wide (resized).jpg
    71X8cOH+8hL._AC_SL1001_Lattitude (resized).jpg
    8B8A62BC-92EC-411B-9B08-B785EF313EBC (resized).jpeg
    BFE8B164-79D3-409D-A3D9-5F8446F4F7A0 (resized).jpeg
    jcvh (resized).jpg
    eac (resized).jpg
    Mole_People (resized).jpg
    the_trip (resized).jpeg
    699D3487-F86E-4E96-81F6-84C46E122779 (resized).jpeg
    6EF80FB1-5D2A-479C-A1ED-1722756C3B4F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#813 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

That shows up on Comet TV every now and then. I watched it about a year ago one day. My two word review: Train Wreck.

#814 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

[quoted image]
    Elliot Gould dies and in order to prevent his soul from a lifetime of damnation in Hell being subject to Bill Cosby pudding memes agrees to corrupt the souls of three random children in order to save his own.
    A Faustian lighthearted comedy from the mouse that roared.

I actually saw that in a theatre.

#815 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

To whoever recommended Used Cars, thank you! I was out sick from work yesterday and laughed my ass off at that movie.

1 month later
    #869 4 years ago
    Quoted from screaminr:

Only seen once years ago but remember it was funny as hell ( but I could have been drunk )[quoted image]

I lucked out and found a Blu Ray copy at a swap meet about two years ago. Hadn't seen it since it was in the theaters. Funny movie with a great cast!

4 months later
    #889 4 years ago

Saw this recently on TCM:
    Comedy of Terrors (resized).jpgComedy of Terrors (resized).jpg
    Vincent Price and Peter Lorre play undertakers who haven't had much business in a while, so need to "Create" some business on their own.
    Unfortunately, they pick a perspective client (played by Basil Rathbone) that has an odd ailment. As funny as Price and Lorre are in this film, Basil Rathbone is hilarious! And Boris Karloff does some of his funniest work ever in this movie.

6 months later
    #930 3 years ago
    Quoted from 29REO:

One of my all time sci fi favorites[quoted image]

I found a Blu-Ray copy of this in a thrift store a while back, but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I'll have to put that in my net to watch pile.

#934 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I need to rewatch very soon. I saw it as a small kid because it was made for tv.
    Jane Seymours first Acting role I think.
    It is five hours long I believe and a somewhat faithful Adaption of the novel.
    The vhs was the only copy for decades and then they actually did a dvd. VerY hammer like in the best ways.
    How bout that hand attacking them when they brought it to life.
    I had nightmares. So good.

I vaguely remember seeing this a a kid (I think it aired on NBC).

Has an interesting cast as well...

James Mason
    David McCallum
    Agnes Moorehead
    Michael Sarrazin
    Ralph Richardson
    John Gielgud
    Tom Baker (yes, the fourth Doctor).

#937 3 years ago
    Quoted from bobmathuse:

...Speaking of whom, how about The Golden Voyage of Sinbad with Baker as the bad-guy, Koura... .

And in the next movie was Patrick Troughton, the Second Doctor as Melanthius. Also in the movie: Jane Seymour.

#942 3 years ago
    Quoted from elcolonel:

"A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum"
    Zero Mostel was a classic!

And John Pertwee (The Third doctor) was in it! ... okay, I'm going to stop now.

#945 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

I need to rewatch very soon. I saw it as a small kid because it was made for tv.
    Jane Seymours first Acting role I think.
    It is five hours long I believe and a somewhat faithful Adaption of the novel.
    The vhs was the only copy for decades and then they actually did a dvd. VerY hammer like in the best ways.
    How bout that hand attacking them when they brought it to life.
    I had nightmares. So good.

I found out that Shout! Factory has it on Blu-Ray. I'm going to have to order a copy.

#946 3 years ago

Anyone here ever see the French dark comedy "Delicatessen" (1991)? Watch the trailer and you get an idea of what the film is like:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101700/

#952 3 years ago
    Quoted from Azmodeus:

[quoted image]

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I found out that Shout! Factory has it on Blu-Ray. I'm going to have to order a copy.

I got the Shout! Factory Blu Ray on Thursday! Look forward to watching it over the weekend.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

6 months later
    #995 2 years ago
    Quoted from Budman:

The Ghost and Mr. Chicken by a nose, over the Reluctant Astronaut
    [quoted image]

"Atta Boy Luther!"

1 month later
    #1014 2 years ago
    Quoted from John_C:

[quoted image]

Or by it's original title:

#1016 2 years ago
    Quoted from jhanley:

Parents took me to this movie in 1967 when I was 8. Scared the shit out of me.

... boo!
    Horned Devil.gifHorned Devil.gifMartians.jpgMartians.jpg

7 months later
    #1023 2 years ago

Ah, someone else who gets Blu Rays from Kino Lorber!

Just found this in their latest sale:
    Defiantly not recommended for those people that hate them fancy lads!

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/march-into-april-sale-2022

#1028 2 years ago

The Lineup (A.K.A. Contraband) 1958

Drug smugglers using innocent travelers as mules to transport heroin to San Francisco. For a 1958 movie it's surprisingly violent. There's what I would consider a classic scene with Eli Wallach and Vaughn Taylor (his only scene in the movie) at Sutros and a shootout right in front of both Sutros and the Cliff House.
    All leading up to a chase that was probably the best car chase in a movie in San Fransisco up until Bullitt came out. Have to say the Blu Ray looks exceptional.

#1038 2 years ago

Robert Zemeckis and Steven Spielberg's 1979 $35,000,000 comedy, 1941

Quite a cast this movie has.

#1042 2 years ago

"... Y'er all in cahoots!"

One of my favorite lines: General Stilwel, "This isn't the State of California, it's a State of Insanity!"

and also: Sgt. Frank Tree. "I'M A BUG!"

#1043 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Sorry Zablon I guess I got my ships mixed up, chalk it up to old age.

girloveswaffles I own that movie and I think it doesn't get the credit as a John Belushi movie also.

I have an original 1980 MCA Discovision copy, a MCA / Universal Widscreen Laser disc, and a DVD copy. I just need to get a Blu Ray copy one of these days.

#1047 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

girloveswaffles just how old are you? Do you have a VHS copy also?
    I thought I was the old person around here?

Rarely bought movies on tape. as far as the Discovision 1941, I bought that used in the early '90s, then of course the wide screen version came out a year or two later.

A lot of my video collection is stuff I find at thrift stores and outlets or shops like Book-off. One of the biggest savings I got was finding a 4K / Blu Ray combo edition if Spiderman into the Spiderverse I found at a Savers store last year that I got for $3.99.
    I also get some stuff from Amazon and other online retailers. Much of it is things that aren't released in the U.S.
    a couple of goodies were from the U.K. like the never aired 1979 Doctor Who episode "Shada" on Blu ray (no region encoding) and The 1969 original version of The Italian Job. Both were authentic discs, not bootlegs.
    But I do get a lot of stuff online that you can't get in many stores and occasionally not even from Amazon.

...as far as my age, I turned 60 last June.

#1049 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

You should visit the Goodwill here girloveswaffles all my VHS players have broken and I just donated about 750 VHS movies to them. Including my Beatles Yellow Submarine tape also.
    Just slightly older than me I turn that age this month.

There's a Good Will "Computer-works" Store in Santa Ana CA. that gets all sorts of stuff on all video formats, sometimes new old stock (usually donated by Target, and you do sometimes find Target exclusives).
    They also get get a lot of T.V.s video games (fair selection of PS-4 / 5, X-Box1 and Switch included), and Apple accessories there. Hell, I'm relying on an iMac that I bought there!
    They have even got arcade games there including a couple of pins (mostly donated by Captains Auctions).

#1050 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

You should visit the Goodwill here girloveswaffles all my VHS players have broken and I just donated about 750 VHS movies to them. pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

I lucked out a few weeks back. I found a Magnavox VHS / DVD recorder at a local goodwill store. Unique thing about these units, you can still record off the air on the VCR (it has a ATSC tuner for both recorders).

#1051 2 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

... I just donated about 750 VHS movies to them. Including my Beatles Yellow Submarine tape also.

I looked and there is a Blu ray edition of Yellow Submarine:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Submarine-Blu-ray-Beatles/dp/B0079J28NW/ref=sr_1_1

It is an import from Europe, but it is a region free disc.

11 months later
    #1055 1 year ago

Heavy Metal (1981).
    Recently got the 4K relerase

Hands down, one of the best looking Copies of the movie on video!
    Yeah, it shows it age a bit, but still a fun movie to watch. Down side, most of the stories from the magazine aren't very accurate (save Captain Sternn Saves the Day), Upside the original stories are great (Harry Canyon, B-17, Taarna)
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082509/

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider girloveswaffles.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-classic-movies-that-are-somewhat-obscure-?tu=girloveswaffles and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.