Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,059 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ar445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230401_160206_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    diabolik-wide (resized).jpg
    71X8cOH+8hL._AC_SL1001_Lattitude (resized).jpg
    8B8A62BC-92EC-411B-9B08-B785EF313EBC (resized).jpeg
    BFE8B164-79D3-409D-A3D9-5F8446F4F7A0 (resized).jpeg
    jcvh (resized).jpg
    eac (resized).jpg
    Mole_People (resized).jpg
    the_trip (resized).jpeg
    699D3487-F86E-4E96-81F6-84C46E122779 (resized).jpeg
    6EF80FB1-5D2A-479C-A1ED-1722756C3B4F (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,059 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 22.
    #801 4 years ago

If you haven’t seen this, well.... you know what to do.
    It’s the Cohen brothers first movie, and it’s pretty damn excellent.
    32DB5B3E-51C1-4BF8-A0FE-52BAADCF4214 (resized).jpeg32DB5B3E-51C1-4BF8-A0FE-52BAADCF4214 (resized).jpeg

#802 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

If you haven’t seen this, well.... you know what to do.
    It’s the Cohen brothers first movie, and it’s pretty damn excellent.
    [quoted image]

Agree. This is a good one.

#803 4 years ago

Thief - classic James Caan, in what I believe is the first major film Michael Mann directed. Equally obscure was the Tangerine Dream soundtrack - I think it was their first movie - which then launched a stretch of about two dozen movie soundtracks for them. Though obscure, they were (are) very prolific.

Lots of parallels between this and Heat (another Michael Mann 14 years later), though Caan's character's outcome in Thief is better than how De Niro's character fares in Heat.

Thief_1981 (resized).jpgThief_1981 (resized).jpg
    #804 4 years ago
    Quoted from TDK-WPG:

Thief - classic James Caan, in what I believe is the first major film Michael Mann directed. Equally obscure was the Tangerine Dream soundtrack - I think it was their first movie - which then launched a stretch of about two dozen movie soundtracks for them. Though obscure, they were (are) very prolific.
    Lots of parallels between this and Heat (another Michael Mann 14 years later), though Caan's character's outcome in Thief is better than how De Niro's character fares in Heat.[quoted image]

#807 4 years ago

Atari_Daze “Happy Rex Manning Day!” Lol...man, I forgot about Empire Records!

#808 4 years ago
    Quoted from Atari_Daze:

[quoted image]

The ass on that snooty girl, oh man.

#809 4 years ago
    Quoted from tjprice222:

“Happy Rex Manning Day!” Lol...man, I forgot about Empire Records

Yea i think its actually in April or May, I didn't want to wait till next rex manning day to post!

#810 4 years ago

King Of The Ants. If you have never seen it and like Norm from Cheers(George Wendt), he is the total opposite in the movie. Norm has a bad side. The movie was well done but kind of hard to watch.

#811 4 years ago

This one is pretty good, funny.

C028E6FC-5D07-4F90-BB14-940CB33BD833 (resized).jpegC028E6FC-5D07-4F90-BB14-940CB33BD833 (resized).jpeg
    #812 4 years ago
    Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

This one is pretty good, funny.[quoted image]

“Who wants to take the plunge?!?”

I remember McCool’s being a fun watch, great cast enjoying overacting, Michael Douglas with an awesome toupee. Will have to check it out again sometime.

#813 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

[quoted image]

That shows up on Comet TV every now and then. I watched it about a year ago one day. My two word review: Train Wreck.

#814 4 years ago
    Quoted from pinsanity:

[quoted image]
    Elliot Gould dies and in order to prevent his soul from a lifetime of damnation in Hell being subject to Bill Cosby pudding memes agrees to corrupt the souls of three random children in order to save his own.
    A Faustian lighthearted comedy from the mouse that roared.

I actually saw that in a theatre.

#815 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pahuffman:

To whoever recommended Used Cars, thank you! I was out sick from work yesterday and laughed my ass off at that movie.

#817 4 years ago
    473F4E75-5064-4537-91A3-91DB57D83ADC (resized).jpeg473F4E75-5064-4537-91A3-91DB57D83ADC (resized).jpegE15D46B8-3BA9-4316-A3BD-4E710B93FCCD (resized).jpegE15D46B8-3BA9-4316-A3BD-4E710B93FCCD (resized).jpeg
    #818 4 years ago

For some reason I have been kind of wanting to see "revenge of the nerds" again.

Recently me and my gf watched Varsity Blues, I love the movie, she had never seen it, and she thought she would hate it, but she liked it. When our pro or college favorite teams mess up now I just say, well, maybe they was at a strip club all night and feel like crap now.

#819 4 years ago
    Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

For some reason I have been kind of wanting to see "revenge of the nerds" again.

When I watched it in the theater the scene where they break-in and enter the sorority to see the girls naked and at the same time install hidden video cameras to watch them naked seemed funny. The whole theater laughed. Also, the scene where Louis pretended to be the girls boyfriend and essentially raped her and performed oral sex on her seemed fine and the whole theater again laughed. It seemed plausible that she was ok with it after finding out the truth. Boy have times changed. That kind of comedy wouldn’t go over so well nowadays. I’m curious how teenagers today would react to watching Revenge of the Nerds for the first time.

#822 4 years ago

May not be a classic, but Def obscure! Actually a cool movie

#823 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

The ass on that snooty girl, oh man.

I think it is the same actress that is in this one, if I recall you see much more!

waiting (resized).jpgwaiting (resized).jpg
    #824 4 years ago

Seconds is a fantastic sci-fi thriller from 1966 starring Rock Hudson ...

Seconds (resized).jpgSeconds (resized).jpg
    #825 4 years ago

Another great film from the 60's is The Swimmer starring Burt Lancaster ...

The Swimmer (resized).jpgThe Swimmer (resized).jpg
    #826 4 years ago

I don't think a movie can be considered "classic" and "obscure." just sayin

#827 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

I don't think a move can be considered "classic" and "obscure." just sayin

How about "somewhat classic"?

#828 4 years ago

No man, I think "Classic" is a stand alone term.

#829 4 years ago

By "classic" I think the OP simply meant "older". That's why I chose two movies from the 60's that are also somewhat obscure.

#830 4 years ago

LTG : )

MV5BODdjM2I0MGMtNDVmZS00NDVmLThiZjgtNDkzYTk3NDJkMGNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,660,1000_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BODdjM2I0MGMtNDVmZS00NDVmLThiZjgtNDkzYTk3NDJkMGNkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,660,1000_AL_ (resized).jpg
    #831 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pinstein:

No man, I think "Classic" is a stand alone term.

Not when you add the word cult to it. As in "Cult Classic"

#833 4 years ago

Not sure what era we're deeming "classic" in this thread, but I'm a huge fan of the British cult comedy "Withnail and I"

#834 4 years ago

The word "Classic" has two meanings as far as pinside is concerned.

The majority seem to think it is anything from the 1980s.

The rest think it is anything prior to that that the first group hasn't heard of or refuses to acknowledge.

#835 4 years ago

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051380/videoplayer/vi163053849?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.47.05 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.47.05 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.49.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.49.00 PM (resized).png

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.50.03 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.50.03 PM (resized).png

Geez, Monster Crabs sounds scary as hell. I think I'll keep my zipper zipped

Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.50.41 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-10-04 at 3.50.41 PM (resized).png

#836 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

Another great film from the 60's is The Swimmer starring Burt Lancaster ...

This is a really great film! I wrote an article on the director Frank Perry some years ago that Roger Ebert tweeted out and I was always thrilled that he thought it was worth while.

https://notesonafilm.com/frank-perry-article/

#837 4 years ago

I have to cancel my swimming lessons!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#838 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

I have to cancel my swimming lessons!

"Fuzzy wuzzie was a woman"

"Stomp your feet real hard", "I feel like an idiot", "you look fine to me!"

1 week later
    #839 4 years ago

787c486f6e30fce4c9d1bbd1ffdbfad3 (resized).jpg787c486f6e30fce4c9d1bbd1ffdbfad3 (resized).jpgHot-Rods-to-Hell (resized).pngHot-Rods-to-Hell (resized).png

#840 4 years ago

Love that one ^^^.....I put it up a few page ago. Great one!

#841 4 years ago
    Quoted from Strummy:

Love that one ^^^.....I put it up a few page ago. Great one!

I missed that post, but yeah a great movie.

I love it how the girl is always standing or sitting up in the back of the Corvette and the upbeat music starts up every time they are heading for trouble.

#842 4 years ago

Don't know if this one was mentioned, but whenever someone asks me for a good movie, I always recommend 1955's Night of the Hunter.
    Almost no one I know has heard of it. It is an atmospheric masterpiece and only director credit of Charles Laughton.
    My mom recommended it to me as a teen and have been mesmerized by it since.
    Cinematography is eerie, yet beautiful. Robert Mitchum is amazing in the role of a con-man preacher. A must see!
    -Chrissi
    night hunter (resized).jpgnight hunter (resized).jpg

#843 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pablito350:

I always recommend 1955's Night of the Hunter.

I've got that one recorded along with several other Mitchum classics. Might have seen it already, but a long time ago.

#844 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've got that one recorded along with several other Mitchum classics. Might have seen it already, but a long time ago.

Definitely worth a viewing, solid creepiness from Robert “With and Without Horse” Mitchum, and must have inspired thousands of regrettable knuckle-tattoos over the years.

#845 4 years ago

Just watched Night of the Hunter not too long ago. That's some strange stuff in that movie I'll tell ya.

See No Evil Hear No Evil is pretty funny.

1 week later
    #846 4 years ago

Haven't watched Night of the Hunter yet, but did take in The Big Steal the other night. I'm concentrating on recording noir classics now. Mitchum might have been the king of noir.

MV5BZmY2NThjZTgtNDY5ZS00NDdhLTg4MGQtODdkZTEyMTZkYzJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BZmY2NThjZTgtNDY5ZS00NDdhLTg4MGQtODdkZTEyMTZkYzJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    #847 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Haven't watched Night of the Hunter yet, but did take in The Big Steal the other night. I'm concentrating on recording noir classics now. Mitchum might have been the king of noir.

Robert Mitchum was the man, he's got some fantastic quotes about acting and didn't seem to take the whole thing too seriously:

• I have two acting styles: with and without a horse.
    • Every two or three years, I knock off for a while. That way I'm always the new girl in the whorehouse.
    • Sure I was glad to see John Wayne win the Oscar. I'm always glad to see the fat lady win the Cadillac on TV, too.
    • I started out to be a sex fiend, but I couldn't pass the physical.
    • I never take any notice of reviews - unless a critic has thought up some new way of describing me. That old one about my lizard eyes and anteater nose and the way I sleep my way through pictures is so hackneyed now.
    • Movies bore me; especially my own.

#848 4 years ago

It was mentioned during The Big Steal that it was basically a follow up to Out Of The Past, also starring Jane Greer and perhaps the greatest noir movie of all time. Looking forward to watching that one too.

They also mentioned his marijuana arrest at the time and how it affected his career. lol.
    image006 (resized).jpgimage006 (resized).jpg

#849 4 years ago

We watched this the other night, amazing movie. It probably was not obscure in its day but it’s a 1920’s silent movie so it will be relatively unknown to most nowadays.

Most consider the phantom carriage to be the best Swedish movie ever made. It starts a little slow but it is Well worth watching and the special effects are astounding considering the capabilities they had back then. Can you imagine the difficulties in double exposure of the film? Brightness and acting slip ups and movement issues...just wow

863A3F83-136D-420B-906C-846ED7668142 (resized).jpeg863A3F83-136D-420B-906C-846ED7668142 (resized).jpeg
    #850 4 years ago

Great list, guys! I can add The Police Academy

There are 1,059 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-classic-movies-that-are-somewhat-obscure-/page/17?hl=nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.