Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,059 posts
  • 213 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 36 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ar445 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20230401_160206_DuckDuckGo (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    diabolik-wide (resized).jpg
    71X8cOH+8hL._AC_SL1001_Lattitude (resized).jpg
    8B8A62BC-92EC-411B-9B08-B785EF313EBC (resized).jpeg
    BFE8B164-79D3-409D-A3D9-5F8446F4F7A0 (resized).jpeg
    jcvh (resized).jpg
    eac (resized).jpg
    Mole_People (resized).jpg
    the_trip (resized).jpeg
    699D3487-F86E-4E96-81F6-84C46E122779 (resized).jpeg
    6EF80FB1-5D2A-479C-A1ED-1722756C3B4F (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,059 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.
    #651 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingojoe:

Heres obscure...[quoted image]

"Eraserhead" is not obscure (but the hatching scene is disturbing). After ""Twin Peaks" there was an explosion of David Lynch material bubbling up main stream.

Funny looking at how many of the "old" classics I saw in the Drive-In. Maybe that's why I love CFTBL so much.

#652 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

will get dicked by the ending of this one[quoted image]

#653 4 years ago

How about “Damnation Alley”? Obscure enough?? Cost $8 million and only made $4. I read the original book by Roger Zelazny and the movie had some cool stuff, especially the truck. But even then the “earth has been knocked off its axis by ww3” was a bit much.

046146D4-684A-4341-BC6B-7B0326EA3E74 (resized).jpeg046146D4-684A-4341-BC6B-7B0326EA3E74 (resized).jpeg
    #654 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingojoe:

Heres obscure...[quoted image]

I wouldn’t consider Eraserhead obscure, due to the fact that it is seen as a definitive work of the singular genius that is David Lynch. Even casual Lynchians are familiar with his first film. Even though it is incredibly weird and not for all tastes, it has a legendary and historical status attached to it. Interesting film

#655 4 years ago

Weird favorites from my childhood.

0079666C-6BE5-46F3-B203-4E2C7A84DB36 (resized).jpeg0079666C-6BE5-46F3-B203-4E2C7A84DB36 (resized).jpeg27526B2F-41EC-4F02-8AAB-56ADE35CF822 (resized).jpeg27526B2F-41EC-4F02-8AAB-56ADE35CF822 (resized).jpegC7F6F640-7C61-4230-9B2F-760C4E322E81 (resized).jpegC7F6F640-7C61-4230-9B2F-760C4E322E81 (resized).jpeg
    #656 4 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Weird favorites from my childhood.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

None of those are even remotely obscure.

#657 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

None of those are even remotely obscure.

Tell that to my wife or the majority of people I work with. Almost none of them would have even heard of these films. One's definition of "obscure" can be different from another.

In addition, when I was a kid in the 80’s and saw these movies for the first time, absolutely no one I knew at school had seen them to have any sort of discussion.

#658 4 years ago
    Quoted from dtown:

Tell that to my wife or the majority of people I work with.

Your wife has definitely heard of Krull. That’s the nickname she gave to my.
    Never mind. It’s obscure.

#659 4 years ago

Here's one we had a hard time finding at video rental stores back in the day.

20190827_085332.jpg20190827_085332.jpg
    #660 4 years ago

My wife never seen The Wanderers so I ordered it off of Amazon a few years backjanmeininghaus_wanderers700.jpgjanmeininghaus_wanderers700.jpg I like brawl movies in general and made me think of another classic that I haven't seen since high schoolroadie.jpgroadie.jpg

#661 4 years ago

I was shown where the buffalo roam in school. That was around 1980.

#662 4 years ago

My fiancée has never seen any of the smoky and the bandits, porkies or any of the 70s disaster films. Either.

(Yet)
    I showed her Logan's run and she was unimpressed.

#663 4 years ago

here is a movie that somehow they sent me a packet looking for people to invest in it. I thought it was funny as I had just graduated from college. I would think its pretty obscure, but then it had walter koneig and bruce campbell.

MV5BMjlmZmI4YTQtYjM0ZC00YzJjLWEwYTMtNDdiNWZhOWMzODc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BMjlmZmI4YTQtYjM0ZC00YzJjLWEwYTMtNDdiNWZhOWMzODc5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTQxNzMzNDI@._V1_ (resized).jpg

#664 4 years ago

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.20.46 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.20.46 AM (resized).png

#665 4 years ago
    Quoted from Mrbill:

here is a movie that somehow they sent me a packet looking for people to invest in it. I thought it was funny as I had just graduated from college. I would think its pretty obscure, but then it had walter koneig and bruce campbell.
    [quoted image]

Haven't heard of that one before. The trailer certainly looks intriguing.

#666 4 years ago

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.23.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.23.13 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.27.01 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 8.27.01 AM (resized).png

#667 4 years ago
    MV5BMmY4MzllZGItMmIzYi00MDA0LWFjMTgtZGZlMWUwZTM2OWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BMmY4MzllZGItMmIzYi00MDA0LWFjMTgtZGZlMWUwZTM2OWViXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_ (resized).jpg51T37VW1Y0L (resized).jpg51T37VW1Y0L (resized).jpg
    #668 4 years ago

Lee Van Cleef, what a badass. Those snake eyes were killer.

Lee-Van-Cleef (resized).jpgLee-Van-Cleef (resized).jpg
    #669 4 years ago

Almost as badass as Troy McClure

MV5BMTQyMjMxODYxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUxMTM4NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,643,1000_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BMTQyMjMxODYxM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTUxMTM4NA@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,643,1000_AL_ (resized).jpg
    #670 4 years ago

51h6EBV1GUL (resized).jpg51h6EBV1GUL (resized).jpg

#671 4 years ago
    Quoted from fosaisu:

Lee Van Cleef, what a badass. Those snake eyes were killer.[quoted image]

He was a great B movie actor, too bad he drank too much.

#672 4 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Haven't heard of that one before. The trailer certainly looks intriguing.

Don't bother, it sucks. I think they pop up a tent on the moon and have sex if I remember correctly.

I've seen about half of these posted - I went through a phase of sifting through B and Z rated movies for decades trying to find lost gems. Found a few....

#673 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Don't bother, it sucks. I think they pop up a tent on the moon and have sex if I remember correctly.
    I've seen about half of these posted - I went through a phase of sifting through B and Z rated movies for decades trying to find lost gems. Found a few....

I remember watching moontrap when it was on cable, but I dont remember the movie other than thinking it was pretty bad.

#674 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Quoted from Mrbill:

I remember watching moontrap when it was on cable, but I dont remember the movie other than thinking it was pretty bad.

Bummer, oh well.

#675 4 years ago

I don't a thing about it. But I am learning how to find the low budget bombs that will match any definition of obscure.

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.16.21 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.16.21 PM (resized).png

#676 4 years ago

Screen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.21.00 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-28 at 11.21.00 PM (resized).png

#677 4 years ago

You know what I’m seeing in this thread....other than not obscure good movies and obscure crap movies? A lot of really good famous actors made a lot of crap when they we’re past their prime. Henry Fonda really stands out. Also, that the 70’s were about the most free for human depravity in movies that this world will ever see. As a kid I remember the 70’s as a really free time to do whatever people felt like, but also rusty. That is the buildings were rusty, playgrounds were rusty and filled with danger. No wonder Ronald Reagan and the religious right rose up in the 80s to ruin this country. Oh well. The 80s removed the dangerous and brought in plastic playgrounds and plastic movies. But I digress.

#678 4 years ago

just thought of 2 more bad movies. I bought a huge pile of laserdiscs at the fleamarket and in there were these two. Both are somewhat funny and raunchy. Another case of barely famous making bad movies.

MV5BMTI1Mjc2ODg5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkzNjcxMQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BMTI1Mjc2ODg5Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjkzNjcxMQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpg

MV5BNWU3ZjI4MDgtMGJlNS00MDIxLWFhMmUtMTE0ZDYxM2NiZDg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpgMV5BNWU3ZjI4MDgtMGJlNS00MDIxLWFhMmUtMTE0ZDYxM2NiZDg0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ2MjQ5NzM@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_ (resized).jpg

#679 4 years ago

While many of these movies are not “obscure”, this is a great trip down memory lane, and reinforces my theory that I have spent far too much time watching movies!

#680 4 years ago

Obscure? Perhaps....considering the fact that this outstanding film bombed hard at the box office but later went on to achieve cult status. Karl Urban completely nailed the iconic character here, just a legendary badass performance. And like the comics, he never removes his helmet the entire film. Lena Headley plays the perfect villain, right before she achieved super stardom in GOT. The straightforward underdog story draws you right in & delivers.

I cannot state how fricking awesome & underrated this movie is. A perfect throwback to the R-rated violent action flicks of the 80's. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. Sadly most people didn't get to see it in 3D. Slow motion violence & bloodshed spewing all over the audience. One of the best experiences I've ever had at the theaters. Haha. If you have not seen, give it a try.

dredd (resized).jpgdredd (resized).jpg
    #681 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

Obscure? Perhaps....considering the fact that this outstanding film bombed hard at the box office but later went on to achieve cult status. Karl Urban completely nailed the iconic character here, just a legendary badass performance. And like the comics, he never removes his helmet the entire film. Lena Headley plays the perfect villain, right before she achieved super stardom in GOT. The straightforward underdog story draws you right in & delivers.
    I cannot state how fricking awesome & underrated this movie is. A perfect throwback to the R-rated violent action flicks of the 80's. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. Sadly most people didn't get to see it in 3D. Slow motion violence & bloodshed spewing all over the audience. One of the best experiences I've ever had at the theaters. Haha. If you have not seen, give it a try.[quoted image]

I'm with you on this one. A surprisingly decent movie of the modern era, I liked it.

#682 4 years ago

I found the recent Dredd movie very true to the pinball game.

#683 4 years ago
    p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg
    #684 4 years ago
    3754557C-90A2-4DF1-984C-68B5E0EBE5FF (resized).jpeg3754557C-90A2-4DF1-984C-68B5E0EBE5FF (resized).jpegBAFC76F8-55AF-4BAB-8879-1E1D830DF7A8 (resized).jpegBAFC76F8-55AF-4BAB-8879-1E1D830DF7A8 (resized).jpeg
    #685 4 years ago
    MV5BYzc0NGM4ZDAtZTEwOS00Y2VhLWI2YmEtYTY2ZTdhMWJlNDkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BYzc0NGM4ZDAtZTEwOS00Y2VhLWI2YmEtYTY2ZTdhMWJlNDkxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjI4MjA5MzA@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    #686 4 years ago

o-din, I hope you joking. Obscure? I hope not. (throw City Beneath The Sea in there also)

and Deezer5150 - "Manos Hands of Fate" was obscure until MST3K had their way with it. That is the same time it became a classic.

"All" movies are classic after Joel / Mike and the Bots get their hands on it.

#687 4 years ago

Screams of a Winter Night (used to have vhs)
    Faces of Death (still have vhs)
    Humanoids From The Deep (have the dvd)
    The Groove Tube (have the dvd)
    The Kentucky Fried Movie (have the dvd)
    The Last Man on Earth & House on Haunted Hill Vincent Price double feature (have the dvd)
    Motel Hell (have the dvd)

#688 4 years ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

I cannot state how fricking awesome & underrated this movie is. A perfect throwback to the R-rated violent action flicks of the 80's. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. Sadly most people didn't get to see it in 3D. Slow motion violence & bloodshed spewing all over the audience. One of the best experiences I've ever had at the theaters. Haha. If you have not seen, give it a try.[quoted image]

I saw it twice in the theater in the span of a week. Amazing use of 3D.

#689 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

o-din, I hope you joking. Obscure? I hope not. (throw City Beneath The Sea in there also)

Doubt most here have seen it.

OK then

p4924_v_v8_aa (resized).jpgp4924_v_v8_aa (resized).jpg
    #690 4 years ago

Better, seen it, but better

Seriously, see "7 Faces of Dr. Lao". Here it the start of the write up -

When the inscrutable Dr. Lao (Tony Randall) and his mystical Chinese medicine show roll into the Wild West settlement of Abalone, . .. .

So, Tony Randall (yes, as in "Odd Couple") plays a Chinese Mystic in the old west. Everything from Drama to Claymation monsters. Very memorable.

#691 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

So, Tony Randall (yes, as in "Odd Couple") plays a Chinese Mystic in the old west.

You don't say

conqueror8 (resized).jpgconqueror8 (resized).jpg
    #692 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You don't say[quoted image]

Do you know the history of "The Duke" as (the failed) Attila The Hun?

They filmed in an area with nuclear fallout from test. His dying of lung cancer and half the crew is blamed on that.

#693 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

They filmed in an area with nuclear fallout from test. His dying of lung cancer and half the crew is blamed on that.

My 97 year old mother is still talking abut trying to collect on the payout from those tests as she was there.

#694 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Doubt most here have seen it.
    OK then[quoted image]

Can we just agree that no Harryhausen film is obscure? What's next, listing some John Ford, Howard Hawks, or Jacques Tourneur film?

#695 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

Can we just agree that no Harryhausen film is obscure?

Ray Harryhausen Claymation monster movies (I bought the collection) and Irwin Allen disaster movies are staples.

#696 4 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

What's next, listing some John Ford

Sure, why not?

Roped-1919newspaperadvert (resized).jpgRoped-1919newspaperadvert (resized).jpg
    #697 4 years ago

For those looking at the pictures but not really getting the idea of what to watch someone posted "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern. Very recommended by me. I actually had some tears with that one. And for climate change people now this was a 70's version of the worries back then of the future. And Joan Baez ads that extra kick of emotion to the soundtrack.

#698 4 years ago

No Irwin Allen, no Harryhausen, no John Ford.

It always comes back to Doug McClure.

MV5BNTEwMzA5OGItZDU5Yy00NTM3LWJiYmEtNDNkMzUyYzk1NWYyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA2OTQ5OTE@._V1_ (resized).jpgMV5BNTEwMzA5OGItZDU5Yy00NTM3LWJiYmEtNDNkMzUyYzk1NWYyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzA2OTQ5OTE@._V1_ (resized).jpg
    #699 4 years ago

Has this been posted? P.J. Soles and the Ramones -
    p (resized).jpgp (resized).jpg

The Mouse mom - My Children are in there!

#700 4 years ago

Here’s one for you...
    Sorry o-din, no Doug McClure

B2B1A7B4-63B7-4D01-9500-17D70B5BF4E3 (resized).jpegB2B1A7B4-63B7-4D01-9500-17D70B5BF4E3 (resized).jpeg
    There are 1,059 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-classic-movies-that-are-somewhat-obscure-/page/14?hl=frippertron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.