Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by VALIS666
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B2CCF9A5-17E2-4173-9E2F-2E3E5FE65321 (resized).png
    toonami__t_o_m__1_era_wallpaper_by_jpreckless2444_d6evawj-fullview (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpeg
    A1B8FAF6-99FC-4CA1-89F8-DB8E421DBFA4.gif
    reboot (resized).jpg
    9F7826F2-CE61-4C36-A141-1579F725BEB0 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    460397C1-4747-4170-B82F-2FF8466FB3C9 (resized).jpeg
    capture.pngsr2_ (resized).png
    imasdfge (4) (resized).jpg
    jq (resized).jpg
    61316E7E-0FCC-4E6D-8E3C-5CC6368FA85E (resized).jpeg
    CD63008F-C97A-4081-B866-DDF67C48A8AB (resized).jpeg
    EE643866-5789-4871-8651-F38E904E0696 (resized).jpeg
    hongkongphooeyco (resized).jpg
    MV5BOWM0MjNkMjEtY2IyNi00ODdmLTk0ODctNjY3YTQzN2Y3N2ZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTAyODkwOQ@@._V1_ (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#63 2 years ago

As a kid of the 80s, there are just far too many to list. Lots of nostalgia & toy-related cartoon tie-ins dominated the era, and most of them aren't as good as you remember.

I guess the real question is....... what cartoons of the past are you willing to watch today, or collect on bluray, that stand the test of time & appeal to all generations for there humor, iconic characters & impressive animation?

The answer is pretty clear to me & it's not even up for debate......ALL THE CLASSIC MERRY MELODIES/LOONEY TUNES/TEX AVERY CARTOONS. You could have an endless debate just trying to create a Top 50 list of these cartoons alone. The Golden Age of Animation. Thank god WB continues to persevere & restore them for collectors today.

After that there's the other iconic classics that just never get old....

1) MGM Tom & Jerry cartoons (and especially those really strange Gene Deitch early 60s cartoons from Czechoslovakia!)

2) The first 25 episodes of Scooby Doo Where Are You? (even the New Scooby-Doo Movies with special guest stars)

3) Johnny Quest (the finest animation work Hanna Barbera ever produced)

4) The Max Fleischer 1940 Superman Cartoons (The most expensive, beautifully animated shorts ever made)

5) The original 1967 Spider-Man cartoons (with it's iconic theme song)

Honorable mention to the first 10 season of the Simpsons, Beavis & Butthead, the Flintstones, Superfriends vs The Legion of Doom, and Thundar the Barbarian. There's just so much great animation out there.

#64 2 years ago

Or does anyone remember Mouseterpiece Theater, hosted by great late George Plimpton, which aired on the early days of the Disney Channel?

That's where they showed countless classic Disney shorts, which are largely ignored today. The old Donald Duck, Mickey & Goofy cartoons were almost on par with the old Looney Tunes, but they haven't been released in any format really since the 90s. Disney locked them away in the vault, which is really a shame for collectors.

I thought that the launch of Disney+ would lead to a floodgate release of all these classic Disney Silly Symphonies, so that they'd finally all be available for streaming. They've released a few classics, like "Clock Cleaners", "Thru the Mirror", "Three Little Pigs", "The Golden Touch" etc etc. Fingers are crossed that they'll continue to make more available, but a bluray remastered collection would be ideal.

Disney's 1943 short Chicken Little is hands-down one of the best cartoons of all time. A WWII era classic with it's anti-Nazi message & the wolf using his psychology book (originally Mein Kampf) to create mass hysteria. No happy ending in this one either, which makes it so great. Haha. That's likely why Disney keeps them locked away.

#70 2 years ago
    Quoted from Andy_B:

What about the old Star Trek cartoon? I really liked the fact they had the original cast doing the voices.

I think those are actually streaming on Paramount+ now. I know the fans enjoyed them as a sequel to TOS after it got cancelled. The animation format gave them lots of freedom to tell stories they couldn't really do on the show. In fact I think there was a writers strike at the time & many of TOS writers wrote for the cartoon for extra cash.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HoakyPoaky.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-childhood-cartoon?tu=HoakyPoaky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.