• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P1030830.JPG
wasted-shot.jpg
tn_image-A36.jpg

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

I was playing pinball the other day, on same <unnamed> game that had a LOUSY center shot, and I just thought -- "Dang, that's one shot you can't mess up in pinball. It has to be designed to be very satisfying."

What's your favorite and least favorite center shot in pinball?

Post1:
1. What center shot/title you like the most?
2. Why do you think it's your most favorite?

Post2:
1. What center shot/title you like the least?
2. Why do you think it's your least favorite?

Let's have some fun here!
More important, I'd like to learn what the range of center shot types are and get a sense of why people like/dislike them: Please clearly mention what "TYPE" of center shot you are referring to.

A. Lane
B. Ramp
C. Scoop
D. Spinner
E. Target bank
F. Toy (bash)
G. Toy (other)
H. ???

After a few pages of favorites, I'll put a poll together. How will I do this? I'll take the posts with the most thumbs up... Do your best to earn them...

a. BE sure and read the thread, and vote a thumbs up on the posts you agree with. Cast a few thumbs down on the ones you strongly disagree with.

b. MAKE TWO POSTS IF YOU WANT THE MOST VOTES. One for your favorite and one for your least favorite. WHY??? Because that way people are not voting on (X and Y) being agreeable or disagreeable for them. Two posts ! This will greatly increase your chances of picking up votes.
c. Go ahead and link your post up above. If you find it's already been linked, you might want to re-read the posts and see if your most/least favorite center shot has already been declared by someone else.

Have fun!
mof

#2 9 years ago

Current Poll Candidates based on thumbs ups for best center shot:

1. ACDC (toy)
2. LOTR (ramp+magnet)
3. MM (toy)
4. Scared Stiff (toy)
5. Iron Man (?)

Current list is toy-heavy. Let's balance it up. I'm looking forward to more contributions/votes from people more in the "flow camp" who prefer flow action: (ramps/spinners/lanes) over toys.

#3 9 years ago

My favorite center shot in pinball would be in Space Shuttle.
It's a ramp.
It's my fave since it's used for multiball, and I like that I don't have to look up from the flippers to make the shot from BOTH flippers. AND. The shot does not spoon-feed back to the flippers.

-mof

#4 9 years ago

My favorite center shot is the bell in AC/DC premium/LE. Why? Because it just feels so damn good!

#5 9 years ago

My favorite center shot would have to be the crate in Scared Stiff because it's super fun to rack up points hitting it in "Terror from the Crate" mode. I think I find it fun because of the way it feeds the ball(s) back into the playfield so you have to gain control to repeatedly make the shot without losing the multiball rather than just timing a repeatable ramp that keeps feeding back to a flipper.

#6 9 years ago

Without a doubt the MM castle. Just so satisfying to launch your ball against the bridge and into the moat, and then bashing down the gate and finally into that juicy castle.

#7 9 years ago

One of my least favorite center shots is in any shot that travels the full distance of the playfield from flippers to rear of the machine (or near the rear). Then if the shot misses, the time spent waiting for the ball to travel up there, and then fail, then dink donk it's way back to the flippers or travel SDTM is a waste of my time.

PinBot, and Woz fit this category, but thankfully in these cases, the dead center spot is a post or target that divides the two shots, so I won't count them. But I'm not a fan of the design of either one.

I'd pick AFM as my "second least" favorite center shot with a target on it. I hate making a perfect dead center shot in AFM, and my reward is a SDTM ball return. I just find it bizarre that a great shot is rewarded with a drain. The endless stop 'n go in the game, when you actually do make the shot only adds to the misery.

I prefer much prefer a ramp dead center, where the velocity is the risk factor (not the angle of the shot). If you make the shot perfectly, but it's not strong enough, you drain, and you learn to watch your velocity on the shot.

-mof

Post edited by mof: Found a worse shot (Whirlwind -- a few posts down)

#8 9 years ago

The center shot on Big Daddy is my favorite. One lone drop target right in the middle of the playfield. But it counts for a lot. Miss it and the rebound will send the ball SDTM.

#9 9 years ago

Least favorite center shot I'd have to say is feeding the VUK in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I feel that MSF is a better game than most give it credit for. I agree with some of the shortcomings people point out in it, but it has decent depth and offers a good challenge. To me just about every shot in the game feels super tight and that center lane that feeds the VUK to Frank's hands is tighter than (insert inappropriate metaphor here).

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

The center shot on Big Daddy is my favorite. One lone drop target right in the middle of the playfield. But it counts for a lot. Miss it and the rebound will send the ball SDTM.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=242&picno=230
And those are some tiny flippers!!! Yikes. That game would take <guts> to play.

-mof

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=242&picno=230
And those are some tiny flippers!!! Yikes. That game would take <guts> to play.
-mof

Look at the outlanes. Short games are the norm.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

My favorite center shot is the bell in AC/DC premium/LE. Why? Because it just feels so damn good!

Is it a bash toy, or does it swing freely, and move with the impact of the ball?
-mof

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from TheQuickest49:

Least favorite center shot I'd have to say is feeding the VUK in Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. I feel that MSF is a better game than most give it credit for. I agree with some of the shortcomings people point out in it, but it has decent depth and offers a good challenge. To me just about every shot in the game feels super tight and that center lane that feeds the VUK to Frank's hands is tighter than (insert inappropriate metaphor here).

Nice, I wasn't able to ascertain why you dislike the shot...
-mof

#14 9 years ago

My favorite center shot would have to be the crate in Scared Stiff because it's super fun to rack up points hitting it in "Terror from the Crate" mode. I think I find it fun because of the way it feeds the ball(s) back into the playfield so you have to gain control to repeatedly make the shot without losing the multiball rather than just timing a repeatable ramp that keeps feeding back to a flipper.

Yeah, I remember liking that shot, it's unique. How does the ball get fed back after you make it?
-mof

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Is it a bash toy, or does it swing freely, and move with the impact of the ball?

It's a free swinging pendulum. If you hit it just right, the ball will actually go underneath it and into the saucer behind it. You need to do this to access the lower playfield during "Hells Bells". Nailing that shot into the saucer when you have 3x playfield going is such a rush!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

TheQuickest49 said:

Yeah, I remember liking that shot, it's unique. How does the ball get fed back after you make it?
-mof

It kicks back out of the VUK that is under the left ramp so the ball pops out right back in front of the crate heading towards the pops.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Nice, I wasn't able to ascertain why you dislike the shot...
-mof

It's just tighter than the blue blazes of hell. At least it feels that way to me. Like I said, the whole game feels tight to me, I always feel like I just barely miss everything, but that center shot feels like the tightest one. I've tried trapping a lot to slow the game down and aim shots, I've tried keeping the ball moving to try and fall into a groove and start hitting shots reliably, no single strategy has been more reliable than any other.

#18 9 years ago

It's just tighter than the blue blazes of hell. At least it feels that way to me. Like I said, the whole game feels tight to me, I always feel like I just barely miss everything, but that center shot feels like the tightest one. I've tried trapping a lot to slow the game down and aim shots, I've tried keeping the ball moving to try and fall into a groove and start hitting shots reliably, no single strategy has been more reliable than any other.

Can you widen the shot a hair to make it more enjoyable? I did that with the scoop on the left of my Cyclone, and the game is much more fun...

-mof

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

It's a free swinging pendulum. If you hit it just right, the ball will actually go underneath it and into the saucer behind it. You need to do this to access the lower playfield during "Hells Bells". Nailing that shot into the saucer when you have 3x playfield going is such a rush!

Oh cool, something to look for now -- I have never been compelled to play it. I need an enthusiast to give me a tour some day.
-mof

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Can you widen the shot a hair to make it more enjoyable? I did that with the scoop on the left of my Cyclone, and the game is much more fun...

-mof

Ramp to the right, target bank and Sarcophagus scoop to the left. Nothing really to move unfortunately. I still enjoy the game. I'm not a fantastic player, but I feel like this game sharpens me up a good bit when I jump off of it and start knocking balls around on other tables. I get a similar feeling from Junkyard, but that game doesn't hold my interest like MSF does. I can put 4 or 5 games on JY and just walk away, MSF I can play 15 or 20 a lot of times. Then I go play some Dr. Dude or EATPM and I feel like I'm pretty sharp and can advance pretty deep into the game with minimal frustration.

#21 9 years ago

+1 for the crate

#22 9 years ago

tn_image-A36.jpgtn_image-A36.jpgHaunted House secret passage, just a cool idea.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I love this toy too. In addition the raptor cage in JP. Neither is a center shot but the violent kickback is worth it

#25 9 years ago

Humm....

Let's see.

MOVE YOUR CAR might be my favorite.
The center drop target on Baby Pacman sucks. It's almost always a SDTM proposition.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

My least favorite center shot is in any shot that travels the full distance of the playfield from flippers to rear of the machine (or near the rear). Then if the shot misses, the time spent waiting for the ball to travel up there, and then fail, then dink donk it's way back to the flippers or travel SDTM is a waste of my time.
PinBot, and Woz fit this category, but thankfully in these cases, the dead center spot is a post or target that divides the two shots, so I won't count them. But I'm not a fan of the design of either one.
I'd pick AFM as my absolute least favorite center shot with a target on it. I hate making a perfect dead center shot in AFM, and my reward is a SDTM ball return. I just find it bizarre that a great shot is rewarded with a drain. The endless stop 'n go in the game, when you actually do make the shot only adds to the misery.
I prefer much prefer a ramp dead center, where the velocity is the risk factor (not the angle of the shot). If you make the shot perfectly, but it's not strong enough, you drain, and you learn to watch your velocity on the shot.
-mof

AFM is easy, never go dead center on the target bank, ever go dead center on the hallway. only go dead center on the open drop target.

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

AFM is easy, only go dead center on the open drop target.

That's my point. I've shot dead center on that drop, nailed it, and drained SDTM. I think it's a bizarre design decision.

-mof

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

That's my point. I've shot dead center on that drop, nailed it, and drained SDTM. I think it's a bizarre design decision.
-mof

dont dead center the drop target, only dead center when you are the target it down. Otherwise take the drop target out off center by hitting the side targets. go in on an angle you come back out at an angle and its much safer.

#29 9 years ago

Firepower. Came to mind right away. Slipping between the two target banks to hit that center target is tough, but satisfying.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

-mof

You can hold the left flipper button in at plunge, launch the ball around the outer orbit and then hit the centre drop targets with the left flipper to lower it one shot ... while the ball save is still on. It's a cool skill shot.

Besides, pinball is all about risk/reward. Any shot that progresses the game rules with big score rewards (like AFM saucer) shouldn't be risk free.

Otherwise pinball would be really easy and really boring.

#31 9 years ago

Iron man when you hit it to start monger or Jericho. Most favorite

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from garman411:

Iron Man when you hit it to start monger or Jericho. Most favorite

DO OR DIE

#33 9 years ago

I think pinball 2000 has the biggest contrast between best and worst for basically the same platform machine. RFM center shot which is a pop up ramp that launches the ball to another level is outstanding and gratifying while the SWEP1 is extremely lame and to easy to hit the extra wide ramp, not to mention repetitive.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from dos_reboot:

You can hold the left flipper button in at plunge, launch the ball around the outer orbit and then hit the centre drop targets with the left flipper to lower it one shot ... while the ball save is still on. It's a cool skill shot.

That's good to know, thanks!
-mof

#35 9 years ago

Favorite center shot, Lotr center ramp, rip the spinner and lock in the ring.
Always fun and a great way to start a mode.
Least favorite, mm castle shot.
If you don't hit it just right it center drains every time.

I prefer a center shot that is a magnet, ramp, drop target, anything but a bash toy.
Nothing against bash toys. They just seem to be the go to thing for so many games lately. I like to see the designers mix it up a little.

#36 9 years ago

I already posted AFM as my least favorite center shot, but I'm actually going to RECALL that post. I went through my collection and found the most wasted center shot of all time -- and it's actually a RULE mistake, not a design liability.

Whirlwind. The shot JUST left and right of center are great (sweep drops) and a (single drop)... But this stationary target is UNSATISFYING compared to all the other shots, and it has no importance to the game. I'm afraid this is the worst of all time (in a game I consider the best desert island pin of all time...)

-mof
wasted-shot.jpgwasted-shot.jpg

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I already posted AFM as my least favorite center shot, but I'm actually going to RECALL that post. I went through my collection and found the most wasted center shot of all time -- and it's actually a RULE mistake, not a design liability.
Whirlwind. The shot JUST left and right of center are great (sweep drops) and a (single drop)... But this stationary target is UNSATISFYING compared to all the other shots, and it has no importance to the game. I'm afraid this is the worst of all time (in a game I consider the best desert island pin of all time...)
-mof

wasted-shot.jpg 7 KB

Wow, you make a great point.
It's so unimportant I never even thought about it. The only time I even pay attention to it is when I get the 100,000 lit. Then it becomes a mini game to me to see how many times I can hit it without draining sdtm.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Wow, you make a great point.
It's so unimportant I never even thought about it. The only time I even pay attention to it is when I get the 100,000 lit. Then it becomes a mini game to me to see how many times I can hit it without draining sdtm.

LOL -- when does the damn thing ever light up???
-mof

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from mof:

LOL -- when does the damn thing ever light up???
-mof

Using the cellar, get upper jets and lower jets lit in the same ball and the target lights for 100,000 per hit.
Also can do this by hitting the center target umpteen times I think.
Or it might be the left inlane. I will have to look again. The cool part is when you hit the target when lit it flashes and the 3bank drops light flashes and it makes a cool thunder sound.

#40 9 years ago

Couple of favorites:
Ring ramp - LOTR
SHOOT THE PYRAMID! - Stargate

#41 9 years ago

Walking Dead prison head feels like hitting a sponge, never registers, and then dumps it SDTM.

#42 9 years ago

Crotch(Body) shot on Bally Black Belt only after completing the four(Left Side, Right Side, Left Leg, Right Leg) other shots, leaving it for last. Lights a timed Extra Ball award for getting the crotch shot last.
P1030830.JPGP1030830.JPG

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from LEE:

Crotch(Body) shot on Bally Black Belt only after completing the four(Left Side, Right Side, Left Leg, Right Leg) other shots, leaving it for last. Lights a timed Extra Ball award for getting the crotch shot last.

Thanks for showing us this. I think you made this a better day for all pinball -- because of this post. What a nutty shot. (get it?)
-mof

#44 9 years ago

I also love the Ring ramp in LOTR - when you get a nice clean shot and that ball flies up and gets grabbed by the magnet it feels pretty cool.

Center shot on Wrath of Olympus is pretty fun too - especially when you have the shot multiplier on it doubled up and hit it when completing a monster mode.

#45 9 years ago

It depends on where the player is in the game. As for just fun-to-shoot, Viking's spinner is great. But specific instances where center shot is awesome are:

Whitewater for the vacation jackpot. Machine goes apeshit. Awesome.
Destroying the ring on LoTR.
Collecting the final A-Bomb shot on "move your car" in CFTBL.
Cashing in on "do or die" in IM.
Billionaires club shot on BoP.

#46 9 years ago

A lot of praise for LOTR. I'll have to get some more plays in on that pin some time soon.
Glad to hear some props for a center spinner shot (Viking / Harlem Globetrotters)
-mof

#47 9 years ago

Favorite : Center Scoop of ST:TNG
Why : such a nice loud <<PLONK!!>>

#48 9 years ago

DESW ramp is a fun shot because of the roaring sound of a tie fighter.

#49 9 years ago

- Vengeance on Star Trek
- Crane on Junkyard
- The Elevator in WHO dunnit
- Magic Mirror in POTO

#50 9 years ago

Least favorite might be centaur, the ball just slips right through the targets

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 8.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
Decorations
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
$ 18.95
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball
Cabinet parts
$ 26.50
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ann Arbor, MI
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New Cumberland, PA
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-center-shot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.