220px-Sword_of_shannara_hardcover (resized).jpg
af (resized).jpg
11 (resized).jpg
cyoa (resized).jpg
iSpy (resized).jpg
BD7B59EC-EC8E-4BEB-84D5-AD38DA83D9E6 (resized).jpeg
31ZM+AEFJVL._SL500_ (resized).jpg
CF4D029B-286F-45FF-B9F2-63B50444136B (resized).jpeg

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

What's your favorite book as a kid you can still read today? Recently read " where the red fern grows" and " down the long hills".Both as good as I remember

#2 4 years ago

Little House In The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. First book I learned to read, other than simple, very few page, kids books. It made me love reading. Every once in a great while I'll dig one of her books out and read it.

Historical fiction, yet I like it. And some of the books filling in the details about her writing and about some of the characters in her books.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

“Alas, Babylon” a book I read in Jr high school. Read it again recently, it’s still very good.
About survivors of a nuclear war in Florida.
I will also admit to occasionally revisiting Arnold Lobel’s “Frog and Toad” books.

#4 4 years ago

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Loved it as a kid, love it now, and love that my daughter loves it!

#5 4 years ago

I think I could re read all Louis l' amour books. Especially the sackett ones.

#6 4 years ago

Everyone Poops. Lots of pictures.

#7 4 years ago

Boxcar Children. Read it in 2nd grade originally, have read excerpts here and there over the years, would definitely read again if I had a copy handy.

#8 4 years ago

Not sure if this counts....

41PUo9ZBHmL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg41PUo9ZBHmL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_ (resized).jpg4767436 (resized).jpg4767436 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

One I made both my kids read a couple times was go ask alice. Should be required reading in junior high I think

#10 4 years ago

"Never ending story" and "Momo" by Michael Ende

#11 4 years ago
E6CA9149-A299-4A5C-A8FC-639F9BF089B3 (resized).jpegE6CA9149-A299-4A5C-A8FC-639F9BF089B3 (resized).jpeg
#12 4 years ago

Ender’s Game
Such an amazing book. Kind of a bummer the movie ended up being a bit of a flop.

#13 4 years ago

As a Young Kid, The Enormous Egg.

A Chicken Lays a Huge egg, and a Triceratops Hatches.
A small town erupts with media, and confusion, at a rural boys new pet.

I grew up with Dinos, Fossils, Geology, and digs.
This book inspired me in the early 60s to write about birds being the descendants of dinosaurs.
I was ridiculed for this theory for many years.

Good read still today.

Another was Key to the Treasure....A Treasure Map, and a hunt.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#14 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ender’s Game
Such an amazing book. Kind of a bummer the movie ended up being a bit of a flop.

I wish they would re-boot this as a series on HBO. Maybe ten episodes per book.

#15 4 years ago

Phantom Tollbooth was my favorite. Milo was great. I don’t quite get it as an adult as I did back then. Strange how that plays out.

#16 4 years ago

Charlie and the choc factory and james and the giant peach were read several times growing up

#17 4 years ago

Playboy...just for the insightful articles of course.

#19 4 years ago

Animal Farm

#20 4 years ago
CF4D029B-286F-45FF-B9F2-63B50444136B (resized).jpegCF4D029B-286F-45FF-B9F2-63B50444136B (resized).jpeg
#21 4 years ago

Do Garfield, Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side count?

Also I re-read many of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark (Books 1-3) stories and still can't believe that they were allowed to be sold in the Scholatic Book Club magazines lol

#22 4 years ago

The old man and the sea - Hemingway.

I remember watching the film on TV as a child, and read the book soon after. many years later I got another copy of the book and read it cover to cover in one sitting. Tried to find a copy on DVD, without much success - even ended up getting the 1990 version with Anthony Quinn (nowhere as good as the original)
I eventually managed to track down a copy, the back cover had Korean writing on it - and the title was "The old man and the SAE", I wondered who he was writing to.

Still read the book regularly, and still love it.

#23 4 years ago

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

#24 4 years ago

Seventh grade my buddy loaned me this book for over
the summer. Finished the entire 6 book series while in high
school. Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. Fantastic!

31ZM+AEFJVL._SL500_ (resized).jpg31ZM+AEFJVL._SL500_ (resized).jpg
#25 4 years ago

Huckleberry Finn and/or Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

#26 4 years ago

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

#27 4 years ago

We read to our daughter every night, so over the last couple years ive gone through a lot of great reads. The phantom tollbooth Most of the Roald dhal books, the bfg, Matilda, Charlie and the chocolate factory, James and the giant peach. Also wrinkle in time. The Harry Potter collection. Next is the hobbit.

My wife reads to her books like, Charlottes web, Judy moody, baby sitters club, Thea stilton’s books, ect.

#28 4 years ago

Shogun (James Clavell) and the Dune series (Frank Herbert). I loved their immersive story telling as a kid, and as an adult they are just as enjoyable.

#29 4 years ago

The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Silmarillion. Huge Tolkien fan here.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from DBLM:

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. Loved it as a kid, love it now, and love that my daughter loves it!

I read a lot. I read for about an hour every day. I'm a slow reader, maybe 15 pages an hour, so it generally takes me about a month to read a 500 page book.
Still, I've read a lot of books in my life and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the only fiction book I've ever started and not finished. I bought the complete edition that had all the stories combined in one book. I read the first two stories and gave up. I wish I could understand the appeal of it.

#31 4 years ago

I was riveted by the Rama trilogy by Arthur Clarke. There’s so much exploration, mystery and intrigue. Great setting as well. Highly recommended.

BD7B59EC-EC8E-4BEB-84D5-AD38DA83D9E6 (resized).jpegBD7B59EC-EC8E-4BEB-84D5-AD38DA83D9E6 (resized).jpeg
#32 4 years ago

I was about 20 when Harry Potter came out. If that had been around when I was a kid, maybe that would be my answer. I found it entertaining enough as an adult.

We had to read A Wind in the Door when I was in fifth grade. I read that again as an adult and it was ok. Wouldn't read it again though. Some day I want to read Watership Down again. Loved that as a kid. I read The Stand at 15 and again at about 25. Not a kids book, but probably my favorite book. Currently reading the books from the Robin Hobb Farseer universe. Those are considered young adult fantasy, but they are great overall. I'm going to finish the 13th book in the series today.

#33 4 years ago

Not technically reading books, but these were my favorite!

iSpy (resized).jpgiSpy (resized).jpg
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

The Outsiders by S.E Hinton

Another fav

#35 4 years ago

Madeline L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time" bowled me over around age eight.

#36 4 years ago

I was a voracious reader as a kid, and by the time I was about 8 or so, I was reading adult literature. I was reading Douglas Adams and Stephen King in middle school. So, any of those classics, like IT or the Hitchhiker's Guide series.
My favorite book as a kid is still my favorite now, though. Tailchaser's Song, by Tad Williams.

#37 4 years ago

Casey at the Bat

My dad, whose name is Casey, read it to me when I was a kid. I now read it to my son, whose name is Casey.

#38 4 years ago

as a younger kid, Lucifer's hammer, Water ship down and the first book I was made to read in school I actually loved Earth Abides. I still read that one from time to time.

#39 4 years ago

The Turner Diaries...but I didn't read much as a kid.

#40 4 years ago

Onion John

#41 4 years ago

I probably read all of these as a kid. They used to have a huge rack of them at the public library. Glad to see they are still produced today, but the artwork of the original books is far superior.

cyoa (resized).jpgcyoa (resized).jpg

If we're talking young adult years, then it was any of the short story collections from Steven King. So many of these stories were turned into movies. I should probably read again since it's been so long.

11 (resized).jpg11 (resized).jpg

And if its my favorite book ever? Flip a coin on Orwell. I can't tell you how many times I've read both of these classics.

af (resized).jpgaf (resized).jpg

#42 4 years ago

What books now can you read every few years, and not get bored with then? Point of impact and time to hunt by Stephen hunter might be the best books I've ever read. Wish movie shooter would of followed book better

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from mrm_4:

Ender’s Game

Great book. Was surprised to find it on the United States Marine Corps official reading list as a junior officer. https://www.usmcofficer.com/marine-corps-knowledge/commandants-reading-list/

My favorite book is still "The Hobbit". I bought the disks and listen to the audiobook at least once a year. Great for long car rides. It's simple enough that if I'm in a mind-numbingly boring task I can go over the story in my head to keep myself entertained.

As far as kids books that I read as a kid that I actively read to my kids? The Berenstain Bears still hold up pretty solid.

#44 4 years ago

Dune, Lord of the Rings, Chariots of the Gods (I probably don't have the credulity to reread this now, but it was fun as a kid). I read a lot, many of the ones already listed. One that stands out in particular was Peter Benchley's Jaws. I read that one because my dad thought I was too young to see the movie. After reading it, I was able to convince him (with a lot of whining) to take me. He was right (I wasn't even 10 yet). The jump scene with the severed head in the wrecked fishing boat still gets me.

#45 4 years ago

Not kids books but I read both in middle school and again in high school.

Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson

#46 4 years ago

My son started showing an interest in Goosebumps, probably because of the movie. I could see myself enjoying those again reading with him.

Thanks
Blake

#47 4 years ago

A neighbor gave me this book in high school. Read it my freshman year and fell in love with the author and the subject matter. Have been reading him for the last 20+ years. He only releases 1 book a year and they are always worth the wait.

220px-Sword_of_shannara_hardcover (resized).jpg220px-Sword_of_shannara_hardcover (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago

Dune
2001 (The whole trilogy)
A Wrinkle in Time (1st and 2nd book of the series. I don't think I ever read the others, I probably should.)

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I read a lot. I read for about an hour every day. I'm a slow reader, maybe 15 pages an hour, so it generally takes me about a month to read a 500 page book.
Still, I've read a lot of books in my life and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy is the only fiction book I've ever started and not finished. I bought the complete edition that had all the stories combined in one book. I read the first two stories and gave up. I wish I could understand the appeal of it.

Sorry it was not your jam. I loved that it was fun and irreverent. It also taught me many valuable life lessons such as to always carry a towel (they are incredibly handy) and that when you need a random number, 42 is always the answer.

#50 4 years ago

I also suggest The Phantom Tollbooth. I even have it on Audible read by Rain Wilson

There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-book-as-a-kid-you-cab-read-today?hl=kmann and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.