28265923230_6ff36227f6_o (resized).jpg
35055492886_61ca9194b1_o (resized).jpg
34931207802_9551515e5b_o (resized).jpg
20170520_155827 (resized).jpg
20170520_155758 (resized).jpg
MK2_zps19df79ec (resized).JPG
IMG_9463_zps7bdb914a (resized).JPG
27883201903_9ba36c9264_k (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago

I'm a street Figher player. Lots of other great games, but Street Fighter is my jam. Right now I'm playing Alpha 2, Third Strike, and SFV.

IMG_5591 (resized).JPGIMG_5591 (resized).JPGIMG_5592 (resized).JPGIMG_5592 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

I own pretty much every Street Fighter outside of the EX series. I was missing a Hyper Fighting board, but I have one en route right now, looking forward to firing that up, I haven't played the classic in ages.

Both Alpha 2 and 3 are great, I go back and forth, but right now sticking with 2, and it's somewhat simpler game. Somewhat only because it still has meter management, multiple supers, the custom combo system, alpha counters, air blocks, etc.

Third Strike is a religion in SoCal I've discovered. I stopped playing in the period when it came out, so I'm playing catchup right now, but it's a great game, despite some flaws in the balance and tiers.

I'm working on linking two Astro Cities with single player control panels for head to head Third Strike action. Local guy is making me a link cable, and I have some cleanup work to do on the cab itself, the monitor focus is a little soft, I have some work to do. But once you've played that way you get spoiled, it's really nice to have your own screen and elbow room.

For SFV I play on PC, though I own the PS4 version too. Not a huge fan of SFIV, not playing that much anymore.

If I had the time to learn another game I'd try and get at least semi decent at Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, I have it, but it's kinda daunting to explore, it's a really deep and crazy game, lot of mechanics and unique characters.

I'd also love to be better at Vampire Savior (I think it was ported to US consoles as Darkstalkers 3?) that's a beautiful and cool game. I fire it up sometimes, I have a CPS2 multiboard, so I have all those games.

Of my 6 cabs 3 are basically dedicated to Street Fighters, I'm a fan.

I mostly put my time into SFV though, just because it's the active game and you can play online, so it's easy to match up against real people at any time.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What was the fighting game that misspelled "victory" with "VICTOLY"?

Samurai Showdown.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

my wife is a (classic) SF fanatic

Keeper!

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from boostedskex:

I also play a good bit of SFV online but, check out FightCade. There is a decent online community to play against. I love playing SFIII Third Strike online!!! Im currently playing on a SF2 cab (PC).

Emulation + netcode just isn't that appealing when you have native hardware sitting here. There are plenty of players in SoCal, there's a weekly Friday meetup at an underground arcade my friend runs if I want real competition. Meaning they'll masacre me lol.

SFV in an old school SFII cab, that's pretty great!

#46 7 years ago

What I really need to do is get a regular fight night going again, I used to host a small weekly, 5-6 people at most. We played SFIV right at the end of Ultra, and then moved to SFV, but couldn't keep the momentum going. My friend's arcade is amazing, 12 linked Astro Cities, all Capcom fighters. But it's crowded and full of killers lol. You really level up faster if you play sets with the same people, and have time to learn, small groups are great that way. But SFV didn't grab everyone, and it died off.

Maybe we need to learn Guilty Gear Xrd lol. I don't think SFV is gonna bring people right now.

It's not a bad game, but it's got issues. The netcode situation sucks. After the Kolin update today it's even worse. And online is all there is, single player content lacks, to be kind. Just the traditional arcade mode would help that a ton, let people use it to practice and learn new characters.

And it's really rushdown heavy, lots of frame trapping and 50/50 mixups, easy punish combos off of crush counters, v-trigger combo extensions, and to top it all off, the new white life mechanic in season 2 recovers so slow that block strings might as well be eating damage.

It's still fun! But I wish they would buff defense, or add a new defensive mechanic. The Alpha series had Alpha Counters. SFIII had parries. SFIV had focus attacks, FADC, invincible backdashes, crouch teching.

SFV has v-reversals, and they're frankly not even that good for most characters, are straight garbage for others, you can throw or command grab people out of them (Laura player, love doing that shit) and they cost you a whole bar of v-meter. It's a shit deal for defense.

You'd open up the gameplay with something to balance that. A just in time defense, not a full parry, but something that added 2 frames of recovery to an attack if you tap block as the attack hits, keeping them from following up with a button without risking a counterhit, and you reduce the pressure. Reset to neutral. So you have a way of keeping moves out, and go back to you each jockying for a button. But with some risk, because if you're late you eat the hit, and if you're too early you miss the just in time, and they can continue their block string. So it would take some skills, some good reads, some good reactions, some lucky guesses lol. That would elevate the higher level of play.

But since tapping back when you think a hit is coming and holding it just means you're going to go into block, so it's not nearly as risky as the Third Strike style forward parry, and it's a natural motion. Much more friendly to new players.

1 month later
#63 6 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is one of my favorites! Surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet. That and Third Strike are miles ahead of everything else.
I loved Mortal Kombat as a kid, but think it feels clunky by comparison now.

I need to do some work on the monitor for my Neo Geo cab, but once I get it up and running I'd really like to spend some more time with Garou. I've played it, but never seriously, don't really know the ins and outs.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

It's got a little bit of a Third Strike feel (not to oversell it.)
I envy you Cali fighting gamers and your community

We're definitely lucky to have an active community. Third Strike is alive and well here, at my local spot it's way more alive than SFV right now. That's just the 3S legacy of SoCal though.

1 month later
#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Meph:

I am going to try and locate a Blast City or two here on the East Coast eventually.

Nice. I'd like to get a high rez candy some day for Naomi, but the Blast City rep with monitors going bad has me wary of them. If I ever find a nice New Net City though ...

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I have two official SFII Turbo/Hyper machines. One is dedicated Dynamo 25" and one is 19" non dedicated. You can never have too much of a good thing. Obviously, it's my favorite fighting game.

Nice! I just got my Hyper Fighting board working, the Z80 was bad, didn't have any sound. Of course it was the last thing we tried replacing ...

1 week later
#75 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I'm still on a quest for a SF3: 3rd Strike, Soul Caliber 2 and Tekken 5.

I just saw a Tekken 5 board on eBay a day or two ago. Third Strikes are becoming hard to find!

#78 6 years ago

Injustice 2 has an amazing story mode, great polish, but the gameplay ... not a fan. The dial-a-combo juggle system and weird animation stiffness is just not appealing, I never feel satisfying interaction while playing. I haven't finished the story yet, but after that I dunno how much I'll play.

If I wanted to get into a game more like that style I'd play more Tekken 7, I did pick that up. I dunno, I messed with training mode for a bit, but I just don't know that I'm big on 3D fighters. I haven't played one since Soul Calibur and I'm not getting hooked. But I need a friend who actually knows Tekken to come over and run some sets with me before I can really make a call, I don't know WTF I'm doing in it yet.

SFV has issues, but I get away from them by going backwards, have Alpha 3 loaded on one of my cabs, been playing that a lot lately, and if not that then Third Strike.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hmmm.. I am glad you posted that. My son has been dying to get Injustice 2, and I have mixed feelings - glad I'm not the only one. Maybe we will take another look at SFV.

Hey, lots of people like it. And I think it's pretty easy to get into, you can mash and see thing happen, and the execution is pretty forgiving once you get used to it. But it's not for me.

#85 6 years ago

There's a new Dragonball Z fighting game coming out, and holy shit it looks amazing. Wish I cared about Dragonball Z ...

It's all 3D rendered art, but with clever cel shading, looks better than the original cartoon. Crazy to see how far we've come from little sprites.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Not sure if you guys have checked out Tekken 7 yet, but it's outstanding...I highly recommend.

I have it for my PC, they sent Ars two review codes and the reviewer gave me the other and I did some quick testing on my rig as another data point for the review. Just messed about in training mode. I would have bought it anyways just because, but hey, free is nice.

Looks great, but I'm not really a 3D fighter player, so it didn't click with me right away. Not sure yet if I'll spend the time with it to get basic competence or not. Too many new fighters out now, it's nuts! Like right now I have:

Street Fighter V
King of Fighters XIV
Tekken 7
Injustice 2
Guilty Gear Revelator Rev 2

and there's no way I'm not picking up Dragonball FighterZ after seeing the gameplay, even if I don't play it hardcore it looks too cool to not check out, and we'll get more news on Marvel vs Capcom Infinite tonight.

Good time to be a fighting game fan.

1 month later
#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

aurich what do you think about mvsc Infinite?

I'm not a Marvel player, but I did try and out an alpha build of it at Evo last week. I think it's going to be fun, I'm more interested in learning it than MvsC3, I'll definitely buy and try, see if it's something I stick with.

I like the 2v2 + gem system, it feels like a good approach. The just-frame push block projectile reflecting is neat, the character switching is going to lead to some real madness, I think Marvel players will find all the wild shit they're looking for.

Hurts to not have X-Men on the roster, hope Marvel pulls their head out of their ass on that. The graphics are getting criticized, and I do think the art direction is lacking, but in person playing it I honestly thought it was a non issue.

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Anyone else hyped for the finished Mortal KOMBAT Plus project?
More info here...
http://mortalkombatplus.com/

Huh, never heard of it, interesting. I was never a big MK player, but if I had more space (lol) I wouldn't mind a dedicated cab, it's really a game that needs the proper button layout to feel right. And I'd probably run II, so this is interesting.

But ... fitting another cab right now isn't in the cards!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-arcade-fighting-games-and-why?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.