28265923230_6ff36227f6_o (resized).jpg
35055492886_61ca9194b1_o (resized).jpg
34931207802_9551515e5b_o (resized).jpg
20170520_155827 (resized).jpg
20170520_155758 (resized).jpg
MK2_zps19df79ec (resized).JPG
IMG_9463_zps7bdb914a (resized).JPG
27883201903_9ba36c9264_k (resized).jpg
There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Tekken 3, TAG, 4 and 5 - I love these, playing as KING mostly, just the 3d nature and music and fast pace.
Soul Caliber 2 - Just fun to spam and ring out people.
UMK3 - Wacky collection of characters (I'll never master one hahaha)
MVC2 - My favorite of the marvel/Capcom series.

#2 7 years ago

I'm not much of a fighting game guy. At all. I suck at all of them.

However, my favorite would have to be Killer Instinct, and KI2 - mainly because of the soundtrack.

#3 7 years ago

Mk1 & 2. Simply the best all around.

#4 7 years ago

when the original mortal kombat came out, all of us kids were stacking quarters on it to beat the one kid that knew all of the combos lol.

#5 7 years ago

Powerstone - A 3D fighter with environments done right. The sequel took wackiness up several notches and while imitated, no other game or series quite matched up.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Ballsofsteel:

when the original mortal kombat came out, all of us kids were stacking quarters on it to beat the one kid that knew all of the combos lol.

I miss those days, however I was the one everybody was trying to beat on MK

#7 7 years ago

Sega Heavy Weight Champ. My pop sales quadrupled while I had that game.

LTG : )

#8 7 years ago

Marvel vs capcom2 in particular for me.

Characters, tag team, combos, levels, call outs, special moves etc.

#9 7 years ago

MK2 because of my age when it came out.

The first one was pretty big, but I remember when they came out with MK2 it was crazy. That had a few machines at the malibu grand prix my mom would drop me off at while they went to the mall and people would queue up in to play it. Those games made some serious coin.

#10 7 years ago
Quoted from Bowlingpin:

Marvel vs capcom2 in particular for me.
Characters, tag team, combos, levels, call outs, special moves etc.

Awesomes game for sure.

#11 7 years ago

Street Fighter II (all versions from vanilla up through Super/Hyper/Turbo insanity) - Best balance in regards to approachable and some depth to strategy. Varied characters with true counters. Every character is viable if learned well. Definitely my favorite line of fighting games.

Mortal Kombat II - Best of the MK series by a huge margin. Great lineup of characters and solid controls. Definite peak of the series.

Soul Calibur 2 - Probably my favorite of the 3D fighters. Rock solid controls and a great cast of characters.

Killer Instinct 1 & 2 - Lots of issues with gameplay, but super nostalgic for me. Love the cheesy '90s extreme attitude.

King of Fighters (various) - Hit and miss depending on the year, but usually a solid fighting engine that has a lot of strategy to it.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - Can be a cheese fest, but you can't argue with the amazing roster and the over the top insanity. A button masher's dream.

Samurai Showdown 2 - Great controls and simple to learn, but there's a good amount of depth to explore there. Very accessible.

#12 7 years ago

One of my all time favorites has to be Desert Fox. Fight Rommel and his tanks.

109000401 (resized).jpg109000401 (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Garou: Mark of Wolves
The Last Blade (both good)
Samurai Showdown 2
King of Fighters '98
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Not going to lie, there are so many games on MAME that it's overwhelming. I chose versions based on the general consensus of fans of each series. If you own a PS2 or Xbox you can get a great value in the Street Fighter Anniversary. Even this last generation Street Fighter IV was pretty damn good. Personally, I tend to prefer 2D games that are animated.

#14 7 years ago

MK1 followed by MK2. nuff said

#15 7 years ago

I really enjoyed Soul Edge and Soul Calibur.

#16 7 years ago

Mortal Kombat II. Hands Down the best

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I'm not much of a fighting game guy. At all. I suck at all of them.
However, my favorite would have to be Killer Instinct, and KI2 - mainly because of the soundtrack.

C to the O to the M B O!

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

Powerstone - A 3D fighter with environments done right. The sequel took wackiness up several notches and while imitated, no other game or series quite matched up.

Must be played in a candy cab though

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

Street Fighter II Turbo
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike
Garou: Mark of Wolves
The Last Blade (both good)
Samurai Showdown 2
King of Fighters '98
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core
Not going to lie, there are so many games on MAME that it's overwhelming. I chose versions based on the general consensus of fans of each series. If you own a PS2 or Xbox you can get a great value in the Street Fighter Anniversary. Even this last generation Street Fighter IV was pretty damn good. Personally, I tend to prefer 2D games that are animated.

I've got 2 Street Fighter 2: 15th Anniversaries on location (neat game).
I also have a Samurai Showdown 2 in a bar too.

#20 7 years ago

Killer Instinct

Because Orchid has huge cans & a fat ass

Also I like hearing "ULTRAAAAAA-AAAA-AAAA combo" when the stars align

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I've got 2 Street Fighter 2: 15th Anniversaries on location (neat game).
I also have a Samurai Showdown 2 in a bar too.

Yeah, I typed turbo; but Hyper is the one I was actually thinking of. Pretty much the best version of SFII. I'd love to own one someday. I have a Samurai Showdown 2 cart, but nothing to play it on.

#22 7 years ago

I'm a street Figher player. Lots of other great games, but Street Fighter is my jam. Right now I'm playing Alpha 2, Third Strike, and SFV.

IMG_5591 (resized).JPGIMG_5591 (resized).JPGIMG_5592 (resized).JPGIMG_5592 (resized).JPG

#23 7 years ago

I own pretty much every Street Fighter outside of the EX series. I was missing a Hyper Fighting board, but I have one en route right now, looking forward to firing that up, I haven't played the classic in ages.

Both Alpha 2 and 3 are great, I go back and forth, but right now sticking with 2, and it's somewhat simpler game. Somewhat only because it still has meter management, multiple supers, the custom combo system, alpha counters, air blocks, etc.

Third Strike is a religion in SoCal I've discovered. I stopped playing in the period when it came out, so I'm playing catchup right now, but it's a great game, despite some flaws in the balance and tiers.

I'm working on linking two Astro Cities with single player control panels for head to head Third Strike action. Local guy is making me a link cable, and I have some cleanup work to do on the cab itself, the monitor focus is a little soft, I have some work to do. But once you've played that way you get spoiled, it's really nice to have your own screen and elbow room.

For SFV I play on PC, though I own the PS4 version too. Not a huge fan of SFIV, not playing that much anymore.

If I had the time to learn another game I'd try and get at least semi decent at Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, I have it, but it's kinda daunting to explore, it's a really deep and crazy game, lot of mechanics and unique characters.

I'd also love to be better at Vampire Savior (I think it was ported to US consoles as Darkstalkers 3?) that's a beautiful and cool game. I fire it up sometimes, I have a CPS2 multiboard, so I have all those games.

Of my 6 cabs 3 are basically dedicated to Street Fighters, I'm a fan.

I mostly put my time into SFV though, just because it's the active game and you can play online, so it's easy to match up against real people at any time.

#24 7 years ago

Guys......

There is only one arcade fighting game.

IMG_1244 (resized).JPGIMG_1244 (resized).JPG

#25 7 years ago

Any version of SF2. Hyper Anniversary is probably the best. It was so balanced and the characters were so interesting. M. Bison for life!

Darkstalkers. Only because my first job was with two of my best friends (still friends 20 years later) and at a restaurant with an arcade in the basement. After work we'd sneak down the back way to the closed arcade and turn on Darkstalkers and blow a few dollars of our tips each trying to beat it. The kicks didn't work on P1 and the punches didn't work on P2 but that is one of my best arcade memories. I finally beat it with Dmitri with only punches.

MvC2. It is simply the pinnacle of 2D fighting games.

#26 7 years ago

soul edge
soul calibur
virtua figther
tekken
toshinden

#28 7 years ago

Yep, Karate Champ was awesome. FULL POINT!

#29 7 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

soul edge
soul calibur
virtua figther
tekken
toshinden

The 1st Virtua Fighter was a looker for its time!

#30 7 years ago

Traditionally, there were always two 'camps'. Camp Street Fighter and camp Mortal Kombat. I was always more of an MK fan and of those, Mortal Kombat II is the best, imo.

#31 7 years ago

The mortal kombat series was tops for me.Street fighter 2 champion hyper was me and my roomates game of choice for about a 3 year battle at one point in my 20s.Later I ended up getting a dedicated primal rage,I'll never forget are local arcade had one of the first pedestal cabs all decked out with awesome speakers running it,You could hear the bass outside!For old school I think an honorable mention should go out to ye ar kung fu,I found a fixer upper this last year that will be fun to get running again!

#32 7 years ago

Man... KI, MK, SF, VF & Tekken are all so sweet

I love my mame. I know its like a moped, fun but not the real thing, but its good enough for me.

What was the fighting game that misspelled "victory" with "VICTOLY"?

Another game I cannot recall said "A winner is you" but I'm boy certain it was a fighter.

#33 7 years ago

I was always a soul caliber guy. Im not sure why. I just thought it was a weird game and the moves were easy. Currently we have a SF2CE cab at home because my wife is a (classic) SF fanatic.

#34 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

What was the fighting game that misspelled "victory" with "VICTOLY"?

Samurai Showdown.

Quoted from Chitownpinball:

my wife is a (classic) SF fanatic

Keeper!

#35 7 years ago

Bloodstorm, Because it's like time killers but better

#36 7 years ago

Anyone remember Pit Fighter?

#37 7 years ago

Fireballs from under your kilt?
The ability to SCALP YOUR ENEMY?!?

End of discussion.

220px-Kasumininja (resized).jpg220px-Kasumininja (resized).jpg

#38 7 years ago

MK2 and UMK3 were the ones we played the most

#39 7 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mostly put my time into SFV though, just because it's the active game and you can play online, so it's easy to match up against real people at any time.

I also play a good bit of SFV online but, check out FightCade. There is a decent online community to play against. I love playing SFIII Third Strike online!!! Im currently playing on a SF2 cab (PC).

IMG_8361 (resized).JPGIMG_8361 (resized).JPG

#40 7 years ago

I love the look of that cab. My zback ce is cool, but it just doesnt look as nice. I could never find any of those that werent awful conversions in my area.

#41 7 years ago
Quoted from Rasavage:

My friends and I would stay up all night long playing that game on the Dreamcast! I thought Powerstone2 would be even better, with the whole 4P action.... it's a'iiiight, but I prefer the original Powerstone for sure.

#42 7 years ago
Quoted from boostedskex:

I also play a good bit of SFV online but, check out FightCade. There is a decent online community to play against. I love playing SFIII Third Strike online!!! Im currently playing on a SF2 cab (PC).

Emulation + netcode just isn't that appealing when you have native hardware sitting here. There are plenty of players in SoCal, there's a weekly Friday meetup at an underground arcade my friend runs if I want real competition. Meaning they'll masacre me lol.

SFV in an old school SFII cab, that's pretty great!

#43 7 years ago

Yea, its not the real deal but still fun!

#44 7 years ago

I'll just leave this right here

IMG_0244 (resized).PNGIMG_0244 (resized).PNG

#45 7 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

Another game I cannot recall said "A winner is you" but I'm boy certain it was a fighter.

Nintendo Pro Wrestling. Awesome game

Pro Wrestling-6 (resized).pngPro Wrestling-6 (resized).png

#46 7 years ago

What I really need to do is get a regular fight night going again, I used to host a small weekly, 5-6 people at most. We played SFIV right at the end of Ultra, and then moved to SFV, but couldn't keep the momentum going. My friend's arcade is amazing, 12 linked Astro Cities, all Capcom fighters. But it's crowded and full of killers lol. You really level up faster if you play sets with the same people, and have time to learn, small groups are great that way. But SFV didn't grab everyone, and it died off.

Maybe we need to learn Guilty Gear Xrd lol. I don't think SFV is gonna bring people right now.

It's not a bad game, but it's got issues. The netcode situation sucks. After the Kolin update today it's even worse. And online is all there is, single player content lacks, to be kind. Just the traditional arcade mode would help that a ton, let people use it to practice and learn new characters.

And it's really rushdown heavy, lots of frame trapping and 50/50 mixups, easy punish combos off of crush counters, v-trigger combo extensions, and to top it all off, the new white life mechanic in season 2 recovers so slow that block strings might as well be eating damage.

It's still fun! But I wish they would buff defense, or add a new defensive mechanic. The Alpha series had Alpha Counters. SFIII had parries. SFIV had focus attacks, FADC, invincible backdashes, crouch teching.

SFV has v-reversals, and they're frankly not even that good for most characters, are straight garbage for others, you can throw or command grab people out of them (Laura player, love doing that shit) and they cost you a whole bar of v-meter. It's a shit deal for defense.

You'd open up the gameplay with something to balance that. A just in time defense, not a full parry, but something that added 2 frames of recovery to an attack if you tap block as the attack hits, keeping them from following up with a button without risking a counterhit, and you reduce the pressure. Reset to neutral. So you have a way of keeping moves out, and go back to you each jockying for a button. But with some risk, because if you're late you eat the hit, and if you're too early you miss the just in time, and they can continue their block string. So it would take some skills, some good reads, some good reactions, some lucky guesses lol. That would elevate the higher level of play.

But since tapping back when you think a hit is coming and holding it just means you're going to go into block, so it's not nearly as risky as the Third Strike style forward parry, and it's a natural motion. Much more friendly to new players.

#47 7 years ago

Mortal Kombat Series: MK1, MK2, (U)MK3
Killer instinct
WrestleMania
Street Fighter II
Rival Schools

#48 7 years ago

I have a dedicated LAI MK2 (Australian version) and enjoy it but it's not my favourite.

Always loved Killer Instinct 1 and 2 as my brothers and i use to play it on the SNES everyday after school for years. Those combos and that aweseome sound track are what got us.

Really enjoy the Tekken series too. Hoping to one day get a dedicated cab but they are rare here in Australia.

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from TKDalumni:

I'll just leave this right here

Very nice. Whats the difference between the sf2 ce with the blue green text and the sf2 ce with the Pink and yellow text?

#50 7 years ago

MK 1&2
Tekken 3 and up
SF 2 turbo

There are 97 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-arcade-fighting-games-and-why?hl=brian541 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.