Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jaemsdavit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

I'm sure this has been done before, but Stern seems to have started doing these again. When it comes to video modes in pinball you are probably like me and let out an audible *GASP* when one pops up during a mystery award. That said, there are some I like and some I loathe. I'm only interested in you favorite and your least favorite.

#2 7 years ago

Favorite: Fish Tales, shooting water skiers. I dunno...it's funny (sadistic maybe?)

Least Favorite: Cirqus Voltaire, Copy Cat. I hate this one sooo much. I hit the opposite flipper immediately and collect my 200,000 points just so I don't have to play it. There is no way I'm playing Simon to get an EB. Not happening.

#3 7 years ago

One of my favorite video modes is BSD shooting the wolfs.
    One of my least favorite is the video mode lost world of Jurassic park where the guy swings over the t-Rex I think it too easy and simple

#4 7 years ago

IJ's are great.

#5 7 years ago

I hate Cue Ball Wizard's. It's a door prize game where you pick one of three and a curtain rises to reveal your reward. There's a time limit but there's no way to choose before the time limit so you have to sit there till time expires. It comes up fairly often too which is annoying.

I also don't like Stern's Harley video mode. It comes up too often and that is the cardinal sin of video modes.

#6 7 years ago

BSD's is great. AMH has a unique video mode that I enjoy. RZ, as much as I like the game, I'm not a big fan of the video mode...too long to load, to easy, and you can't really fail.

#7 7 years ago

I agree. IJ are very good. The Vid mode on I500 is cool too.

Any Indy machine, basically.

#8 7 years ago

TS has a decent one. JM's is strangely entertaining too.

#9 7 years ago

MM's Save the Children is not bad. It reminds me of some of the earliest Atari 2600 stuff.

#10 7 years ago

Favorites: TS is fast so not annoying and IJ's are well integrated. JM's is challenging and never the same so you can't memorize the pattern but it also takes too long.
    Loathe: Pretty much all the others. I would rather their not be a video mode.

#11 7 years ago

I love the copy cat in cirqus Voltaire and the nibble thing in johnny

#12 7 years ago

GOT video mode is pretty bad in its current state. Thinking that gets my least favorite vote. (Yay for being able to disable the mode or not choose it).

I like video modes from a first person perspective like fish tales or the new rob zombie.

#13 7 years ago

Never got the mind reading card game in SST. Seems impossible. Or I suck big time
    Lou

#14 7 years ago

GOT is boring. GB's negative reinforcement ( if you consider this a video mode) is terrible and slow. I immediately exit out of it when I get it.

#15 7 years ago

FT and BSD are easily the best. TFTC is the worst I can think of offhand, especially with some of the earlier code.

#16 7 years ago

The Shadow phurba attack is excellent IMO. I also like fish tales. Both are quick, challenging and fun.
    Least favorite - don't like GoT much currently, CV memory is too long for a pinball.

#17 7 years ago

All of IJs are great, but I might have to take the Peeper on Creech...the fatality I never get sick of.

Although GBs is freaking horrible, CV or DW are even worse.

#18 7 years ago

Top of my head, thinking of some pins I've owned:

BSD, LW3, TS, BW, NF are some of the fun ones. I really enjoy jumping ramps on No Fear's video mode. Just dumb fun and really fits.

GoT, TFTC aren't fun.

#19 7 years ago

BSD is the best FT is a close second. IJ video modes are fun, same with TS. I think all others are terrible. Worst... TFTC I think.

#20 7 years ago

Limited experience I would say.
    T2 shooting terminators
    Also Indy 500 avoiding debris.

#21 7 years ago

I got the T2 one the other day for the first time. It's surprising how close it is to the video game.

I've played MM a lot but never got the video mode. That's a sign of a good one.

#22 7 years ago

FT and TS are both great. I enjoy them both. My least favorites are AFM, MM, and GOT. All three are terrible modes on otherwise really good games.

#23 7 years ago

I hated the CV "Simon" game so much it honestly led me to sell my machine.

I pretty much dislike all of the rudimentary video games attached to pinball games since I purchase pinball games for a reason..I like the silver ball. I can put up with some but the extended simple nature of the CV video mode just absolutely drove me nuts!

#24 7 years ago

I like jumping trash trying to escape Daleks.
    Swimming away from sharks is fun on Black Rose too.

#25 7 years ago

I like Junkyards where I believe you play old games and shotting dog with toast gun

#26 7 years ago

Indiana Jones 1993 Williams mine cart is the best one in my opinion. However the Super Mario Bros. one is pretty good as well surprisingly. The Data East Star Wars one didn't seem to do much for me although it did look nice.

#27 7 years ago

Ft, bsd, congo rafting and smb are all pretty fun . G.o.t , gb ,cv are pretty bad imo.

#28 7 years ago

I like "Roonie" , just cos. .

#29 7 years ago

BSD is great - especially when yo play with your back to a door and during this modes suddenly the doors opens...
    My daughters may have never seen me so scared and the then so angry

Dr. Who... once you master them, they are great... lots of point and you get the doctors! Are they fun... not really.

GoT maybe the worst at this time

#30 7 years ago

Baywatch slalom skiing is a blast. GB's baconfest not so much.

#31 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

GOT video mode is pretty bad in its current state. Thinking that gets my least favorite vote. (Yay for being able to disable the mode or not choose it).
    I like video modes from a first person perspective like fish tales or the new rob zombie.

I gotta admit, im starting to ease up on my hate for GOT's video mode. One, you can choose not to select it and pick another item if you wish. Two, the video mode is quick! so in that aspect its not so bad.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I also don't like Stern's Harley video mode. It comes up too often and that is the cardinal sin of video modes.

not only does it come up way too often, it's also the exact same pattern every time, so you can memorize it. that's the other cardinal sin of video modes. it's guilty of both!

#33 7 years ago
    Quoted from Eskaybee:

I gotta admit, im starting to ease up on my hate for GOT's video mode. One, you can choose not to select it and pick another item if you wish. Two, the video mode is quick! so in that aspect its not so bad.

It's almost too bad to really hate on. My brother plays mine and constantly ties or loses; I enjoy watching that.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

not only does it come up way too often, it's also the exact same pattern every time, so you can memorize it. that's the other cardinal sin of video modes. it's guilty of both!

i do enjoy Baywatch video mode but it is guilty of always being the same and i have it memorized

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from dmbjunky:

I got the T2 one the other day for the first time. It's surprising how close it is to the video game.

T2's might be my favorite. it's certainly not complicated, or even all that hard, but it's short and exciting.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from chalkup8:

I like "Roonie" , just cos. .

nobody likes Roonie! ugh! third cardinal sin: take a long time and be worth too few points to matter.

#37 7 years ago

In my small collection two out of three games (Getaway and Elvis) have video modes and I like them both. Something different for just a few seconds.

#38 7 years ago

obviously FT & BSD have some awesome Video modes

but I liked JM's video mode, yes I know I'm in the minority but it was always a challenge and I never have beaten the 4th wave

I hate TOM's video mode. it is just so dumb to have virtual pinball on the dmd of a pinball machine.

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

I hate TOM's video mode. it is just so dumb to have virtual pinball on the dmd of a pinball machine.

I've actually never thought it was dumb & it actually makes total sense to me, but I was surprised this wasn't listed a bunch more; people HATE that one with a passion

#40 7 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I've actually never thought it was dumb & it actually makes total sense to me, but I was surprised this wasn't listed a bunch more; people HATE that one with a passion

what do you like about it? it's the world's worst pinball ... the "playfield" is apparently 5 drop targets and nothing else. there's no randomness to any of the shots, and catches are simple and automatic...

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

what do you like about it? it's the world's worst pinball ... the "playfield" is apparently 5 drop targets and nothing else. there's no randomness to any of the shots, and catches are simple and automatic...

Yeah it's um...not a "rea"l representation of a pinball machine so the number of....just, never mind.

#42 7 years ago

Like JY, FT and TS

Dislike JM

#43 7 years ago

Any of Pat Lawlor's get my vote!

#44 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

MM's Save the Children is not bad. It reminds me of some of the earliest Atari 2600 stuff.

WTF? What do you call it when you've owned a pin for years and don't even know it has a video mode...

#45 7 years ago

CFTBL Peeper Beat-Down is always fun. Does TFTC even have a video mode? If it is the Door Prize mode, it really isn't all that bad--easy way to rack up some points.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

WTF? What do you call it when you've owned a pin for years and don't even know it has a video mode...

It's a tough one to get. It's a pretty good one IMO as far as video modes go. Keep spelling FIRE...

#47 7 years ago

Of the games I have owned:
    BSD rules
    GOT drools.

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

Maybe you have it turned off?
    If the video mode is turned on in your settings, to get the video mode you have to spell FIRE in the inlane/outlanes a certain number of times and then hitting the wizard saucer will award the video mode. If you win the video mode you get an extra ball in default settings.
    The key is to get into the habit of shifting the FIRE lights with the flipper buttons to light one of the unlit FIRE letters every time you make a ramp shot.

http://www.pinball.org/rules/medievalmadness.html

"Video Mode

Video Mode is lit by (default) 8 completions of FIRE (on the inlanes and outlanes), and started in Merlin's Saucer. Note: Video Mode is only available in the release ROM (v1.0), not in the sample games' ROM (v0.5).

The video mode is called "Save the Children", and you must save 3 children from being captured by a large flock of buzzards (or some other evil bird). Kill 30, and you win. If one child is taken, you lose. The mode plays a lot like Defender, with the buzzards trying to carry the babies off the top of the dot display. You receive 100K for each buzzard killed, and a 1M bonus for completion.

There is a secret weapon available in the Video Mode.

Additionally, it is possible to alter the Video Mode slightly, although difficult. See below if you're interested.

"They took our children!" (losing)"

#49 7 years ago

I enjoy the vid modes for Doctor Who, Getaway, and No Fear.

I loathe the video mode for Theatre of Magic. Besides the fact that it's the worst video mode ever, it's just stupid. You're playing a real pinball already, why would you want to stop and play a 128x32 res video pinball?

#50 7 years ago

I really hated the one in GNR. Never liked when it came up and wished I could turn it off. Was one of the reasons I sold the game.

I really like the one in Indianapolis 500.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/favorite-and-least-favorite-video-modes?hl=dookski and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.