New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 164518)

Favorite and least favorite video modes

By schudel5

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 90 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by jaemsdavit
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

Maybe you have it turned off?

Turns out it's me - not MM.

Had "the talk" with my other half and he was like "oh yeah - that's a very hard video mode to get". Apparently there are secrets in my marriage.

#52 4 years ago

Best: BSD
    Worst: GB, does that even count?

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isjack:

Worst: GB, does that even count?

yes it counts....same as Congo picking a cave.

#54 4 years ago

Didn't see these mentioned:
    Least favorite: STTNG shuttle video mode
    Most favorite : STTNG riker's poker

#55 4 years ago

CFTBL and FT are two of my faves. knocking the head off the peeper is great with the blood shooting out the neck is classic. Shooting jet skiers is also cool.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

WTF? What do you call it when you've owned a pin for years and don't even know it has a video mode...

It's very hard to ever get into. I set my on the easiest setting to get to and still have only seen it maybe 3-5 times ever on my machine and never on anyone else's MM. I actually think it's a tad too hard to get to, but then again I'm a very average player.

#57 4 years ago

Champion Pub's Spitting Gallery mode is pretty bad. I really hate crap video modes that award extra balls, and it's even worse when they only offer the extra ball randomly.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

Turns out it's me - not MM.
    Had "the talk" with my other half and he was like "oh yeah - that's a very hard video mode to get". Apparently there are secrets in my marriage.

I changed my settings to 5 FIREs to get it, makes it a little easier but not a gimmy

#59 4 years ago

Best - BSD, FT. I also liked I500.

Worst ...... ugh loads of them ...TOM, JM stand out as very annoying

Worst but improved .....Tommy !! Often cited as one of the worst. Do nothing and you score only a few million less than if you try to play it. HOWEVER ...this has been much improved with Chad's 5.0 code .... now at least different points are assigned to different targets, and the scoring has been buffed so you are encouraged to play

#60 4 years ago

I like a few of them AFM, FT, MM, IJ, TS, JY, JM, BSD.

I think basically if you shoot things I like it...

#61 4 years ago

Always liked the ones in Black Rose, fun, quick.

Knife Throw: One of the three video modes in the game. You'll be offered a random award if you can hit the barrel with the knife, and you have to press the "Fire!" button at the right moment.

Walk the Plank: Another video mode. Hammer the fire button as fast as you can to outrun the shark and win a random award. Like the other video modes, you're told what you'll win before you play.

Rigging Swing: The third video mode. Press "Fire!" at the right time to land on the ship and win a random award.

#62 4 years ago

I like the one in AFM. One time I must of beat the regular video mode and went on to fight the mother ship. That was cool. Still, my favorite has to be BSD. Starts off slow then ramps up with added skill by rewarding more points for shooting late.

Worst that I have seen is JM. I can't quite make out how the buttons inputs affect movement and don't care.

#63 4 years ago

IJ is great. Congo also has the fun "avoid the rocks/hippos" river stuff.

AFM is fun if you can change the falling spaceships into cows via an easter egg. Shooting cows is way more fun than spaceships.

The video mode on GOT is the worst thing about the game, and probably the worst video mode ever.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Worst that I have seen is JM. I can't quite make out how the buttons inputs affect movement and don't care.

Thank God. I thought it was just me. I can move the hand right, but how do you drop the ball? The start button? You're right...I don't care.

#65 4 years ago

I haven't played many video modes, and only own one DMD / VM equipped game... but that said, I'm glad Dr. Who's is fun even if it is stupidly simple.

If you play it multiple times the patterns change just enough to keep you on your toes. The mode itself can become VERY lucrative if you have a multplier built up. Plus the reward of getting more Doctors involved, and the silly callouts / animations after successive waves, are fun... nothing like having one Dalek shoot another for fried brains on a ColorDMD

Other modes I've enjoyed playing are STTNG and Congo. But there's too many I've not even seen.

Cue Ball Wizard probably has the lamest video modes, only excused by being one of the first. At least the sounds for the "pick a door" (Cactus Jack and Cowpie especially) game are amusing. The "catch the ball" one is terrible.

#66 4 years ago

All are boring but my favorite would be JM. The simpler they are the best.

#67 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

Thank God. I thought it was just me. I can move the hand right, but how do you drop the ball? The start button? You're right...I don't care.

LOL...4 buttons confuses people.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pimp77:

LOL...4 buttons confuses people.

I've played JM multiple times. I swear to you I've never even noticed the other two buttons.

2 months later
    #69 4 years ago

Just took loan of CV

Forgotten how terrible the Roonie mode is ...I refuse to even play it. I also hate that 'Simon' Copy Cat mode that pops up now and again ....god it's tedious.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from goingincirclez:

I haven't played many video modes, and only own one DMD / VM equipped game... but that said, I'm glad Dr. Who's is fun even if it is stupidly simple.
    If you play it multiple times the patterns change just enough to keep you on your toes. The mode itself can become VERY lucrative if you have a multplier built up. Plus the reward of getting more Doctors involved, and the silly callouts / animations after successive waves, are fun... nothing like having one Dalek shoot another for fried brains on a ColorDMD
    Other modes I've enjoyed playing are STTNG and Congo. But there's too many I've not even seen.
    Cue Ball Wizard probably has the lamest video modes, only excused by being one of the first. At least the sounds for the "pick a door" (Cactus Jack and Cowpie especially) game are amusing. The "catch the ball" one is terrible.

I forgot about the catch the ball video mode. It's better than the pick a card but that's not so great.

The spit in the spittoon mode on Champions Pub is OK. It has character and it's worth an extra ball, it's just not very fun to play.

#71 4 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

The video mode on GOT is the worst thing about the game, and probably the worst video mode ever.

YES

#72 4 years ago

Attack From Mars is cool. Junkyard's has always stuck in my head.

#73 4 years ago

Gotta admit , I hate them all. I don't like to stop playing pinball to play a video game. I dump out of them as soon as I can unless I'm trying for a top score. I'd take them right out of the game if I had the option.

#74 4 years ago

CP has a really fun video mode called spittin' gallery where you have to move the spittoon back and forth with the flippers. Its worth big points and you can even catch and EB sometimes!

#75 4 years ago

CV fire the canon (does this count?) extremely dumb.

CV is plagued with them. Thankfully you can disable modes in the feature adjustments.

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

CV is plagued with them. Thankfully you can disable modes in the feature adjustments.

Ooooh ....I shall be doing that

#77 4 years ago

Of the machines I've owned Fish Tales > Bram Stoker's Dracula > Congo > Johnny Mnemonic. To be quite honest I don't reach the video mode on Congo a whole lot. I don't see it passing Bram Stoker's Dracula, but it could fall below Johnny Mnemonic.

#78 4 years ago

I always thought the various video modes on Black Rose were fun....

#79 4 years ago

I really like JM, the four buttons make it hard to master.
    Never liked LW3 so my vote for least favorite goes to that one.

#80 4 years ago

Good ones:

Maze style: IJ STTNG Congo

Shooting style: BSD FT

Other: JM snarf!

Bad: AFM - spray shooting just doesn't have much of a challenge feel to it.

#82 4 years ago

I haven't had a ton of a time to test BSD. Do the wolves always attack in the same numbers, example three at a time? I have increased the difficulty, but find that I beat it every time. Perhaps I'm not trying hard enough to maximize my scores by letting them get closer.

#83 4 years ago

Afm video mode is challenging. Great feeling when you defeat the main wave without using the smart bomb, then when the Mother Ship comes out you kill it with one press of a button. Not easy to do.

The one on Elvis is pretty cool as well.

#85 4 years ago

Gilby Rolls was always one of my favorites.

3 months later
    #87 3 years ago
    Quoted from The_Director:

Tommy has to be one of the worst

Agreed.

However it has been improved somewhat with Chads 5.0 code. Now there is incentive to play it as targeting the buildings scores higher points.

http://www.pinballcode.com/tommy5

Captain Walker Video Mode

Original: All targets score 1M.

Update: Blimps score 1M, planes score 2M, small buildings score 2M, large buildings score 3M. A new Adjustment 35 (Video Mode) with a default of ON gives the option of turning off this mode. If it is set to OFF then the mode will start, the plane will fly across the screen, the mode will end and the player scores 25M. Mode now starts with text “Target Buildings For Maximum Points”

#88 3 years ago
    Quoted from hardware:

I like the sound of the bell.

#89 3 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

I like Junkyards where I believe you play old games and shotting dog with toast gun

Yep I love JunkYards's video modes

#90 3 years ago

BSD's video mode is so satisfying. I think it's the sound design that really sells it for me. BSD's sound design in general is just perfect.

TOM's video mode is just sad. "Pinball" for the NES had better physics than TOM's video mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 2.50
    Various Other Swag
    UpKick Pinball
    $ 159.00
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 180.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinWorlds
    $ 15.00
    $ 19.99
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 117.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 13.00
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Protection
    ScottyMods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 9,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 79.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Playfield - Protection
    Pinball Haus
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Various Other Swag
    Third Coast Pinball
    There are 90 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside