11 months ago

Topic Stats

• 1 post
  • 1 Pinsider participating
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Is this a worthwhile endeavour?”

• Yes. Having your own signs with animation would be so awesome. It's like old Las Vegas. Where is Joe Pesci? 5 votes
    83%
  • No. Having animation in your signs will cause seizures and other side effects. Consult your doctor if symptoms persist. 0 votes
  • Who cares... LED signs aren't as cools as true neon. Buzz buzz. 1 vote
    17%

(6 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

flynns (resized).jpg
#1 11 months ago

Greetings all - I'm in the decorating phase of our game room and want to add some custom "faux" LED neon signs. I've already made a static one, the Flynn's sign below; but, I'm now wanting to try to add some traditional animation cycles to some signs I want to create. The traditional "on/off" approach of individual tubes/strings toggling between active and inactive. Here's the catch though - I can't find the best approach to do it. Normally, my Google-fu is pretty good at finding solutions; but, with this I'm hitting a lot of dead ends or unintended avenues. Mostly, I'm finding solutions for addressable LED tape and controllers for those; but, I'm not wanting to animate colors or the individual SMDs on a string. I simply want to control one string of LEDs turning on or off.

An example of what I'm trying to animate would be a sign I've seen with two flippers and a ball between them along with some text that says "Play pinball here" or something like that. For my game room, I want to build the sign with the flippers and no text and have the flippers toggle between up and down. I also want to build a version of the Tron recognizer sign from the original movie where it animates flying towards you.

Does anyone know of any LED controllers that can do this?

I did find an old article from several years ago about someone who built a custom controller; but, the parts referenced in the article are no longer available.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Here's the Flynn's sign I put together. No animation for it.

flynns (resized).jpgflynns (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.