(Topic ID: 297077)

Faulty fuse holder caused my Munsters to go dead - not the power supply!

By Flippingr8

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Dent00
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2720 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2719 (resized).jpeg
ntc02 (1) (resized).jpg
spike2 (resized).jpg
IMG-8041_1 (1) (resized).jpg
IMG_2587 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2588 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2589 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 2 years ago

Since the game's service box is not working, test the room's wall outlet to make sure that is still working (approximately 120 V AC).
I believe you should be getting 120 volts AC approximately between the L (black wire) and Ground (green wire) terminals on the Mean Well.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes.
Procedure for testing your outlet: https://mrelectric.com/blog/how-to-use-a-multimeter-to-test-an-outlet

If the outlet is properly grounded you will. Should get 120vAC between L and N on the Meanwell, those should be coming from the outlet.

I was trying not to get too basic but based on what has been said (that I have read anyway) we don't know if the house breaker has tripped for that outlet either.
As a less scientific and less informative or safe means, he could also plug a house lamp in the outlet to find out if the outlet is getting 120V.

#11 2 years ago

You should be able to measure 120 volts in the back of the connectors that lead to the filter with the meter probes.

Did you check the fuse in the service box?

#12 2 years ago

Looking at the filter on the internet , the plug on the back of the game plugs directly into the filter. I would measure the voltage at the end of the power plug disconnected from the game, and at the output terminals of the filter to confirm the filter is bad.
That way you will be sure if the 120 V is at the input of the filter and not at the output of the filter.

#14 2 years ago

test the voltage between the bottom terminals in this picture
IMG-8041_1 (1) (resized).jpgIMG-8041_1 (1) (resized).jpg

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

Getting 115 V ac across those two line filter lugs so the line filter isn't the problem. Are there any fuses or things that can burn up in the service outlet box because I'm not getting any juice across the N and L power supply terminals or the service outlet, and the fuse tests good. Ive checked it like 5 times. When you put the fuse back in, it goes in and gets a little snug when you turn it a certain way, but it by no means gets tight. Is that correct?

Isn't there a line fuse in the service box? They usually kind of screw out but I am not sure with Spike system.

#18 2 years ago

The little black round fuse:
spike2 (resized).jpgspike2 (resized).jpg

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Flippingr8:

The 8 amp fuse in the round holder checks out fine with a meter. I was wondering if there are any fuses inside the service outlet box. I don’t see any. Just wires and those wire connector things made out of clear plastic with the house shaped orange bases. Do those things ever go bad?

There may be a little disc looking varistor in the service box that could have blown.
It would look something like this:

ntc02 (1) (resized).jpgntc02 (1) (resized).jpg
#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Dent00:

That green round device is an MOV (Metal Oxide Varister) and they are designed to fail to protect items that are inside the machine. So, if there was an abnormal voltage event of any kind (lightning, floating neutral, utility spike, etc, etc.) that device will fail and make a sound that could be what you heard. It could also have just failed during normal use, which happens sometimes. They are relatively inexpensive, but it probably just as easy to purchase a new line filter if the MOV inside has failed. If Stern provides you with a new one, it probably not a big deal to replace it. Just make sure that you unplug the machine before working on it. I would also check the voltage at your outlet to make sure that is within about 10% of 120 Volts. If the voltage at the outlet is high, like around 170 volts, you could have a floating neutral or some other problem that damaged the line filter and a new one could be damaged in the same way.

Just to make sure what you wrote is clear to the thread starter, the line filter is separate from the service box. If there is a replaceable MOV it is not in the filter part. In this case, spike 2, the emi filter is essentially the power cord receptacle and emi filter combo assembly and outputs to the service box which probably has (or may have) a varistor in it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dcfan.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/faulty-stern-spike-2-main-power-supply?tu=dcfan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.