(Topic ID: 227167)

Fathom - What's it Worth (Price Police & Price Pumpers Welcomed)

By meSz

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 68 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by freddy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Fathom - What's it Worth (Price Police & Price Pumpers Welcomed)”

• 2-3k 20 votes
    16%
  • 3-4k 32 votes
    26%
  • 4-5k 32 votes
    26%
  • 5-6k 28 votes
    23%
  • 6-7k 5 votes
    4%
  • 7-8k 7 votes
    6%

(124 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
Pump you up.png
pump up the numbers.png
BE66EB05-DE82-4530-9048-B4DC0D154D53 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0379[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0375[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0376[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0377[1] (resized).JPG
IMG_0374[1] (resized).JPG
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 5 years ago

Looking at selling my Fathom (maybe) and was wondering what the going price is on these?

Game was restored but by no means a HEP restoration. Has new CPR playfield, Merf's Apron and has an Outside Edge backglass. No known issues.

IMG_0374[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0374[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0375[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0375[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0376[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0376[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0377[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0377[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0379[1] (resized).JPGIMG_0379[1] (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

What do I think it is worth? or what do I think some people are willing to pay?

I think it is worth $2700
I think some people will be willing to pay $5000-$6500-Crazy IMO(supply and demand has made this title more than double in pricing)

#3 5 years ago

at least 5k in my book

#4 5 years ago

2700, ROFL!

Quoted from pinmister:

I think some people will be willing to pay $5000-$6500-Crazy IMO(supply and demand has made this title more than double in pricing)

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Certainly understand your post and thanks for the input!

I love the artwork to this game but I just don't play it that often!

Quoted from KHL:

at least 5k in my book

Thanks

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from KHL:

2700, ROFL!

Yes I considered it as a $800 machine and added $1900 for the playfield and restoration work. LMAO

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes I considered it as a $800 machine and added $1900 for the playfield and restoration work. LMAO

You bastard (joking of course) you didn't take into consideration the NEW apron and backglass???? I mean give me at least $300 for those ..... please update your post to reflect 3k

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

You bastard (joking of course) you didn't take into consideration the NEW apron and backglass???? I mean give me at least $300 for those ..... please update your post to reflect 3k

Touché -I revise my statement and I now bump it up to 3k-but I am drawing a line in the sand.

No honestly nothing surprises me nowadays when it comes to pricing. When I see X-Files games selling for 4k I lost all hope. Fathom like you stated has fantastic art. The art really pushed this title up, and it also is a good game. I am just joking around this morning-I am bored but I do think it is worth well over $5000.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Touché -I revise my statement and I now bump it up to 3k-but I am drawing a line in the sand.
No honestly nothing surprises me nowadays when it comes to pricing. When I see X-Files games selling for 4k I lost all hope. Fathom like you stated has fantastic art. The art really pushed this title up, and it also is a good game. I am just joking around this morning-I am bored but I do think it is worth well over $5000.

All in good fun! Thanks for the posts!

#10 5 years ago

I wouldn't let it go for less than 5k either.......i would never PAY that, but that wasn't the question. I wouldn't pay what most of my games are worth now. If I hadn't bought them when I did, I wouldn't be able to afford them.

#11 5 years ago

8K by Christmas

#12 5 years ago

I had a very nice restored Fathom with orig backglass and new playfield that I sold a few months ago for $6,500 to another Pinsider.

Pictures can be viewed here if interested:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tims_pinball_pics/albums/72157697972189641

FWIW, you might want to change your poll question to: "What is MY Fathom worth?" as I suspect that many may vote without reading your full post and understanding your intent.

#13 5 years ago

6.5, easily.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

as I suspect that many may vote without reading your full post and understanding your intent.

I had assumed his intent was “Make me a crazy offer on my Fathom so I don’t have to list it for sale and accidentally price it too low”.

#15 5 years ago

No way, not with the cabinet the way it is. After looking at this I feel it’s maybe $4.5-5K.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

No way, not with the cabinet the way it is. After looking at this I feel it’s maybe $4.5-5K.

So I have a question, my apologies for going way off subject here but do you really live in Hong Kong and own 35 killer machines? If so what is it like? What do people in China think of US pinball? Are people blown away when they see your collection in Hong Kong?
Sorry to go off topic

#17 5 years ago

I’m a buyer for this game or anyone else considering selling a nice one. A really fun game that we would love to add to our small collection. PM anytime.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I had assumed his intent was “Make me a crazy offer on my Fathom so I don’t have to list it for sale and accidentally price it too low”.

Whatever - I can't say. But with the thread and poll question worded as it is, the OP is likely to get a bunch of votes based on Fathoms in general. Which will be meaningless of course as the value depends upon each particular game's condition.

I realize that my point may be somewhat moot as Pinside polls always seem to get a certain share of nonsensical votes anyway. If you desire responses as accurate as possible though, the clearer the question the better.

#19 5 years ago
BE66EB05-DE82-4530-9048-B4DC0D154D53 (resized).jpegBE66EB05-DE82-4530-9048-B4DC0D154D53 (resized).jpeg
#20 5 years ago

Cosmetics look great, though why keep the original connectors in the backbox? They are a common failure point. Also, with no pics of the playfield underside, I can't see how much work has been done under there, or how much needs to be done. Probably $5k+ as it sits.

You might want to roll it outside to eliminate all the shadows, natural light shows everything.

#21 5 years ago

meSz You can hold on and wait till you get the highest profit possible or you can allow someone to put 5K cash on the glass and sell fast. It's really up to you. Nice machine and GLWTS!
-Mike

#22 5 years ago

$5-6k no problem. The cabinet is original I assume, not touched up, and is in really nice shape. Nice game.

#23 5 years ago

5k in a blink. Need more pics but easily 6500 if the underside matches what is expected for this game and a pf swap.

#24 5 years ago

Also, what grade CPR pf? And did you top clear by a pro prior to install?

#25 5 years ago

He should sell to you for 6500

#26 5 years ago

Need a lot more pics as the fine details will determine if its $4800 or $6500. Somewhere in that range depending on the quality of work.

#27 5 years ago

Good, working shape, unrestored. $3k-$4

Amateur restore $5k

Professionally restored $6k-$7500

My 2 cents

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

He should sell to you for 6500

No he shouldn’t. Whysnow already got a nicer one from SDTM and doesn’t need another. Lol

#29 5 years ago

$5k since I dont want one

$9k+ if i did want one based on ridiculous pricing seen here recently....

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

So I have a question, my apologies for going way off subject here but do you really live in Hong Kong and own 35 killer machines? If so what is it like? What do people in China think of US pinball? Are people blown away when they see your collection in Hong Kong?
Sorry to go off topic

Been in HK three years and will probably stay three more. My collection it at my home in Mississippi under the watchful eye of my daughter and son-in-law. Not much pinball in Asia. There’s one place with 4-5 games in Hong Kong. But there’s a killer place in Osaka I visit with 75+ games http://big-step.co.jp/event/detail/52/

Back on topic... I want to add a Fathm to my collection, we’ll see where this one goes!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

I want to add a Fathm to my collection, we’ll see where this one goes!

Fathom has become really popular, I am sure he is getting a bunch of PM's-let the auction begin. There may be enough demand someday that PPS could look into doing a remake? Not sure about how it would work with older Bally's? Medusa would also be another great one for a remake, that one is my second favorite art next to Fathom.

#32 5 years ago

I’ve seen some beater Fathoms pull in over 3K at auction. The nice ones seem to get at least 5k these days.

#33 5 years ago

I've seen reasonably nice Fathoms, in original condition but aged/original playfields, sell for $4K easily. With a complete playfield swap, I'd put this in the $5K minimum category.

To me this is the best game to own from the early 80's also, I wish I would have bought one (or two) many years ago and kept them!

#34 5 years ago

I will buy it, that’s how much it’s worth.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

One not as nice at this needing some repairs recently sold on Ebay for $3700. It had over 30 bidders. If you are going to price police, at least come up with a number somewhat close to reality.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

One not as nice at this needing some repairs recently sold on Ebay for $3700. It had over 30 bidders. If you are going to price police, at least come up with a number somewhat close to reality.

Like I said it is worth $2700- to me, I think Fathom and Medusa are overpriced for a 80's machine-that's all. I already stated several times I think the market value is over $5000. All of the Fathom owners or people who want one can keep price pumping this title up, but people like me think it is crazy. Good art and rarity are why this title demands more than 5K-that's it. Fathom inflation is almost as bad as TX-Sector thanks to all the price pumpers. Collectors trying to one up each other by obtaining the 'rare' machine. It is a good game but in my opinion- no where near 5k market valuation. Different strokes for different folks.

Now back to the silent auction

#37 5 years ago

I sold one in similar shape for 5K 2 years ago. If it were mine I'd ask 5500, then take 5K if it doesnt sell. Todays demand for this title will make it sell quick in todays market.

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Like I said it is worth $2700- to me, I think Fathom and Medusa are overpriced for a 80's machine-that's all. I already stated several times I think the market value is over $5000. All of the Fathom owners or people who want one can keep price pumping this title up, but people like me think it is crazy. Good art and rarity are why this title demands more than 5K-that's it. Fathom inflation is almost as bad as TX-Sector thanks to all the price pumpers. Collectors trying to one up each other by obtaining the 'rare' machine. It is a good game but in my opinion- no where near 5k market valuation. Different strokes for different folks.
Now back to the silent auction

You have paid big money for all sorts of titles, but you drawn the line at games like Fathom (one of the top ten games of the entire 1980s)? Makes zero sense to me. I don't think anyone is pumping when project fathoms have been selling for more than what you are saying this nice example with CPR pf already installed is worth.

This game is a whole lot more than just rare with good art. I actually don't find it to be very rare tbt, but it still highly desired. Great classic game with three flippers, non traditional layout, tons to shoot for including real ball locks and a stellar multi action combine with great drops and spinner shots. Toss on that a cool theme and great classic art. Prices on some titles are justified outside of rarity and there is a good reason that they sell for what they do.

I don't think collectors are trying to one up when they are buying whatbthey like. When new base model games are selling for over Five thousand... seems like a no brainer for many of us to easily spend that or more on a nice example classic that we enjoy more and is nearing four decades old.

#39 5 years ago

GO HILTON GO HILTON GO HILTON!!!!!!!!

#40 5 years ago
Pump you up.pngPump you up.pngpump up the numbers.pngpump up the numbers.png
#41 5 years ago

Inside of the backbox has some small amount of dust!!!

Great looking game!
5500-7K asking price but I would never accept less than 5K in current market!

#42 5 years ago

That said, if I had that money in a pinball trust fund. I would have already PMd you. GLWS

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

please update your post

I updated my post now you need to update yours. Instead of Fathom What's it worth (Price Police Welcomed)
needs to be changed to Fathom What's it Worth (Price Police & Price Pumpers Welcomed)

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Ok, i respect you and like you, but if you are going to say that these are pumping numbers, then please link up your examples of real world sales that are closer to your estimatd value.

I will check in later

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

please link up your examples of real world sales that are closer to your estimatd value.

Just a couple years ago this title sold for half of what it does today-no need for documentation. I like you as well, and we can poke fun at each other -it's all good. Seriously though two words-TX Sector, and TNA.

#46 5 years ago

Please PM me the info on $2700 game.
I will find a way to buy it...
Crazy or not IMO that would be a excellent deal.

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Just a couple years ago this title sold for half of what it does today-no need for documentation. I like you as well, and we can poke fun at each other -it's all good. Seriously though two words-TX Sector, and TNA.

Both amazing games! TNA can luckily still be found at MSRP and you can even order direct today!

TXsector also a great game. There is a really nice example in milwaukee for 3000 i think. Seems to be fair for a nice example currently.

As for what fathom sold for a few years ago, then please go link up the most recent restored example that sold for 2700... i am curious how long ago that was?

#48 5 years ago

I picked up a beater earlier this year from another pinsider. We came to an agreement at 3300. I have all the parts for a restore and worked directly with the manufacturer of the true color backglass reproduced earlier this year. Had to have it.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Both amazing games! TNA can luckily still be found at MSRP and you can even order direct today!
TXsector also a great game. There is a really nice example in milwaukee for 3000 i think. Seems to be fair for a nice example currently.

Dude you cant deny that you would go into battle mode and try and defend those two titles and 'pump' them up in any forum discussion related to those titles.

#50 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Dude you cant deny that you would go into battle mode and try and defend those two titles and 'pump' them up in any forum discussion related to those titles.

Nah, great games stand on their own.

Still waiting for that link. Go back to whatever is the most recent restored fathom for 2700. Link it up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 68 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-what-s-it-worth-price-police-welcomed- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.