• 21 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by DrJoe
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hi Folks,

I have only dot matrix pins, and would like to ad a "classic" pinball to my collection.
I've played Evil Knievel a week a go at my friends house and I liked it...

So I was looking for a game, but with a "good" rulesheet.
I found 2 classics for sale both in nice condition and for the same price: a Fathom and a Skateball.

I have looked around on the internet to find information about those games.
I like the skateball rulesheet, but I am not so sure about the Fathom.
I've watched the tutorial from Bowen a few times, and it looks like it's multiball over and over again. He never goes for the droptarget banks, only multiball, multiball, multiball.

Am I missing something on Fathom? Skateball looks far superiour for me...

#2 10 years ago

Fathom is very well thought of. They usually command quite a bit more money then skateball.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah if they are the same price its fathom all day long. Skateball susally brings around $1200. Fathom is much harder to find and are getting near $3000.

#4 10 years ago

Would love to have either. . .seen or played neither.

Both great looking machines.Might prefer Fathom.

Skateball got multiball?

#5 10 years ago

Fathom is the BEST EE package... super nice shots (also kind of combo... left flipper right inline drop target, right upper flipper top inline drop ), cool extra ball feature, 2 or 3 multiball with double/triple playfield, important spinner, remote controlled drops, ...
AND super artwork, cool voice and sounds...

Formerly my favorite was Centaur - but Fathom has the better all around package!

If Skateball is 6 out of 10, Fathom would be 12

If you have not seen it yet...

http://vimeo.com/26483679

compared to...

http://vimeo.com/36512823

@chalkup8 - skateball does not have multiball

#6 10 years ago

Get them both, problem solved!

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from PEN:

Fathom is very well thought of. They usually command quite a bit more money then skateball.

Agreed...I haven't had the chance to play either(want to). They both look like fun games....Fathom does command a much higher price. Bowen sure does make playing pinball look easy

#8 10 years ago

I have a Fathom and would like a skateball. Fathom is all around fantastic. I would get the fathom and not look back.

#9 10 years ago

I like the fact that skateball has no multiball, and fathom is multiball al the time...

#10 10 years ago

Mmmmmm....Fathom......so pretty.

#11 10 years ago

Loooove Fathom!!! It's by far my favorite classic SS.

The two banks of in-line targets protecting the capture saucers are awesome....especially the horizontal one ABOVE the rollovers. Only game I can think of with that feature.

I don't find it to be constant multi-ball, as once you lock a ball in a saucer, all of the inline drops come up to protect it. Turns into a real sharp-shooters game to knock down all those inline drops to release the balls.

Plus, I love the call-outs.....

"Ahhhh, yes!"

Later,
EV

#12 10 years ago

hmm, maybe you guys are right
the seller from the fathom has lowered his price, the fathom is now cheaper than te skateball...

#13 10 years ago

Well then you definitely need to get both then.

So Skateball is a great game, think Flash on steroids where Skateball's layout borrows heavily from. Building the bonus is fun and challenging.

Fathom takes a similar approach in overall layout but adds the inline drops protecting each captured ball, a 2x (2-Ball) multiball, a 3x (3-ball) multiball, a timed extra ball, 2 bonus ladders, remote drops and an amazing visual package.

Both games are great!!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

hmm, maybe you guys are right
the seller from the fathom has lowered his price, the fathom is now cheaper than te skateball...

No brainer then. Anything with inline drop targets gets an look from me Fathom is one that can be a showpiece as well from an artwork perspective.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Hi Folks,
I have only dot matrix pins, and would like to ad a "classic" pinball to my collection.
I've played Evil Knievel a week a go at my friends house and I liked it...
So I was looking for a game, but with a "good" rulesheet.
I found 2 classics for sale both in nice condition and for the same price: a Fathom and a Skateball.
I have looked around on the internet to find information about those games.
I like the skateball rulesheet, but I am not so sure about the Fathom.
I've watched the tutorial from Bowen a few times, and it looks like it's multiball over and over again. He never goes for the droptarget banks, only multiball, multiball, multiball.
Am I missing something on Fathom? Skateball looks far superiour for me...

Buy them both. You won't be disappointed.

I own both games for about 10 years and I can say over time Skateball has had more staying power long term. Both of my examples are mint; but I can honestly say Fathom can get alittle old and especially the speech; poor rules; inline targets and multi-ball. The Fathom is alittle over done. I actually sold a Fathom at one time and then got another one back.

The key is on both games is to replace the linear flippers with the older mechs and enjoy the hell out of both. I plan to put my Fathom on legs here over the weekend. I just pulled my Skateball down after about 1.5 years on legs which is a long time for a 45 game collection with 18 on legs at any one time. Fathom typically lasts about 3 months and then on its back.

Now the games that have stayed on legs a long time.......Quicksilver, Stargazer (09 rules), Nineball (128k ROM), Paragon, Bow and Arrow. These 5 just don't get old.

#16 10 years ago

Shouldn't have sold my Skateball. Miss that one...

#17 10 years ago

Fathom is prettier.
Skateball is a better player.

#18 10 years ago

I think Fathom is a great game even better than Centaur and I own both. That being said I will own a skateball at some point as well. Id get both if you can.

#19 10 years ago

Underspin! I'm still thankful you decided to sell it

It's actually in the video posted above. Both it and Fathom are in my top 5 - never selling either.

#20 10 years ago

I just got home from a trip to Germany with in my car a....Skateball!!
an no Fathom.
I am very happy

#21 10 years ago

Congrats on the purchase. You couldn't go wrong....two of the best early ss games in my opinion.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

£ 195.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-vs-skateball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.