6E3F30F2-5649-41A3-8210-1112031E5186 (resized).JPG
A937DE74-F346-46D1-AF14-0B60451EA59C (resized).JPG
fathplas04_(resized).jpg
fathplas03_(resized).jpg
fathplas02_(resized).jpg
fathplas01_(resized).jpg
IMG_8399_(resized).JPG
#1 8 years ago

I recently purchased the CPR plastics set with that includes the topper. I can find pictures of what it looks like assembled online, but nothing on what hardware to use etc... Who has put this thing together and has a few pointers to share?

Many thanks in advance

#2 8 years ago

I tried calling the distributor, they suggested making a post on here! CPR has yet to respond to my email...

#3 8 years ago

I had to make my own L brackets

#4 8 years ago

I'm pretty-sure they came with the brackets and all the hardware required.

#5 8 years ago

When I called the distributor, they said that they sent it with everything CPR sent them. They then then suggested making a post on pinside to ask what to do. I guess I'll just have to figure out something on my own.

#6 8 years ago

Here's one of the hardware kits that came with my Fathom plastics sets direct from CPR:

IMG_8399_(resized).JPGIMG_8399_(resized).JPG

#7 8 years ago

Mine did not come with any hardware. Bought the full plastics set from Marco.

#8 8 years ago

Huh. I just got off of the phone with the distributor again, and they said that they're going to try to track something down. CPR hasn't said anything back yet, but they're probably busy doing more important things.

#9 8 years ago

The man has spoken:

“There was never any hardware in the bags, right back to 2009 when we first ran them. We left the creativity up to the end user, as many have differing views on whether or not to screw into their backbox wood or not. Some mount to weights/blocks, that simply sit on top of the machine. Some use basic L-brackets from Home Depot (a buck each) and some nuts and bolts. Either way, we put two laser-cut holes in it so folks can do their magic as they like. The goal is universal, to vertically stand on top of the backbox.

The piece is not original, and a "bonus piece" we came up with... basically a freebie in each bag, so we didn't go much further with it.

Personally for mine, I did the L-bracket method, parts from Home Depot.”

#10 8 years ago

Your source is incorrect.

I bought more than one set direct from CPR and they all came with hardware.

Just look at the Fathom topper pictures from the CPR website.

#11 8 years ago

That came from someone at CPR... The plot thickens!

#12 8 years ago

What, do you think I bought these at Home Depot or something?

Just look at the weird fasteners they supplied in the kit. Flat-head screws with highly unusual square socket heads. The 5 screws and nuts to fasten the 5 brackets to the plastics and 5 wood screws to attach them to whatever you want.

I don't even know where you would buy them. I doubt you'll find them at Home Depot or Lowes. I don't have any square Allen wrenches to tighten them either.

Now look at these pictures taken from the CPR website. Notice the screw heads.

It looks like maybe CPR provided them with the first batch of plastics but maybe ran out of them or something. I purchased three sets along with a playfield and a backglass and they all had the hardware. I still have all three toppers.

fathplas01_(resized).jpgfathplas01_(resized).jpg
fathplas02_(resized).jpgfathplas02_(resized).jpg
fathplas03_(resized).jpgfathplas03_(resized).jpg
fathplas04_(resized).jpgfathplas04_(resized).jpg

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Your source is incorrect.
I bought more than one set direct from CPR and they all came with hardware.
Just look at the Fathom topper pictures from the CPR website.

My multiple sets had no hardware either.

#14 8 years ago

They must have ran out or something or decided not to supply them later on.

I assumed all of them came with the hardware since all three of my plastics sets did. I wasn't aware any hadn't until seeing this thread.

#15 8 years ago

Relax, I'm not accusing anyone of being a liar. I appreciate the information that you've provided. I just find it interesting that there are 2 differing stories being presented. No need to get defensive. If anything, the interesting part is the fact that CPR says the hardware never existed, when clearly, you got hardware from them.

Also, I have no friends at CPR. I asked the distributor, they asked CPR, I got a forwarded email.

#16 8 years ago

Go to a True Value hardware store. I bet they have the exact brackets and most have a nice selection of "show chrome" screws to choose from. I would probably get "Button Head" or even "Pan Head" screws though. I think they would look better.

#17 8 years ago

3/4" Everbilt "corner braces" (pack of 4)
Home Depot, $2.00

"Pan screws, washers, and nuts are extra"

If you want rounded ends you have to go online.

1 year later
#18 6 years ago

Just installed mine and added some lighting. Super duper spooky vibes.

A937DE74-F346-46D1-AF14-0B60451EA59C (resized).JPGA937DE74-F346-46D1-AF14-0B60451EA59C (resized).JPG

6E3F30F2-5649-41A3-8210-1112031E5186 (resized).JPG6E3F30F2-5649-41A3-8210-1112031E5186 (resized).JPG

#19 6 years ago

I am missing the island piece. Otherwise I would probably have it on too of my machine. I love how she is on top of the "water" looking down into the backglass.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

I am missing the island piece. Otherwise I would probably have it on too of my machine. I love how she is on top of the "water" looking down into the backglass.

WOW!! There must have been an epidemic of missing Fathom topper pieces...My set is also missing the island. My game came with the new set of plastics when I got it (so I didn't buy it directly) and my game was already torn down for restoration that the previous owner was planning but never got around to. So I finished it and put it back together...I was fairly disappointed when I went to put the topper together and was missing one of the main pieces. I just thought that it had gotten lost in transporting and storing the game. I did think it was odd that the package looked to be in good condition and couldn't figure how that large of a piece could've fallen out...I guess I now have the answer...

Phoebe

#21 6 years ago

I used cut pieces of wood dowels to mount my topper because I did not want to screw directly into the cabinet. I will try to post pics later...

#22 6 years ago

Interesting, I just order a set of plastics with the topper from Planetary, it is supposed to arrive today. I'll report back what is in it.

2 weeks later
#23 6 years ago

Better late than never. LOL 2 weeks ago, I am sorry guys for being so behind but attached are some pics of how I setup my topper. One thing is that you do have to be delicate when taking it on or off but to date I have had no problems. I really like the 3D effect this setup gives. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Fathom 1 (resized).jpgFathom 1 (resized).jpg

Fathom 2 (resized).jpgFathom 2 (resized).jpg

Fathom 3 (resized).jpgFathom 3 (resized).jpg

#24 6 years ago

cdnpinballer - Nice way to mount it up and not over commit with hardware or holes in the back box. Thanks for sharing!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-topper-assembly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.