image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image-14 (resized).jpg
Fathom (resized).JPG
IMG_0599 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 7 years ago

A very nice original one is gaining value as we speak, because most of them have been "restored" with new everything. It's much harder to find an original.

A restored early 70's Fastback Mustang or a restored 1970 Camaro and a 9.5 condition original of each vary DRAMATICALLY in price. Pinball is catching up.

Antiques are the same way. Restoration tends to harm value from any antiquity that is 90% original, in almost every case.

People won't care much until the originals are selling for 12-15K and then you look at your restored one worth 7K and think, man... I pissed away 8K on that restore. I could buy a new Stern with that money. LOL!

Without any pics at all, it's probably worth 4-7K+. But that will depend strongly on finding the right buyer for that machine.

#21 7 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Is an original stock game that is in really good shape worth more to a collector?

It is to me.

So what good is that one for someone that wants to own an original in mint condition? You can almost make one from scratch these days using repro parts. If that's your cup of tea, great. Not everyone thinks new and shinny clear coat is "better". It's different and faster for certain. "Better" is always a matter of opinion. My opinion is that original is better than a profesional restoration, condition being the variable.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

let me know when that is suposedly going to happen, lol.

My opinion is this will happen when I have $11,999 to spend and I can't find an original one to buy for that amount in mint condition. 5 years, 10 years, who knows.

Why do some collectible things that sold for $12K 10 years ago now sell for $300K? Anyone have a 1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Yenko 427 they want to sell me for 12K? Supply and demand is a hell of a drug!

Do you think that your 6K today will be with 6K in 10 years? If you do, you have more problems than can be ironed out in this thread.

#28 7 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

There's no such thing as a mint original Fathom. Maybe restored as close to original as possible, but that's still not original. They didn't make many of them and they are 37 years old.

Bad choice of words. We're getting hung up on semantics here. Replace mint with "great". I've played on both a very nice original condition Centaur and a Fathom. I much prefer them over a restored example of either.

Funny though, the newer the machine, the less I seem to care if it's restored or original. That's probably because we are all spoiled these days with personal collections, shows, and the like where it's getting rare to see original condition machines in ok shape that play awesome, prior to 1990. Most of those games have all been turned over or parted out, or aren't much fun to play. Plus, after 1999, the collector and HUO players started to really gain ground. It's not difficult to track down most games made after 1999 in very well maintained, HUO condition. Hell, those are the games I am starting to see on location now, once home players start to run out of space but don't want to sell.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Don't let let market inflation fool others into believing that the "standard" price is over $1000. There are plenty floating around with connections.

Exactly...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
£ 195.00
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-price?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.