Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230907_160233590_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Source for aftermarket outhole kicker arm. Posted by swinks (9 years ago)

Post #197 Source for a New Aftermarket Fathom Playfield Apron. Posted by brenna98 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#683 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

Mudflaps, yours appear to be bent as well. I have two Fathoms here and both look like the below.....
[quoted image]

Question on the trough switch wires: When I remove the balls, I use a telescopic magnet, pulling them out one-by-one. It pulls backward on the wireforms a bit, but doesn't seem to do much harm. Do y'all think it's unwise to do it this way? If not, what's the preferred method of removing them?

8 months later
#825 2 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Since we're on the topic of flippers and switches. I'm replacing the cabinet flipper switches on the right (left side is just one, so easy) and it looks like there are 2 switches, but one is high voltage and controls both upper and lower right and the other is a lane change. Can I use just a regular lane change switch there?
Also are the two switches on the lower right flipper both EOS switches and can I just use regular EOS switches there? It's throwing me off because one is NC, and the other is NO.
Lastly, when I press the star rollovers right before the saucer locks for both Green and Blue sides, nothing happens. When are those switches active?

I had the same star rollover questions when I picked up my Fathom last year. Here's a really, really good thread explaining it all. Really makes sense after it's explained.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-lagoon-and-cave-trap-rollover-switches-not-registering

2 months later
#827 2 years ago

Has anybody used Comet or PBL spot lighting to illuminate the center playfield area?? Wondering if there’s enough clearance between the slingshot plastics and the glass to accommodate them? Ideas welcomed! Thx

#830 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Switching to comet sunlight LEDs and clear bands added significantly more light to my Fathom.

Currently using Comet (frosted) sunlights. Perfect balance between warm white (too yellow), and cool white (too fluorescent looking). The bands are white thiugh, rather than translucent. Still looks like the middle could brighten up a notch. I put a 3smd strip in the trough, and dimmed it way down. Lights up that area well.

I drove up to a local arcade yesterday, and they custom make their spots, and it looked pretty awesome on some games. Below, my Fathom and their Paragon, with spotlighting…

7A91FF0D-38E9-4E03-8F5B-6901DBD2ADE8 (resized).jpeg7A91FF0D-38E9-4E03-8F5B-6901DBD2ADE8 (resized).jpeg81B7E698-29A7-4BA9-B6CB-969915CEE410 (resized).jpeg81B7E698-29A7-4BA9-B6CB-969915CEE410 (resized).jpeg
5 months later
#883 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

For fast balls going down the outlane (the save path), I frequently get drains because the ball jumps too high, bouncing against the bottom of the slingshot rubber instead rolling through the one way gate. Is this normal and is there a fix?

For the ball bounce, use a needle-nosed pliers, add tiny pieces of duct tape to the insides to act as a cushion, and verrrry gently adjust the trailing edge of the ball guide slightly. It can change the trajectory of the ball juuuust enough to create a smooth transition down to the flipper. Good luck!
50BBEFCA-2E58-4D16-9B91-15657E35FB82 (resized).jpeg50BBEFCA-2E58-4D16-9B91-15657E35FB82 (resized).jpeg

#888 1 year ago
Quoted from Tallon:

Why would you not use a small piece of mylar?

Use a small piece of mylar for what, exactly??

The duct tape goes on the inside of the pliers, so you don’t scratch the chrome ball guide as you’re bending it.

1 week later
#892 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

The ball guide bending did work, so thanks for that.
Are you able to save the ball when it drains on the outlane? On my game alot of times a hard slap on the side of the cabinet bounces the ball via the post through the inlane gate, love it.
I saw Bowen K shaking the machine from left to right in this case, but it doesn't seem to help on my game.

On my Fathom, I can sometimes save the ball from the drain with a perfectly timed nudge as the ball approaches that lone post bumper. Timing is everything though. I'd say a ball-save rate from that lane is about 20%. AAARRGH!!

On my Centaur though, I'm getting a LOT better at nudging a draining ball from the outlane back to the flipper! And, the faster the drain, the better the success rate!

#896 1 year ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Right that makes sense can only collect bonus once.
Any thought on play again?

You shouldn't be getting "Same Player Shoots Again" just from the first ball lighting A-B-C. Lighting ABC the first time lights the yellow arrow in the inlane, and alternates between inlanes when points are scored.

And yes, drop targets remain down if you capture a ball during multiball, and will reset if/when you drain remaining ball(s).

#898 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

You possibly have your score threshold awards set to award extra balls and have the threshold set so low that the first score achieves it.
Set the game features to your desire via the self test/audit button inside the coin door.

That never occurred to me, but it makes total sense. As always, you're spot on @quench.

3 months later
#932 1 year ago
Quoted from SeaOttre:

Hi. I’ve had a Fathom backglass for a long time. Framed and hanging on the wall. Any quick way to tell if it’s an original vs reproduction?

In some the of reproductions that I have seen, there’s a distinctive purplish hue. Not sure what they look like in person.

77E5EF60-ACDF-4C5B-8A01-2224AD32FAF4 (resized).jpeg77E5EF60-ACDF-4C5B-8A01-2224AD32FAF4 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#934 1 year ago

Callouts question:

Under what conditions during gameplay result in the callouts “Air Gone” and “Air Supply Gone”???

I saw a list of callouts recently but have never heard my machine utter those phrases!

#936 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Tilt and/or slam?

The tilt/slam callout is: "DEATH DIVE.....MUAAAH HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAA HAAAA.....!", so it isn't "air supply" related.

Any other Fathom owners know??

#937 1 year ago

I have also never heard the game say "Mermaid's REVENGE!"

i've been going nutty trying to figure it out!

#939 1 year ago
Quoted from Quench:

They might not have been used. I'd have to dig into the code.
Olivers home ROM update added those two phrases to game events:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_softfathom.html

So Fathom could have some speech programmed, but not used?? I wonder why they might do that?

#941 1 year ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Back when I had a Fathom I remember those callouts. It was under very special circumstances.
Free Ball?
Second Free ball on same turn?
Novelty mode award?
High score beat?
I seem to remember they were tied to rarely won features. I used to always push to avoid having the coolest sounds and dialog not tied to rarely called events but sometimes the designers couldn't help themselves.

Hmmmm......the sounds for those events would be something positive, I would think.

These sounds don't appear to be because of anything good:

"Air Gone"
"Air Supply Gone"
"Mermaid's Revenge"

Then there's: "The Trap Is Set!" I have never heard that one either.

Weird...

2 months later
#953 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballlarry1:

thanks everyone for quick replies. Yes, making a new one-way gate is my final option. I am hoping to find the entire assembly, bracket and wire. My bracket is tweaked and very scratched, and the wire is no longer anything like the original shape. I am kind of OCD about having original parts if possible.....

I’ve made this one and a couple more with a paper clip and two pair of needle-nosed pliers. They hold up to hits, and they work perfectly.

12373458-2C06-43BA-A1F8-6ABD183F9B26 (resized).png12373458-2C06-43BA-A1F8-6ABD183F9B26 (resized).png
#955 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

If a gate gets direct forward ball momentum from flipper power or is right next to a pop bumper, a paperclip is not thick enough and after 100's of plays, it gets destroyed.

I dunno….I’ve used the more substantial paper clips and they’ve worked perfectly, even the ones that take the forward hits.

9 months later
#1048 69 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Few more days.. scratch building harnesses not for the faint of heart.
[quoted image]

Damn, can’t wait to see the finished product!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
£ 195.00
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

7,032 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dakine747.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club?tu=dakine747 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.