20240211_154907_1.gif
Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Source for aftermarket outhole kicker arm. Posted by swinks (9 years ago)

Post #197 Source for a New Aftermarket Fathom Playfield Apron. Posted by brenna98 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#132 9 years ago
Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Also what size are the buttons on this game.
I sent what I thought were Bally blue buttons but they apparently don't fit.
The red ones there look bad... would rather have blue, green, or even white.
Can someone post me a link to the correct choice for this game (from Marco or Bayarea or someone else?)
Thanks

My unmolested Fathom has red buttons like yours except the button part and the housing are the same color red - not the dark red your buttons are. I don't think they are currently reproduced as exact copies. The repops have a textured finish while the originals were smooth.

11 months later
#178 8 years ago

If going back to the older design seems like a night and day improvement, then that only means your linears weren't functioning properly.

#182 8 years ago

The linears have a smoother action due to the linear actuator being fully supported at both ends. Still it is not a night and day difference.

The linear slingshots are smoother than the old style too.

If you see a major improvement, it's because your linears weren't working correctly.

1 year later
#250 7 years ago
Quoted from Sinistarrett:

New price on my Fathom and CPR gold playfield and plastics..3500 solid. Pics etc a few posts back.

That's definitely worth it for one of the most sought-after Bally SS pins ever produced. Especially with the new playfield and plastics which could cost $1500 by themselves.

I see the back of the cabinet (particle board part) is damaged. Mine was like that too and it isn't too uncommon. It is usually caused by storage. It's an easy thing to replace during the restoration. I usually replace it with plywood (like Bally should have used).

If I didn't already have one of these I'd jump all over this one. You simply do not see these machines for sale very often and they are only going to increase in value.

#252 7 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It's caused by storage?, Most of Bally's and William's Presswood pinball
back cabinets are damaged due to operators carelessness while moving
the games around. (A lot of tailgate clips ) Operators just did not care.

From my experience when you see big chunks missing from the particle board backs there are usually some signs of water damage too which has weakened it. It's hard to tell from his photo but it usually comes from storing the machine standing upright directly on a floor that got wet. That's why it is advisable to store pinball machines on pallets or something that raises them off the floor some so moisture doesn't degrade the particle board.

Of course if someone was to get real animalistic I guess they could knock chunks out like his pics show but more times than not the particle board has been weakened by exposure to some moisture at one time or another. My Fathom was just like this one but you could tell it had been wet at one time or another. The rest of the cabinet was nice.

The fix is to replace the particle board with plywood like the rest of the cabinet has. Since the back is just painted blue it's something you can do without having to repaint the entire cabinet if you don't want to.

#254 7 years ago

Yeah the rest of my cabinet is super-nice. It's just the back that was rotted-out and crumbling.

#256 7 years ago

That could be the case but usually games that have been abused like that are total beaters and show damage in other areas too. I doubt that is the case with this one but I would have to see better close-ups of the back to tell.

I have seen the backs rotted out on a lot of these Ballys from the 70s and 80s. Once they get wet they become real weak and just crumble.

That's why it's best to just replace the entire particle board panel if it looks like this one. It's the weakest link in these cabinets.

1 month later
#264 7 years ago

I have a nice original backglass in my machine but bought a CPR one too just to have. I don't think it's that bad. Definitely better than a peeling original or nothing at all.

2 weeks later
#275 6 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I imagine theyll improve upon the cpr and the glass wont be $600 at the very least! They do great work.
I emailed and they said late this year.

The CPR ones didn't cost $600. I think I paid close to $400.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

£ 195.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Gatecrasher.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club?tu=Gatecrasher and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.