Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20230907_160233590_BURST001 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #63 Source for aftermarket outhole kicker arm. Posted by swinks (9 years ago)

Post #197 Source for a New Aftermarket Fathom Playfield Apron. Posted by brenna98 (7 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#875 1 year ago

If the price was affordable, 5.6K too steep for me, I would definitely love to get a Fathom project going. Sounds like the cabinet needs sanding and a repaint. Inserts are replicable.

3 weeks later
#889 1 year ago
Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

What is the recommended pitch?

From factory, are the droptarget set to "memory" after draining? I would like to set it up like a tournament machine.

Anyone could explain how the bonus points works. To be specific, how do I get up to 55?

At the factory we set our games up by holding a level on the bottom of the cabinet. If the bottom of the cabinet is level then the game is pitched as designed. Some of us, myself included, like a faster playing game so I raise the rear leg levelers about halfway after leveling the cabinet.

Memory Drops were a cool new feature and you can bet the game came from the factory with the feature enabled.
55K is the maximum bonus thresholds. Once reached there is an option to retain it in memory to double it up to 110 on the next ball.

Check the manual for the conservative/Liberal settings.

2 weeks later
#914 1 year ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

One issue remains, blue 5X drop target will occasionally over extent on a reset

There was a defect in the die used to make the drop target frame on some games. Occasionally targets would overshoot the track when being reset. On games where this is a problem a breaking rod can be inserted through holes in the sides of the assembly that will stop the targets from jumping when reset.

as for the replay being reset to 08 this is a sign the battery failed causing memory settings to be set to gibberish. If the battery is good clear and reset it to correct the problem.

2 months later
#922 1 year ago

Those exact sockets are no longer made as they were an inferior design. Similar wedge lamp sockets are commonly available at all the usual places.

#925 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinoffski:

could you share were they are ?

as far as i know you have to change out to bayonet type sockets

Wow, you are right, I can't find them anywhere. Maybe hiding on eBay somewhere. You can for sure replace them with bayonet 44 sockets and bulbs, or even better, use Yoppsicles.

I guess those horrid sockets had such a bad rep nobody wants to use them. Factory workers told me that reaching into the box to grab a handful was like reaching into a box of razor blades. Back in the day I did some of the testing on wedge lamps. The original socket we tested along with the 444 bulbs was a proven design. Unfortunately the Bally purchasing department bought a cheaper inferior product for production which was loaded with issues.

2 months later
#935 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

Under what conditions during gameplay result in the callouts “Air Gone” and “Air Supply Gone”???

Tilt and/or slam?

#940 1 year ago

Back when I had a Fathom I remember those callouts. It was under very special circumstances.

Free Ball?
Second Free ball on same turn?
Novelty mode award?
High score beat?

I seem to remember they were tied to rarely won features. I used to always push to avoid having the coolest sounds and dialog not tied to rarely called events but sometimes the designers couldn't help themselves.

#943 1 year ago
Quoted from Dakine747:

These sounds don't appear to be because of anything good:

"Air Gone"
"Air Supply Gone"
"Mermaid's Revenge"

Then there's: "The Trap Is Set!" I have never heard that one either.

They are used. I have heard all those sounds at one time, but for the life of me I cannot remember the combination of events that called them.

4 months later
#968 10 months ago

Bally used different types of outhole kicker and ball release combos. Fathom uses a modified linear sling shot assembly for the ball outhole kicker. The assembly uses a hook-like actuator in place of the standard linear flipper striker. I also believe a standard bally trough is utilized. I could find no picture in the parts guide. However I found this part and diagram at the Marco site:
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/C-972-3

#973 10 months ago
Quoted from Joydivision:

Also, you will need a Fathom Apron as their is an extra curved section added in the centre of the apron which covers a ball in that particular set-up when all the balls are resting in the trough.

The extra curve was added because there was not enough room to grab onto when lifting the playfield. It was too easy to damage the trough switches.

1 week later
#977 9 months ago

12v you can tap off the cabinet power assembly.

#981 9 months ago

Bally refers to the 12v output as the unregulated 5v because it feeds the 5v voltage regulator.

Are you sure you need 12v? Some lighting kits I've looked at tap off the 6.3v GI?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 week later
#989 9 months ago

The subject of slope comes up all the time as younger players have become accustomed to the fast pace of modern games.

Back in the day, at the factory we would set up a game by leveling the bottom of the cabinet. If you set your game that way it is sloped as the designer intended.
I preferred a modestly faster game and would raise my rear legs about 1/2 way. (on a hard surface like tile or wood fours)
You have to remember, these were money making machines. The idea was to strike a balance between cashbox earnings and player satisfaction.
If you jacked up the rear legs all the way and even worse, added a 2x4 underneath them, the ball drains too quickly and players get pissed and move on.

7 months later
#1046 67 days ago

When the games are designed they worked from the bottom-up of the playfield, terminating the cables into the connectors last.

#1060 62 days ago
Quoted from zimzam:

Hey fellow Fathom owners, I am looking to rebuild both the inline drop target asssemblies on my game.

I am very familiar with WPC games but havent dug too deeply into these early Bally's. What are the essential parts that most of you replace when rebuilding and where is the best place to order those?

The wearing parts on Bally drop targets are, the target and reset return springs, the coil sleave(s), as well as the targets themselves. I replace all of those when doing a target rebuild and I can usually find everything from Marco.

#1063 58 days ago

No grease! Adding lubricants is a short term fix for other issues but ultimately it becomes slimy goo that gets over everything including the playfield.

1 month later
#1073 27 days ago

Hmm..... How does the light behave in self test?

Have you worked on the playfield? Sometimes the strobe pullup resistor located near the drop targets fails and causes bizarre behaviors.
There was a similar instance of this resistor causing problems in the past. You might want to review this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-selects-random-number-of-players#post-7726824

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

7,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Zemst
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Displays
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Green Lane, PA
£ 195.00
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club?tu=BigAl56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.