New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 65944)

Fathom Owners Club & Restorations Thread Fans Are Also Welcome

By Hellfire

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 601 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by pinballplusMN
  • Topic is favorited by 66 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 413 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1516 (resized).JPG
IMG_1514 (resized).JPG
90E9681E-1191-4AFD-A3A8-E736A4E7C3BE (resized).jpeg
30CD1D93-6929-4A40-A0AA-46F0D3FFFEE7 (resized).jpeg
IMG_2612 (resized).jpg
F947EC13-39DA-426C-8DEE-66CD16016630 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0198 (resized).JPG
IMG_0197 (resized).JPG
IMG_0196 (resized).JPG
B92072D5-1492-4469-B77E-E44F7C7463DC (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 10.15.27 PM (resized).png
IMG_20200704_192922[2] (resized).jpg
IMG_5379 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5336 (resized).JPG
59E7502E-FBD9-45C2-95D1-BC80BA30EE32 (resized).jpeg
E5A1E6A8-80A1-438A-BE79-E2FD4DDC7540 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.
#401 2 years ago

recently picked up a Fathom looking for two original teal blue lane guides and 4 teal posts mine were replaced with dark blue by previous owner. also looking for a good original cave plastic mine has a crack. thanks in advance freddy.

#402 2 years ago

Ive got a whole bag of original used posts and I think my original cave plastic is intact. Pm an email and I can send some pics.

#404 2 years ago

pinball life has teal star posts

#405 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

pinball life has teal star posts

not on their site.

#406 2 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=315

'also available in black and teal not shown'

i ordered like 30 of them a month ago.

#407 2 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=315
'also available in black and teal not shown'
i ordered like 30 of them a month ago.

i believe they are more of a green like JM . fathom are more of a blue.

#408 2 years ago

Still looking for cave plastic thanks freddy

#409 2 years ago
Quoted from freddy:

Still looking for cave plastic thanks freddy

also still looking for the lane guides

#410 2 years ago

Found a good IPA and it made me think of this pin!!! Just a fans post!

547E1437-CC3C-401D-A1D6-B693B890E888 (resized).jpeg

#411 2 years ago

Attempting to restore a project Fathom that is missing a number of playfield parts. I'm narrowing in on the outstanding parts and would really appreciate close up photos of each of the ball gates on the playfield. Hoping someone can take a few photos and post the here for me please?

2 weeks later
#412 2 years ago

Hi All, just picked up my Fathom the other day. Would like a nice "original" manual if anyone has an extra. Send me an EM with price with shipping, please. I will post on market place too. Thanks

#413 2 years ago

Here are some interesting pics of my new Fathom. Before and after on the power board.
9D2400B5-734F-434F-B740-B27337B3A364 (resized).jpegE5832873-1207-483B-82C5-6ED68E50C82D (resized).jpeg418D78CD-E4A2-423E-8640-3F6D68A2BE1C (resized).jpeg

#414 2 years ago
Quoted from igo4rams:

Here are some interesting pics of my new Fathom. Before and after on the power board.

Interesting. Why move the bridge rectifiers off the board like that? Just curious.

#415 2 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Interesting. Why move the bridge rectifiers off the board like that? Just curious.

I think the first pic is after and second before

#416 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I think the first pic is after and second before

Lol

#417 2 years ago

Yes, pics in wrong order. They made the GI AC power into DC. I removed it. The other was just redundant, also removed.

1 week later
#418 2 years ago

Hey all, I was messing about with my Fathom some time ago and ever since the blue and green inline targets start in the up position. so, you have to get them all down, lock a ball and then get them down again for multiball. Does anyone have any advice on how to rectify?

#419 2 years ago
Quoted from adamsebas:

Hey all, I was messing about with my Fathom some time ago and ever since the blue and green inline targets start in the up position. so, you have to get them all down, lock a ball and then get them down again for multiball. Does anyone have any advice on how to rectify?

Had the same problem: check your solenoid expander board, is it working right? Check all solder points, put game in lamp test mode and you should hear is clicking on and off. I had bad solder. Good luck.

1 week later
#420 2 years ago

Hello,

New member to the Fathom club. Are plastic protectors for the return lane plastics available anywhere?

Thanks!

#422 2 years ago

Thanks Mof!!

Parts ordered!

#423 2 years ago

Fathom...

Did some adjustments today to the trough switches for balls two and three. Thought I'd get in some games. But no. Instead I get diver captured on the right saucer, then no 2nd ball.

Why?

Mof

#424 2 years ago

Take the balls out, go into switch test

#425 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Take the balls out, go into switch test

Yeah, when I replaced the apron, I got the two trough switches dialed in just right (afaict)

If I just play 3 balls and drain -- no issues. It recognizes each ball QUICKLY and moves to the next one...

-and-

I don't know of any issues with the cave switch #5. It always says "mermaids trapped" -- when I shoot it in there, just sometimes the game doesn't continue and shoot one out the trough. There are OTHER problems as well, where weird things happen. It has ALWAYS been like this. It makes me think this is not about switches on the playfield but the MPU instead...? It's as if this game is a little schizo...

-mof

#426 2 years ago
Quoted from mof:

It makes me think this is not about switches on the playfield but the MPU instead...?

Swap the MPU with another of your Bally.

But I'll still say it's the switches.

Take the balls out, do the switch test, use a ball to test, bang on the playfield with your fists to simulate vibration...you will find the switches that are either stuck on, responding with the wrong # or not consistently responding correctly.

#427 2 years ago

Check the diodes on the switches. A flaky one will cause all kinds of freaky.

#428 2 years ago

I bought a Fathom from a restorer about 5 years ago, who claimed it worked perfectly--giving him the benefit of the doubt, maybe he didn't play it enough. It was/is beautiful. But it would eject the balls against the drop targets. I finally went through the Bally schematic and reconnected the diodes on the coils correctly. It has worked perfectly since. I found the Bally schematics were perfectly correct, but you really have to twist your mind around them which end goes where to match the schematic the coils tabs and wires.

I am certain this is your problem. Diodes almost never fail, but you should try to check them with a ohm meter set for diodes when you go through it.

-Nate

#429 2 years ago

So I go to switch mode.

Noticed I was having some intermittent flipper chatter on the right lower.

I touch the flipper switch and it came up 3 for a moment... Wtf. I think we have a clue...

3 is lower trough.

#430 2 years ago

Second anomaly. 2x scoring turns on sometimes...

So yeah, the failure is "mermaids captured" not followed by targets raised and "dive again"

1 month later
#432 2 years ago

Can I get some detailed pictures of the right flipper switches in the cabinet from some owners, I think I have narrowed down my issue to that wiring. Thank you. -Tommy

#433 2 years ago

Beuller? Beuller?.....

#434 2 years ago

Lower right flipper

20180729_171347 (resized).jpg20180729_171354 (resized).jpg20180729_171420 (resized).jpg
#435 2 years ago

Upper right flipper, let me know if you need more

20180729_171608 (resized).jpg20180729_171616 (resized).jpg20180729_171624 (resized).jpg
#436 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Upper right flipper, let me know if you need more
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you!

I actually need he flipper switch that is actuated by the right flipper button on the lower cabinet side.

#437 2 years ago

Reading comprehension is obviously not my strong suit. How about these? Out of curiosity what is the issue your having?

20180729_224041 (resized).jpg20180729_224049 (resized).jpg20180729_224059 (resized).jpg

#438 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Reading comprehension is obviously not my strong suit. How about these? Out of curiosity what is the issue your having?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you! An incredibly odd switch matrix issue. If ball locked in top saucer and top blue left side drop target is down flipper button on right causes issues. First flip cause 3x blue (1st blue in-line drop) to register but not drop. Subsequent flips register the star rollover just before the blue saucer causing you to score 50,000 points with every flip of the right flipper at that point. Locking a ball in the green saucer then stops the behavior during play. We discovered that bending the lane change switch on that cabinet side so it can’t be activated eliminated the problem. We tried a new diode in the spot and problem remained so I suspect mine may be wired incorrectly or diode is on wrong switch leads. If you could confirm he wire colors the diode is attached too and the band direction I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

#439 2 years ago

That is a strange one. Here's some more pics. The top leaf in the stack is the white/red wire with the unbanded side of the diode attached to it. The banded side of the diode connects to the 3rd leaf blade on the bottom with the brown/white wire in the middle.

20180729_232004 (resized).jpg20180729_232026 (resized).jpg
#440 2 years ago

That's how mine is set up too, unbanded side of the diode to the white/red wire. Funny, only this morning I took some pics of my Centaur lane change duel cabinet switch for someone to check (on a different forum).

#441 2 years ago

Just in case that doesnt help i woukd go thru and make sure all the pancake capacitors have been clipped off the switches if you haven't already.

#443 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

That is a strange one. Here's some more pics. The top leaf in the stack is the white/red wire with the unbanded side of the diode attached to it. The banded side of the diode connects to the 3rd leaf blade on the bottom with the brown/white wire in the middle.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you so much!

#444 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

That fixed it!!!!

#445 2 years ago
Quoted from Thrillhouse:

Just for future reference for anyone my red white wire was soldered to wrong place and the diode was backwards so I had multiple things wrong. Game now appears to be playing 100% and I’m thrilled!

3 weeks later
#446 2 years ago

Hi All,

I am doing a fathom rebuild and trying to source target assemblies if anyone can help or have a tip would be much appreciated.

Cheers

3 weeks later
#447 2 years ago

A little while ago I built a new light panel for my Fathom project.
A few people have asked for the file or measurements. I figured it would be easier to just share it here.

Follow this link for a DXF version of the file. Anyone with a CNC should be able to use this to make a new one.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qe6y7tya6x16001/FATHOM%20light%20panel.dxf?dl=0

Here's what mine looked like cut from 3/4 MDF and then painted and wired up.

20160320_003230 (resized).jpg

#448 2 years ago

Very kind of you to share that dxf.

Thanks!

#449 2 years ago

Dear Fathom owners, I´m trying to help a friend with his fathom project.
Just in case, anyone has the stencils files vectorized?.
Thanks in advance

#450 2 years ago
Quoted from arqpuebla:

Dear Fathom owners, I´m trying to help a friend with his fathom project.
Just in case, anyone has the stencils files vectorized?.
Thanks in advance

pinballpimp.com

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Boards
nvram.weebly.com
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 601 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 13.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside