I just finished a playfield swap out with my Fathom and glad to be back finally playing it again. There are still a few minor tweaks that pop up here and there, and hopefully those fade away soon. This was my first playfield swap, so I'm sure that I did a bunch of stuff wrong and did even more stuff the hard way. For those that are interested or may need a reference photo down the line, I posted a ton of pics in the album below that I took during the process:
Besides the playfield, I put in a new plastic set from CPR, and changed all the rubbers to Titans, and I am still playing around with the colors a bit. The boards were already Alltek (except for the Squak and Talk obviously). Anyway, I'm posting a few pictures summarizing the process below and also wanted to point out a few mistakes I made.
One, make sure the ground/GI wire and its staples aren't touching any of the metal supports for the playfield. I had one staple in the back right touching a bracket and that shorted out the GI on startup while blowing F5 (burned stapled in the fifth picture). Two, make sure the ground/GI wire aren't touching anything they aren't supposed to touch. I was getting column of switches showing up as closed and it wound up being the ground wire touching one of the switches for the left star rollovers (bottom rollover in the final picture). Also, a big thank you to barakandl for helping me diagnose my switch issue. He answered a ton of my stupid questions and was a completely nice guy about the whole thing. Finally, make sure you have the right fuses installed. If you are going to be an idiot like me and short something, at least make sure you have the proper fuses installed.