Topic Stats

• 504 posts
  • 145 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by roar
  • Topic is favorited by 55 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 295 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190914_175013 (resized).jpg
20190917_180856 (resized).jpg
5J5A0752 (resized).JPG
5J5A0757 (resized).JPG
5J5A0748 (resized).JPG
5J5A0745 (resized).JPG
5J5A0691 (resized).JPG
5J5A0695 (resized).JPG
5J5A0689 (resized).JPG
5J5A0642 (resized).JPG
5J5A0641 (resized).JPG
5J5A0626 (resized).JPG
5J5A0594 (resized).JPG
5J5A0220 (resized).JPG
5J5A0118 (resized).JPG
5J5A0121 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 504 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.
#251 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I see the back of the cabinet (particle board part) is damaged. Mine was like that too and it isn't too uncommon. It is usually caused by storage.

It's caused by storage?, Most of Bally's and William's Presswood pinball
back cabinets are damaged due to operators carelessness while moving
the games around. (A lot of tailgate clips ) Operators just did not care.

#252 2 years ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

It's caused by storage?, Most of Bally's and William's Presswood pinball
back cabinets are damaged due to operators carelessness while moving
the games around. (A lot of tailgate clips ) Operators just did not care.

From my experience when you see big chunks missing from the particle board backs there are usually some signs of water damage too which has weakened it. It's hard to tell from his photo but it usually comes from storing the machine standing upright directly on a floor that got wet. That's why it is advisable to store pinball machines on pallets or something that raises them off the floor some so moisture doesn't degrade the particle board.

Of course if someone was to get real animalistic I guess they could knock chunks out like his pics show but more times than not the particle board has been weakened by exposure to some moisture at one time or another. My Fathom was just like this one but you could tell it had been wet at one time or another. The rest of the cabinet was nice.

The fix is to replace the particle board with plywood like the rest of the cabinet has. Since the back is just painted blue it's something you can do without having to repaint the entire cabinet if you don't want to.

#253 2 years ago

Particle board sitting directly on seemingly dry concrete will often wick up moisture like a sponge. My Fathom is unfortunately the same way. The cabinet isn't perfect, but the stenciled sides are so nice that I won't consider repainting, and am not even sure that I'll touch it up. That rear/back panel of the lower cabinet has slight swelling and crumbling at the edge from what I'd bet was sitting on a concrete floor. I'm on the fence about clamping and using wood hardener or replacing the panel, since it's only original once. The back of the head only has slight swelling in one place, at one of the cutouts near the top. I'll clamp that down with wood hardener and it will be hard to spot the repair.

#254 2 years ago

Yeah the rest of my cabinet is super-nice. It's just the back that was rotted-out and crumbling.

#255 2 years ago

You guys are in a high moisture area. I'm in a very dry area.
I agree that the games should be on palettes and off the floor.
But the same damage area, usually on one side, the back right corner
is where the operator slides the game off the truck on a metal surface.
It is where the game is half off the truck and the front legs are on
and the game is pushed to one side of the back corner edge in order
to put the left back leg ( players right side) on. With backbox up,
there is a lot of weight resting on one corner of the game, slide the game
off of the truck... and scrape,... chuck de chuck, bits of the back
comes off bit by bit.

#256 2 years ago

That could be the case but usually games that have been abused like that are total beaters and show damage in other areas too. I doubt that is the case with this one but I would have to see better close-ups of the back to tell.

I have seen the backs rotted out on a lot of these Ballys from the 70s and 80s. Once they get wet they become real weak and just crumble.

That's why it's best to just replace the entire particle board panel if it looks like this one. It's the weakest link in these cabinets.

1 week later
#257 2 years ago

Listed some Fathom items for sale:
USED plastics (pick what you need): https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46427
CPR NEW plastics: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46426
Makrolon playfield protector: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46425
Also have a brand new, unopened CPR Gold Fathom pf I may be willing to part with for the right offer. PM me if interested in any of this.

Added over 2 years ago: CPR gold pf and individual plastics still available

#258 2 years ago

Didn't understand the appeal until I played it at the Louisville Arcade Expo. Totally get it. I envy all you owners.

1 week later
#259 2 years ago

New CPR plastics and Makrolon protector have been sold. Still have:

USED plastics (pick what you need): https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/46427

and an unopened CPR Gold PF

#260 2 years ago

Any Fathom owners looking to sell please let me know. I'm easy to work with ... a no-fuss sale.

Thanks,

Brian

3 weeks later
#261 2 years ago

I thought I read somewhere that Fathom backglasses are going to be improved upon from the CPR run and be run again. Is this true? Anyone know of it's CPR or someone else planning to run them?

#262 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I thought I read somewhere that Fathom backglasses are going to be improved upon from the CPR run and be run again. Is this true? Anyone know of it's CPR or someone else planning to run them?

LONG ago.. I sent my original backglass to Phoenixarcade as the basis of the repro. I got one of the repros. That, to my understanding, is the same art file/basis of the CPR repros. I recall the colors were slightly off, but at the time, no one else had stepped up to do it and it was the best they could do.

If CPR re-ran the backglass, with it indistinguishable from the original, I'd buy it. My original has a bit of paint loss at the bottom.

#263 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Shays is doing Fathom! https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glass-and-plastics-from-the-shay-arcade-group#post-3705656

#264 2 years ago

I have a nice original backglass in my machine but bought a CPR one too just to have. I don't think it's that bad. Definitely better than a peeling original or nothing at all.

1 week later
#265 2 years ago

Anyone have a source or personal stash of lane guides (C-693-2 and C-694-2)?

I'm about to shop my Fathom and have new plastics, rubbers, and pop caps. With all that fresh plastic and rubber on there, the original lane guides are going to look out of place and drive me crazy.

#266 2 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

If CPR re-ran the backglass, with it indistinguishable from the original, I'd buy it. My original has a bit of paint loss at the bottom.

Impossible to make a Fathom repro glass exact to the original in my opinion.

#267 2 years ago

I'm putting my Fathom on route on Monday. Wish it luck!

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

image (resized).jpeg

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

I'm putting my Fathom on route on Monday. Wish it luck!

Great looking machine, there's no way I'd put a machine that nice on route..

#269 2 years ago

Quick question for you guys? I see a lot of you guys putting Leds in your Fathom. Do you get any weird flickering or ghosting going on for the inserts or GI?

#270 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Quick question for you guys? I see a lot of you guys putting Leds in your Fathom. Do you get any weird flickering or ghosting going on for the inserts or GI?

You'll need an Alltek Lamp Driver Board to avoid LED flickering (or other solution). I'm currently working on shopping my Fathom and am trying to decide if LEDs are worth swapping a board and buying LEDs.

#272 2 years ago
Quoted from HPR:

Impossible to make a Fathom repro glass exact to the original in my opinion.

We'll see when Shay gets done with them.

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Great looking machine, there's no way I'd put a machine that nice on route..

Why not? A nice condition Whirlwind on route is what got me interested in pinball in the first place

#274 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

We'll see when Shay gets done with them.

I imagine theyll improve upon the cpr and the glass wont be $600 at the very least! They do great work.

I emailed and they said late this year.

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I imagine theyll improve upon the cpr and the glass wont be $600 at the very least! They do great work.
I emailed and they said late this year.

The CPR ones didn't cost $600. I think I paid close to $400.

#276 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

I imagine theyll improve upon the cpr and the glass wont be $600 at the very least!

CPR Fathoms were $239 when they were still in stock.

If anyone wants to pay $600 for one, PM me, lol.....

#277 2 years ago

600+ is the price of an original glass in good condition, at least that's the cheapest ive run across. The CPRs have ridiculous prices as well. 400+ I just said eff it I'll print a plexi but shay is making them so I'm stoked there will be an option even 6+ months from now

#278 2 years ago

Anyone has a pf scan?

#279 2 years ago

Finally in the club! Just cleaned mine up and it plays great. Got a few parts still on order and it should be complete soon. Any tricks to getting ball swirls out besides using Novus 2?

IMG_0890 (resized).JPG
IMG_0898 (resized).JPG

#280 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Finally in the club! Just cleaned mine up and it plays great. Got a few parts still on order and it should be complete soon. Any tricks to getting ball swirls out besides using Novus 2?

Isopropyl alcohol and magic eraser but be VERY careful!

#281 2 years ago

I am currently doing a restoration and need displays. I would prefer green or blue but I see the options are limited these days. Pinscore? Xpin? pinballsolutions.eu? Pintech? Any suggestions?

#282 2 years ago

CPR backglass and Gold PF unopened available! Pm me

#283 2 years ago
Quoted from monkeybug:

I am currently doing a restoration and need displays. I would prefer green or blue but I see the options are limited these days. Pinscore? Xpin? pinballsolutions.eu? Pintech? Any suggestions?

Check out the advertising at the bottom of this page for full kits of displays. I just brought a set for my EBD 4x7 and 1x6 digit displays with brightness controls. These you have to do some assembling and soldering but the price is great for a full set. I have used pinscore in the past and no complaints. Haven't installed these new ones yet but I'll keep you posted. Anyone else use these sets yet?

#284 2 years ago

Pinball solutions eu

#285 2 years ago

Alright I am sure this has been asked but my top flipper doesn't seem strong enough to make the top loop to the hole shot. What's the tip for making this flipper stronger? Is there a different coil I could order for it? Thanks in advance for the info..

#286 2 years ago

NicoVolta passed a technique he uses on his switches that might work on yours. It includes a Dremel and extension 443. I did it on mine and my R side flipper makes the shot pretty consistently...

#287 2 years ago
Quoted from MeNaCeFiRe:

NicoVolta passed a technique he uses on his switches that might work on yours. It includes a Dremel and extension 443. I did it on mine and my R side flipper makes the shot pretty consistently...

Thanks, I would love to hear more about this technique. I need pictures I am a visual learner for sure.. lol

#288 2 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Thanks, I would love to hear more about this technique. I need pictures I am a visual learner for sure.. lol

Check out the middle section of this entry... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nics-american-pinball-tour-aka-im-coming-to-fix-your-games/page/8#post-3732185

4 weeks later
#289 2 years ago

First of all I want to say hi to all the great people on this form . I have been a fathom owner for 3 years now . Recently got a cpr playfield and decided to rebuild this beast . I had bought stinals from pinball pimp and I was very happy with the end result .
That was the smooth half of this project ill do a cab any day be fore the wires . So after switching playfield and all coils , switches ,lamps I felt good about dropping it in and firing this thing up .

Here is the bad part now the 1. right drop bank keeps trying to reset
2. the back drop bank trying to reset
3. A couple GI strands are out I used a jump wire here ran it to a GI that works , I clipped one side to the insulated wire then 2 out of 4 lights came on ?
4 . last thing in the very back two GI lamps blink back and forth in sink with the drop bank that's trying to reset .

Just thought someone here can point me in the correct direction and if you have any ideas I'm all ears . Thanks for your time have a great day .

2 weeks later
#290 2 years ago

Hey all,

I just finished a playfield swap out with my Fathom and glad to be back finally playing it again. There are still a few minor tweaks that pop up here and there, and hopefully those fade away soon. This was my first playfield swap, so I'm sure that I did a bunch of stuff wrong and did even more stuff the hard way. For those that are interested or may need a reference photo down the line, I posted a ton of pics in the album below that I took during the process:

http://imgur.com/a/0yLMe

Besides the playfield, I put in a new plastic set from CPR, and changed all the rubbers to Titans, and I am still playing around with the colors a bit. The boards were already Alltek (except for the Squak and Talk obviously). Anyway, I'm posting a few pictures summarizing the process below and also wanted to point out a few mistakes I made.

One, make sure the ground/GI wire and its staples aren't touching any of the metal supports for the playfield. I had one staple in the back right touching a bracket and that shorted out the GI on startup while blowing F5 (burned stapled in the fifth picture). Two, make sure the ground/GI wire aren't touching anything they aren't supposed to touch. I was getting column of switches showing up as closed and it wound up being the ground wire touching one of the switches for the left star rollovers (bottom rollover in the final picture). Also, a big thank you to barakandl for helping me diagnose my switch issue. He answered a ton of my stupid questions and was a completely nice guy about the whole thing. Finally, make sure you have the right fuses installed. If you are going to be an idiot like me and short something, at least make sure you have the proper fuses installed.

001 (resized).jpg
241 (resized).JPG
261 (resized).JPG
268 (resized).JPG
273 (resized).JPG
274 (resized).JPG

#291 2 years ago
Quoted from mattmarr:

Hey all,
For those that are interested or may need a reference photo down the line, I posted a ton of pics in the album below that I took during the process:
http://imgur.com/a/0yLMe

Very nice of you

Game looks great...I know you said you were still playing with the Titans....is the red going to stay on the 1-2-3 drop target bank?

2 months later
#292 2 years ago

Fathom instruction cards

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 3.42.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 3.43.16 PM.png

#293 2 years ago
Quoted from Bugsy:

Fathom instruction cards

Now if I just had a Fathom machine to put them on

#294 2 years ago

I have for sale an original FATHOM backglass in excellent condition.
There are some small bubbles near the bottom corners (see pics).
Lift bar and black plastic trims are included.
$795.00 (Or Best Offer) + cost of shipping. Actually listed on Ebay # 253127333975 for $895.00

This is the only specific part that I have for sale for this model.

Robert

IMG_8784 (resized).jpg

IMG_8785 (resized).jpg

IMG_8787 (resized).jpg

IMG_8786 (resized).jpg

IMG_8788 (resized).jpg

IMG_8789 (resized).jpg

IMG_8790 (resized).jpg

IMG_8791 (resized).jpg

IMG_8792 (resized).jpg

IMG_8793 (resized).jpg

#295 2 years ago

Can't wait until Shay starts making that backglass this fall so we can stop seeing these prices on backglasses for fathom.

#296 2 years ago
Quoted from nikpinball:

Can't wait until Shay starts making that backglass this fall so we can stop seeing these prices on backglasses for fathom.

Has Shay confirmed they're making it? How it will be different from the PhoenixArcade and later CPR runs?

#297 2 years ago
Quoted from Joey_N:

Has Shay confirmed they're making it? How it will be different from the PhoenixArcade and later CPR runs?

Yes - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-glass-and-plastics-from-the-shay-arcade-group#post-3705656

Shay does screening as the original glasses were done. CPR is a good alternative but I find them to be saturated in color and grainy!

#298 2 years ago

I finally got in the club last weekend, needed new boards and they should be arriving today, fingers crossed it fires right up, the reality I know I've got a lot of work ahead of me.

#299 2 years ago

Installed the Altek boards and the game fired right up! Played the hell out of it this past weekend.

#300 2 years ago

I am indeed late to owning this game as I've been looking (should have never waited this long), but now that I have one (thanks to pacman11) I'm hooked... Ordered a gold CPR playfield and am gonna do my first pf swap! Could be the perfect game for horrorhouse fest... hmmmm..... I'm scared.

fathom_radical_sm.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 90.00
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 504 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 11.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside