Topic Stats

• 490 posts
  • 141 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by Mk1Mod0
  • Topic is favorited by 53 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 278 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
20190219_231256 (resized).jpg
5J5A9846 (resized).JPG
5J5A9845 (resized).JPG
5J5A8351 (resized).JPG
IMG_4705 (resized).jpg
IMG_4670 (resized).jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Crew. Mikonos2.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Crew. Mikonos1.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Score. Mikonos2.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Score. Mikonos1.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos3.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos2.jpg
Fathom Custom Pinball Card - Rules. Mikonos1.jpg
DSC04795 (resized).jpg
DSC04786 (resized).jpg

There are 490 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.
#51 5 years ago

Hi all! I just bought a basketcase Fathom a week ago. I paid $200 for it. Its going to need lots of love and parts. Any and all help would be appreciated!!

tyson

#52 5 years ago

You did realy good $200 for any fathom is a deal

Do you have any pics?

1 week later
#53 5 years ago

I don`t have any real good pics yet but I will take some very soon....

2 weeks later
#54 5 years ago

Finally got around to taking some current pics. Started with basicly nothing. Heres the progress:fathomwire 005.jpgfathomwire 004.jpgfathomwire 003.jpgfathomwire 002.jpgfathomwire 001.jpg

#55 5 years ago

I also just bought a bunch of parts from ebay and Marco specialties. Also live 20mins away from CPR and will get a repro backglass...

#56 5 years ago

Clodbuster i have a new playfield comming for mine i might be able to help you out with a better playfield or i can restore it for you first.

#57 5 years ago

Hellfire is your old one in better in shape then mine? Maybe if you can show me a pic?

#58 5 years ago

Heres mine currently.016.JPG

Its in rather nice shape I planned on restoring it I have the insert decals etc but then i bought a new CPR so ill be selling this one. Just a matter of when i get around to swapping it out.

#59 5 years ago

Wow that is nice! Do you have any spare playfield parts as well? You can see what all I am missing.... keep me in mind when you go to sell it....also looking for a Bally evel kneivel playfield as well....

#60 5 years ago

I might have a few extra playfield parts let me guess you dont have any of the ball gates? that might hurt.

#61 5 years ago

I'm jealous of all of you with a Fathom in any condition.

3 months later
#62 5 years ago

I do have an extra wide ball gate that goes on top of the playfield above the lane guides .

1 month later
#63 5 years ago

if any one needs a upgraded strengthened version of the original ball outhole kicker arm, check out this thread

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-ball-outhole-kicker-arms-c-972-3-modded-versions-available#post-1641196

here is the model
625x465_1590893_2788291_1399629198.jpg

here is a proto test fitted and good to go
image.jpeg

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

I'm jealous of all of you with a Fathom in any condition.

No longer jealous, I'm in the club!

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

No longer jealous, I'm in the club!

Welcome to the club. Post pics.

#66 5 years ago

I got my long awaited upgrade in the mail from CPR last week.
Look at the difference in colors compared to the old one.
now comes the wait for the playfield to cure several months then i can sand & eliminate the wood outlines then re-clear. cant wait

I also have new plastics, posts, sockets, drop targets, bumper caps and switches etc

005-610.JPG008-985.JPG

#67 5 years ago

Very nice, I just received my CPR email a couple of days ago. Can't wait to see it in the flesh, I'll post some pictures of my existing one tomorrow but it's more house paint and black texta than original colours so I'm very grateful CPR did this small run again.

#68 5 years ago

Here's my Fathom, it's a project which I will fully restore. The cabinet is structurally very sound and all parts are complete just needs a lot of work. You can see the playfield has been "touched up" with a tin of house paint and a very broad brush. Oh and yes that is black texta over the inserts. Can't wait for my new playfield to turn up and I can get started properly.

image.jpg

image-700.jpg

image-342.jpg

image-42.jpg

#69 5 years ago

great to see the new repro's retiring old mermaids and saving machines not just filling hoarders piles..

this one is in the queue for a some love as well now that CPR saved the day

fathom1.jpg

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

I got my long awaited upgrade in the mail from CPR last week.
Look at the difference in colors compared to the old one.
now comes the wait for the playfield to cure several months then i can sand & eliminate the wood outlines then re-clear. cant wait
I also have new plastics, posts, sockets, drop targets, bumper caps and switches etc

Looks great! I love my CPR Fathom PF…colors are brilliant.

Here's a video of it in action:

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

great to see the new repro's retiring old mermaids and saving machines not just filling hoarders piles..
this one is in the queue for a some love as well now that CPR saved the day

fathom1.jpg 152 KB

100% with you there Doug

1 week later
#72 5 years ago

Room for one more?
In Da House!
-mof

201405-praise-the-lord.jpg

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Room for one more?
-mof

201405-praise-the-lord.jpg 212 KB

Good one mof, the rest of your line up looks great as well.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

Good one mof, the rest of your line up looks great as well.

Thank you. How are you liking your Flash Gordon?
-mof

#75 5 years ago

Flash Gordon may be the best one ball game ever made. There, I said it.

Also, congrats mof!!!

#76 5 years ago

Thanks man!
-mof

#77 5 years ago

Well since the thread has gone slightly off topic lol suppose Ide have to argue a bit about FG being the best 1 ball pin of all time lol. I personaly think Medusa has a little bit on flash gordon personaly better sounds and better ruleset. Just a bit more harder to come by.

Not that FG isnt a good pin heres the new PF for mine. Still a very cool pin though014-960.JPG

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Thank you. How are you liking your Flash Gordon?
-mof

Love Flash Gordon, finished the restoration on it late last year.

image.jpg

I plan on doing the same with my Fathom after I get Xenon finished.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from BoP:

Love Flash Gordon, finished the restoration on it late last year.

I plan on doing the same with my Fathom after I get Xenon finished.

image.jpg 209 KB

beautiful work

#80 5 years ago
Quoted from swinks:

beautiful work

Thanks Jady,

I still have quite a bit of work to do on two other projects before I can restore Fathom properly but it's now playable, flippers rebuilt including replacing incorrect coils, all connectors re-pinned, all boards rebuilt (not by me), and now I've started to tidy up the playfield.

I didn't take many close up pics of the playfield before I started but this is reasonably typical of the condition.

image.jpg

Making a bit of progress here, I figure cleaning up the metal playfield parts now will make it easier later when I start the restoration. Also it would play a little better until I start.

image-341.jpg

Here's my beautiful new CPR playfield which turned up last week.

image-882.jpg

3 weeks later
#81 5 years ago

Has anyone ever solved getting their top saucer to eject after a re-lock during multiball?
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-bally-fathom-ball-wont-release
thanks!
-mof

#83 5 years ago

Finally posted pics of the recently acquired Fathom
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-fathom-shop-job

"The more you restore, the higher the score..." (c) mof

I'm really getting the hang of Fathom, and realizing what an amazing of a game it is. At first I was "iffy" about it, and with each tweak I made to the gameplay, I got to enjoy the game more and more. Now I'm smitten.

The two evil pops sold me on its greatness. They are as evil as the ones in Black Hole, which means I have to rank Fathom in my top-5 all time. It's right up there with Centaur and Black Hole as best games of all time.

-mof

#84 5 years ago

Overall the bally cabinets are same by dimension but then the backboxes on xenon. SI and vector are unique to the machines for the backbox door instead of lift out glass.
another different is the lower cabinets will have different shooter rod locations between single and multilevel playfields. also each game has different playfield mounting techniques some use wood rails, some use metal brackets and others have a metal hinge pin style mounting.
Xenon and FG have 2 speaker hole for 2 smaller speakers instead of 1 larger speaker.
So the lowers are the same in a matter of speaking with different mounting for the playfields. sometimes the flipper button vary between the tradition buttons to the arcade video style buttons such as packman, spectrum, speakeasy and rapid fire cabinet LE machines but with a little work them bottoms can be converted to standard machines..

Flash gordon was the first bally machine to incorperate the backbox hinges and S&T board

1 month later
#85 4 years ago

Sunday was "fix everything in Fathom or die trying" day. I won.

Played for 2 hours last night. Put in at least 40 games. Played great.
I wasn't able to release a single multi-ball.
This is one tough game, I love it! It is so brutal -- tougher than Centaur.
Beat the game (3-ball, 900K) one time -- roughly 1.1mil.

-mof

#86 4 years ago

New HS of 1,600,000...

Wondering if these two posts should have rubbers on them or not...

-mof

20140731_170904.jpg
#87 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

New HS of 1,600,000...
-mof

yes

#88 4 years ago

I tried installing some rubbers last night and what it does prevents the skill shot from making it to the A lane. I'll be leaving the rubbers out.

-mof

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I tried installing some rubbers last night and what it does prevents the skill shot from making it to the A lane. I'll be leaving the rubbers out.

Well its your machine to do what you want with but the rubbers are there to keep the wireform from getting beat up by absorbing the force of the ball.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Well its your machine to do what you want with but the rubbers are there to keep the wireform from getting beat up by absorbing the force of the ball.

Makes sense. Which shot do you feel would cause the wireform to absorb the force of the ball ?
-mof

#92 4 years ago

The hits from the pop bumpers and when the ball is shot from the shooter also the rubbers provide as spacers for the gate.
Looking at your gate in your picture above it appears your post rubbers where gone for awhile seeing how bent up your ball gate is. If you didnt straighten up the wireform when you installed the Rubbers this would prolly explain why you're having problems.

#93 4 years ago

You are correct. The rubbers are NOT supposed to be there. I played this game new when it first hit the Arcade back in 1981 and remember it this way. And besides, it plays better like that. Most make the mistake with this title and put rubber on there. I can't help but point it out to the owner when I see this.

I was lucky to get my 1st Fathom as my 1st game when I started on this pinball collecting journey. Got it for $250 working with some playfield wear but perfect bg and nice cab back in 1994. Then bought my 2nd with nicer playfield , nice cab and bg a few years later for $650. This was when no one knew what a great game this was. But I knew since I played the heck out of it back in the day. Nice to see they are going for top dollar now even approaching new Stern prices for a sweetly restored one. Scored one of the late limited run CPR ones a few months back. I'll be doing a swap on mine and post pics once done. Will look nice next to same condition Centaur, Medusa, Flash Gordon, Xenon, EBD. Class of '80/'81 is back!

-Dave (Doc)

Quoted from mof:

New HS of 1,600,000...
-mof

20140731_170904.jpg 193 KB

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

You are correct. The rubbers are NOT supposed to be there.
-Dave (Doc)

Ok, good to know...

Quoted from DRDAVE:

Class of '80/'81 is back!

Hell yes, brother!
-mof

1 week later
#95 4 years ago

Started my resto.
Coin door before and after

image.jpg

image-887.jpg

image-907.jpg

image-793.jpg

Post edited by BoP: Edit. Pics didn't load first time.

#96 4 years ago

And backbox door

Before

image-51.jpg

image-321.jpg

And after

image-579.jpg

image-442.jpg

image-511.jpg

image-170.jpg

I've started with the doors while the new playfield is being re cleared. It was already beautiful but will be even nicer when it comes back I'm sure. I'm a bit further advance than the pictures show at the moment with all playfield assemblies rebuilt and most everything else on the playfield cleaned, polished and/or re-chromed. Can't wait for the new playfield to come back so I can get it all back together.

1 week later
#97 4 years ago

Hi there Fathom lovers!!!!
I own 3 very nice Fathoms in original condition!!! Playfields are 9/10 backglasses 10/10 and cabinets 8/10!! Currently I'm doing a "high-end" restoration on one of my Fathoms (eventually I will do all 3)....No CPR parts on them because I don't like them! They are nowhere near factory specs specially with color saturation and contrast so no CPR parts for me but I'm lucky to have original playfields in near mint condition otherwise I will have no choice but to put CPR's!Here is the progress so far and some before & after shots...

Playfield has been striped-down completely and is 6x clearcoated with buffing in between.....

photo4.JPG.jpeg photo8.jpeg photo21.JPG photo23.JPG photo28.JPG photo34.JPG image.jpeg image16.jpeg photo30.JPG photo40.JPG photo42.JPG photo43.JPG photo44.JPG photo45.JPG photo46.JPG
#98 4 years ago

I have one for sale if anyone is interested:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/14202

#99 4 years ago

My fathom with CPR play field swap done. Will be for sale soon when I finish spectrum to go also

image-211.jpgimage-706.jpgimage-909.jpgimage-623.jpgimage-340.jpg

2 months later
#100 4 years ago

My Fathom Resto is finally finished. It probably took me another couple of weeks from the time I first switched it on until I had everything adjusted just right so that it now plays great.

image-169.jpg

image-988.jpg

image-458.jpg

image-549.jpg

image-8.jpg

image-155.jpg

image-531.jpg

image-159.jpg

image-748.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 159.00
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 490 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 10.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside