Pinside_forum_8043448_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8029089_3774311 (resized).jpg
20240211_154907_1.gif
Pinside_forum_8020812_0 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8017530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_4164 (resized).jpeg
IMG_4163 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

2 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 22.
#751 2 years ago

Damian in Melbourne is having a go at one from scratch.

#752 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotpins:

Are there any other pinsiders in here building a Fathom from scratch? I’m trying to come up with a solution to mounting the playfield into the cabinet since the original style playfield pivot brackets seem to be unobtanium. I was thinking a sliding mount like B/W wpc era might be cool. Has anyone else crossed this bridge yet? If so, I’d be interested in hearing from you.

I am, slowly….
PAIDGE was building some for sale but he seems to have gone dormant.

https://www.pinballlife.com/the-ez-slide-slide-playfield-support-bracket-set.html These could be an option

1 week later
#753 2 years ago

Hi guys,

Having an issue with my Fathom after changing the drop targets.
Sometimes when they reset they just go too high and get stuck up there.

Any idea on what could cause that?

#754 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Hi guys,
Having an issue with my Fathom after changing the drop targets.
Sometimes when they reset they just go too high and get stuck up there.
Any idea on what could cause that?

Woo Hoo! A post where I can actually be helpful!

The drop target brackets are broken or bent (most probably broken). You can search a post of mine in this thread as I had the same problem. I am pretty sure I linked a URL for a DIY solution

I am on my phone so no the easiest to post and search. I’ll check back later if you need help finding the link

#755 2 years ago
Quoted from WonderMellon:

Woo Hoo! A post where I can actually be helpful!
The drop target brackets are broken or bent (most probably broken). You can search a post of mine in this thread as I had the same problem. I am pretty sure I linked a URL for a DIY solution
I am on my phone so no the easiest to post and search. I’ll check back later if you need help finding the link

Thanks, but my issue is different.
It is with the regular DT, see pic.

From what I saw the link is not staying in the gutter, which makes the DT pop up.

20210904_102431 (resized).jpg20210904_102431 (resized).jpg
#756 2 years ago

It’s usually one of 3 things. The rod stopping the arms hold the drop target from going too far up is broken or missing, the springs on the target are broken or missing or the tab on the arm guide is broken and the arm is out of the channel.

BF970252-D17E-4709-8462-2C90A5244B67 (resized).jpegBF970252-D17E-4709-8462-2C90A5244B67 (resized).jpegCD45F356-65BE-40F8-84C2-830F7EA8D867 (resized).jpegCD45F356-65BE-40F8-84C2-830F7EA8D867 (resized).jpeg
#757 2 years ago
Quoted from Tallon:

It’s usually one of 3 things. The rod stopping the arms hold the drop target from going too far up is broken or missing, the springs on the target are broken or missing or the tab on the arm guide is broken and the arm is out of the channel.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nothing's bent or broken and no such part as your 2nd pic.

20210904_134321 (resized).jpg20210904_134321 (resized).jpg20210904_134331 (resized).jpg20210904_134331 (resized).jpg
#758 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Nothing's bent or broken and no such part as your 2nd pic.

Look more closely. You undoubtably have the commonly broken part as shown in @Tallon's second picture.

I have made replacement brackets, as others have here on Pinside, or you can source the replacement bracket.

Here is a link to more info.... https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/80572-modified-bally-in-line-drop-target-bracket-and-why-it-works/

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Look more closely. You undoubtably have the commonly broken part as shown in Tallon's second picture.
I have made replacement brackets, as others have here on Pinside, or you can source the replacement bracket.
Here is a link to more info.... https://www.aussiearcade.com/topic/80572-modified-bally-in-line-drop-target-bracket-and-why-it-works/

It's not the in line ^^'
It's the big 5 bank on the left, and really can't spot this part in the mech.
I see it on my inlines but they are fine.

Here the issue is with the big 5 regular DT bank.
If this part should be on the regular mech as well, then I am missing all!

Would anyone have a pic of their 5 bank?

#760 2 years ago

Any of these help?

2F348B84-8ECA-45B3-9B01-47932F8BE526 (resized).jpeg2F348B84-8ECA-45B3-9B01-47932F8BE526 (resized).jpeg5B9CF58F-0BFD-4CDF-A373-DF792E009493 (resized).jpeg5B9CF58F-0BFD-4CDF-A373-DF792E009493 (resized).jpeg86B9B171-0D11-4CD3-959C-E4481A2C3C48 (resized).jpeg86B9B171-0D11-4CD3-959C-E4481A2C3C48 (resized).jpegA8567C77-0634-405E-9029-9D12872E2E2A (resized).jpegA8567C77-0634-405E-9029-9D12872E2E2A (resized).jpeg
#761 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Any of these help?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Many thanks!
It is indeed exactly like mine and does have the small part from above.

Really weird... so my issue is definitely coming from some place else

#762 2 years ago

So your problem is the targets are staying too far up above the play field after the bank resets all of them to the up position?

#763 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

So your problem is the targets are staying too far up above the play field after the bank resets all of them to the up position?

Yep exactly.
And from what I saw on the machine, the links are not within their guides when this happens, as guessed by the people above.
But the culprit they give me ain't there... ^^'

#764 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Yep exactly.
And from what I saw on the machine, the links are not within their guides when this happens, as guessed by the people above.

Is the reset bar coming back down so that it’s not pushing up on the target links? If so, did you put the same coil stop back in? Is the reset bar oriented correctly?

#765 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Yep exactly.

Does it happen if you manually operate the reset bar and/or solenoid? Can you trigger it with the playfield up and get a slow motion iphone video?

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Yep exactly.

I had the probleme with mine… two thing to look at…

The slot where the switch actuator goes is wear, or the actuator himself is wear. Hope is help…

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from jjga:

Does it happen if you manually operate the reset bar and/or solenoid? Can you trigger it with the playfield up and get a slow motion iphone video?

nope, does not happen manually.
Don't have an iphone

Will try to change the links, as suggested below.

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

nope, does not happen manually.
Don't have an iphone
Will try to change the links, as suggested below.

Any chance it happens in solenoid test mode so you can at least see it directly even if it's fast?

#769 2 years ago

Well it looks like i'll be temporarily out of the club here. I've accepted an offer on my beautiful original Fathom.

Can i rejoin this club when my Mermaid comes, or is it Bally only?

1 week later
#770 2 years ago

Changing the links seems to have done the trick!

Next question: I have an alltek MPU and sometimes it wants to release the ball on the Cave trap thougb there still drop targets up, therefore blocking the ball.
Any idea?

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

release the ball on the Cave trap thougb there still drop targets up, therefore blocking the ball.
Any idea?

I would reflow the header pins on the solenoid expander board.

1 week later
#772 2 years ago

Does anyone know if there are reproduction backglasses available for Fathom?

Thanks

#773 2 years ago
Quoted from MVCO:

Does anyone know if there are reproduction backglasses available for Fathom?
Thanks

I know there is a very nice original for sale that’s at the same price as Shay sells his awesome reproduction BGs.

Look here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/119332

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

I would reflow the header pins on the solenoid expander board.

Had unfortunately no effect. It only happens sometimes, seems related to a specific actiob

Looks like a code issue with the rules in the Alltek MPU?

#775 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

I know there is a very nice original for sale that’s at the same price as Shay sells his awesome reproduction BGs.
Look here:

I’ve seen that backglass and it’s indeed very nice.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from zahner:

Look here:

So do I lol
The original silk screened back glass has no saturation of color!
The reproductions are saturated Which makes For slightly burry detail on the repro. The originals are crisp and the mirroring is better!

#777 2 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Bombing Science
is the company out of Canada

Ordered from them many times.... usually cheaper than Dick Blick and quick shipping.

#778 2 years ago

I'm glad I waited for this day to happen. Really excited to get to this project this fall. Mine is beautiful but has one long but in the top 1/4 of the playfield where someone tried to remove the mylar. Now it will be immaculate.

Fathom CPR (resized).pngFathom CPR (resized).png
#779 2 years ago
Quoted from Nihonmasa:

Had unfortunately no effect. It only happens sometimes, seems related to a specific actiob
Looks like a code issue with the rules in the Alltek MPU?

Bump

#780 2 years ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

I'm glad I waited for this day to happen. Really excited to get to this project this fall. Mine is beautiful but has one long but in the top 1/4 of the playfield where someone tried to remove the mylar. Now it will be immaculate.[quoted image]

already sold out?

#781 2 years ago

more on the way, we tested a small batch to see how they printed but more are in the pipeline

#782 2 years ago

I have a CPR Gold Fathom playfield for sale $900 in Reno NV

#783 2 years ago
Quoted from CPR:

more on the way, we tested a small batch to see how they printed but more are in the pipeline

Wish i could upvote this 6 times. just sold my Bally that was beautiful machine because i have a Mermaid coming, bu the playfield was the only bit missing from one of the best preservations i've ever seen.

#784 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can get the 4 blue lane guide plastics?

Also is there a source for new star rollovers?

I have a cpr pf on the way, is there anything I need to buy for my tech before he starts the swap?

Txs guys!!

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I have a cpr pf on the way, is there anything I need to buy for my tech before he starts the swap?

CPR use to include the star rollovers so before you look for a source maybe reach out to CPR and see if they're included with the pf!

#786 2 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone know where I can get the 4 blue lane guide plastics?

Pinball resource

#787 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

CPR use to include the star rollovers so before you look for a source maybe reach out to CPR and see if they're included with the pf!

If they don't still include them they sell them too...

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-miscellaneous/nylon-rollover-stars/

#788 2 years ago

Got email response that they include them with games that need them.

3 weeks later
#789 2 years ago

I bought my Fathom in 2006 from Tim Arnold at the Pinball Hall of Fame for $1000. It was in terrible shape, but I loved playing it!

I finally put some work into it in 2019 - CPR Gold playfield, LEDs, assorted parts. It was a huge improvement.

My Fathom sat all alone until a few weeks ago, when it was joined by a shiny new Centaur. They belong together!

Centaur and Fathom (resized).jpegCentaur and Fathom (resized).jpegFathom playfield (new) (resized).jpegFathom playfield (new) (resized).jpeg
#790 2 years ago
Quoted from Cayman:

I bought my Fathom in 2006 from Tim Arnold at the Pinball Hall of Fame for $1000. It was in terrible shape, but I loved playing it!
I finally put some work into it in 2019 - CPR Gold playfield, LEDs, assorted parts. It was a huge improvement.
My Fathom sat all alone until a few weeks ago, when it was joined by a shiny new Centaur. They belong together!

They make a great team! I have that combo myself. Beautiful machines!

#791 2 years ago

I had both at one stage but thought they were too similar. I sold Centaur because fathom was the better of the two in my eyes.

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from Cayman:

Nice on the Fathom PF swap. Came out great! My pairing is Fathom and Flash Gordon.

#793 2 years ago

Lucked out and snagged one of the 6 CPR Fathom PFs that were opened up to purchase today. I've been on their mailing lists before and got hosed so pulled the trigger pronto. I bought the plastics set as well, so I have no excuse for not starting on mine that's been sitting in storage for 7 years. Looking forward to finally working on a SS game; last one I did was a Bally Kiss back in 2004... repinning those tiny buggers was BRUTAL!!! Still plays great though so it was worth it.

#794 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I have no excuse for not starting on mine that's been sitting in storage for 7 years. Looking forward to finally working on a SS game

I'm thinking playing that one at the York Show I bought got you thinking.....

What a great game you helped explain some of the rule sets; it's a real blast to play.

Quoted from Dono:

Lucked out and snagged one of the 6 CPR Fathom PFs

Yep, they are out of stock now, good thing you got one when you could.

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from ckcsm:

I'm thinking playing that one at the York Show I bought got you thinking.....
What a great game you helped explain some of the rule sets; it's a real blast to play.

Yep, they are out of stock now, good thing you got one when you could.

I emailed Kevin a few weeks back and said they'd only produced 6 on the latest run; I knew they'd go quick. I have a Halifax repro but it's made from a thinner ply, has registration issues and at least IMO needs to be re-cleared as the original's clear is ultra-thin.

4 weeks later
#796 2 years ago

Happy to say I joined the club over the weekend with a nice original! I have to go through everything in the short term, but in the long term, it'll get a playfield swap and a cabinet restore.

20211213_164948 (resized).jpg20211213_164948 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#797 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Lucked out and snagged one of the 6 CPR Fathom PFs that were opened up to purchase today. I've been on their mailing lists before and got hosed so pulled the trigger pronto.

I bought one of those six, too and also bought a new backglass. Now I can start to restore my old Fathom - which is in a bad condition.

But first of all I made a frame for the old backglass - and I think it looks quiet good!

C4454739-A279-4899-9106-5B888BCC7728 (resized).jpegC4454739-A279-4899-9106-5B888BCC7728 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#798 2 years ago

Hello Fathom owners...........Been a touch over a month since she showed up in my life but I'm happy to say......I'm in the club!

Nice looking Fathom IMHO. CPR Gold playfield, Alltek CPU, new plastics, rubbers, a mix of Comet cool white and frosted blue SMD's, fresh clean stencil job on the cabinet, I could go on and on gushing about the game.

Shout out to Sleaterkiss for the sale and for helping me load her up in the truck. Super cool man.
Also, a big thanks goes out to freddy for the original backglass.

Anyway..............she could use some board cleaning and minor other things, but it plays really good and I'm stoked to have it in the lineup.

In the last month she has had a few issues but nothing to make me stop playing it....(well except that one wire that broke off the upper flipper coil....easy fix..)............. anyway........I need to address a sticky 5x drop on the top set of drops soon but more important to me for now is an issue with the extra ball award.

When you hit the 1-2-3 drops in sequence it lights the extra ball. The standup registers but is not awarding the ball. Where should I be looking to solve this?

66251964454__50635A58-CB61-43CB-8ACD-F6C9B4208B6B (resized).jpg66251964454__50635A58-CB61-43CB-8ACD-F6C9B4208B6B (resized).jpg
#799 2 years ago
Quoted from lifefloat:

Hello Fathom owners...........Been a touch over a month since she showed up in my life but I'm happy to say......I'm in the club!
Nice looking Fathom IMHO. CPR Gold playfield, Alltek CPU, new plastics, rubbers, a mix of Comet cool white and frosted blue SMD's, fresh clean stencil job on the cabinet, I could go on and on gushing about the game.
Shout out to Sleaterkiss for the sale and for helping me load her up in the truck. Super cool man.
Also, a big thanks goes out to freddy for the original backglass.
Anyway..............she could use some board cleaning and minor other things, but it plays really good and I'm stoked to have it in the lineup.
In the last month she has had a few issues but nothing to make me stop playing it....(well except that one wire that broke off the upper flipper coil....easy fix..)............. anyway........I need to address a sticky 5x drop on the top set of drops soon but more important to me for now is an issue with the extra ball award.
When you hit the 1-2-3 drops in sequence it lights the extra ball. The standup registers but is not awarding the ball. Where should I be looking to solve this? [quoted image]

most likely your dip switch option regarding EB award, i would check the manual and cross reference your dip switches on the MPU board.

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from hisokajp:

most likely your dip switch option

Yeah.........I kinda think it will be as simple as that. Problem is I don't have a manual for this game yet.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
There are 1,077 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 22.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fathom-owners-club/page/16?hl=jjga and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.